+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with fear and panic

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,163 times in 8,181 posts

Default Re: Meditation in an Emergency

Quote Posted by kudzy (here)
    I found the following 22 minute long podcast to be profoundly insightful and helpful. It offers some excellent advice to help one stay calm and centered. Meditation is a great tool to have. I sincerely hope that you find it equally helpful in these trying times. Please give this a listen. I promise you won't be disappointed.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/193-m...ion-emergency/

Be safe and smart.
    Much love,
    Darren
    That link took me to a page that says I have to be a subscriber.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

anandacate (4th April 2020), Bill Ryan (4th April 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,527 times in 642 posts

Default Re: Dealing with fear and panic

Here's another way:

(Sir) Anthony Hopkins asked a Jesuit priest friend of his:

"What's the best short prayer you know?"

The priest answered, "F--k it."

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

anandacate (4th April 2020), Ben (4th April 2020), Bill Ryan (4th April 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020), muxfolder (24th March 2020), pyrangello (24th March 2020)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,309 times in 5,717 posts

This was very soothing to me this pm.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

anandacate (4th April 2020), Bill Ryan (4th April 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020), muxfolder (24th March 2020), pyrangello (24th March 2020)

7. Link to Post #24
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Dr. Brownstein: COVID-19 is Much Less Deadly than the Common Flu
    https://healthimpactnews.com/2020/dr...he-common-flu/
    Last edited by Tomkoyote; 24th March 2020 at 03:54.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tomkoyote For This Post:

anandacate (4th April 2020), AutumnW (16th May 2020), Bill Ryan (4th April 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020), muxfolder (24th March 2020), pyrangello (24th March 2020)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,742 times in 2,090 posts

It was Jan 21 when I posted the first message on the Wuhan outbreak. Since that time of blowing the trumpet in all directions not just here on avalon, I have also been spreading the word to friends and family thru various means. Including alerting customers daily in a business I own. It's been an exhausting challenge mostly dealing with people, friends , and family who live in their own bubble and recognize nothing else around them except their own world. Combating that intellectual ignorance culminated today as the state of Michigan just mandated self isolation for non essential citizens of the state and their occupations.

Coming home this evening it wasn't as much fear or panic but just total exhaustion and an end to a mission of attempting to alert as many of those that would listen.i almost feel as this chapter is closed now since the self isolation started at midnight that has just passed. I havnt been here on Avalon or anything else due to I just needed a break and time to rest my soul.

I,'ve always said life is like a pendulum, it swings hard to the left or the right but at the end of the day it always seems to find a way to come back to center only to start all over again. Dealing with fear,panic,anxiety,or anything out of the norm can be so taxing to an individual's spirit. Stepping back isn,t a crime,it's actually a needed tool to stay healthy and vibrant to assist others who are not as dynamic. I would submit to you many if not most of the Avalon family are in that dynamic category. Even sounding off here is a form of release and tool for regrouping to that healthy center again.

Remember fear and or panic doesnt really exist if you don't allow that to happen. And you are in charge of yourself and what you allow to enter. Glad to be here in the Avalon family.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

anandacate (4th April 2020), Ben (4th April 2020), Bill Ryan (4th April 2020), earthdreamer (24th March 2020), Forest Denizen (4th April 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020), muxfolder (24th March 2020)

11. Link to Post #26
    Finland Avalon Member muxfolder's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,851 times in 668 posts

Social media is now the worst and spreading panic like never before. I used to like to be there, where mainstream media was not present yet (I stopped watching tv 2004). But we're all gonna ****ing die then. Yeah. That's what they say. Well, at least that's true.

[IMG][/IMG]

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to muxfolder For This Post:

anandacate (4th April 2020), Ben (4th April 2020), Bill Ryan (4th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), Forest Denizen (4th April 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st October 2020)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 times in 233 posts

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    You're not alone, brother. We will get through this and it will lead to something better.

I hope these will help anyone dealing with fear and anxiety.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

~ Frank Herbert, Dune

Staying Conscious in the Face of Adversity | A Special Message From Eckhart Tolle

Corona Lockdown! Can Anything Positive Come From This?! | Russell Brand

Deep peace - Reassuring words

Thanks Wind, I really resonate with John Butler. What a wonderfully wise and gentle soul.

I've just watched this one about coronavirus fear, and shared it to loads of my friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVhQpOx_x0Y
    Last edited by Ben; 4th April 2020 at 22:34.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Post:

anandacate (4th April 2020), Bill Ryan (4th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), Forest Denizen (4th April 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020), muxfolder (5th April 2020), pueblo (5th April 2020), Wind (4th April 2020)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,258 times in 2,177 posts

How to deal with fear, imho...

To completely remove ALL fear first look at what is causing the fear/s, acknowledge them, then let the thoughts of fear gently go and focus on LOVE; practise some love, give/receive some love, try being love...

Love removes all the nutrients that fear needs to survive and grow.

Oh and turn off the TV/PC too!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

AutumnW (16th May 2020), Bill Ryan (5th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020), muxfolder (5th April 2020)

17. Link to Post #29
    South Africa Avalon Member JohanB's Avatar
    Language
    Afrikaans
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 times in 166 posts

Almost all of us have our ways and develop techniques as we age. For what it's worth

Mine is to listen to music that "gells" with me or read some inspirational writings like:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiderata

Desiderata
    Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.[3]

Last edited by JohanB; 5th April 2020 at 15:13.
    Life is good, almost always !

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JohanB For This Post:

AutumnW (16th May 2020), Bill Ryan (5th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), greybeard (16th May 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (2nd October 2020), muxfolder (5th April 2020), pueblo (5th April 2020), Wind (5th April 2020)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

It's been 2 months already and I still have sore throat. I even got tested for corona and the test came back negative. Basically I'm fine, but I should be home anyway. **** this ****.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to muxfolder For This Post:

AutumnW (16th May 2020), Bill Ryan (1st October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (2nd October 2020)

21. Link to Post #31
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Hi
    Im getting paranoid well not really.
    It just may be that the high speed internet hub (Wi Fi Network) I have is not good for health.
    Ive ordered Ethernet cable to use instead, it just plugs into the telephone socket and PC or laptop.
    Every home uses the hub for internet and providers Talktalk say dont switch it off or it will slow down -- oh yeah!!!--
    The energy in the kitchen seems better than the energy in the living room.
    Just covering all bases

Any thoughts on this welcome.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (2nd October 2020), muxfolder (16th May 2020)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,163 times in 8,181 posts

Chris, if you live on your own with one PC ( or at least only one at a time ), there is no need for wifi at all.

You're doing the right thing.

Report back in a few months after you've turned off that radio fly zapper.

edit:

but, how are you going to find a router that doesn't have wifi permanently on when it's powered up? I can't find the old type any more.
    Last edited by norman; 16th May 2020 at 13:20.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), greybeard (16th May 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (2nd October 2020), muxfolder (16th May 2020)

25. Link to Post #33
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Chris, if you live on your own with one PC ( or at least only one at a time ), there is no need for wifi at all.

You're doing the right thing.

Report back in a few months after you've turned off that radio fly zapper.

edit:

but, how are you going to find a router that doesn't have wifi permanently on when it's powered up? I can't find the old type any more.

Thanks Norman
    Now here is the thing == my new laptop has no ethernet plug input -- very strange
    I have my PC conected to the Talktalk modem Ethernet out put it will not allow conection unless switched on PC says no cable.
    I got a new modem about six month ago and since then been more forgetful and over tired --coincidence?

Iv tried directly connecting PC bypassing modem says no cable.
    It would seem fast broad band needs the the new fibre modem which is twice the size of the old one and takes longer to warm up.
    I wish I had kept the old modem. That would probably not work now as the connection was maid at the main British Telecom.

Very suspicious.

Any suggestions?
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), Ernie Nemeth (16th May 2020), muxfolder (17th May 2020)

27. Link to Post #34
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Norman, Greybeard,

These "suggestions" are not helpful to tame anxiety and fear. They feed it. I suggest people who "just know" what is really going on, take a break, quit over-thinking and yield to the mystery of life.

The alternative media is creating totally unnecessary and terrifying scenarios that are far worse than anything the mainstream media is coming up with.

Be cautious, not fearful and lean into uncertainty.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st October 2020), greybeard (16th May 2020)

29. Link to Post #35
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Quote Posted by muxfolder (here)
    It's been 2 months already and I still have sore throat. I even got tested for corona and the test came back negative. Basically I'm fine, but I should be home anyway. **** this ****.
    Mux, have you been swabbed for bacterial infection. They can persist for a long long time. I hope you are feeling better emotionally. Just know you can always come here and pour your heart out. You will be understood and many Avalonians will be happy to help you.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), Gwin Ru (16th May 2020), muxfolder (17th May 2020)

31. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    Mux, have you been swabbed for bacterial infection. They can persist for a long long time. I hope you are feeling better emotionally. Just know you can always come here and pour your heart out. You will be understood and many Avalonians will be happy to help you.
    Most likely this is some sort of bacterial infection. I did see a nurse (yep, not even a doctor) and she did all the tests and came to conclusion I should be just fine. It's just very annoying to feel a bit ****ty all the time for more than 2 months, that's all. At least it's starting to get warmer here in Finland. It's been very cold spring so far, only couple of nice warm days. But this week's been nice and warm so I've been taking some longer walks and it seems to work nicely.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muxfolder For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020)

33. Link to Post #37
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,549 times in 2,555 posts

Bumping this thread for October.

As the heat turns up a notch, it might help to re-mind ourselves more often than ever to stay in the calm eye of the storm.

The Desiderata was mentioned by Johan earlier in the thread, but I do love it so. So here it is again.

Quote Desiderata

GO PLACIDLY amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

By Max Ehrmann © 1927
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Anka (1st October 2020), Bill Ryan (1st October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), greybeard (1st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (2nd October 2020), muxfolder (2nd October 2020), Sarah Rainsong (2nd October 2020), Satori (1st October 2020), Wind (2nd October 2020)

35. Link to Post #38
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 times in 1,007 posts

Fear seems like a kind of recapitulation of the world's histories, but we are all in a world where we have to get over any obstacle.

If we can manage to remember, since we were children, what was the first and first fear that each of us had? It is very possible that we forgot it, although at that time in childhood, as a feeling, it is possible that we felt it very strongly almost fundamentally without knowing it. But it's over, isn't it?

For example, just as an example or exercise of sincerity: at this moment when we read this do we feel fear? Some would say it is ridiculous, some would say that fear of ridicule is still an almost honorable form of pride.
    The recurring theme of fear accompanies the life of every human being and the history of the species; current fears and those that have accompanied human instinct throughout history have played also a role in preserving life as long as it was necessary for normal evolution.

A trail of risk is the fear of the end of the world, against the background of growing nervousness and against the background of misfortunes such as wars and invasions and terrible plague epidemics that have invaded Europe (I speak only from what I know), and the idea of ​​the end (of) has been capitalized here, at the level of near obsession for a while.
    Always, and then, at that time, the move to stage an apocalypse before every attempt at survival was at hand. These were extreme but visible times.

What is beautiful is when people see the crisis, but do not say that it is imminent, that makes them survive.

We went through it together as a species, through so many ... but the fact that the hurricane of fear is moved from the natural perimeter to the human field and is produced from within the human species just for humans, makes it somehow more "credible" ... that may, it makes us think "what the fear factor" looks like... I have nothing to say about this, except that the last time I checked, all humans had 10 fingers on both hands, so there was no difference between us, inside the same human species.We must have pure courage, without illusion.

I think there is a serious order of involution that it is not possible not to take seriously.
    I believe that we must be careful and generous with our lives and those of those around us, I believe that before any fear, we are almost obliged to offer first of all unconditional love.

I have to say that people are more and more agitated and nervous, but if we take three steps back and have the patience to see that knowledge is partly equivalent to reality, almost largely used to do harm then I would say we have , worldwide, an extremely high inflation of leaders of bad influence but also poorly prepared for their own plan.

In such a dynamic world with so many good and less good possibilities, however, a kind of "lethargy" or inaction also indulges in the feeling of fear that seems to be at hand.
    The "pregnancy" imbued with today's fear, however, is interpreted on so many levels and variants that in such an present era, we can do a real slalom among them, if we want.

Today there are tons of fears, erupting volcanoes, crashing planes, millennial lies, natural disasters, ecological and demographic disasters, Iranian uranium, incurable flu and disease, agencies with interests that come out every day like mushrooms in the forest after it rains, even entertainment as a form of fear is promoted in movies at least.

But all this ratting used so visibly, should make us aware and see the mechanisms of fear used on us and received by us without knowing sometimes, and sometimes seen from a distance.
    In the age of all exposed information and all hidden information, everything is in the sphere of the possible, even fear, but we must see that in the production of fears even imagination plays a role, too important, this is one of the mechanisms that must be adjusted in our favor and to help those around us, but balanced enough to understand the facts as such.

I believe that there is a segment of the world in which the panic of higher intelligence is coupled with a moral vice, but lacking a well-executed concrete plan.

Totally lacking in ignorance and involved for any good, well done, I can say that the source of fear is immanent but in permanent transcendence with our vision for its healing.

Apparently, globally, there can be no guarantee that we can govern our own choices, but we do it every second now, so that means we are in control for ourselves. It is a kind of individual but partially total management involved for the good of all mankind.

A friend said to another friend last week: Why are you afraid to take the plane if you smoke 50 cigarettes a day? It is counterproductive to be terrified of terrorism every day and not be afraid of falling off a bicycle.

In fact, it is a personal equation of life, for me fear is only a form of indifference for myself, almost hostile, which I will not be able to afford, given my life experience, which no fear dare challenge it.
    And all this to be just human.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), greybeard (2nd October 2020), muxfolder (2nd October 2020), Sarah Rainsong (2nd October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (2nd October 2020), Wind (2nd October 2020)

37. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)

As the heat turns up a notch, it might help to re-mind ourselves more often than ever to stay in the calm eye of the storm.
    Absolutely, please just spill your beans here, whoever you are or wherever you are and everyone is free to share their stories. I'm speaking to all of you here who are in need to say something at all, if it makes you feel better. That's why I made this thread in the first place. Because I was in a hard situation and I thought I had that stupid covid myself. I actually might have it, but yeah, still can't be sure because I was tested like 3 weeks after when it was at it's worse.

Anyway, I opened this thread just to speak with someone or somebody. And at least some of you responded, and it really helped me. So please, keep on telling your stories here. Maybe even I can help someone.
    Last edited by muxfolder; 2nd October 2020 at 23:14.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to muxfolder For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), Sarah Rainsong (3rd October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (2nd October 2020)

39. Link to Post #40
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,609 times in 32,796 posts

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)

Absolutely, please just spill your beans here, whoever you are or wherever you are and everyone is free to share their stories. I'm speaking to all of you here who are in need to say something at all, if it makes you feel better. That's why I made this thread in the first place. Because I was in a hard situation and I thought I had that stupid covid myself. I actually might have it, but yeah, still can't be sure because I was tested like 3 weeks after when it was at it's worse.

Anyway, I opened this thread just to speak with someone or somebody. And at least some of you responded, and it really helped me. So please, keep on telling your stories here.
    Hey, thanks.

What I never posted here (but should have!) was that anxiety is the product of a problem + not feeling able to do anything about it.

So if one can start to take some action, of any kind, then the anxiety will ALWAYS dissipate a little.

For example, there may be justifiable anxiety about health, and/or what might happen if supply chains really do start to break. There are lots of easy things one can actually do to reassure oneself that one's taking positive steps. Then one really does sleep a little better.

Re health, a handful of easily-obtainable supplements may really help protect against the virus — which is a real thing. If you're concerned, D3 + Zinc + Quercetin + Vit C + Oregano oil will all help boost the immune system (against anything at all!).

Re prepping, if you just spend a few $$ on rice, oats, flour, beans, oil, butter, salt, sugar, dried milk, tea/coffee, you may be surprised how little it costs to be able to stay alive and well for 6-12 months in a crazy-extreme situation. (Even if you get very bored with your menu! )

You may never use it — except later, because it's all longlife and will definitely be eaten anyway — but it may simply help you feel better if you've got it all there in your pantry.

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Deborah (ahamkara) (3rd October 2020), Eva2 (3rd October 2020), muxfolder (2nd October 2020), Ron Mauer Sr (3rd October 2020), Sarah Rainsong (3rd October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (2nd October 2020), Wind (4th October 2020), Yoda (3rd October 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast