+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Surveillance Capitalism

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Zionbrion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 times in 378 posts

Default Surveillance Capitalism

I would like to bring your attention to this important documentary with Soshana Zuboff on the nature of our current surveillance state. A lot of you I am sure are already aware of this, but may give you a deeper insight and good talking points to bring up to friends or family who use the ‘well, I’m not doing anything wrong’ reasoning.

She focuses on business using the data to exploit you through patterned behavior, really makes you think about how/when/if the governments use of all this data collected on us.

I have naturally always tried to remain semi anonymous online, but I was guilty of using google for quite a while. If you are looking to avoid this data being collected about you, its nearly impossible, but some things you can do are
    1. Stop using Google, try DuckduckGo instead
    2. Use the Brave browser, it blocks a lot of data collection and ads
    3. Use a VPN, it alters your IP address so websites cannot track your location

Another interesting video on this same type of topic is facial recognition technology. I often see John Oliver as part of the propaganda machine, but he still will touch issues a lot of other mainstream programs won’t. This one is very insightful

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Zionbrion For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th June 2020), Ernie Nemeth (29th June 2020), gord (29th June 2020), Harmony (29th June 2020), O Donna (29th June 2020), Sarah Rainsong (29th June 2020), Tintin (29th June 2020), toppy (29th June 2020), Victoria (29th June 2020), Violet3 (29th June 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,116 times in 2,548 posts

Default Re: Surveillance Capitalism

Excellent and essential viewing

I have actually mentioned her before in a thread somewhere a fair while ago now - I don't recall exactly where or when - and have her book.

Having a dedicated thread is of course an excellent idea, so, thanks again
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

gord (29th June 2020), greybeard (29th June 2020), Harmony (29th June 2020), O Donna (29th June 2020), Sarah Rainsong (29th June 2020), toppy (29th June 2020), Victoria (29th June 2020), Violet3 (29th June 2020), Zionbrion (29th June 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,431 times in 841 posts

Default Re: Surveillance Capitalism

Holy Si*t, not only do I suspect many people have little clue about surveillance capital NOW but they also know little of what's coming. (They'll social engineer suspicion and concern right out of critical mass need to do anything about it in the near future...oh wait....)

I've sensed the broad scope and power of technology but specifics starts to bring it all home.....LITERALLY!

Our despondence (and growing) on tech/ AI can never be overblown IMO.

What is something that is heavily dependent on something else called? CONTROLLED!

A sitting duck.

(Talk about a 'Brave New Word'!)

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

greybeard (29th June 2020), Harmony (29th June 2020), Tintin (29th June 2020), toppy (29th June 2020), Victoria (29th June 2020), Violet3 (29th June 2020), Zionbrion (29th June 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Australia Avalon Member Violet3's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Surveillance Capitalism

hmm, geez I have been avoiding looking at this one, maybe tomorrow I will feel up to it.
    Zionbrion thanks for the suggestions about changing browsers etc - I have to do something about this too. Sigh.
    Last edited by Violet3; 29th June 2020 at 12:20.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Violet3 For This Post:

Zionbrion (29th June 2020)

+ Reply to Thread