+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 9

Thread: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

1. Link to Post #161
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,639 times in 2,597 posts

Default Re: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

Tigger I do have blueberries that I have been picking over the past two months. You can see them in the image below before they are ripe. I have four plants in four pots approximately 14x14 inches. There are many varieties and there should be varieties that will grow in all different kinds of climates, so check out the best ones for your area. I have mine in pots as they need special soil that is acid and peaty or something like that. I use some pine needles in the soil and I mulch the top with more to keep it more acid and use more acid fertilisers like Chicken manure, some compost and small amounts of liquid seaweed with just a pinch of dolomite because that is magnesium and calcium, and it is alkaline so you need to be very careful with that. They need to be well drained and kept moist.

Name:  IMG_0203.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  111.9 KB

I love growing snow peas too as they are great steamed and eaten raw in salads etc. They enjoy the climate being cool, but not frosty. They don't do so well in the hot months. Some of mine gorowing in the image below. I also grow other types of peas that can grow when it is a bit warmer and I freeze bags of them every year so I have them all year round on hand. The same with the beans.

Name:  IMG_0205.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  137.3 KB
    Here are my raspberries growing in the greenhouse. They are just finishing up now and there should be more in the Autumn with an autumn fruiting variey a bit later on. They freeze well too, make great jams and cordial too.

Name:  IMG_0192.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  106.4 KB

Tigger, you mentioned having trouble with the carrots, I wonder if you also have slugs that come out at night and eat the emerging seedlings? That's why I had to change over to growing carrots in the 1/2 barrels to keep them away from the ground and use the copper tape on the edges of the barrels as slugs won't go over copper.
    Last edited by Harmony; 26th February 2024 at 03:03.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Harmony For This Post:

Alecs (3rd March 2024), Alekahn2 (28th February 2024), Bill Ryan (25th February 2024), Ewan (25th February 2024), Miller (27th February 2024), Nenuphar (26th February 2024), palehorse (28th February 2024), tessie999 (27th February 2024), Tigger (26th February 2024), wondering (27th February 2024)

3. Link to Post #162
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 times in 333 posts

What can I find to Eat in Our Overgrown Vegetable Garden?
    Self Sufficient Me

This video runs for approx. 22 minutes. The presenter (Mark) takes you on a tour through his vegetable garden which, understandably, has been soaked with rainfall this year and has become overgrown. He looks for food that he can use to cook a meal for his family.
    Mark lives in the subtropics in QLD, Australia and he’s been a very big inspiration for me. At his location (27 degrees South latitude (similar to Florida USA)), his climate is a little different to mine (at 17 degrees South latitude), and he can grow some salad crops in a far more forgiving environment.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tigger For This Post:

Alekahn2 (28th February 2024), Bill Ryan (27th February 2024), Ewan (27th February 2024), Harmony (27th February 2024), Miller (27th February 2024), Nenuphar (28th February 2024), palehorse (28th February 2024), Sue (Ayt) (28th February 2024), wondering (27th February 2024)

5. Link to Post #163
    United States Avalon Member wondering's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,064 times in 902 posts

I am not a gardener myself, but my neighbor is. He just received a Greenstalk vertical growing system for his patio and he is quite excited. I had never heard of them, but they have quite a following, although I think they may just be in the US. Apparently their quality is quite good. I'm just thinking it might be a nice option for those with little space but a green thumb. I'm sorry I am not showing pictures, but it is easily found online.

From Bill:
    Here's the web page, and below are some of the images:

https://greenstalkgarden.com/collect...tical-planters

Last edited by wondering; 28th February 2024 at 00:13.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Alekahn2 (28th February 2024), Bill Ryan (27th February 2024), Ewan (28th February 2024), Harmony (27th February 2024), Miller (27th February 2024), Nenuphar (28th February 2024), palehorse (28th February 2024), Seeclearly (27th February 2024), Sue (Ayt) (28th February 2024), tessie999 (27th February 2024), Tigger (27th February 2024)

7. Link to Post #164
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by wondering (here)
    I am not a gardner myself, but my neighbor is. He just received a Greenstalk vertical growing system for his patio and he is quite excited. I had never heard of them, but they have quite a following, although I think they may just be in the US. Apparently their quality is quite good. I'm just thinking it might be a nice option for those with little space but a green thumb. I'm sorry I am not showing pictures, but it is easily found online.

Hi Wondering , that does sound like a really good idea. You could have fresh salad and herbs or strawberries maybe right near your door!
    I found this link to Green Stalk Garden and you see there different styles and colours available.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Harmony For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th February 2024), Ewan (28th February 2024), Miller (27th February 2024), Nenuphar (28th February 2024), palehorse (28th February 2024), Sue (Ayt) (28th February 2024), tessie999 (27th February 2024), Tigger (27th February 2024), wondering (28th February 2024)

9. Link to Post #165
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,228 times in 1,379 posts

I've invested in a couple of raised beds (still to be assembled - it's a bit too early here in the UK) to grow vegetables this year and also, following Wondering/Harmony's posts above I've just ordered some vertical planters. My main problem has always been enough sunlight, which disappears over the roof at around midday. Nevertheless there are vegetable varieties which should still do quite well.

The concern I have is that the authorities will make it a crime to grow anything other than Monsanto vegetables, if we're allowed to grow anything at all, and that all food will become part of the digital currency/social credit system. Some systems work indoors although imo the nature of hydroponics infers nutrient loss. Anybody?
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable" (John F Kennedy - 13th March 1962)
    "The only winning move is not to play" (WarGames 1983)

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th February 2024), Ewan (28th February 2024), Harmony (28th February 2024), jaybee (Yesterday), Nenuphar (28th February 2024), palehorse (28th February 2024), Sue (Ayt) (28th February 2024), Tigger (28th February 2024), wondering (28th February 2024)

11. Link to Post #166
    Thanks

Thank you for adding the info to the post, Bill. It is said that they do well for root vegetables, which surprises me since I wouldn't think there would be much room. I trust my neighbor, he has the absolute greenest thumb and everything he touches grows, seriously. I haven't asked him yet what he plans to plant. Being right outside the door would make it great for herbs - they eat a totally plant based diet. Being able to revolve or move them might help with getting sunlight, too.
    I read recently that here in Michigan there is some push back to growing your own food, which boggles my mind. At the beginning of Covid, our governor, Gretchen Witmer, would not allow seed packets to be sold in stores....they were considered nonessential, and were "roped off" and not sold.
    Last edited by wondering; 28th February 2024 at 00:24.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th February 2024), Ewan (28th February 2024), Harmony (28th February 2024), jaybee (Yesterday), Miller (28th February 2024), Nenuphar (28th February 2024), palehorse (28th February 2024), Sue (Ayt) (28th February 2024), Tigger (3rd March 2024)

13. Link to Post #167
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote I trust my neighbor, he has the absolute greenest thumb and everything he touches grows, seriously. I haven't asked him yet what he plans to plant.
    Wondering It seems your neighbour would be just the person to ask in your area what would do best and what soil to use in the posts etc. Carrots can grow quite close together given the right nutrients. It seems potatoes would do better in a separate larger box. It is surprising how many potatoes can be grown in a small area with the right soil and depth.

Even if you just have something to fall back on to give you time to transition if a new situation presents itself, and use with the food you have put away for emergiencies, cans and dried foods etc., that is something. Sprouting can also help with having some nice fresh food. I sprouted seeds indoors on the kitchen windowsill and used them as a salad last winter during the cooler months when lovely lettuces and greens don't do as well outside.

The cabbage family have lovely geens that can be grown during autumn and early spring, like Tatsoi and Pak Choy and are lovely used as or with a salad, especially when picked right before you eat them. In the cooler months.

English spinich is also lovely to grow and eat.

Green onion like shallots are also easy to grow and lovely to add to salads and stir fries. I often just cut off the second leaf to the newest and leave them to grow for years just taking what I need. They will flower and you can save the seeds and replant them too and also they create their own off shoots that you can divide and create more plants.

Those are good questions Miller and Wondering regarding making growing food illegal. I often think also if laws were changed, what would happen to growers? I would hope people who were hungry would disregard them, as that would be the ultimate ridiculous thing to do.

If there was so much going on would anyone even notice what you have in your garden, except to steal food? Would it be the last straw and make people revolt against tyranical laws, especially if there were food shortages? I don't think anyone can be 100% sure, and over the past number of years that has been predicted I just continue to grow and experiment with growing food and ways that food can be preserved and dried etc.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Harmony For This Post:

Alekahn2 (28th February 2024), Bill Ryan (28th February 2024), Ewan (28th February 2024), Miller (28th February 2024), Nenuphar (28th February 2024), palehorse (28th February 2024), Sue (Ayt) (28th February 2024), Tigger (3rd March 2024), wondering (28th February 2024)

15. Link to Post #168
    Thanks

Miller, How exciting that you have ordered some vertical planters.. they make a lot of sense in some situations. I hope you report back your experience with them. When my neighbor started his raised beds, he used cardboard as a base, and once the growing season was over he laid the sides down flat...I know that due to our mild fall, that they were eating kale into the holidays and beyond.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Alekahn2 (28th February 2024), Bill Ryan (28th February 2024), Ewan (28th February 2024), Harmony (28th February 2024), Miller (28th February 2024), Nenuphar (28th February 2024), Sue (Ayt) (28th February 2024), Tigger (3rd March 2024)

17. Link to Post #169
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 times in 199 posts

Quote Posted by wondering (here)
    I read recently that here in Michigan there is some push back to growing your own food, which boggles my mind. At the beginning of Covid, our governor, Gretchen Witmer, would not allow seed packets to be sold in stores....they were considered nonessential, and were "roped off" and not sold.
    Wow. That is insanity. This kind of thing only confirms the importance of connecting with others in one's area who save open-pollinated seeds from their gardens, and of encouraging the establishment of community seed libraries that everyone can benefit from.
    Last edited by Nenuphar; 28th February 2024 at 15:05. Reason: spelling correction

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nenuphar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2024), Ewan (29th February 2024), Harmony (3rd March 2024), Miller (28th February 2024), Sue (Ayt) (28th February 2024), Tigger (3rd March 2024)

19. Link to Post #170
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 times in 333 posts

Sweet potatoes are growing like mad with all the rain, heat and high humidity:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2975.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	52788

As an experiment, I planted some of the ‘Red Lady’ potatoes left over from the last harvest. Planting them in December (right at the start of the tropical wet season), I was unsure how they would grow in the off-season. But after a few weeks the plants emerged and they are growing quite well. I’m not expecting the yield to be all that great, but they will make healthy seed potatoes ready for re-sowing in May or June:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2978.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	52787

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tigger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2024), Ewan (3rd March 2024), Harmony (3rd March 2024), Johnnycomelately (3rd March 2024), Miller (Yesterday)

21. Link to Post #171
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,510 times in 973 posts

I doubt that a sentence about “food security” has ever included the word “truffles”.

However, if one could find and sell some nice truffles, one could hypothetically afford to buy their way out of most of those problems. Vid says top price, for the picker, is 10k Euros per kilo.

Not mentioned here, is that pigs are also used to sniff out this edible fungus. Not surprising to anyone who knows pigs (smart, and probably fully cultured), they like to chow down on them too, thus lowering the price of whatever can be salvaged.

Last edit, please see from around 3:00 (of 5:11 total), about how they can be cultivated. Reminds me of how I read, as a young man, that planting Black Walnut trees could ensure a nice future for kids and grandkids.

Last edited by Johnnycomelately; 3rd March 2024 at 08:56. Reason: Correct vid, then correct currency

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2024), Harmony (3rd March 2024), Miller (Yesterday), Tigger (3rd March 2024)

23. Link to Post #172
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,938 times in 2,204 posts

I bought some vertical felt pocket planters from ebay and today I moved strawberry plants out of a big pot where they had been for years - at least 5 years - the planter I used today has 12 pockets (3 x 4).... and I hung it off a tall wooden fence -

I was amazed at the roots on them - a thick and woody main root stem with the thinner ones coming out from it - don't know if they will be happy moving - but will see how they do - they are very mature plants - will be making more effort this year to pot up the new shoots coming off -

In pots - have so far planted rocket, marigold, some coriander, nasturtium, seed potatoes (in a big bag).... covered the pots with bubble wrap while the weather can still be very cold at night (Midlands, UK)....

I had all my own seeds in separate containers on a window ledge last autumn - then a big wood pigeon came in the living room - must have just walked in from the garden through the back door - panicked and flapped it's wings like crazy at the glass and knocked all the seeds onto the floor - I got them up with a dust pan and brush and now have to separate them (but am leaving some mixed and letting them come up together) - I caught the wood pigeon as gently as I could and put it out before it did itself some damage - they are clever and beautiful birds - daily visitors (to the garden not my living room ) - I remember seeing a video once where a pigeon out witted and matched flying speeds with a peregrine falcon !!! Might try and find it again to see what kind of pigeon it was not sure a wood pigeon would be THAT fast - but you never know - - they seem quite comical sometimes especially when they stand on the window ledge outside and stare through the glass and look you in the eye -

Established watercress in a big plastic container (2 foot by 3 foot) coming on with new growth from the natural seeding last year... bubble wrap over it to protect the tiny seedlings for a while - 2 pots of chives doing very well and was the earliest of all the established pots... lemon balm and mint on the brink of coming up in the open squares where a couple of slabs were taken up.... parsley went through the winter and is picking up again and growing now -

phew when you write about it all you realize what a lot goes on even in a small garden - and I haven't mentioned everything -

that's all for now - - - and don't forget - this is the time (in the UK anyway) to pick the top buds of the stinging nettle wild plant - I made my first teapot full of nettle tea yesterday and it is good hot or cold - in fact I prefer it cold - going to make an effort to put it as a main ingredient in home made soup any day now -

toodle pip ....

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaybee For This Post:

Bill Ryan (Yesterday), Harmony (Yesterday), Miller (Yesterday)

25. Link to Post #173
    Language
    English
    Thanks

jaybee, you have been busy in your garden.What is also wonderful, is your wildlife that lives right amongst it all. I have always been amazed at how a small area can support trillions of live forms, from the smallest soil organisms to insects, birds and frogs and lizards. Each little ecosystem develops within all the plants and little pots that provide habitat. I often find it hard to weed because they also seem quite beautiful, but sometimes will take over everything if you don't keep the numbers down. I do hope with the Spring coming on now that all your plantings will flourish and bring you lots of joy and goodness from the sun

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Harmony For This Post:

Bill Ryan (Today)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 9