+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 3 11 LastLast

Thread: Do we have a Spirit? Do we have a Soul? And where's the proof?

1. Link to Post #41
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,020 times in 2,189 posts

Default Re: Do we have a Spirit? Do we have a Soul? And where's the proof?

American philosopher William James knew when his “second death” was going to happen.

He felt premonitions of becoming too small for his psychological quarters.
    “I feel myself growing out of myself in a certain fashion. My adopted characteristics are becoming too small and cramped to contain my new growth and development, and I will move on most certainly to larger psychological quarters. It is not only the physical body we outlive, but the psychological house we have chosen. First, after death we add new rooms and suites to accommodate our greater experience, but it is soon obvious that the entire structure has had its day. We must move out of it completely.”

Maybe we have been looking at our experience on earth entirely wrong. Could it be possible that we have simply outlived the size of our soul's spiritual home, our body? It may be full and time to move on to new quarters.

Here is a great video which "kinda" moves in that same direction.

Here is an article I found some years ago:

Russian scientist photographs the soul leaving the body at death

You can read the full story here: http://www.esotericonline.net/profil...-body-at-death

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Anka (8th July 2020), Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), Constance (8th July 2020), East Sun (8th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), kfm27917 (8th July 2020), meeradas (8th July 2020), RunningDeer (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (9th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), Star Tsar (8th July 2020), TraineeHuman (8th July 2020), Wind (8th July 2020), XelNaga (13th July 2020)

3. Link to Post #42
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,920 times in 1,827 posts

To start with, East Sun, we need some kind of definition of what you mean by "a soul" or "a spirit" that you might conceivably have. Whenever while you're sleeping at night you have a dream, in that dream you see and hear and touch various things. But you don't use your physical eyes or ears or your fingers to do any such seeing, hearing and touching. Part of my suggested definition of 'your soul" is that it's invariably whatever creates the "3D movie" and presents it to your conscious while you're sleeping. If you study some of the serious literature on dream analysis, or even just accurately writing down what's in your own dreams, you'll find that most dreams (not the nightmares, which arise out of physical sickness) are symbol-laden messages coming from a deeper part of your consciousness. And (If you can learn to translate from the intuition's language) that they contain very wise insights and warnings and deep observations regarding an issue and an area in your life that you've been avoiding, and not fully facing, in the last two days. Also, that they are presented from a point of observation that lies beyond all suffering, though not denying or failing to face the reality of any emotional or other suffering you have been undergoing in your waking life, consciously or subconsciously. So, then, the soul lies beyond all emotional suffering. It's essentially free from all suffering.

You may be inclined to consider your dreams to be mainly fantasy, or mere imagination. Hence, for you, the soul woudl be a fantasy too. However, all the evidence from accurate dream reading and accurate dream analysis shows that the soul's advice is always very wise, and sometimes its insights are also based on extraordinary and inexplicable but very accurate reading of the minds of others involved in the issue. I would argue that this provides solid evidence that the soul is real after all -- or that it's at least something you created, perhaps unknowingly, that's very much wiser and more emotionally stable than you ordinarily are. Unlike you, it's apparently totally free, of suffering at least.

Of course, if you want to say that your notion that you have a mind is an illusion, (presumably on the grounds that the mind is supposedly just an epiphenomenon of your biological processes and reactions) then maybe you can write off the soul as an illusion too. But in that case, everything there is will have to be an illusion. (But how would "you" ever know?)
    Above all, always refuse to cut your life in two: nonduality/duality, matter/Spirit, etc
    A mind which is not crippled by memory has real freedom. ~ J. Krishnamurti
    (True, deep) stillness is the way.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TraineeHuman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), East Sun (8th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), kfm27917 (8th July 2020), meeradas (10th July 2020), rgray222 (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (9th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), Wind (8th July 2020), XelNaga (13th July 2020)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,711 times in 2,086 posts

One of my buddies who I use to ride motorcycles with in alabama , his name was jack. He was telling me one time he was riding his bike with another guy on a stretch of highway that had little light. He said his buddy was riding in front of him and for whatever reason next thing he knew his buddy and his bike were sliding in a circular motion right in front of him. Jack said he couldn't stop and just as he was about to crash into his buddy, the next thing he remembers is he was standing on the side of the road with his kickstand down next to his bike. It was really dark and jack yelled out his buddies name . His buddy was laying in the road with his bike still, So jack helped him up and they got his bike rolled off the side of the road too. Jack asked his buddy what happened and as the 2 were trying to figure out what had transpired and how jack got to where he was never even hitting his buddy. They both looked over across the road at a woman in a white dress with a dog. Jack said she was illuminating of light. She asked if they were both ok? And they replied yes. Jack said the woman turned around and disappeared with her dog. Like just vanished. Jack told me that event changed his life forever.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), Brigantia (8th July 2020), East Sun (8th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), Jake (8th July 2020), rgray222 (8th July 2020), RunningDeer (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (9th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), silvanelf (8th July 2020), TomKat (8th July 2020), XelNaga (13th July 2020)

7. Link to Post #44
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,640 times in 20,812 posts

Exclamation Re: Do we have a Spirit? Do we have a Soul? And where's the proof?

This Life, Next Life (A Documentary by Dr. Keith Parsons~Life After Death):
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), East Sun (9th July 2020), Harmony (8th July 2020), pyrangello (8th July 2020), RunningDeer (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (9th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020)

9. Link to Post #45
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    This Life, Next Life (A Documentary by Dr. Keith Parsons~Life After Death):
    Summary:

June 20, 2015

This documentary by Dr. Keith Parsons offers empirical evidence for the Afterlife. A sequel, 'This Life, Past Life' is now also available on Youtube. (also added below)
    This video documentary, 'This Life, Next Life', covers the Cross Correspondences, the Scole Experiment, drop-in communicators, EVP, the mediumship of Mrs. Leonora Piper, together with a discussion of brain and mind. Are they the same or different? Interviews with Prof. David Fontana & Prof. Archie Roy, (former presidents of the SPR); Victor Zammit, former Australian attorney; Robin Foy, the Scole Group leader; Dr. Anabela Cardoso, Editor of the ITC Journal; Prof. Bruce Greyson of the University of Virginia; and Dr. Peter Fenwick – a consultant neuro-physiologist.
    Link to Books on Amazon: Lucky James?, by Keith Parsons

This Life, Past Life (A Documentary by Dr. Keith Parsons~Past Lives, Reincarnation)
    In 'This Life, Past Life' Dr. Keith Parsons examines the evidence for past lives and reincarnation. Specifically we look at three 'hypnosis' cases with veridical evidence. This indicates they cannot be based simply on fantasy. He also examines the spontaneous past life memories of small children, with reference to the work of the late Professor Ian Stevenson of the University of Virginia, and in particular to a BBC documentary on his work made in 1992.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), East Sun (9th July 2020), ExomatrixTV (8th July 2020), Harmony (8th July 2020), Jake (8th July 2020), pyrangello (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (9th July 2020), Samson (8th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), Star Tsar (8th July 2020), XelNaga (13th July 2020)

11. Link to Post #46
    Madagascar Avalon Member silvanelf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 times in 299 posts

Quote Posted by Justplain (here)
    The most incredible thing is awareness itself.
    Descartes used the phrase:
    "I think, therefore I am."

Along a similar line of reasoning, I like the argument:
    "I think, therefore I am a soul."

In my view even better:
    "I am aware, therefore I am a soul."

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to silvanelf For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), East Sun (9th July 2020), greybeard (8th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), pyrangello (8th July 2020), RunningDeer (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), Wind (8th July 2020), XelNaga (13th July 2020)

13. Link to Post #47
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

What of the premise a "soul" is earned through the trial & tribulations ones lifetime? Rather than something endowed @ birth??

Is the soul the same as the spirit?
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), East Sun (9th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), RunningDeer (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), XelNaga (13th July 2020)

15. Link to Post #48
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 times in 506 posts

I think, self.
    Then look.. No self, No soul.

An endless stream of actions and reaction appearing and disappearing according to there there nature.
    Anything that seems stable is gone from one moment to the next. Illusions of stability appear desirable.

Awareness is a funny thing. as soon as as you see it. It is no longer aware of what it was aware of before. Just a memory remains..

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), DeDukshyn (8th July 2020), East Sun (9th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), RunningDeer (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020)

17. Link to Post #49
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,520 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by East Sun
    Spirituality, Do we have a Spirit? Do we have a Soul? And where's the proof?
    It might be useful to rephrase the question in the thread title.

Maybe it should be: ARE we a spirit? ARE we a soul?

Always remember: your body is not you.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 8th July 2020 at 20:26.

18. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (8th July 2020), Brigantia (9th July 2020), DeDukshyn (8th July 2020), East Sun (8th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), kfm27917 (8th July 2020), kudzy (8th July 2020), Mare (8th July 2020), rgray222 (8th July 2020), Rhogar (20th May 2021), RunningDeer (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), silvanelf (8th July 2020), Star Tsar (8th July 2020), Wind (8th July 2020), XelNaga (13th July 2020), Yoda (8th July 2020)

19. Link to Post #50
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

This question is part of the control of the human narrative. We think that something real must be substantial and subject to the scientific method. This is a false dictum.

The scientific method, as we experience it today, has a premise that has been lost in the mists of time. That premise is very simple and very much mistaken: science can prove the non-existence of god. That premise has been proven by the remarkable progress of scientific technology, but it has come at a steep price. The price of our technological world is the incomplete understanding of the physical world. Our theories and models stop short of truth, stymied because of the premise of science itself.

The universe is not driven by particle interactions, including its forces. Yet science stubbornly maintains otherwise regardless of the mounting evidence against it. There is a reason for this: because God does exist and the science of the material world was built on a faulty tenet. There is a reason for all of this too.

We are in a war and always were. It is a very real battle between good and evil. It is a battle not only for your mind but also for your soul. The best way to win your soul is to prove to you that you are but the sum of your parts.

But parts of the whole do not make the whole because the parts not seen and unknown are not included.

The scientific method is incomplete. That fact is occulted by the fantastic trinkets our technology has made in our name. Yet we are empty for that same reason: trinkets do not satisfy and do not explain the reason we are here - or even the rules of the game.

Do not be duped. The proof of the soul is within, it cannot be separated out of the life lived. It is part and the whole of you. You cannot be without it. But do not look for it without for you will be deceived, and you will regard your will as your own.

You have free will, but only in the means by which you bring the whole to the parts. Only if you work for the Lord, in faith, and in steadfast belief.

What is proof of the soul? Love

20. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Anka (8th July 2020), Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), Brigantia (9th July 2020), East Sun (8th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), Jake (8th July 2020), Justjane (16th July 2020), kfm27917 (8th July 2020), meeradas (14th August 2020), RunningDeer (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), Wind (8th July 2020), XelNaga (13th July 2020)

21. Link to Post #51
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 times in 1,007 posts

Each is fundamental in what we might call a final reality.
    The journey of a great positive spiritual goal for those around you and then for you, together with them, is one of the great wonders of life, do not worry that you will go to sleep and you will not wake up, consciousness can not be annihilated .
    Never think that you have something to lose, not all seek meaning but those that do, will find it.
    Land in the movement of knowing yourself, but do not try to define yourself, because you are the definition.
    To look at those around us, they are not an illusion, to look for something other than we already are is like trying to look at ourselves in our own eyes without a mirror.

What purpose do we have to live? It is always worth risking to lose something, we do not have to look for other "parts" of ourselves.
    Questions are precious to each of us, while we all seek the blessing of something better, we can instead begin to offer the blessing to others around us and find a soul in anything and everyone.

If your spiritual appetite accumulates intention and intuition along with an infinite amount of good factors and unlimited potential for indulgence, it is a good start in which to stop looking for the soul.
    You are in one.
    You are incredibly lucky not to lose sight of this, because maybe even while you are wondering, a wonderful spiritual event can happen right inside you, you certainly feel fully that you are part of a spiritual community created even by you in this little second, wouldn't that be cool?
    To be able to offer everything in the spirit of the good demanded by an entire human race, often feels good energy in the air ... no need to think "It's just a journey man "
    It's quite simple and complex when we say we are everything, but more important is to believe that WE ARE.

If the questions come from a suffering, it's really an arc over what is actually the most important, you have to allow yourself to be seen by you and everyone, it seems risky, but you can try because the emotion is right here at at our disposal.

We can choose the most challenging option right now, with which to deal with it in the purest, most authentic, productive way, when you stop in front of a man on the street and say, "Hey man ... you know I love you? "don't be shy, jump over any prejudice and do what you like for the good and FOR OTHERS, it's not easy to take, but it's easy to try.
    Diversity can be good in the end, each style brings something new and of course we can talk about it endlessly, this is the fun part, as long as we keep the simple and good side of things for everyone (not counterproductive) is a good chance that we have.
    I am just one person who is irrelevant enough to recognize an entire human race as a reflection of what I think and do in charity with all my soul.
    Of course, there are always the remaining billions of opinions about this in the souls of other living beings, and we will never comprehend the most beautiful part of us because the truth can be greater than we could count the infinite.

(Note: It's just an opinion that I go along the road in which I failed to say everything and in the message I mean the third person, not anyone in particular)

Peace and love
    And all this to be just human.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), Brigantia (9th July 2020), East Sun (8th July 2020), Ernie Nemeth (8th July 2020), greybeard (8th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), rgray222 (8th July 2020), RunningDeer (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), Wind (8th July 2020)

23. Link to Post #52
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by East Sun (here)
    Is there a definite proof or not.
    Bill, I’ve added a quoted post so East Sun will received notification of your feedback. You spelled his name Each Sun and without the semi-colon and numbers (;1364815). Feel free to correct and delete this post.

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by Each Sun

From Bill:
    Thx for your eagle eyes, Paula — yes, because I quoted the thread title, and not a post, I did that manually, so it was my typo... going too fast. Corrected immediately, with my apologies.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 8th July 2020 at 20:28.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), East Sun (8th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020)

25. Link to Post #53
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

Quote Posted by East Sun

"As a person sheds worn-out garments and wears new ones, likewise, at the time of death, the soul casts off its worn-out body and enters a new one." ~ Bhagavad Gita
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

26. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Anka (8th July 2020), Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), Brigantia (9th July 2020), Constance (8th July 2020), East Sun (8th July 2020), Ernie Nemeth (9th July 2020), Harmony (11th July 2020), Jake (8th July 2020), Jayke (21st July 2020), RunningDeer (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), XelNaga (13th July 2020)

27. Link to Post #54
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,486 times in 1,711 posts

What is the definition of Love? There are many, of course. From a religious
    perspective it would be love of God. I have never in my life had a real
    understanding of what is meant by love. We say it all the time in songs and
    poems and fiction.

Perhaps this should be addressed another time in another thread.
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Anka (9th July 2020), Bill Ryan (8th July 2020), Brigantia (9th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), Jake (8th July 2020), RunningDeer (8th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), Wind (8th July 2020), XelNaga (13th July 2020)

29. Link to Post #55
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by East Sun

If I ask myself, am I Spirit or am I Soul where will be my proof any
    more than asking am I just physical only?

Brings us full circle to my original questions.

And as stated, there can not be definite proof.

I really do acknowledge the previous videos that say a lot for the
    existence of Spirit and Soul.

There is definitely something "beyond' our understanding.
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), RunningDeer (9th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), Wind (9th July 2020), XelNaga (13th July 2020)

31. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

Quote If I ask myself, am I Spirit or am I Soul where will be my proof any
    more than asking am I just physical only?

Brings us full circle to my original questions.

And as stated, there can not be definite proof.

I really do acknowledge the previous videos that say a lot for the
    existence of Spirit and Soul.

There is definitely something "beyond' our understanding.
    Merely contemplate your own queries and you will find your answers.

You just expect us to re-enforce what you already believe.

I know you are bigger than that. Accept what you already know.

Prop us up!

We need it more than your need for confirmation....

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th July 2020), East Sun (9th July 2020), Harmony (9th July 2020), meeradas (10th July 2020), RunningDeer (9th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), Wind (9th July 2020)

33. Link to Post #57
    Thanks

There is something beyond our singular experience.

It is our connection to the infinite - to our Lord, the Creator of all things.

Let not the world of the physical obscure your vision of the infinite - you are a unique fractal of totality.

Reality cannot be without you. If it were not so you would not be here...

34. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th July 2020), Brigantia (9th July 2020), East Sun (9th July 2020), greybeard (9th July 2020), Harmony (11th July 2020), Jake (9th July 2020), meeradas (10th July 2020), RunningDeer (9th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), Wind (9th July 2020)

35. Link to Post #58
    Language
    germanic
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,845 times in 3,177 posts

Just decide.
    What would you rather have/be?
    An answer from outside will never satisfy you, anyway.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meeradas For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th July 2020), Harmony (11th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020)

37. Link to Post #59
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    There is something beyond our singular experience.

It is our connection to the infinite - to our Lord, the Creator of all things.

Let not the world of the physical obscure your vision of the infinite - you are a unique fractal of totality.

Reality cannot be without you. If it were not so you would not be here...
    I really respect your view.
    I have to ask, How do we know that there is indeed a Lord. We don't know what created
    existence or what we are or anything whatsoever. We just do not know and we should admit it.

ES

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th July 2020), Harmony (11th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020)

39. Link to Post #60
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by meeradas (here)
    Just decide.
    What would you rather have/be?
    An answer from outside will never satisfy you, anyway.
    It's not a matter of what I would rather be or believe.
    No answer will suffice. I asked for answers and I got what I expected.
    There are no adequate answers because we simply do not know.

Why will people not admit that we do not know?

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th July 2020), Harmony (11th July 2020), meeradas (10th July 2020), Sadieblue (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 3 11 LastLast