+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lord Jamar doesn't support BLM

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,151 times in 3,856 posts

Default Lord Jamar doesn't support BLM

I came across this video on Brasschecktv. I'm surprised to hear that not all blacks are for what BLM is doing. He talks about many of the things that I've come across in my research. This guy is aware....
    Caution: much swearing. (I'm used to it. )

https://www.brasscheck.com/video/i-d...t/?omhide=true

Maybe his voice will bring some balance back into the movement....

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

Akasha (27th June 2020), Alan (28th June 2020), Ben (27th June 2020), Bill Ryan (27th June 2020), Dorjezigzag (27th June 2020), Ernie Nemeth (28th June 2020), Ioneo (27th June 2020), Jayke (27th June 2020), Matthew (28th June 2020), Melinda (27th June 2020), Mike (27th June 2020), Tintin (28th June 2020), Zanshin (27th June 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,083 times in 817 posts

Default Re: Lord Jamar doesn't support BLM

This is worth watching too

“One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. The latter procedure, however, is disagreeable and therefore not popular.” (Carl Jung)

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dorjezigzag For This Post:

Alan (28th June 2020), Bill Ryan (27th June 2020), Ioneo (27th June 2020), Jayke (27th June 2020), meeradas (27th June 2020), Melinda (27th June 2020), Tintin (28th June 2020), Zanshin (27th June 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,571 times in 5,713 posts

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Alan (28th June 2020), Bill Ryan (27th June 2020), Constance (29th June 2020), Jayke (27th June 2020), Melinda (27th June 2020), Tintin (28th June 2020), Zanshin (27th June 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,025 times in 444 posts

Quote Posted by Maia Gabrial (here)
    I'm surprised to hear that not all blacks are for what BLM is doing.
    Quite a few I've noticed don't trust Black Lives Matter, or don't trust some of the people using the slogan to virtue-signal. There are probably more black people critical of BLM agendas than many people realise, but like a lot of white folks they choose to keep quiet for fear of being punished, or possibly they don't get as much coverage or funding to share their concern.

The protests frustrate me because I do think the black U.S. population has been targeted in some ways and still suffers the consequences. But I don't agree with every accusation of racism or micro-aggression, nor that all white people are inherently guilty (which is a blatantly racist notion), and I don't trust BLM as an organisation.

Not everyone who supports BLM will even agree on statistics or agendas. Once a movement is that big, that's predictable. Then it becomes harder to assign blame for the consequences of the protests. One thing that seems certain is that many BLM supporters oppose racism, and oppose police brutality. But my guess is many supporters are probably not entirely clear on the agendas being pushed by those at the head of the movement.

I could post videos from at least a dozen different black men and women who have publicly spoken out critically against BLM and/or the consequences of what it's doing, or against the idea of 'white privilege,' but this post would bulge with links.

Here are a few things though.

This gentleman posted on facebook, but I've blocked out his name as I don't know if he'd want his post shared here specifically. The post was shareable and viewable to people who weren't his FB 'friends' so maybe he wouldn't mind. Who knows... :

Here's a 10 minute video where the Hodge twins address how white people experience lethal violence from police officers too but that it doesn't get the same media coverage. Some of the video / audio of police footage may be disturbing to some. At the end of the video they make the claim that contributions to BLM are being channelled to Democratic political candidates, not black people or neighbourhoods, but “rich old white men”, to which one of the twins remarks: “That's what I call white privilege.”

Black Lives Matter Exposed By Hodge Twins

Here's the end of a short 2016 article by Thomas Sowell. Sowell is an “American economist and social theorist who is currently a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University” (wikipedia)

He wrote this when Obama was in office :

--------------------------------------------------------

“Despite all the dire social problems in many black ghettos across the country -- problems which are used to excuse widespread academic failures in ghetto schools -- somehow ghetto schools run by KIPP and Success Academy turn out students whose academic performances match or exceed the performances in suburban schools whose kids come from high-income families.

What is even more astonishing is that charter schools are being opposed, not only by teachers' unions who think that schools exist to provide guaranteed jobs for their members, but also by politicians, including black politicians who loudly proclaim that "black lives matter."

Apparently these black children's futures do not matter enough for black politicians -- including the President of the United States -- to stand up to the teachers' unions. The teachers' unions produce big bucks in campaign contributions and big voter turnout on election day.

Any politician, of any race or party, who fights against charter schools that give many black youngsters their one shot at a decent life does not deserve the vote of anybody who really believes that black lives matter.”

You can read the whole article for context, where he also touches on unemployment and relations between the police and the black community :

https://www.investors.com/politics/c...eir-education/

--------------------------------------------------------

So yes, whatever you make of their opinions, there are definitely black people who are critical of the BLM movement, and the way the slogan is used.

You might consider changing the thread title to something like “Black Individuals Questioning Black Lives Matter”

If people really do care about black lives, it is logical and responsible for them to look critically at a movement that gets that much support, airtime and funding.

That's my humble opinion anyway.

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Melinda For This Post:

Akasha (27th June 2020), Alan (28th June 2020), Alekahn2 (28th June 2020), Arcturian108 (28th June 2020), Bill Ryan (27th June 2020), ClearWater (27th June 2020), Dorjezigzag (27th June 2020), Franny (28th June 2020), Harmony (28th June 2020), Jayke (27th June 2020), Mike (27th June 2020), Tintin (28th June 2020), Yoda (15th November 2020), Zanshin (27th June 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

I love how the right always reframe Black Lives Matter as being divisive rather than the racism which caused the movement to be necessary in the first place 🤦🏻‍♀️

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justjane For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th June 2020), Melinda (28th June 2020), Mike (28th June 2020), Sarah Rainsong (29th June 2020), Tintin (28th June 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,440 times in 32,921 posts

Quote Posted by Justjane (here)
    I love how the right always....
    Do please read this thread!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (28th June 2020), kudzy (28th June 2020), Melinda (28th June 2020), Mike (28th June 2020), Tintin (28th June 2020), Yoda (28th June 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

I love how the right always reframe Black Lives Matter as being divisive rather than the racism which caused the movement to be necessary in the first place 🤦🏻‍♀️

This is way beyond "left" and "right", as Bill points out. I'm guilty of using those words as a shorthand but it's mostly unproductive.

There is some sinister, shadowy manipulation happening here. It's created a self-sustaining circle of madness.

Racism is a problem, but its influence on current events has been greatly exaggerated as a means of fomenting bitterness and anger among blacks. As a result, blacks are greatly overreacting; and every time BLM and its supporters topple a statue, ban a movie, ban a book, cancel someone or something, extort or blackmail a business into endorsing BLM, and so forth, they are just creating more and more ideological enemies....

...and it results in nothing more then recycled, self sustaining hate.

I don't know who or what set all this in motion, but it's infinitely more complex than mere racism, police brutality, or "left" vs "right".

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th June 2020), Melinda (28th June 2020), Tintin (28th June 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    I’ve read it and I don’t agree. The right-left dichotomy isn’t a circle, it’s a t with right and left at one end of spectrum, and libertarianism and totalitarianism forming the other spectrum.

Whilst people are complex and don’t usually fit neatly into all aspects of the left-right prescriptions, they remain an easy shorthand that many of us understand.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Justjane For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th June 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike (here)

This is way beyond "left" and "right", as Bill points out. I'm guilty of using those words as a shorthand but it's mostly unproductive.

There is some sinister, shadowy manipulation happening here. It's created a self-sustaining circle of madness.

Racism is a problem, but its influence on current events has been greatly exaggerated as a means of fomenting bitterness and anger among blacks. As a result, blacks are greatly overreacting; and every time BLM and its supporters topple a statue, ban a movie, ban a book, cancel someone or something, extort or blackmail a business into endorsing BLM, and so forth, they are just creating more and more ideological enemies....

...and it results in nothing more then recycled, self sustaining hate.

I don't know who or what set all this in motion, but it's infinitely more complex than mere racism, police brutality, or "left" vs "right".
    I disagree with this too. I don’t see any evidence of black Americans overreacting, I see a community pushed to the edge. Black Americans have been calling for change for decades through a variety of means and have been unsuccessful, that things have become violent, particularly after a period of deep stress and isolation due to the coronavirus is hardly surprising.

I think it’s a bigger conspiracy to imagine that there is a conspiracy and I wonder what could be behind that? From an outsiders perspective, the US seems to have a history of police brutality towards all of its citizens particularly Native Americans who are killed nearly 3 times as often as white people as well as black people. I’m sure if we were to dig into the stats, which I just don’t have time to do, we would also see a history of brutality against white people living in poverty or with mental illness. I would imagine that this would be something that is a concern to everyone.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justjane For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th June 2020), Cipher (28th June 2020), Hym (28th June 2020), Sarah Rainsong (29th June 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,317 times in 4,085 posts

As well as the overriding, destructive, Marxist tactics behind the curtain we can see, people are seeing BLM at face value and have a few words to say

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th June 2020), Dorjezigzag (28th June 2020), Melinda (28th June 2020), Mike (28th June 2020), Tintin (28th June 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

It looks so relevant. There are so many protests and so many people involved, it seems. It is trending on every social media platform. Everyone is talking about it. But for the vast majority, BLM does not even make the top ten issues on their list. All they can think is what about my life, what about my issues, while they are told by activists, the woke, and the media to shut up because it's not their turn.

The media can make a summer shower into an impending super storm with ease. It is coordinated. It is malicious. It works.

BLM has been high jacked as a delay tactic and is part of a larger agenda, along with the over reaction to the seasonal flu, to ensure Trump is not re-elected. It is run by the same group that has hobbled Trump's presidency from the outset and continues to hamper the efforts of the duly elected leader of the free world. Damn, it took the president three years to build a bit of border wall, for heaven's sake...

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th June 2020), Harmony (29th June 2020), Matthew (28th June 2020), Melinda (28th June 2020), Mike (28th June 2020), Tintin (28th June 2020)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,317 times in 4,085 posts

Oh, perhaps everyone missed this:

Then this might start to make sense (in that order):
    (edit: worth watching till the end, or skipping to the end. The end where he gives a little talk is the bit)
    Last edited by Matthew; 28th June 2020 at 13:54.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th June 2020), Ernie Nemeth (29th June 2020), Jake (28th June 2020), Melinda (28th June 2020), Mike (28th June 2020), Tintin (29th June 2020)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

The chapter head of the N.Y. BLM says that if your black, and become a cop,, then you are NOT black,, you are BLUE. Unless this genius is still working on his colors,,, I'd say that's pretty devisive...
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th June 2020), Eva2 (28th June 2020), Harmony (29th June 2020), Hym (28th June 2020), Matthew (28th June 2020), Melinda (28th June 2020), Mike (28th June 2020), Tintin (29th June 2020)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,440 times in 32,921 posts

I’ve read it and I don’t agree. The right-left dichotomy isn’t a circle, it’s a t with right and left at one end of spectrum, and libertarianism and totalitarianism forming the other spectrum.

Whilst people are complex and don’t usually fit neatly into all aspects of the left-right prescriptions, they remain an easy shorthand that many of us understand.
    Nope.

I'm no racist, I've traveled widely in India and Africa, and I spent most of my early years in Nigeria and Ghana. I have immense sympathy for All Lives Mattering. Including black ones, of course, and everyone else, too.

Read this post of mine for a very moving personal story that I shared. I really, really would appreciate it if everyone were to do so. It's worth it.

But "Black Lives Matter" (the anarchist, militant, weaponized, well-funded front organization) is something very destructive. I go on record as opposing that organization.

Not black people in America (and all over the world), all of whom I support totally. It's quite different. If people can't see that, after so much explanation on so many threads, I have no idea how to explain this more clearly.

And I'm not even American. I'm watching it all from afar. My alert to all Americans reading this is that you're in danger of losing your entire country. If you welcome that, then fine — but you and your children still have to live there.

What it's set to look like, a decade from now or maybe sooner, is present-day China. Good luck with that!

For Australians, watch this wonderful film (although you probably know it well). It's extraordinary, and beautifully made, based on a true story about the subjugation of Aborigines in the 1930s. Aboriginal lives matter, too.
    And regarding whether my views put me simplistically and one-dimensionally on the "Right" or Left", I'm for higher taxes for wealthy people and large corporations, I'm anti-war, I'm profoundly pro-environment, I'm not a Christian, and don't anyone ever try to put this complex, intelligent human being into a little box.

My opinions are well-thought out, and they're 100% my own. I belong to no group, cult, organization or movement. And I've never voted for any politician or party, even once, in my whole life.

28. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

bobme (29th June 2020), Constance (30th June 2020), Ernie Nemeth (29th June 2020), Eva2 (28th June 2020), Franny (30th June 2020), Harmony (29th June 2020), kudzy (28th June 2020), Matthew (28th June 2020), Melinda (28th June 2020), Mike (28th June 2020), RunningDeer (28th June 2020), Tigger (28th June 2020), Tintin (29th June 2020), Yoda (29th June 2020)

29. Link to Post #15
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    It looks so relevant. There are so many protests and so many people involved, it seems. It is trending on every social media platform. Everyone is talking about it. But for the vast majority, BLM does not even make the top ten issues on their list. All they can think is what about my life, what about my issues, while they are told by activists, the woke, and the media to shut up because it's not their turn.

The media can make a summer shower into an impending super storm with ease. It is coordinated. It is malicious. It works.

BLM has been high jacked as a delay tactic and is part of a larger agenda, along with the over reaction to the seasonal flu, to ensure Trump is not re-elected. It is run by the same group that has hobbled Trump's presidency from the outset and continues to hamper the efforts of the duly elected leader of the free world. Damn, it took the president three years to build a bit of border wall, for heaven's sake...
    I’m fairly sure that Trump ensured he wouldn’t get re-elected all on his own. He lacks the necessary skills required for leadership, that much is abundantly clear, a stable country wouldn’t be able to be divided in this way and good leadership would be able to bring it back together. That he was responsible for the division and failed to adequately address it tells you everything you need to know about his presidency. Even George W was able to rally the country after 9/11.

Your disdain for the citizens of the US is unfortunate. Do you really think people can’t think for themselves? And if you think people were manipulated so easily into supporting BLM then it also stands to reason that many were manipulated into voting for Trump in the first place 🤦🏻‍♀️
    Last edited by Justjane; 28th June 2020 at 22:11.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justjane For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th June 2020), Ernie Nemeth (29th June 2020)

31. Link to Post #16
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Nope.

I'm no racist, I've traveled widely in India and Africa, and I spent most of my early years in Nigeria and Ghana. I have immense sympathy for All Lives Mattering. Including black ones, of course, and everyone else, too.

Read this post of mine for a very moving personal story that I shared. I really, really would appreciate it if everyone were to do so. It's worth it.

But "Black Lives Matter" (the anarchist, militant, weaponized, well-funded front organization) is something very destructive. I go on record as opposing that organization.

Not black people in America (and all over the world), all of whom I support totally. It's quite different. If people can't see that, after so much explanation on so many threads, I have no idea how to explain this more clearly.

And I'm not even American. I'm watching it all from afar. My alert to all Americans reading this is that you're in danger of losing your entire country. If you welcome that, then fine — but you and your children still have to live there.

What it's set to look like, a decade from now or maybe sooner, is present-day China. Good luck with that!

For Australians, watch this wonderful film (although you probably know it well). It's extraordinary, and beautifully made, based on a true story about the subjugation of Aborigines in the 1930s. Aboriginal lives matter, too.
    And regarding whether my views put me simplistically and one-dimensionally on the "Right" or Left", I'm for higher taxes for wealthy people and large corporations, I'm anti-war, I'm profoundly pro-environment, I'm not a Christian, and don't anyone ever try to put this complex, intelligent human being into a little box.

My opinions are well-thought out, and they're 100% my own. I belong to no group, cult, organization or movement. And I've never voted for any politician or party, even once, in my whole life.
    Yes Bill, you’re a special and unique snowflake, there is no one else like you. I understand the desire not to be pigeonholed or labelled but the terms left and right have clear meaning on the political stage. When it comes to voting for our politicians, it is the only meaning we have. These parties define themselves as being left or right. I understand your point, I actually agree with the sentiments of your point and I don’t feel the need to debate this any further. Im not trying to be reductive, I’m time poor. Shorthand helps. I imagine many others feel the same way.

Knowing where a person or party sits on a spectrum enables me to make some quick reasonable assumptions. Given that I can’t research every person and every party, I am able to use this information to choose who I support or interact with further on a deeper level. Then I can take the time to get to know, ask questions and so on. I simply don’t have time to apply that universally.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justjane For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th June 2020), Ernie Nemeth (29th June 2020)

33. Link to Post #17
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,754 times in 5,529 posts

Here's another reminder lest we really needed one with a short segment from Patrisse Cullors, in interview.

“If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th June 2020), Constance (30th June 2020), Ernie Nemeth (29th June 2020), Franny (30th June 2020), Harmony (29th June 2020), Melinda (29th June 2020), Mike (29th June 2020)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th June 2020), ClearWater (30th June 2020), Constance (30th June 2020), Melinda (30th June 2020), Tintin (30th June 2020)

+ Reply to Thread