Thread: B!tch Ass White Boy

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,606 times in 5,714 posts

Default Re: B!tch Ass White Boy

Quote Posted by Orph (here)
    Quote Posted by Frank V (here)

I would agree with that, provided that all other rules against racism outside of the NBA would also be enforced ─ which they most certainly aren't. So unless you're willing to ensure that all other racism will be smothered just as well, you would be supporting double standards.

There's a reason why that black player uttered a racist slur at the white player. It didn't come out of the vacuum of spacetime.
    I agree with the part about what the player said "didn't come out of a vacuum". It's more deep-seated than that. Fine. I agree with that position. But the NBA only has control over its own "jurisdiction" so to speak. It doesn't have the right to make rules for society.

The NBA rule is no racial slurs on the court. That absolutely has to be enforced equally. It's the rule. Otherwise, what's to stop black players from assaulting a white player with a round-house knock-out blow to the head? Hey, it's okay. The black player has had to put up with so much oppression and racism all his life, that, .... well, ...... we'll just look the other way if it happens to be a black player assaulting a white player. ........ Aaaaannnnddd, the rule says no racial slurs will be tolerated. But, if a black player is the one saying it, ...... well, ....... that's justifiable so it's okay.

Just because the are injustices outside the court of basketball (in society), doesn't mean it's okay to have separate rules for blacks and whites inside the court of basketball.

Thanks Orph. That's my position too.

The rule needs to be enforced equally, across the board.

By going so far down the social justice rabbit hole, the NBA has put itself in an impossible position. Theyre going to catch heat no matter what they do. I think theyve just decided that, by doing nothing, theyll catch the least amount of heat. It's not a very principled approach, but it's all damage control to them i think.

To treat the black player like they would a white player if the situation were reversed, well..their whole BLM crusade would come to a crashing halt. If they just fined the black player theyd be acknowledging a racial event happened, and they can't do that with a mere fine because it sets a precedent , i.e. when the day arrives when a white guy makes a racial slur against a black guy, and only a fine is leveled, the BLM social justice crowd will go absolutely nuts. But if they suspend or kick this hypothetical white guy out of the league they will be demonstrating inconsistency and hypocrisy because they did nothing when the tables were turned. Theyre in a catch 22 no matter what they do. It's a tangled web of their own making

So theyre just pretending it didnt happen and hoping it will conveniently go away lol.
    Last edited by Mike; 25th August 2020 at 17:35.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Constance (25th August 2020), Jake (25th August 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (25th August 2020), Orph (25th August 2020), PurpleLama (25th August 2020), T Smith (26th August 2020)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

I agree with Mike. I don't tolerate racism in ANY form EVER. This sentiment about it being okay FOR NOW is bull***t. It's NEVER okay to hate another, PERIOD. I'll judge the NBA on the content of it's character rather than the colors of skins. I'm getting sick of folks tolerating hatred, violence, murder, and a seeming open season on white people. I love white people. Don't you? I'll say it again, then I'll stop... I'm all for bringing black folk up! I'll NEVER agree to bring folks down, not because of skin color. That is ignorant. And 100% shameful.

I'll take into account that American Athletes may not be the brightest. I don't think the words ROLE MODEL matter anymore.

Please don't change the title of this thread... If it offensive, then it made it's point. No?

Jake
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (25th August 2020), Ivanhoe (6th September 2020), Mike (25th August 2020), Orph (25th August 2020), PurpleLama (25th August 2020), T Smith (25th August 2020)

5. Link to Post #23
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,816 times in 4,349 posts

Is it racism, or is it merely name-calling?

The reason I ask that is, was the remark worded in a derogatory or discriminatory way? Because then it would be racist, whether the player is white or black - it wouldn't matter. When I watch a Tarantino flick, I constantly see black characters calling other black characters n-word this and n-word that in almost every scene. Are they racially insulting each other, or is this just ribaldry...?

rib·ald·ry (rĭb′əl-drē, rī′-)
    Vulgar, lewdly humorous language or joking or an instance of it.

The only reason I bring this is up is, on the field of sports there is most often certain language that passes back and forth between players that is best described as ribaldry. I've experienced it many times, and there literally is no limit. At least there didn't used to be. Skin colour included. As awful as it may sound to those outside intimate sporting circles of this kind - it really is a brotherhood of sorts - this was a thing that guys did, calling each other names others may find very rude, even disgusting. It's actually a form of endearment. No slight was ever meant, no insult, and certainly no discrimination.

So are we getting our panties in a bunch? Not stating, only asking.

Racism obviously exists, and it manifests in many ugly ways, and nearly always as discrimination. It is malicious in nature and aims to disparage and belittle. But sometimes name-calling is just name-calling, and sometimes banter is just banter. I find it hard to believe the black guy here meant to call attention to the white guy's skin colour as a defamatory slur, as a character assassination. It's more likely he was just calling him a name: 'white boy'. Had it been the other way round, because of intense sensitivity these days, it would be judged differently, and yes, rightly so. But it wasn't the other way round, so I'm dodging that argument.

For racism to be racism there has to be a victim. If the white guy in question stood up and said, 'no, this was nothing, I was not offended, I am not a victim,' then I don't see how this is truly racism.

It isn't racism any more than this song, that I'm sure we all remember, is racism.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Forest Denizen (26th August 2020), Frank V (26th August 2020), Mike (25th August 2020)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,426 times in 839 posts

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)

The only reason I bring this is up is, on the field of sports there is most often certain language that passes back and forth between players that is best described as ribaldry.
    It's also called "trash talking", and yes it happens all the time. Not a big deal. If I'm that white ball player I don't even bat an eye over his comment. But my argument is strictly about a rule that the NBA has (apparently) came up with about not using any racial slurs. That's the rule. I didn't make that rule, the NBA did.

My argument has nothing to do with society, discrimination, white privilege or anything else. I am strictly talking about an NBA rule that says "no racial slurs". A rule is a rule and has to be for everybody. Either enforce the rule equally for ALL players, or, get rid of that rule altogether ......... Or (and I'm serious), rewrite the rule to say "white people can't use racial slurs". Because that's the real rule. At least be honest about it.

Like I say, I have one argument, and one argument only. Enforce the rule equally.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Mark (Star Mariner) (26th August 2020), Mike (25th August 2020), Satori (25th August 2020), T Smith (6th September 2020)

9. Link to Post #25
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

If we really want to make the changes the way we say we all do, we need to dig right under the roots of it all to pull it all out. The path to peace is purity, purity with every thought, word and deed.

We could have a Heaven-on-Earth, a Shangri-la, a Nirvana (whatever you want to call it) but first, we have to decide that peace is what we want.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

ClearWater (25th August 2020), Ernie Nemeth (26th August 2020), Eva2 (26th August 2020), Frank V (26th August 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (26th August 2020), Mike (25th August 2020), rgray222 (25th August 2020), Sarah Rainsong (25th August 2020), T Smith (26th August 2020)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,418 times in 1,676 posts

Quote Posted by Orph (here)

My argument has nothing to do with society, discrimination, white privilege or anything else. I am strictly talking about an NBA rule that says "no racial slurs". A rule is a rule and has to be for everybody. Either enforce the rule equally for ALL players, or, get rid of that rule altogether ......... Or (and I'm serious), rewrite the rule to say "white people can't use racial slurs". Because that's the real rule. At least be honest about it.
    We are becoming a closed society where "a rule is a rule and has to be for everybody" is no longer the standard. Different rules apply to different members of society depending on race, skin color, the political ramifications of enforcing the rule, etc. Irrespective of the legitimate problems underlying ill-advised social engineering objectives, the arbitrary application of rules and social decorum and law and justice between members of society due to any number of conditions, including race and skin color, is the exact opposite values of a free and open society and is the foundation of tyranny and totalitarianism and genuine tribalism.

Regardless of the verbiage of the NBA rule, we now know the rule really means "white people can't use racial slurs". I would agree we should be honest about it and lay it out as it is and see how it flies, but my guess is it would fly just fine. We have been normalizing divisive social decorum based on race for a long time now.

Those who consider themselves "progressive" should take note that this development is regressive in practice; we are once again beginning to embrace the very sentiments underlying Jim Crow, all in the name of social justice.
    Last edited by T Smith; 6th September 2020 at 14:57.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

Constance (6th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th September 2020), Mike (6th September 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2