Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 times in 725 posts

Default Re: The face mask discussion

Do Face Masks Work? 8 Peer-Reviewed Studies
    September 06, 2020
    By Rez Karim

Strange though as it may seem, we feel nervous writing this report. Nervous that Google,
    Twitter, Facebook etc. might deem our site ‘less trustworthy’ or something similar. Nervous
    because we could very well become victims of internet censorship perpetrated by the Tech
    giants like Google et al for touching such a hot button issue with a hint of skepticism. We
    feel nervous because we fear imminent attacks by the so-called ‘fact checkers’. Attacks on
    our good name because we refuse to tow the establishment line on this subject of acute
    public interest.

Indeed, we live in a strange time when open discussions on extremely important public
    health issues became taboo. Authoritarian censorship became our New Normal. While
    authorities around the world mandate face masks, we remain prohibited from discussing
    its pros and cons.

Therefore, in this article we refrain from interjecting any of our own ‘non-expert’ opinions
    into this debate. We avoid opposing the so-called experts on mainstream media with any
    of our own viewpoints.

Instead, we simply present 8 peer reviewed academic studies on surgical & cloth masks
    published on PubMed.gov; and let you the reader draw your own conclusions.

CONTINUE TO STUDIES: https://www.globalresearch.ca/do-fac...tudies/5723124
    You Can't Talk and Listen at the Same Time

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richter For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (24th September 2020), greybeard (24th September 2020), Peace in Oz (30th September 2020), pueblo (24th September 2020)

3. Link to Post #602
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,700 times in 20,824 posts

Quote Posted by pueblo (here)
    Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    [*]To me, wearing a mask is being complicit in a HUGE FEAR MONGER DECEPTION to virtue signal and help the LIES to continue endlessly ... To help the RIGGED Technocratic Computer Model Scare Tactics ... A symbol that ultimately end up being worse than wearing a swastika in the 1930s
    I have (eventually) come around to this view that wearing a mask is (a) giving my consent for the BS that is happening and (b) making me complicit in the roll out of said BS.

Starting tomorrow I will no longer wear a mask in public places etc.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for everything.

Respect bro ... but:

I do not want to be responsible for you getting (possible severe) problems with authorities (affecting your whole family) ... There are several tactics you may use to challenge the status quo but always do it on own risk/merit ... not because I said something. Study ways to bypass their system find a loophole in their so called "new laws". Or find (critical scientific) publications they "approve" that contradicts the new insane laws!

cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 24th September 2020 at 20:45.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

ClearWater (27th September 2020), greybeard (25th September 2020), Peace in Oz (30th September 2020), pueblo (25th September 2020)

5. Link to Post #603
    Language
    Thanks

No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

greybeard (25th September 2020), mountain_jim (26th September 2020)

7. Link to Post #604
    Language
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: The face mask discussion

Woman arrested, tased for not wearing mask at middle school football game | New York Post

• and it only gets worse if we comply
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 25th September 2020 at 10:13.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

ClearWater (27th September 2020), greybeard (25th September 2020), mountain_jim (26th September 2020), Peace in Oz (30th September 2020)

9. Link to Post #605
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,247 times in 2,174 posts

[*]To me, wearing a mask is being complicit in a HUGE FEAR MONGER DECEPTION to virtue signal and help the LIES to continue endlessly ... To help the RIGGED Technocratic Computer Model Scare Tactics ... A symbol that ultimately end up being worse than wearing a swastika in the 1930s
    I have (eventually) come around to this view that wearing a mask is (a) giving my consent for the BS that is happening and (b) making me complicit in the roll out of said BS.

Starting tomorrow I will no longer wear a mask in public places etc.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for everything.

Respect bro ... but:

I do not want to be responsible for you getting (possible severe) problems with authorities (affecting your whole family) ... There are several tactics you may use to challenge the status quo but always do it on own risk/merit ... not because I said something. Study ways to bypass their system find a loophole in their so called "new laws". Or find (critical scientific) publications they "approve" that contradicts the new insane laws!

cheers,
    John
    Thanks John for that sensible response and I agree totally about playing them at their game. My decision not to wear a mask was not solely based on your post though as I have been pondering this for a long time now!

Please be assured that if I get dragged off by the goons and fined or whatever I will not be coming back crying to you! I do appreciate your concern very much.

I have a friend who refuses to wear a mask and when questioned she simply says "I'm exempt". This is fine but it does nothing to highlight why she refuses to wear a mask, there are no real points scored with this approach. To 'make a mark' I suppose you would have to stand your ground and state the many reasons for not complying, this will probably elicit a different response though!

The issue of 'activism' is pertinent though and I feel that I somehow need to take action, not just banging away on the keyboard! I am going to think on this a little longer before taking action, maybe I need to read the Art of War again

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (25th September 2020), Patient (2nd October 2020)

11. Link to Post #606
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,971 times in 1,706 posts

Thanks John for that sensible response and I agree totally about playing them at their game. My decision not to wear a mask was not solely based on your post though as I have been pondering this for a long time now!

Please be assured that if I get dragged off by the goons and fined or whatever I will not be coming back crying to you! I do appreciate your concern very much.

I have a friend who refuses to wear a mask and when questioned she simply says "I'm exempt". This is fine but it does nothing to highlight why she refuses to wear a mask, there are no real points scored with this approach. To 'make a mark' I suppose you would have to stand your ground and state the many reasons for not complying, this will probably elicit a different response though!

The issue of 'activism' is pertinent though and I feel that I somehow need to take action, not just banging away on the keyboard! I am going to think on this a little longer before taking action, maybe I need to read the Art of War again
    I agree with your reasoning pueblo.

I will tell you how I approach this personally.

First and foremost, I will not let anyone compromise my health. Wearing a mask compromises my health and so it follows that I will disobey anyone who tells me I must wear a mask.

Now there are many different ways to disobey the rules/laws on face masks.
    There are also many different ways to make your views on face masks known to others.

I'm busy enough and have many other things on my mind usually to want to engage in
    an argument/fight over face masks.

And so the approach I have chosen to take, which works like a charm where I live,
    is simply to tell anyone who asks me to put on a face mask, that I have a medical condition.
    I have never needed to say any more, or explain any more than that.
    Everyone immediately backs off after I say that.

If anyone ever should continue to harass me after I said that (which is highly unlikely) I would
    first ask to speak with the manager about it. If they continued to be uncooperative, I would simply
    leave their premises.

As far as scoring "real points" is concerned, I view my refusal to wear masks indoors as a victory!
    Anyone seeing me knows that I have scored points. It's in plain sight.

I will take on anyone who wishes to debate face masks, if I have the time and inclination.
    Lord knows I have done enough research on the subject and am well-read on it.

And I wouldn't hesitate to participate in a rally about this in my area if one was organized.
    So it all depends on how you view scoring "real points".

I don't explicitly state all the reasons I refuse to wear a face mask, because I don't usually wish to get into an argument most of the time.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (25th September 2020), greybeard (25th September 2020), Patient (2nd October 2020), Peace in Oz (30th September 2020), pueblo (25th September 2020)

13. Link to Post #607
    Language
    Thanks

Presidential Reality Show, Masks, No Masks, Lockdowns, No Lockdowns:

14. Link to Post #608
    Language
    Thanks

CDC Director Masks Vs President Trump No Masks:

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

DaveToo (20th October 2020), greybeard (28th September 2020), Michi (27th September 2020)

16. Link to Post #609
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,247 times in 2,174 posts

In this interview back in May Fauci tells us there is no need for anyone who isn't ill to be wearing a mask but I think he also inadvertently tells us something else about the mask plan.

Fauci uses the phrase 'right now' twice when answering a question on whether people should be wearing masks or not. I find it strange that he says 'right now' in this context and suspect it is not included for no reason.

It is easy to read between the lines of what he was saying; the logical interpretation is that masks were not needed right now (possibly because that part of the plan was not in place/ready to be rolled out) but they might be needed at some point further down the line.

21 sec "Right now in the United States people should not be walking around with masks"

30 sec "Right now people should not be wa....there's no reason to be walking around with a mask"

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

DaveToo (20th October 2020), greybeard (28th September 2020)

18. Link to Post #610
    Language
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: The face mask discussion

Crowder RANTS on MASKS! | Louder With Crowder

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

greybeard (30th September 2020)

20. Link to Post #611
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,223 times in 2,093 posts

I am seriously surprised that masks are still being mandated.

I suppose that keeps social distancing in place, thus keeping people from gathering for music, sports and celebrations.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Patient For This Post:

greybeard (30th September 2020)

22. Link to Post #612
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,150 times in 3,856 posts

Quote The surgical masks are designed to keep you from "speaking moistly" on people. They are designed to keep the user from spitting out germ laden particles onto others. The blue inner material is different from the white outer material for this purpose. The proper usage is to put one on, conduct your immediate business where you want to keep your "moistness" from getting onto the subject, then immediately discarded.

Healthcare workers and sick people should be the only ones wearing them - to prevent the spread of their germs (Healthcare workers are also of greatest risk of having infection but not knowing it - they need the masks for this purpose as well)
    Yes, I agree. Only health care workers and the sick should wear them.

Here's an article from Mass Live that caught the CDC's post "in error" about the virus being airborne:

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus...particles.html

23. Link to Post #613
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,603 times in 673 posts

Quote From an event in Doylestown Pennsylvania, September 29, 2020. Governor Tom Wolf and PA State Rep Wendy Ullman chat about removing their masks to speak. Ullman says she is going to play “political theater” and wait to get her mask removal “on camera.” They laugh. Gov. Wolf responds “okay, that’s good.”
    The only place a perfect right angle ever CAN be, is the mind.

24. Link to Post #614
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,092 times in 20,639 posts

More on the Masks - Don't Miss!!
    13,525 views•Oct 1, 2020
    Pamela Popper
    106K subscribers

Comment from Dan Maiullo on Facebook, in reply to Dr. Popper's video: " Upon investigation, it was not Benjamin Fulford who wrote the letter to the editor. Apparently, it was written by Arthur Firstenberg and then directed to Benjamin Fulford. After a cursory search, I could not find where the letter was first published, so Pam Popper's statement that it was published in a medical journal could not be confirmed. I haven't yet had the opportunity to read the studies cited. For anyone interested, here's the text of the letter:
    “As a person who went to medical school, I was shocked when I read Neil Orr’s study, published in 1981 in the Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
    Dr. Orr was a surgeon in the Severalls Surgical Unit in Colchester. And for six months, from March through August 1980, the surgeons and staff in that unit decided to see what would happen if they did not wear masks during surgeries.
    They wore no masks for six months and compared the rate of surgical wound infections from March through August 1980 with the rate of wound infections from March through August of the previous four years.
    And they discovered, to their amazement, that when nobody wore masks during surgeries, the rate of wound infections was less than half what it was when everyone wore masks.
    Their conclusion: ‘It would appear that minimum contamination can best be achieved by not wearing a mask at all’ and that wearing a mask during surgery ‘is a standard procedure that could be abandoned.’
    I was so amazed that I scoured the medical literature, sure that this was a fluke, and that newer studies must show the utility of masks in preventing the spread of disease.
    But to my surprise the medical literature for the past forty-five years has been consistent: masks are useless in preventing the spread of disease and, if anything, are unsanitary objects that themselves spread bacteria and viruses.
    Ritter et al., in 1975, found that ‘the wearing of a surgical face mask had no effect upon the overall operating room environmental contamination.’
    Ha’eri and Wiley, in 1980, applied human albumin microspheres to the interior of surgical masks in 20 operations. At the end of each operation, wound washings were examined under the microscope. ‘Particle contamination of the wound was demonstrated in all experiments.’
    Laslett and Sabin, in 1989, found that caps and masks were not necessary during cardiac catheterization. ‘No infections were found in any patient, regardless of whether a cap or mask was used,’ they wrote. Sjøl and Kelbaek came to the same conclusion in 2002.
    In Tunevall’s 1991 study, a general surgical team wore no masks in half of their surgeries for two years. After 1,537 operations performed with masks, the wound infection rate was 4.7%, while after 1,551 operations performed without masks, the wound infection rate was only 3.5%.
    A review by Skinner and Sutton in 2001 concluded that ‘The evidence for discontinuing the use of surgical face masks would appear to be stronger than the evidence available to support their continued use.’
    Lahme et al., in 2001, wrote that ‘surgical face masks worn by patients during regional anaesthesia, did not reduce the concentration of airborne bacteria over the operation field in our study. Thus they are dispensable.’
    Figueiredo et al., in 2001, reported that in five years of doing peritoneal dialysis without masks, rates of peritonitis in their unit were no different than rates in hospitals where masks were worn.
    Bahli did a systematic literature review in 2009 and found that ‘no significant difference in the incidence of postoperative wound infection was observed between masks groups and groups operated with no masks.’
    Surgeons at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, recognizing the lack of evidence supporting the use of masks, ceased requiring them in 2010 for anesthesiologists and other non-scrubbed personnel in the operating room. ‘Our decision to no longer require routine surgical masks for personnel not scrubbed for surgery is a departure from common practice. But the evidence to support this practice does not exist,’ wrote Dr. Eva Sellden.
    Webster et al., in 2010, reported on obstetric, gynecological, general, orthopaedic, breast and urological surgeries performed on 827 patients. All non-scrubbed staff wore masks in half the surgeries, and none of the non-scrubbed staff wore masks in half the surgeries.
    Lipp and Edwards reviewed the surgical literature in 2014 and found ‘no statistically significant difference in infection rates between the masked and unmasked group in any of the trials.’ Vincent and Edwards updated this review in 2016 and the conclusion was the same.
    Carøe, in a 2014 review based on four studies and 6,006 patients, wrote that ‘none of the four studies found a difference in the number of post-operative infections whether you used a surgical mask or not.’
    Salassa and Swiontkowski, in 2014, investigated the necessity of scrubs, masks and head coverings in the operating room and concluded that ‘there is no evidence that these measures reduce the prevalence of surgical site infection.’
    Da Zhou et al., reviewing the literature in 2015, concluded that ‘there is a lack of substantial evidence to support claims that face masks protect either patient or surgeon from infectious contamination.
    ‘Schools in China are now prohibiting students from wearing masks while exercising. Why? Because it was killing them. It was depriving them of oxygen and it was killing them. At least three children died during Physical Education classes — two of them while running on their school’s track while wearing a mask. And a 26-year-old man suffered a collapsed lung after running two and a half miles while wearing a mask.Mandating masks has not kept death rates down anywhere. The 20 U.S. states that have never ordered people to wear face masks indoors and out have dramatically lower COVID-19 death rates than the 30 states that have
    mandated masks. Most of the no-mask states have COVID-19 death rates below 20 per 100,000 population, and none have a death rate higher than 55.
    All 13 states that have death rates higher than 55 are states that have required the wearing of masks in all public places. It has not protected them.
    ‘We are living in an atmosphere of permanent illness, of meaningless separation,’ writes Benjamin Cherry in the Summer 2020 issue of New View magazine. A separation that is destroying lives, souls, and nature.”
    Arthur Firstenberg
    August 11, 2020
    Last edited by onawah; 1st October 2020 at 16:30.
    Each breath a gift...

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Franny (4th October 2020), greybeard (1st October 2020), Michi (1st October 2020), mountain_jim (8th October 2020)

26. Link to Post #615
    Language
    Thanks

MASKED, alone in the Open Air...but WHY? Andrews has NO answer:

Source: https://www.bitchute.com/video/XjOKiHga9mWk

Source

27. Link to Post #616
    Language
    Thanks

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

greybeard (3rd October 2020), Michi (3rd October 2020), Philippe (4th October 2020)

29. Link to Post #617
    Language
    Thanks

The Great American Mask Rip Off:

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 8th October 2020 at 18:30.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Franny (8th October 2020), pueblo (8th October 2020)

31. Link to Post #618
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

32. Link to Post #619
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,092 times in 20,639 posts

What Will It Take for Masks and Face Shields to End?
    by Dr. Mercola
    10/9/20
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...&rid=983426467

"STORY AT-A-GLANCE
    According to Dr. Paul Offit, people will need to continue wearing masks and social distancing for “the next couple of years” even after a COVID-19 vaccine becomes available
    A viral video shows the violent arrest of an Ohio mom at a local football game, ostensibly for not wearing her mask in the stands. The problem with arresting people for not complying with mask rules is that there’s no evidence to support the idea that masks prevent the spread of the virus
    Face shields, recommended as an added layer to protect the mucous membranes of your eyes, are useless for the prevention of viral spread, especially if used alone in lieu of a mask. Masks with exhalation ports are also useless as they do not filter the outbreath
    Flow visualization research shows that while face shields block the initial forward motion of the jet, expelled droplets move around the visor and spread out over a large area. Visualizations for face masks equipped with an exhalation port show droplets pass through the exhale valve unfiltered
    September 18, 2020, the CDC posted updated COVID-19 guidance that, for the first time, mentioned aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2, saying “this is thought to be the main way the virus spreads.” It also noted that aerosolized viruses can travel farther than 6 feet. The CDC deleted these sections September 21, claiming they were posted in error. Aerosolized spread confirms the futility of mask rules

According to rotavirus vaccine developer Dr. Paul Offit,1 people will need to continue wearing masks and social distancing for "the next couple of years" even after a COVID-19 vaccine becomes available.

"People now see vaccines as a magic dust that's about to be sprinkled over this country and make this all go away. It doesn't work that way," Offit told MarketWatch, September 21, 2020.2

Offit, who sits on the Food and Drug Administration's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee, said he's wary of a COVID-19 vaccine that may be rushed to market under pressure from the government.

The U.S. Health and Human Services' Operation Warp Speed has pledged to deliver 300 million doses of a COVID-19 vaccine by 2021,3 if not sooner.4 However, developing a safe and effective vaccine normally takes years and begins with animal studies.

The COVID-19 vaccines are all being rushed straight into human clinical tests, forgoing lengthy animal trials altogether. Vaccine makers are also being shielded against liability if people are harmed by the experimental vaccines.5

Early Warning Signs of Vaccine Dangers
    Early warning signs that something might be amiss have already started emerging. As detailed in "Gates Tries to Justify Side Effects of Fast-Tracked Vaccine," results6 from Moderna's Phase 1 human trial revealed 100% of volunteers in the high-dose group suffered systemic side effects. Side effects included fatigue, chills, headache and myalgia (muscle pain); 21% suffered "one or more severe events."

A May 26, 2020, article7 in STAT news told the harrowing story of Ian Haydon, a healthy 29-year-old participant in Moderna's vaccine trial who suffered severe side effects requiring hospitalization.

While Haydon recovered from the side effects, which included a raging fever, fainting, nausea, muscle pain and generally feeling "as sick as he'd ever felt," just imagine what such side effects might do to an elderly person, an infant, young child or someone who is metabolically compromised or has an underlying condition such as a heart problem. For them, the reactions could be far worse and possibly fatal.

Disturbingly, in July 2020, it was reported8 that Moderna's 100-mcg dose vaccine — despite its 100% side effect ratio after the second dose — would proceed to Phase 3 trial assessment.

Like the Moderna vaccine, the AstraZeneca/Oxford University vaccine also appears to come with a shockingly high rate of side effects. Results9 from one of its Phase 1/2 studies published August 15, 2020, revealed a clear majority of participants experienced side effects, including fatigue, headache, muscle ache, malaise, chills and feeling feverish.

September 6, 2020, AstraZeneca paused its Phase 3 vaccine trial due to a "suspected serious and unexpected adverse reaction" in a British participant.10,11 The company did not divulge the nature of the adverse reaction.

However, The New York Times reported12 that "a person familiar with the situation, and who spoke on the condition of anonymity" said the individual" had been found to have transverse myelitis, an inflammatory syndrome that affects the spinal cord and is often sparked by viral infections."

September 12, 2020, the British Medicines Health Regulatory Authority gave AstraZeneca the go-ahead to resume its Phase 3 trial in the U.K., after an independent review found it "safe to do so."13,14

And here is yet another major surprise that hardly anyone knows. Offit warns there could be problems with Moderna's and BioNTech's messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccines because they have extraordinary shipping and handling needs that include using dry ice. "We've never done that before in this country," he told MarketWatch.15 "Never."

Why Enforce Ineffective Mask Rules?

A viral video (above) posted September 23, 2020, features the violent arrest of an Ohio mom at a local football game, ostensibly for not wearing her mask in the stands.16 The video shows a police officer tasing Alecia Kitts at the two-minute mark.

Also clearly on the video is footage showing that the officer who tased Kitts had his own mask off, under his chin, from the time he tased her until he was walking her away in handcuffs. He only put the mask back on when someone in the stands yelled out, asking him where his mask was.

According to The Ohio Star,17 Tiffany Kennedy, a friend of Kitts who shot the video, said Kitts has asthma and had taken the mask off. Kitts' mask is visible in her right back shorts pocket in the video. Ohio coronavirus rules issued by Governor Mike DeWine require people to wear masks at outdoor events when 6-foot social distancing is not possible.

Not wearing a mask in Ohio is considered a misdemeanor. Penalties for failure to comply can include up to 30 days in jail and a $750 fine. While DeWine said his intent isn't to arrest people for noncompliance, he failed to veto a bill that would have reduced fines and banned jail time for noncompliance.

The fundamental problem with assaulting18 and arresting people for not complying with mask rules is that there's no evidence to support the idea that masks prevent the spread of the virus. In fact, the science tells us masks cannot block viruses.

SARS-CoV-2 has a diameter between 0.06 and 0.14 microns.19 Medical N95 masks — which are considered the most effective — can filter particles as small as 0.3 microns.20 Surgical masks, homemade masks, T-shirts and bandanas are even more porous.

At best, a mask may reduce the transmission of large respiratory droplets, but it does nothing to prevent the transmission of aerosolized particulates exhaled by asymptomatic or presymptomatic individuals with COVID-19.21 Health agencies' own research show it's a futile measure that only provides a false sense of security.

For example, the World Health Organization's June 5, 2020, guidance memo22 on face mask use states "there is no direct evidence (from studies on COVID- 19 and in healthy people in the community) on the effectiveness of universal masking of healthy people in the community to prevent infection with respiratory viruses, including COVID-19."

Similarly, a May 2020 policy review paper23 published in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's journal, Emerging Infectious Diseases, concluded that "Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza."

This is highly relevant, as the influenza virus is about twice the size of SARS-CoV-2. If masks cannot prevent transmission of influenza, they certainly cannot prevent transmission of SARS-CoV-2.

Valved Masks and Face Shields Are Useless

Certain masks are more useless than others, with valved masks being among the worst, followed by homemade cloth masks. This includes both commercial cloth masks and N95-rated masks with one or two exhale ports. The reason for this is because masks with breathing valves do not filter the outbreath.

To be clear, while an N95-rated mask with exhale port will not protect others, it may, however, still offer some protection for the wearer. If you’re wearing a mask, N95-rated masks are the most effective choice. The caveat is that it must be properly fitted and put on and removed as instructed. Medical staff must go through fit tests24 for medical N95 masks, which makes them an impractical choice for the general public.

Face shields, recommended25 by Dr. Anthony Fauci at the end of July 2020, as an added layer to protect the mucous membranes of your eyes, are even more useless for the prevention of viral spread, especially if used alone in lieu of a mask (which is generally not recommended26).

Florida Atlantic University's College of Engineering and Computer Science video above provides a qualitative visualization of how masks with valves and face shields perform. As reported by Florida Atlantic University news desk:27

"Widespread public use of these alternatives to regular masks could potentially have an adverse effect on mitigation efforts. For the study,28 just published in the journal Physics of Fluids, researchers employed flow visualization in a laboratory setting using a laser light sheet and a mixture of distilled water and glycerin to generate the synthetic fog that made up the content of a cough-jet.

They visualized droplets expelled from a mannequin's mouth while simulating coughing and sneezing. By placing a plastic face shield and an N95-rated face mask with a valve, they were able to map out the paths of droplets and demonstrate how they performed.

Results of the study show that although face shields block the initial forward motion of the jet, the expelled droplets move around the visor with relative ease and spread out over a large area depending on light ambient disturbances.

Visualizations for the face mask equipped with an exhalation port indicate that a large number of droplets pass through the exhale valve unfiltered, which significantly reduces its effectiveness as a means of source control."

In related news, a Japanese simulation study found "nearly 100% of airborne droplets less than 5 micrometers in size escaped through the shields" and "about half of larger droplets measuring 50 micrometers found their way into the air," The Guardian reports.29,30

Why Did CDC Delete Aerosol Transmission Notice?
    Interestingly, Friday September 18, 2020, the CDC posted updated COVID-19 guidance on its "How COVID-19 Spreads" page that, for the first time, mentioned aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2, saying "this is thought to be the main way the virus spreads."31

It also noted that aerosolized viruses can travel farther than 6 feet — which is logical seeing how aerosolized viruses can remain suspended in the air for hours — and that "indoor environments without good ventilation increase this risk."32 However, the CDC then deleted the mention of aerosols and the possibility of spread beyond 6 feet the following Monday, September 21, saying a draft version of proposed changes had been posted "in error."33,34,35,36

If SARS-CoV-2 spreads primarily via aerosols, then requiring people to wear masks is illogical, seeing how they cannot filter out airborne viruses.
    As reported by Forbes:37

"Before Friday's update, the CDC said large respiratory droplets (like from coughing or sneezing) at close range transmitted the virus, but now the now-deleted guidance added that 'small particles, such as those in aerosols' could infect people.

'There is growing evidence that droplets and airborne particles can remain suspended in the air and be breathed in by others, and travel distances beyond 6 feet,' the now-removed guidance stated … Scientists say the new CDC guidance is important because cloth masks aren't designed to protect the wearer from aerosols."

The last sentence is a key one. Understanding that SARS-CoV-2 is aerosolized and can remain suspended in air "is important because cloth masks aren't designed to protect the wearer from aerosols." Masks also, of course, cannot protect others from aerosolized viruses exhaled by someone wearing a mask (or face shield).

SARS-CoV-2 Is Airborne, Which Makes Masks Ineffective
    According to NBC News,38 that SARS-CoV-2 is airborne is "already well-known, according to infectious disease experts," so it's unclear why the CDC would not want that information on its website. In fact, it's been remarkably slow in acknowledging it.

One has to wonder whether its delayed acknowledgment and rapid removal of this information has something to do with the fact that, if SARS-CoV-2 spreads primarily via aerosols, then requiring people to wear masks is illogical, seeing how they cannot filter out airborne viruses. All a mask can do is limit the spread of contaminated respiratory droplets. This has been the argument against mask wearing all along.

Dr. Jill Weatherhead, assistant professor of infectious diseases at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, told NBC News that the admission that SARS-CoV-2 is aerosolized was "not surprising or jarring."39 The World Health Organization updated its COVID-19 guidance back in July to include aerosolized (i.e., airborne) transmission, at the urging of more than 200 scientists.40

Joseph Allen, an associate professor in the department of environmental health at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, also told NBC News that "The scientific community has been raising the alarm about this since February, that airborne spread can happen."41 Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of the school of public health at Brown University, commented on the CDC's deletion:42

"This is so destructive to this incredibly wonderful agency that we have loved and admired our entire careers. This is amateur hour."

Why Are They so Persistent With Mask Recommendations?
    Considering the strong scientific evidence against it, why are governments so persistent in their recommendation of mask wearing? Clearly, for many, wearing a bandana or cloth mask provides a form of psychological defense, a way to feel less fearful because it feels like you're doing something to protect yourself and others. But it's a false sense of security.

Masks will not prevent you from exhaling or inhaling the aerosolized virus. Cloth masks are clearly also the least preferable option if you want to reduce the spread of infection, as their ability to block larger respiratory droplets is also limited.

In particular, N95 masks with airflow valves on the front should be avoided, as the valve lets out unfiltered air, thus negating the small benefit — the reduction in respiratory droplet emissions — you might get from a mask.43

But with COVID-19 fatality rates44,45,46 as low as they are, why would governments be pushing for a false sense of security? According to a September 2, 2020, study47 in the Annals of Internal Medicine, the overall noninstitutionalized COVID-19 fatality ratio is 0.26%. For those younger than 40, the infection fatality ratio is 0.01%, while those aged 60 or older have a fatality ratio of 1.71%.

The estimated infection fatality rate for seasonal influenza listed in this paper is 0.8%. So, the only people for whom SARS-CoV-2 infection is more dangerous than influenza is those over the age of 60.

Mandatory mask wearing, social distancing, lockdowns and business shut-downs are clearly completely unnecessary at this point, unless your goal is to increase fear, tyranny and transfer of wealth to the upper 0.001% who can benefit from collapsing the economy. The virus is in the air all around us, so you cannot avoid exposure even with a mask or face shield.

Remember back in March 2020 when they said we just need to slow down the rate of infection to avoid overcrowding hospitals? How did we go from that to now having to wear masks everywhere until every trace of the virus has been eliminated, even though a vast majority remain asymptomatic and don't even know they have the virus unless they get tested?

Overall, it seems mask requirements are being used as a psychological manipulation tool to encourage compliance with vaccination once a vaccine becomes available. It can also be viewed as a badge of submission to tyranny. I predict it is likely that, at some point in the future, a tradeoff will be offered: Mask mandates will be dropped provided everyone gets vaccinated.

By then, many may be willing to take just about anything as long as they don't have to wear a mask anymore — although some, like Offit, warn that masks may remain a requirement for years to come, even with a vaccine.

I would encourage you to read up on the many open questions relating to fast-tracked COVID-19 vaccines before making your decision. Overall, it seems the best way to avoid having to make such a devious trade is to engage in civil disobedience now, and go unmasked.

If civil disobedience feels disconcerting, keep in mind that in many areas, mask rules include the following exception: "You must wear a mask unless you can maintain a 6-foot distance." In other words, if you're without a mask and maintain 6-foot social distancing, you're still in compliance with the rules as written."

- Sources and References
    1, 2, 15 Market Watch September 21, 2020
    3 HHS June 16, 2020
    4 Contagion Live September 2, 2020
    5 Reuters July 30, 2020
    6 NEJM July 14, 2020 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2022483
    7 STAT May 26, 2020
    8 Contagion Live July 23, 2020
    9 The Lancet August 15, 2020; 396(10249): 467-478
    10, 13 AstraZeneca September 12, 2020
    11 STAT News September 8, 2020
    12 New York Times September 8, 2020 (Archived)
    14 STAT News September 12, 2020
    16 Marietta Times September 23, 2020
    17 The Ohio Star September 23, 2020
    18 MSN July 27, 2020
    19 StatPearls July 4, 2020, Etiology
    20 SPhosp.org N95s — Sufficient Protection for COVID-19? (PDF)
    21 Rapid Expert Consultation on the Effectiveness of Fabric Masks for COVID-19 Pandemic, April 8, 2020
    22 WHO.int Advice on the Use of Masks in the Context of COVID-19
    23 Emerging Infectious Diseases May 2020; 26(5)
    24 OSHA Fit Test Procedures for N95 Masks
    25 The Hill July 30, 2020
    26 Ohio Department of Health August 15, 2020
    27 Florida Atlantic University September 1, 2020
    28 Physics of Fluids 2020; 32: 091701
    29 The Guardian September 22, 2020
    30 New York Post September 22, 2020
    31, 32, 36 The BMJ September 24, 2020;370:m3739
    33 NPR September 21, 2020
    34, 38, 39, 41, 42 NBC September 21, 2020
    35, 37 Forbes September 21, 2020
    40 NPR July 6, 2020
    43 NPR June 21, 2020
    44 American Institute of Economic Research April 24, 2020
    45 CDC.gov August 26, 2020
    46, 47 Annals of Internal Medicine September 2, 2020 DOI: 10.7326/M20-5352
    Each breath a gift...

33. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Philippe (9th October 2020)

34. Link to Post #620
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,223 times in 2,093 posts

People sometimes get caught up in looking at statistics, videos, wanting proof beyond doubt. Sometimes I think a person should pause for reflection.

With covid, is it a virus or a disease? Cold and flu?

How much does a virus mutate? How could a vaccine work when a flu virus is mutating over time?

A long time ago I worked in a Hospital for quite a few years. We had to get the flu shot (and they called it a vaccine) every year at the beginning of the flu season.

Of course working with patients it felt right to get the flu shot - but most of us still got sic because the virus mutates.

I sure saw a lot of people in the hospital wearing masks - but it did not make a difference.

So we really need to understand what this mandate to wearing masks is about.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

DaveToo (9th October 2020), greybeard (9th October 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst 1 21 31 41 52 LastLast