Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turmoil in Thailand

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

Default Turmoil in Thailand

Mod note from Bill: I copied this here, to start a new thread, from the Internet Censorship thread.

~~~

Here in Thailand for those who doesn't know yet, the people are trying to remove the actual government (again), there is protests in Bangkok almost everyday now, things are getting hot and the government seems to be on the lose side of things, trying to boycott access to more than 300.000 websites and all the major social networks and communication Apps like Telegram (the favorite one used by the protesters).

I remember when the last big protest took place, they censored youtube and facebook, it was 2010 and the protests dragged for months and the troops stormed them killing almost a hundred!

In 2014 the army sized power of the country and remain until nowadays, the protesters are forcing the junta out of the government including the actual Prime minister (Ex. Army General).

Now they are calling for reform of the Monarchy as well, which is a huge issue in this country due to the very hardcore and draconian laws in place.

The government declared the state of emergency in Bangkok and things just barely start to get hot, I hope it end up well because the last time it was ugly, the Prime Minister said publicly on TeeVee he will NOT resign, doesn't matter what.

In the meantime the use of Tor network and Vpn are rising world wide including Thailand, after they started to censor websites and Apps via local ISP, people start using different approaches in order to keep up to date (Tinder App is one example), the point is: they can't boycott an unhappy mass of people!

Edit: I will post more about the protests against government and monarchy, the local papers are useless to get the facts straight, one TV channel that was reporting the truth was censored, for those willing to check what is going on here, the guardian dot com is doing it all right.
    Last edited by palehorse; 21st October 2020 at 14:05.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (5th November 2020), Bill Ryan (21st October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (22nd October 2020), edina (22nd October 2020), Eric J (Viking) (29th October 2020), Ewan (20th October 2020), fifi (23rd October 2020), Gemma13 (29th October 2020), George (21st October 2020), gini (23rd October 2020), Gracy (29th October 2020), Gwin Ru (24th October 2020), Iancorgi (22nd October 2020), Ioneo (20th October 2020), Ivanhoe (24th October 2020), janette (21st October 2020), leavesoftrees (21st October 2020), lisalu (8th October 2022), loungelizard (24th October 2020), Peace in Oz (22nd October 2020), pueblo (21st October 2020), rgray222 (21st October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (21st October 2020), Tintin (28th October 2020), toppy (20th October 2020), waree (22nd October 2020), Wind (21st October 2020), Zanshin (23rd October 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Turmoil in Thailand

This website has lots of information about the Thai politics https://voicetv.co.th/ but it is all in Thai languague.

Remarks: This website is partly owned by Thaksin’s family, Thaksin is accused of all imaginable issues/frauds you can imagine in Thailand. He is exiled in Dubai for more or less a decade now.
    --

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (5th November 2020), Bill Ryan (21st October 2020), Ewan (3rd October 2023), George (21st October 2020), gini (9th October 2022), Gwin Ru (24th October 2020), janette (21st October 2020), Peace in Oz (22nd October 2020), Tintin (28th October 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    German
    Thanks

You have to take Cartalucci with a pic of salt but this article points out who is behind the protests in Thailand. It looks like it is another 'color revolution'...
    https://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/2...hong-kong.html

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to George For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (5th November 2020), Bill Ryan (21st October 2020), Ewan (3rd October 2023), gini (9th October 2022), Gwin Ru (24th October 2020), Iancorgi (22nd October 2020), janette (21st October 2020), palehorse (21st October 2020), Peace in Oz (22nd October 2020), Tintin (28th October 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by George (here)
    You have to take Cartalucci with a pic of salt but this article points out who is behind the protests in Thailand. It looks like it is another 'color revolution'...
    https://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/2...hong-kong.html
    I am not saying Washington does not have their fingers here, they always have and not only them... Cia was very active years ago, not so sure nowadays, but the Thai people are very unhappy with the junta for years now, they were going to explode in protests anyway, they want Thailand to become a Republic, they want the country draw a new constitution, they want democracy at all costs, I have been talking with young people here, they do not believe in the current system, it is becoming beyond messy, and to make things even worse, we have the current scamdemic in place.

From the blog article
    "Links have grown between protesters in Thailand and Hong Kong in a movement called the "Milk Tea Alliance", referring to drinks popular in both places. Seen as advocating for democracy, the movement's netizens in Hong Kong, Thailand and Taiwan have unleashed a wave of online criticism of China."

For what I know the fight for democracy is the main thing going on, online I checked there is little protests from the Thai people against China, also does not feel it is about China. I found photos of people destroying royal images in public places, which is a huge offense and punished with fines and jail time. My guess is: a lot of unhappy groups will take advantage of the current situation, in the end it is all a huge mess.

Thailand is in bed with communist Chinese, the "first batch" of tourists to be allowed in country were the Chinese from Beijing (tourist and investors), actually they are back and forth with their jets and I doubt there is any restriction for them.

Right now I heard there were protests outside Bangkok, other provinces for those who couldn't make to Bangkok, in Hua Hin right in front of the Royal residence, Nakhon Sawan and Tak provinces in the downtown, people are posting photos and videos on twitter, Telegram and tinder!

There is also a group of people supporting the monarchy and they are identified by yellow shirts, and yes another colorful revolution!

They are saying the protests won't stop until the PM resign, I am not really surprised with people's demands, this is not new for Thailand, hope it all end up peaceful this time.

I would like to add some more:
    If the article is correct, people are fighting for a stupid cause! If (big if here) it is engineered by US, SEA will be probably trashed once again.

Also there is a huge interest from China in build the Thai Canal, despite the project is more than a hundred years old, it was approved by Bangkok to start draw the plans (not the construction), China would benefit big time from it, also it is part of their maritime silk road plans.

Last edited by palehorse; 21st October 2020 at 17:42.
    --

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (5th November 2020), Bill Ryan (22nd October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (22nd October 2020), Ewan (21st October 2020), George (22nd October 2020), gini (23rd October 2020), Gwin Ru (24th October 2020), janette (21st October 2020), Peace in Oz (22nd October 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,949 times in 2,388 posts

As I understand it the current King's father was much admired and even revered by many Thai people. The son is the antithesis of his father, an easilly corruptible playboy and embezzler. The student protests are a yearly occurence around October following the deaths (around 70 students?) in 2006? connected with the yellow shirts and red shirts fighting and Thaksins downfall and subsequent departure from Thailand.

I have to say destroying Royal images would have been absolute sacrilege when I lived there, 2000 - 2005. The percentage of people now upset with it will be in a considerable minority.

Edit: Just to add, the political spiders of the west will always be quick to capatilise on any unrest if it means they can get more control, however slender, over a foreign country. Yes, they've been known to manufacture the turmoil but in this instance they are merely capitalising on a genuine wave of unrest.

2nd edit: To add, you covered the initial problem far more accurately than my memory afforded in your opening post. it was 2010 and the protests dragged for months and the troops stormed them killing almost a hundred!

3rd Edit: Will they never end? My wife just reminded me that this is a cyclical problem for Thailand, many times the military take over, many time Prime Ministers are disgraced but hold onto power as long as possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanom_Kittikachorn

Quote Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn (Thai: ถนอม กิตติขจร, Thai pronunciation: [tʰà.nɔ̌ːm kìt.tì.kʰa.t͡ɕɔ̌ːn]; 11 August 1911 – 16 June 2004) was a Thai military dictator. A staunch anti-communist, Thanom oversaw a decade of military rule in Thailand from 1963 to 1973, during which he staged a self-coup, until public protests which exploded into violence forced him to step down. His return from exile in 1976 sparked protests which led to a massacre of demonstrators, followed by a military coup.
    Last edited by Ewan; 21st October 2020 at 18:33.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (5th November 2020), Bill Ryan (22nd October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (22nd October 2020), George (22nd October 2020), gini (23rd October 2020), Gwin Ru (24th October 2020), palehorse (22nd October 2020), Peace in Oz (22nd October 2020), Wind (21st October 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    As I understand it the current King's father was much admired and even revered by many Thai people. The son is the antithesis of his father, an easilly corruptible playboy and embezzler. The student protests are a yearly occurence around October following the deaths (around 70 students?) in 2006? connected with the yellow shirts and red shirts fighting and Thaksins downfall and subsequent departure from Thailand.

I have to say destroying Royal images would have been absolute sacrilege when I lived there, 2000 - 2005. The percentage of people now upset with it will be in a considerable minority.

Edit: Just to add, the political spiders of the west will always be quick to capatilise on any unrest if it means they can get more control, however slender, over a foreign country. Yes, they've been known to manufacture the turmoil but in this instance they are merely capitalising on a genuine wave of unrest.

2nd edit: To add, you covered the initial problem far more accurately than my memory afforded in your opening post. it was 2010 and the protests dragged for months and the troops stormed them killing almost a hundred!

3rd Edit: Will they never end? My wife just reminded me that this is a cyclical problem for Thailand, many times the military take over, many time Prime Ministers are disgraced but hold onto power as long as possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanom_Kittikachorn

Quote Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn (Thai: ถนอม กิตติขจร, Thai pronunciation: [tʰà.nɔ̌ːm kìt.tì.kʰa.t͡ɕɔ̌ːn]; 11 August 1911 – 16 June 2004) was a Thai military dictator. A staunch anti-communist, Thanom oversaw a decade of military rule in Thailand from 1963 to 1973, during which he staged a self-coup, until public protests which exploded into violence forced him to step down. His return from exile in 1976 sparked protests which led to a massacre of demonstrators, followed by a military coup.
    You are correct about the HM King Bhumibol, he was a hero for Thai people, beloved by many, in my understand he was a very good king for the country, helping people mainly, but you know there is people don't see that way, Thaksin was one of these people, he not only was involved in public fraud but also disrespected his Majesty the King and was expelled from the country, but I am no expert in Thai politics and there is always something else going on.

Thailand has had 13 or 14 successful coups and many failed attempts, starting in 1932 (after the great depression, Siam was already struggling before that) when they change from old Siam to actual Kingdom of Thailand, also known as Siamese Revolution (Siamese coup d'état of 1932) and it was a mark in history of modern Thailand ending the 800 years of absolute monarchy and since then it became a constitutional monarchy system and that is when the fight for democracy really start in Thailand with ideals of western democracy, nationalism, and communism.

Answering you question: I don't think so it will end, maybe one day when they get tired, Thailand has always been that way, your wife knows what she is saying, my wife said another day "Thailand again in the headlines" ahahaha, even before 1932 Thailand had many troubles, Thai history is marked with blood of the courageous people that fought to protect their land.

Thailand has always been reluctantly influenced by the western, today I heard that the protesters are divided now perhaps because of the "US magic hand", also it could just be another "thainess" thing, In order to know more will be necessary some deep analysis on the subject (crack the shell), the internal media is pro-government (of course), and the alt media has their own theories but not really convincing facts and some of them are very aggressive in their ideals, the exiled ones also got their own points, for now I will keep with the timeline of political turmoil in this country because it says a lot for itself.

Edit
    Was digging a little more and found out that the coup of 1976 (aka students massacre) was backed by CIA and it last less than a year and all efforts of democracy lost, they started from scratch again in 1977 which was another coup year, but then apparently there was no coup until 1991 when what they called "black may" happened, it was just another bloody coup where soldiers fired against civilians. In 2006 Thaksin went abroad in some UN meeting and the military used the chance to overthrew the government, another coup! This coup is responsible for all the others that follow until now.
    Last edited by palehorse; 22nd October 2020 at 02:40. Reason: basic timeline of coups
    --

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (22nd October 2020), Ewan (22nd October 2020), George (22nd October 2020), gini (9th October 2022), Gwin Ru (24th October 2020), waree (22nd October 2020), Wind (22nd October 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

An amusing aside:

Turmoil in Thailand - Winter is coming.

A Thai news channel this morning had a piece about winter coming early to the north.

Here you can see the poor primary school children huddled around a clay burner for warmth. The reported temperature according to newsreader.
    15 deg C

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (5th November 2020), Bill Ryan (22nd October 2020), George (22nd October 2020), Gwin Ru (24th October 2020), palehorse (23rd October 2020), waree (24th October 2020), Wind (22nd October 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Yes, the temperature dropped during the raining, here where I am it reached about 20 C which is quite good, generally it is something between 33 and 36 C, sometimes it get really hot with no wind, feels like an oven, thanks for sharing it, the kids seems to be enjoying

To complement this thread, besides the removal of the PM here are the demands (not the complete list):

- remove the monarch's legal immunity
    - remove lese-majeste law
    - cut off monarch funds, need transparency in all economic transactions.
    - no political opinions from any member of the royal family.
    - suspend all monarch propaganda
    - investigate properly the disappearance of various critics of the monarchy (this one is creepy!)
    - prohibit a monarch to support a coup d'etat

The last time it happen was in the 30's when the system changed from absolute monarchy to constitutional monarchy, but the claims are, it still being some sort of absolute monarchy, I would say that more than 50% of the population are supporting the protests, It gained force when other groups from the last coups start to joining.. all I can say, it is growing.

I heard they dropped the emergency decree last night, it was put in place only because the HM the king was in Bangkok and traveling inside the capital and it was for his protection, but anyway nobody actually obeyed, the protesters still there with or without emergency decree in place and there is no signal it will stop anytime soon. The protesters leaders are trying to make a deal where PM resign on Sunday in national television and then the protests will stop, otherwise the mess still going on.

Let's see what will happen on Sunday.
    --

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (5th November 2020), Bill Ryan (23rd October 2020), Ewan (23rd October 2020), gini (23rd October 2020), Gwin Ru (24th October 2020), waree (24th October 2020), Wind (23rd October 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I got some updates about the situation, and the deadline for the PM resign was moved, now it is today at 10pm, they said won't stop until they get what they want.
    Also there is a growing support for the monarchy, what they call yellow shirts, there were demonstrations yesterday and today, which is not clear if they also support the PM or not..
    This weekend will not rain then is expected a great numbers on the street and not only in Bangkok but country wide.

This post came up hours ago, I do not know much about this news outlet, but seems like they are impartial.
    https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/prot...-doesnt-resign

From US embassy in Bangkok (outdate)
    https://th.usembassy.gov/demonstrati...er-17-18-2020/

There were no reports from Russian and UK embassies in Thailand.
    Last edited by palehorse; 24th October 2020 at 14:30. Reason: added ref. link
    --

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th October 2020), Ewan (24th October 2020), gini (24th October 2020), Gwin Ru (24th October 2020), waree (24th October 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thailand Avalon Member Iancorgi's Avatar
    Thanks

The pro-democracy / anti-junta demonstrations won't go anywhere Imo. It will probably end in a blood bath as usual. Had the king been in the motorcade blocked by protesters at the government house a few days ago the blood bath would already have happened.

The current protest have an overwhelming number a very young participants (High school, Uni students...)with no experience at civil disobedience as soon as the M-16 will be in actions most of them will quietly go home (as most people would..including myself) The security forces will then be left with a few hundreds hardened protestors to deal with and they know exactly how to do this.

Under normal circumstances (millions of foreign tourists, all westerns foreign ministries, ambassadors... pressuring Thailand) the military rulers think nothing of murdering their own citizens to keep their power so I believe they fully understand t with Covid, worldwide economic collapse looming, the American election....nobody will really care or intervene if a few dozen protestors are murdered. There will be official condemnations but the Thai elite couldn’t care less.

I do believe Prayut will have to go soon and there will be another coup with an even more fascistic Junta in power.

I fully respect the protest movement especially since the participants understand that sooner or later the army will step in to squash them down violently. A few years ago the millions of red shirts had a good shot at changing things but it all ended in blood and tears. The current demonstrations simply do not have the numbers (Most of my Thai friends / family are sympathetic to the movement but none of them are really willing to actively participate as most people are dealing with the terrible economic consequences of the Covid shutdown)

Nothing short of a full blown civil war would remove the current elite. I just don’t see it happening now. Let’s get ready for another coup…Suthep on the street with his yellow goons…. I can already hear the tanks….Time will tell.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iancorgi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th October 2020), Ewan (24th October 2020), gini (9th October 2022), palehorse (24th October 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The PM ignored the demands and the there is more protests scheduled for today and tomorrow, time is ticking now.
    I have two in-laws in the service here, and they were told to stand-by because they could be deployed in their provinces, one of them was coming to visit us and now he can't at least he was told to remain in the military quarters until OCT 31st.

There is a mega thread on reddit about the on going situation, lots of links to twiiter and other social medias, if you are interested you should check here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/co...read/?sort=new

There is protests happening in Indonesia, The Phillipines and Laos as well, seems like the movement is gaining force throughout South Aast Asia.
    --

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th October 2020), Ewan (25th October 2020), gini (9th October 2022), Iancorgi (25th October 2020), waree (25th October 2020)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thailand Avalon Member Iancorgi's Avatar
    Thanks

An interesting article from one of my favorite Thai news source, offering an insightful view of the current situation in Thailand.

ANALYSIS: STUDENT-PROTESTERS AIM FOR AMBITIOUS POLITICAL CHANGE:

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/polit...y6ZSJnDsaMFijk

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Iancorgi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2020), Ewan (28th October 2020), gini (9th October 2022), palehorse (29th October 2020), waree (18th November 2020), wondering (5th November 2020)

25. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks

This is one good theory of what possibly is going on in South East Asia and .. elsewhere in the world right now.

Remarks: This video was posted by ExomatrixTV on this thread https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1353885
    --

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th October 2020), gini (9th October 2022), Gwin Ru (1st November 2020), waree (18th November 2020), wondering (5th November 2020)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Today was checking the news over here and one interesting thing is quite a few alt news saying the same thing thing "US funded Thai protests" but their references are no good since they heavily rely on thai mainstream media, it is almost an orchestrated move.

The protests slowed down for the week, but the the Royalist movement grew in numbers, there was quite a lot of people on the streets in order to support the monarchy, and the HM the King was there in person with the public, it was a quite interesting move I think.

Let's see what will happen in the next couple of weeks, by now Chinese Embassy are pissed with Thai politicians because they met with Hong Kong protesters, there is more influential people getting into the game and I do not know if they have close ties with US or not.

Ref.: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1769959/

More here https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/polit...biennale-stirs
    Last edited by palehorse; 5th November 2020 at 15:35.
    --

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (5th November 2020), Bill Ryan (5th November 2020), Ewan (5th November 2020), gini (9th October 2022), Sarah Rainsong (5th November 2020), waree (18th November 2020), wondering (5th November 2020)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hi,

they are all back this week, new developments in front of the Thai parliament, pro democracy protester against royalists, violence was observed and more than 40 injured hushed to hospital, people are saying there were shots and it didn't came from the police, even though the police said they are willing to use rubber bullets to disperse the crowd if necessary.
    A few politicians had to be evacuated through the back door and leave the place by boat because the crowd blocked the main entrance of the parliament.

News are in the front page of Nikkei Asia and other news outlets.
    https://asia.nikkei.com

Another interesting news from months ago, was about a Buddhist monk, he had to leave country, due to a post on Facebook related to amendments made by the Monarchy on issues of he Buddhist Sangha (it wasn't political), now even Monks are targeted when expressing themselves and in fact Monks are prohibited from participating in the political protests, it include express their opinions.

But then .. what the heck a monk is doing on Facebook..? doesn't seem right, anyway modern times!

Another day in Thailand! Hope things get better here.
    --

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th November 2020), Ewan (19th November 2020), gini (9th October 2022), Iancorgi (18th November 2020), Peace in Oz (19th November 2020), Trisher (18th November 2020), waree (18th November 2020)

31. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Early today I heard the people from Myanmar fleeing into Thailand Tak province (Mae Sot border Town - Myanwadee Myanmar side), the military junta from Myanmar (I don't know anymore what to call them, but the official army I guess), were confronting the resistance Karen National Union (KNU) along the Thai border, that's when things got really hot and the villagers flew over the Thai side, for what they are saying it was more than 5.000 people crossing the river into Thailand.

Since Friday the national army are cracking down in many of these ethinic groups, more than 30 were killed in accordance with Japan Times in Kayah state which is NOT the same location of the attacks today (Kayin State - Myawadee) - 2 different places and the media seems to be mixing the eggs once again.

In today's episode there are rumors the death is around 35 from the air raid by the junta.

The Thai military warned Myanmar to not cross the border, so far the Thai army was helping the villagers with shelter and food.

ref. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...tate-killings/

Here some curiosity for those interested, Myanmar and Thailand share a border of over 2.400km which only about 70km is legally demarcated, the dispute document is from 1826 and was never update, they rely on the 'Burney Treaty' since then, the treaty was signed between Thailand and Britain after the colonization of then called Burma in 1824.
    Last edited by palehorse; 26th December 2021 at 15:25.
    --

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th December 2021), Ewan (26th December 2021), gini (9th October 2022), Harmony (6th October 2022), Natasha (26th December 2021)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 98,599 times in 9,592 posts

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1577945944712159233

https://www.rt.com/news/564140-thail...ildren-attack/

More than 30 killed in shooting at children’s center

More than 30 people, most of whom were kids, were killed in a gun and knife attack at a children’s center in northeast Thailand on Thursday, local police said.

A total of 36 people, including 24 children, were among the victims of the massacre in the town of Uthai Sawan in the country’s Nong Bua Lamphu Province. At least 12 others were injured in the incident, according to police.

The man who shot and stabbed people inside the facility fled the scene and went to his home, where he murdered his family before committing suicide.

Thai law enforcement have identified the perpetrator as a former police officer who was recently released from service.

Local media reported that the man had been sacked from the force due to drug problems and may have been under the influence at the time of the attack.

WATCH people fleeing Thai shopping mall in panic as shooter takes hostages, kills 30
    WATCH people fleeing Thai shopping mall in panic as shooter takes hostages, kills 30
    The gunman made his way into the children’s center around 12.30pm during nap time, according to the authorities.

He first shot four or five staff members, including a teacher who was eight months pregnant, before attacking the children, district official Jidapa Boonsom told Reuters.

“At first people thought it was fireworks,” Boonsom added. The victims of the massacre were as young as two, according to the media.

Thailand has a rather high rate of gun ownership, but mass shootings are rare in the country.

The last such incident occurred in 2020 when a soldier, who was angry about a property deal, killed at least 29 people and wounded 57 others in a rampage across four locations.
    "Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
    - - - - Emily Elizabeth Dickinson. 🪶💜

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (6th October 2022), Bill Ryan (6th October 2022), Ewan (3rd October 2023), gini (9th October 2022), Harmony (6th October 2022), Johnnycomelately (6th October 2022), palehorse (4th July 2023)

35. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,087 times in 20,639 posts

These kinds of attacks on children are common in China, apparently, usually using knives, since guns are illegal there.
    Sucn a strange phenomena, and I wonder if there has been any credible psychological explanation for it.
    Demonic possession is the only thing I can think of.
    Quote Posted by Ravenlocke (here)
    https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1577945944712159233

More than 30 people, most of whom were kids, were killed in a gun and knife attack at a children’s center in northeast Thailand on Thursday, local police said.

A total of 36 people, including 24 children, were among the victims of the massacre in the town of Uthai Sawan in the country’s Nong Bua Lamphu Province. At least 12 others were injured in the incident, according to police.

The man who shot and stabbed people inside the facility fled the scene and went to his home, where he murdered his family before committing suicide.

Thai law enforcement have identified the perpetrator as a former police officer who was recently released from service.

Local media reported that the man had been sacked from the force due to drug problems and may have been under the influence at the time of the attack.

The gunman made his way into the children’s center around 12.30pm during nap time, according to the authorities.

He first shot four or five staff members, including a teacher who was eight months pregnant, before attacking the children, district official Jidapa Boonsom told Reuters.

“At first people thought it was fireworks,” Boonsom added. The victims of the massacre were as young as two, according to the media.

Thailand has a rather high rate of gun ownership, but mass shootings are rare in the country.

The last such incident occurred in 2020 when a soldier, who was angry about a property deal, killed at least 29 people and wounded 57 others in a rampage across four locations.
    Each breath a gift...

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

avid (8th October 2022), Bill Ryan (8th October 2022), Ewan (3rd October 2023), gini (8th October 2022), Harmony (8th October 2022), palehorse (4th July 2023), Vangelo (8th October 2022)

37. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,087 times in 20,639 posts

Stabbings of children in China are common
    Chinese Kindergarten Knife Attack Fail
    1,839 views Oct 8, 2022
    China Fact Chasers
    53.2K subscribers

"A quick thinking security guard at a Chinese Kindergarten stopped a knife wielding maniac from potential carnage. Good job!"

Watch the full show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDweb...

[QUOTE=onawah;1521732]These kinds of attacks on children are common in China, apparently, usually using knives, since guns are illegal there.
    Sucn a strange phenomena, and I wonder if there has been any credible psychological explanation for it.
    Demonic possession is the only thing I can think of.
    Quote Posted by Ravenlocke (here)

Each breath a gift...

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Ewan (3rd October 2023), gini (9th October 2022), Harmony (9th October 2022), palehorse (4th July 2023)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Apologies straight away for the speculative attempt at predicting the next 48hrs, hopefully the thread title can be changed and the whole topic moved to a different forum if I prove to be an idiot. (Wouldn't be the first time!).

Pita Limjaroenrat, who heads a party called "Move Forward"...

....has basically been barred from the upcoming election because of (fear) accusations that really hold no water.
    eg: He holds shares in a television company (less than 1% and the company was shut down well over 15 years ago!) And someone accused him of being a communist! There has been no investigation or opportunity to reply to these charges from what I currently understand.

A little back story.

Continued

Now, with the military encumbents fearing a loss of power the young upstart has been barred. Hint. Maybe part of article behind paywall?

The people of Thailand are not happy, (my wife is Thai - she's 8,500 miles away by car ignoring the water), and if the election tommorow? returns the old encumbents I predict riots.

I know there are several current members living in Thailand and I am hoping they will chip in with a more local perspective. (Hoping it doesn't transpire that Pita Limjaroenrat had a coffee with Klaus Schwaab whilst he (Pita) was at Harvard for instance).
    Last edited by Ewan; 12th July 2023 at 21:45.

40. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th July 2023), Brigantia (13th July 2023), Franny (12th July 2023), gini (13th July 2023), Harmony (13th July 2023), Kryztian (13th July 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th July 2023), Michel Leclerc (3rd October 2023), Miller (12th July 2023), pabranno (12th July 2023), palehorse (13th July 2023), Peace in Oz (14th July 2023), pyrangello (13th July 2023), thepainterdoug (13th July 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast