+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tom Nichols, Professor at Naval College, Right Wing critic discusses crazy left, etc...

1. Link to Post #21
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Tom Nichols, Professor at Naval College, Right Wing critic discusses crazy left, etc...

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    Quote Posted by Bluegreen (here)
    It is time to leave Left vs Right behind

https://twitter.com/diana_murphy613/...47010213519361
    We should all be aware of media hype while we reflect on the rationality of our biases and or beliefs. Like a perspective study in art class, you could say a fuzzy background informs the middle ground. We have to keep it amorphous and expansive and avoid perspective vanishing points.

We are spiritual beings having a material existence. The foreground of this life is where we live and interact with others. The very obvious concrete nature of reality, lived day to day is softened by ongoing reflection on the background and a willingness to let it's energetic signature bleed through.

But...it is still necessary to experience the obstructive nature of the foreground, because the greatest part of being born into it, is to afford us the opportunity to change our minds.

This is only going to happen through obstruction, through problems, through direct experience of pain and through exposure to ideas that counter our own. This is why conversation rather than debate is important. It is an opportunity, a gift, something experienced in the foreground, the mundane, where we live and work and interact with others.

You don't want to live in a fuzzy, undifferentiated background. It's lacks definition and renders everything meaningless unless it is allowed to bleed through into the middle and foreground. That is satisfying both in art and in life.
    For all of this year, I have been trying to refocus the conversation on what people want rather than what they think. There is so much disinformation on both sides that to me at least, trying to work out what I think has become redundant. There’s just no point. What I can be sure of is what I want. What I want the world to look like, what I want my life to look like, and to start taking action towards those things rather than continually wasting my time lost in circular conversations. As I keep saying, I have a feeling that despite our differences, we do want pretty much the same things.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justjane For This Post:

Anka (8th July 2020), Arcturian108 (9th July 2020), Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), Bluegreen (8th July 2020)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,254 times in 32,909 posts

Default Re: Tom Nichols, Professor at Naval College, Right Wing critic discusses crazy left, etc...

Quote Posted by Justjane (here)
    I have a feeling that despite our differences, we do want pretty much the same things.
    Yes, well said, and I wholeheartedly agree.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (8th July 2020), Bluegreen (8th July 2020), gord (9th July 2020), kudzy (10th July 2020), Yoda (9th July 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2