+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What was it like growing up with your generation?

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,776 times in 2,722 posts

Default Re: What was it like growing up with your generation?

Real chemistry sets you could order from a catalog. My two male cousins using it to try and blow up a bridge.

It was easier to lie to your parents about where you were; there were no cell phones. Everybody in the house could hear your conversation when a boy called to ask you out. Boys used to do that.

Parties in the country in the middle of someone's cowfield. Police were never really an issue back then.

Back then, you weren't told to "see something, say something". If you did, you were called a snitch and no one would talk to you.

The first book I bought when I went to college was a dictionary. You actually had to look a word up so you would know how to spell it and what it meant.

Music. In New Orleans there was constant, unending live music all over the place. I miss festival seating.There was no such thing as "liability" to be worried about.

We were never home and never inside, ever.

"The Twilight Zone". That show used to scare the **** out of me. My parents never even thought about whether it was appropriate or not.If I had nightmares, it was my fault for watching the show and not some failure of my parents.

We had to fight our own battles. I don't remember ever crying to my Mom or Dad that someone was mean to me.I had to learn how to deal with it.

Fake I.D.'s. If you had one (and I did) the world was your oyster.

Getting and writing letters on actual piece of paper.

Freedom, as Greybeard said.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Anka (6th April 2020), Antagenet (9th April 2020), Ayt (9th April 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (6th April 2020), Constance (6th April 2020), Le Chat (9th April 2020), Mike (6th April 2020), Orph (6th April 2020), TomKat (8th April 2020)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,979 times in 684 posts

School playgrounds weren't fenced in and locked up like they are now. In the summer us kids could go play basketball, baseball, football, or play on the swings and stuff.

I remember swinging so high, the seat of the swing would be higher than the crossbar. Then the swing would drop straight down, literally in a free-fall, (albeit a short one). Then when you hit the end of the slack in the chain, you'd be slammed back into the seat so hard you'd practically get whip-lash and get knocked out of the swing. I was sure I would break the swing at some point. Of course, what kid didn't enjoy letting go of the swing and seeing how far he could "fly".

And the big slide they had on the playground. Nothing that high anymore. Made from steel, the sliding surface was made of stainless steel. We would take a piece of wax paper, sit on it, and WOW, it made going down that slide scary fast.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Ayt (9th April 2020), Constance (6th April 2020), TomKat (8th April 2020)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,069 times in 4,737 posts

One or two colours in an essentially drab world. Homemade b&w photography. Stripping distemper, inch by inch, off the walls prior to… wallpapering, wow.

Postwar relics: a tank on the clifftop; iron railings melted down for the war effort. No spare cash.

4-digit call-operator telephone number. Single-channel TV on half-a-dozen sets undergoing repair, and needing new valves; standing holding the horizontal/vertical hold knob to get so much as a flickering picture.

Algeria/General de Gaulle on the news every night. Later Vietnam ditto. In between, JFK.

Pre-central heating in northern climes. Getting dressed in the morning. Later, the winter of 62: solid ice in the school playground until late March. Chipping away with spades at two inches of ice: strange rediscovery of asphalt.

The special Saturday feeling. And Sunday. Before we ever had a car.

Soccer boots in raw leather, to be worn in the bath to get them into shape (or not).
    Standing in a 40,000 football crowd… and all the way back to the bus station.

Old-style ceremonial religion, and… the wonderful people who brought it.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Antagenet (9th April 2020), Ayt (9th April 2020), Constance (6th April 2020), TomKat (8th April 2020)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,114 times in 921 posts

Remember when cop cars had RED lights, not BLUE?

8. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,953 times in 1,552 posts

Quote Posted by raregem (here)
    No fear of people,police or guns.
    More time outside than inside or t.v. .

This is the main thing that was probably true for millions of years, and ended shortly after me.

One can see in the 80s, "international" became important, and steel and autos went into decline. Then you have people raised by machines, inside locked doors and other increasing restrictions. Something important is gone.

There isn't progress, it's all downhill and backwards, with more pollution.

In 1983, our class studied the book 1984, so I figured everyone understood this stuff and wouldn't allow it, but it didn't help much.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Ayt (9th April 2020), greybeard (9th April 2020), raregem (9th April 2020)

10. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)
    "The Twilight Zone". That show used to scare the **** out of me. My parents never even thought about whether it was appropriate or not.
    Valerie, I love the Twilight Zone way back then and still. The fairly recent bluray remasters are something to behold. They have done a first-class job.
    What gave me the willies was The Outer Limits, leastways some of the episodes. One I remember was the Zanti Misfits - ants with human faces that could talk.

Name:  serveimage.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  7.1 KB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2