1. Link to Post #1
    Sweden Unsubscribed
    Language
    Swedish
    Thanks

Unhappy Mod del

~~~
    Important moderator note from Bill:

Please read this important update post, on a different thread.

Mark deleted this post himself. The moderators never edited it or touched it.

He was trying to make it appear that it was us who deleted it. (We can see the edit history of every post, an important resource we have to enable us to assist if ever a post needs to be restored after an innocent mistake.)

Mark is unwell. Sadly, it's become clear there's a personal tragedy here. He's asked to be retired, and so we've honored his request. We wish him all the best in his difficult journey, which unfortunately, but understandably, we're simply not in a position to help him with.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 14th April 2020 at 13:57.

2. Link to Post #2
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Default Re: The Social Distancing Support Thread

Agree Mark.
    Too much debate about what the virus may or may not be and what caused it
    Sure be concerned for the dying and their relatives not allowed to comfort them in their final moments -- social distancing at its worst.
    Many operations to save lives or improve the quality of life indefinately postponed
    Im concerned with the number of buisnesses therefore employment that will go to the wall through these Draconian measures.

How exactly is any Government going to fulfil the promises that got them elected when there wont be enough money in the pot to carry them out?
    In the UK rail link to the North from London --forget it.
    Many new hospitals --more medical people trained -- forget it.
    The holiday trade --non existent.
    The money the Government pledges to help redress the lack of a wage - where does it come from?
    Who has to repay the loan? -- the working man.
    People need face to face interaction to survive.
    Look at the numbers who require self help groups-- literally millions in AA alone.
    Loneliness degrades the immune system -- leads to depression --leads to suicide.

Little attention is paid to any of this
    I live alone --the last fortnight my interaction face to face has been two visits to the supermarket -- then only with the checkout operator -- who I greatly appreciate being there.

Im deaf, the phone no use to me -- my contact through text or @
    What keeps me in a reasonable mental state is many years of spiritual practise.

Im not in denial about the virus killing people but the hype is distorting the no of people who actually get this and die from it.
    Seems no more than expected at this time of year from seasonal flu.
    The repercussions of lock down will last many years.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

3. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ben (9th April 2020), Bill Ryan (10th April 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (9th April 2020), christian (9th April 2020), Denise/Dizi (9th April 2020), East Sun (11th April 2020), EFO (10th April 2020), enigma3 (9th April 2020), Forest Denizen (10th April 2020), Franny (10th April 2020), Hym (10th April 2020), Icare (11th April 2020), justntime2learn (9th April 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (10th April 2020), Kate (11th April 2020), Kryztian (9th April 2020), Lilybee8 (12th April 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (9th April 2020), Mercedes (9th April 2020), Rosemarie (11th April 2020), shaberon (10th April 2020), Stephanie (11th April 2020), toppy (9th April 2020), Tracie (Bodhicee) (10th April 2020), Victoria (9th April 2020), Wind (9th April 2020), XelNaga (11th April 2020)

4. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Good thread!!
    Chris
    Last edited by greybeard; 9th April 2020 at 10:58.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th April 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (9th April 2020), christian (9th April 2020), Denise/Dizi (9th April 2020), EFO (10th April 2020), Forest Denizen (10th April 2020), Hym (10th April 2020), Icare (11th April 2020), Mercedes (9th April 2020), Rosemarie (11th April 2020), toppy (9th April 2020), Victoria (9th April 2020)

6. Link to Post #4
    Sweden Unsubscribed
    Language
    Swedish
    Thanks

Speak so many wise words Greybeard Chris. Many years wisdom here.
    You say true "People need face to face interaction to survive.". We all human being.
    I see your deafness teach you value of connection to others. You see how Lockdown create many long term problem - including hurt people from isolation damage.
    Sorry my English difficult - dyslexia effect my language skills. Good in design and thinking, just not speaking or writing. Some words not clear.

Have you speak of your deafness here and your spiritual practice? Strong spiritual practice so important to move through fears and see great forest view- see all, not just problem in your view. Please say more of your spiritual practice and deafness, how they help you live with strength?

Thank you for kind words Chris.

Mark.

7. Link to Post #5
    Australia Avalon Member
    In the hills above the sea in Victoria. My off-grid paradise.
    Thanks

Dear Mark Tuahmen, that is indeed a deeply-felt post. And Greybeard, thank you for your comments. What I am noticing here in Australia is that many people will not make eye contact. I live in a small tourist town on the coast, a long way from the city. Our little town is shut down completely except for the supermarket and the hardware and our one little petrol station. I am particular about making eye contact when I go for supplies. I am saddened by many people who find that so confronting. It is as if connecting with another human will give them the disease! I think that this situation is showing people who they really are, with all their insecurities, fear of death, unhealed pasts etc. And then there are the courageous. The emotionally strong who are filled up enough internally to be able to give to other people. I do worry about our homeless. They are already so ostracized. And I shudder at the amount of domestic and sexual abuse that is happening because of the fear level, fed by a vicious, rabid mass media.

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Meryl For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th April 2020), Billy Vasiliadis (11th April 2020), Forest Denizen (10th April 2020), greybeard (10th April 2020), Hym (10th April 2020), Icare (11th April 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (10th April 2020), Lilybee8 (12th April 2020), Rosemarie (11th April 2020), Stephanie (11th April 2020), Tracie (Bodhicee) (11th April 2020), wondering (11th April 2020), XelNaga (11th April 2020)

9. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mark Tuahmen (here)
    Speak so many wise words Greybeard Chris. Many years wisdom here.
    You say true "People need face to face interaction to survive.". We all human being.
    I see your deafness teach you value of connection to others. You see how Lockdown create many long term problem - including hurt people from isolation damage.
    Sorry my English difficult - dyslexia effect my language skills. Good in design and thinking, just not speaking or writing. Some words not clear.

Have you speak of your deafness here and your spiritual practice? Strong spiritual practice so important to move through fears and see great forest view- see all, not just problem in your view. Please say more of your spiritual practice and deafness, how they help you live with strength?

Thank you for kind words Chris.

Mark.
    Thank you for your kind words Mark
    I have two threads in the spiritual section -- maintaining them is part of spiritual pratise as I view the videos I post there.
    meditate at least an hour a day.
    prayer
    mantras 108 repititions
    Qui gung exercises.
    No meat eaten no alcohol
    My signature say the priority.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1342918

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1349453

Love Chris

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th April 2020), Forest Denizen (10th April 2020), Hym (10th April 2020), NewParadigmGuy (10th April 2020), Rosemarie (11th April 2020), Stephanie (11th April 2020), wondering (11th April 2020)

11. Link to Post #7
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,882 times in 612 posts

I often wonder if I died out here in the wilderness, how long would it be before anyone other than my animals would know! Before this virus I was working from home and had regular contact with the outside world. Now it has been 2 weeks since I spoke with another person. I am not deaf yet but I am going that way due to an accident. It is very difficult for me to speak in the phone and I find my world falling silent. I feel very sure there are many people across the US who are in the same position. A position made worse by social distancing and virus hysteria.
    I don’t know the solution.
    Sunday is Easter. I plan to send virtual hugs to everyone I know. Not only to remind them and myself that I am still here but to spread love to them all so perhaps they will spread it to everyone they know!
    Peace and love to you all.

12. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th April 2020), ClearWater (10th April 2020), East Sun (11th April 2020), Forest Denizen (10th April 2020), greybeard (10th April 2020), Hym (10th April 2020), Icare (11th April 2020), Inaiá (11th April 2020), leavesoftrees (10th April 2020), Lilybee8 (12th April 2020), Mike (10th April 2020), Patient (11th April 2020), Rosemarie (11th April 2020), Stephanie (11th April 2020), Strat (10th April 2020), Tracie (Bodhicee) (11th April 2020), wondering (11th April 2020), XelNaga (11th April 2020)

13. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Forest Denizen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 times in 450 posts

Quote Posted by Geophyz (here)
    I often wonder if I died out here in the wilderness, how long would it be before anyone other than my animals would know! Before this virus I was working from home and had regular contact with the outside world. Now it has been 2 weeks since I spoke with another person. I am not deaf yet but I am going that way due to an accident. It is very difficult for me to speak in the phone and I find my world falling silent. I feel very sure there are many people across the US who are in the same position. A position made worse by social distancing and virus hysteria.
    I don’t know the solution.
    Sunday is Easter. I plan to send virtual hugs to everyone I know. Not only to remind them and myself that I am still here but to spread love to them all so perhaps they will spread it to everyone they know!
    Peace and love to you all.
    Geophyz, your presence here on this Forum is really very much appreciated. The world needs more folks like you

We here on Avalon, Mods and Members alike, tend to notice when members who have been present, are suddenly absent. We will often PM someone if they suddenly disappear.

This is kind of a balancing act because we do not want to seem intrusive. I know many of us enjoy our privacy. However, there are likely many here at Avalon who are in a similar situation to what you are experiencing.

I'm wondering if we might initiate some sort of system here where we keep track of each other in case a member goes suddenly absent. In case something is seriously wrong. Obviously this would be completely voluntary and, if desired, you and whoever else might be interested, could share contact info with the Moderators? That way, you would sort of be watched over??

Thinking out loud.. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Good idea? Bad idea?

With Much Love and Respect

Ken
    "Love is the only engine of survival.." Leonard Cohen

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Forest Denizen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th April 2020), Constance (11th April 2020), Hym (10th April 2020), Icare (11th April 2020), Inaiá (11th April 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (10th April 2020), Lilybee8 (12th April 2020), Rosemarie (11th April 2020), Stephanie (11th April 2020), Tintin (10th April 2020), Tracie (Bodhicee) (11th April 2020), wondering (11th April 2020), XelNaga (11th April 2020)

15. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,514 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Ken (here)

I'm wondering if we might initiate some sort of system here where we keep track of each other in case a member goes suddenly absent. In case something is seriously wrong. Obviously this would be completely voluntary and, if desired, you and whoever else might be interested, could share contact info with the Moderators? That way, you would sort of be watched over??

Thinking out loud.. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Good idea? Bad idea?
    A very, very good idea. I simply don't have the available time to do this myself, but there are a lot of members I think about. (Geophyz has been one of them. )

We should all reach out, if or when the moment grabs us and we find ourselves thinking of someone we feel we know a little but we've not seen here for a while.

~~~

Quote Posted by Geophyz (here)
    I often wonder if I died out here in the wilderness, how long would it be before anyone other than my animals would know! Before this virus I was working from home and had regular contact with the outside world. Now it has been 2 weeks since I spoke with another person.
    Re being totally on my own here, I'm in exactly the same situation. But I have a 'dead man's switch' arrangement with the mods' team that they'll know what to do if I seem to suddenly vanish offline for what feels like a little too long. (Normally, if my internet went down for a day, I'd go into town to a café and report in from there. But with the lockdown, of course, I can't do that any longer.)

But this may make you laugh. For about a week I came down with something extremely mild (which may or may not have been Covid-19, but the timing was suspicious), and my symptoms were merely a bit of a 'throat', very slight fever, headaches and dizziness. No runny nose, no problems breathing. Unusual, though, as I very rarely get ill ever at all.

Several days later, when I felt a lot better, I went into town to the supermarket with my neighbor, who has no vehicle. He was the first person I'd seen or spoken with for 10 days. When I greeted him, I immediately discovered that I'd lost my voice.... I had absolutely no idea until then.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 10th April 2020 at 23:47.

16. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Adi (11th April 2020), Agape (11th April 2020), East Sun (11th April 2020), Forest Denizen (11th April 2020), hohoemi (11th April 2020), Hym (10th April 2020), Icare (11th April 2020), Inaiá (11th April 2020), kudzy (11th April 2020), Lilybee8 (12th April 2020), Rosemarie (11th April 2020), Stephanie (11th April 2020), Tracie (Bodhicee) (11th April 2020), wondering (11th April 2020), XelNaga (11th April 2020), Yoda (11th April 2020)

17. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member wondering's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,106 times in 905 posts

Dear Geophyz, I think of you quite often and wonder how you and your new Red Bull are doing, if you have been sleeping outside with the trees, how your horse is and mostly how you are. I miss when I don’t see your thanks on the threads I read, because we are sometimes reading the same ones. I’m glad this opportunity came up to tell you this...you matter to me. Diane

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th April 2020), Forest Denizen (11th April 2020), Hym (11th April 2020), Icare (11th April 2020), Inaiá (11th April 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (11th April 2020), Rosemarie (11th April 2020)

19. Link to Post #11
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,882 times in 612 posts

Quote Posted by wondering (here)
    Dear Geophyz, I think of you quite often and wonder how you and your new Red Bull are doing, if you have been sleeping outside with the trees, how your horse is and mostly how you are. I miss when I don’t see your thanks on the threads I read, because we are sometimes reading the same ones. I’m glad this opportunity came up to tell you this...you matter to me. Diane
    Thank you! I think of you often as well! I have indeed been sleeping under the trees more often than inside. These lovely springs days always call me outside! I put in a larger than usual garden this year. I know of a family that needs help with food and I share my bounty with them. Because I have been camping out I have not been on here as much but the spring storms have driven me inside. Thank you Diane, your message warmed my heart.

I think it is a good idea that we check in on members that disappear without notice. I am not sure what is the best way to do that or how long one should wait but I don’t feel any one would be offended by it!

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Adi (11th April 2020), Bill Ryan (11th April 2020), Billy Vasiliadis (11th April 2020), Forest Denizen (11th April 2020), Hym (11th April 2020), Icare (11th April 2020), Inaiá (11th April 2020), Kate (11th April 2020), Lilybee8 (15th April 2020), Rosemarie (11th April 2020), wondering (11th April 2020)

+ Reply to Thread