+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5

Thread: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

1. Link to Post #81
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,761 times in 1,545 posts

Default Re: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    Thank you all so much for sharing some of your garden skills here. What a beautiful thread!
    Each year, I am trying to learn and grow just a little bit more.

This year was a disappointment for me, however, due to the dry summer, but mostly due to the squirrels.
    Last year, I had a wonderful crop of tomatoes, but this year, we had so many squirrels, and they robbed every single one of my tomatoes!
    It was so disappointing.
    At least they left the peppers alone, so I did wind up with a lot of peppers.

It was a battle all summer long, and sadly, I lost the war.
    My question for all the gardeners is this - Is there anything I can do to prevent the squirrels from doing this again next summer?
    Planting walnut and nut trees at the edges of your garden/property will help forever and you will share the fruits.
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (25th September 2020), Bill Ryan (25th September 2020), Harmony (25th September 2020), Ken (29th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (25th September 2020), Strat (25th September 2020), Sue (Ayt) (25th September 2020)

3. Link to Post #82
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,264 times in 1,229 posts

Quote Posted by Gracy May (here)
    Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    My question for all the gardeners is this - Is there anything I can do to prevent the squirrels from doing this again next summer?
    A friend of mine had the same problem and his solution was to build cages around the tomatoes with chicken wire.
    A lot of hassle can be avoided by having a dog roaming about.
    They have 2 and several cats.

Oddly enough I live down the road from them and don't have this problem. I think it's cause they actively feed the little critters.

EDIT: Maybe I don't have this problem in part due to what EFO said: I have a mulberry tree that they gorge themselves on.
    That's life, and I can't deny it
    Many times I thought of cuttin' out but my heart won't buy it

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Anka (25th September 2020), Bill Ryan (25th September 2020), EFO (25th September 2020), Harmony (22nd October 2020), Ken (29th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (25th September 2020)

5. Link to Post #83
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,785 times in 697 posts

Today is supposed to be the International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste.
    For those who invented this, it can be a warning, for all of us, it can be a good time to reinvent our health, choosing to be the "keepers of the earth" by blessing it with our work. It's not easy, in a system called almost climate, but we can still try. Every gram of natural food matters.
    We all have access to natural organic food!

For the courtesy of all good ideas about healthy eating, I am here, and will always be everywhere, to emphasize the importance of Nature and its power to heal and nourish us enough to not waste good food.

We can even grow herbs in a pot if we do not have space or time. Herbs are not so sensitive and forgive us if we did not water them yesterday.

Pesticides speak "at every step", we must not only think about what we eat but we must find better solutions, there are many examples in which if we did not have a garden, we can buy vegetables and fruits in season and process them naturally at home and to preserve them.

We should look for vegetables from farmers, close to us, maybe it's expensive or maybe not, but we have to weigh our health in a jar preserved by ourselves!

Try the taste and flavor!

Where I live, strange as it may seem, people preserve vegetables and make real and clean liqueur from plums, and sell them all, and then go to the store to buy drinks with additives and canned food (boiled in the manufacturing process together with canned metal)
    My apples are too fragrant for those who come from the city, they can't stand the intense taste because they are not used to it.
    Also, I bought 3 apples from the supermarket last year and placed them on the window sill, in a plate. They haven't been altered for 8 months! Can you believe that? My apples oxidize in a few seconds, and some, I share with lucky worms (apples that fall on the ground, remain for hedgehogs) that's nature .. they are very sweet and juicy.

If we choose to grow our own vegetables, we become our own researchers of our body, the difference is felt in time long enough to be worth the effort and time allocated. Quality must not be chosen, we must use it.
    After months in which the pandemic changed the way we look at things that were once normal, it was autumn's turn to be greeted with a new perspective for our health. We do not need to travel to know that there are children who die of hunger every day, we also know that individually we can not do much, but together we can choose the responsibility to use the idea of ​​healthy and sufficient food for ourselves and others.

Because the food system is a big puzzle, in equal proportion to the diseases resulting from food exposed to chemicals, because the expansive transition to organic food can still be made, because every human being has the right to healthy and enough food, above all problems, my intention is in favor of solutions, and I believe that together we could bring about a massive change.We don't have to wonder how. We can start acting now, doing our own research for good solutions.

It's just a milligram of good intentions that I emanate, conscious, awake, present, maybe it doesn't weigh heavily, but I look like all people in having the right to a better, healthy life.
    Every human is a question asked to the Spirit of the Universe,again and again,because every human is an endless row of humans and in all humans together dwelling the Great Human Spirit.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2020), EFO (29th September 2020), Harmony (22nd October 2020), Hym (25th October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (25th October 2020), Ken (29th September 2020), Sue (Ayt) (29th September 2020)

7. Link to Post #84
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,761 times in 1,545 posts

The planting season has almost ended and what was left is planting garlic for next year and giving a try to overwintering some peppers plants;an idea that came out from this guy a few days ago...

Overwintering Peppers - Grow This Year's Peppers again NEXT YEAR!
    (16:35 min.)

http://Overwintering Pepper Plants P... What I Missed
    (12:02 min.)

If the experiment will be successful I'll expand it to more pepper plants next year because it have many advantages:less money to spend on seeds,early peppers to harvest,less losses on transplanting in pots and later in field,less care for little plants and so on.I'll be back with results in Spring 2021.
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Alecs (25th October 2020), Anka (29th September 2020), Bill Ryan (29th September 2020), Harmony (22nd October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (25th October 2020), Ken (29th September 2020)

9. Link to Post #85
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,092 times in 270 posts

Spring is here, still some cloudy cool days with sunny ones inbetween. There has been quite a lot of rain this season, now up to yearly average. The past 3 years were well below the average rainfall so that was a surprise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4138.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	44860

More work has been done on the greenhouse, as it is a work in progress, and now has another bed. The donkeys look on and enjoy company and seeing what’s going on. So far, the salad has been growing well for this time of year, as it is still cool and there was frost last week. I have been able to pick leaves off the lettuce and spinch and rocket for salads and mix with herbs in the garden.

Name:	DSCF4116.jpg
Size:	533.6 KB
ID:	44861

The raspberries are shooting new leaves and the seed potatoes are in the beds ready to grow. There are about 6 varieties of potatos planted to spread out picking times and just for variety. Snow peas and sugar snap peas planted from last years saved seeds have germinated well.

Name:	DSCF4127.jpg
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	44862
    The fruit trees are flowering and a delight to see with hundreds of bees buzzing away in the flowers. This is a Mutsu apple tree pictured flowering, a large sweet-tart apple that is very nice to eat or cook.

Name:	DSCF4124.jpg
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	44863

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Harmony For This Post:

Alecs (25th October 2020), Anka (26th October 2020), Bill Ryan (25th October 2020), EFO (26th October 2020), Hym (25th October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (25th October 2020), Miha (26th October 2020), Nenuphar (28th October 2020), Sarah Rainsong (25th October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (25th October 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5