1. Link to Post #41
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,617 times in 1,601 posts

Default Re: 'UFO' term is redundant

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    Quote Posted by bogeyman (here)
    The modern phenomena and many sightings that have occurred and the maneuvers that have been performed, strongly indicate these unknown Ariel objects do not fly in the conventional sense. Hence the term unidentified flying object isn't correct , an alternative term must be used which coincides the modern phenomena. The term UFO is no longer valid that is misleading and been hijacked by popular media and is counterproductive.
    Unidentified Flying Object is what those things are, unless you have identified them to a point where there's absolutely no mistake about what they are.

I don't think that has happened so far

If you assume UFO means "alien" or "extraterrestrial", then you are making a bad assumption

UFO has nothing to do with the capabilities of whatever thing was flying there, it just means is something no one was able to identify

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    The modern phenomena and many sightings that have occurred and the maneuvers that have been performed, strongly indicate these unknown Ariel objects do not fly in the conventional sense. Hence the term unidentified flying object isn't correct , an alternative term must be used which coincides the modern phenomena. The term UFO is no longer valid that is misleading and been hijacked by popular media and is counterproductive.
    All right then, what is the correct term?
    In Brazil the used term is OVNI (objeto voador nao identificada)
    My guess is that each country has it own term.
    UFO is used in US and international media as you spot.
    Yes, in Spanish as well the same "Objecto Volador No Identificado" OVNI, it doesn't mean anything else but that whatever object was flying could not be identified at the time. IT doesn't mean at all "alien" or related. So there is no need to change a term that fits perfectly for the situation as it happened

Agree, and yes the name is self explanatory, I do not think there is a need to change the term just because they are not flying in the conventional sense, but anyway here in Thailand they call it
    >> จานบิน or จานดๅวเทึยม << which has the same meaning, the old folks in the country call like that, the new generation call UFO as in English (just asked 2 young person here, one is a soldier and the other is a student at university) both said it is UFO none used the Thai name. It is just a matter of translation, the meaning will prevail.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

aoibhghaire (18th May 2020), Mashika (18th May 2020)

3. Link to Post #42
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I do not assume anything, the media assumes and popular culture does also. The US Navy perfers the term UAP due to riducule associated with the UFO term. Ive seen UAPs non were saucer shape. Aviation experts, military pilots, and safety experts use terms which are more related to technical jargon.
    But are you the media? You still should enforce the true meaning, regardless of the media or whoever. If people had done that, there would be no need to discuss what UFO means today

You are saying you will play the media's game

The US Navy uses that term now because they want to lead people into a different mindset, but only because they have their own plans as to how to "educate" people around some things

Anyway if the "media" or popular culture says UAP, i'm going to keep using UFO just because i'm not a drone

Quote Ive seen UAPs non were saucer shape
    No one who had a real experience has ever seen a "saucer" shaped UFO, it was always orbs or other shapes "cigars" or "tictacs" since who knows when

For example, when Columbus was reaching America for the first time, he wrote on his diary about an orb they noticed, pretty much the same as the ones we see today

The "saucer" thing happened because of "the media", they put that on some news papers and people followed and suddenly there were people all over the place watching "saucers" in the sky. LMFAO!

It was a way to filter out the fakes by the way
    Indeed. Obtaining data from official aviation entities and the military is dependent on the terms used, since the appropriate officials will search their databases/records using such terms....so terminology to describe the phenomena is important.
    Only if you trust them with the "information" you will get back LOL

There was a perfectly fit term already, it only had to change because people insist in missusing it. The same already happened with UAP by the way, it is assumed those things are "alien" and from other galaxies or such. IT doesn't matter, and also if you want to find data from 10+ years ago, you will definitely have to use UFO or nothing will show up ever

A quick thing i would like to point about about the "saucers"

Around 10 years ago or so, i got gifted this book

Which i have read like 10 times since then LOL, once per year, because i loved Diego Rivera's art and his story and Frida's story as well, ever since i can remember i liked to read about them

So anyway, one of the first things i remember reading that still keeps me thinking is this very small comment from Diego:

This was around 1928 i think, way before the "saucer" thing got popular

Amazing book, it show us that the UFO thing is around for a while, there is records by the old civilizations that inhabited earth. Real history not mainstream media is full of evidences they were visiting us. Who really knows how those ancient civilizations disappeared? Could be extermination, self destruction (most likely), war, alien invasion, who knows, Egypt has many evidences of UFO presence on earth, or those Egyptians was very high on some thing and start to decorate the entire place like that. I do not think so, also it is amazing how government cover up almost everything they do not want us to know, I do not trust anything from government, I decided to take my chances all by myself long time ago.
    For real, the term UFO or UAP or whatever term does not matter, is the meaning behind it that matters most but we have to call it something. Imagine an UFO with the form of a sausage, then what, should we call it "flying sausages" just to fit the sense? I am joking.. ;D
    Just to say I am OKAY with the term UFO and I will keep using this term, all people that I know and talk they understand the term, why change?
    --

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

aoibhghaire (18th May 2020), Mashika (18th May 2020)

5. Link to Post #43
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gwin Ru (here)
    A more inclusive acronym nowadays is UAP (Unidentified Aerial Phenomena) probably because there is no certainty that:
    1) those things are flying per the common definition and,

2) they are actual objects per a 3D definition...
    3) Flat earthes say that the dome is actually a grid that works like a huge concave monitor and whoever is in charge of the grid controls what is being printed out for us humans to see, and even the sun and moon are holographic objects as so UFOs.

4) Simulation Hypothesis is another good one.
    Last edited by palehorse; 18th May 2020 at 05:52.
    --

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3