Thread: Torrents and torrenting

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,761 times in 21,166 posts

Default Torrents and Torrenting - Peer2Peer Filesharing Networks

To be sure you can download torrent files you need at least 2 active seeders, the more, the better ... sometimes a seeder has only a part of the file depending on what happened in the past. (I use Utorrent on 1 computer & Vuze on my second computer) both adding a good firewall with correct settings & the best antivirus protection is a must! ... On top of that, I use PeerBlock to prevent fake seeders sabotaging the peer2peer networks!
    • Be aware, using peer to peer file-sharing networks torrent files can be a risk if you do not know what you are doing ... I use it for over 25+ years now to get almost anything I want for my research >>> that is, among others, why I was/am ahead of things faster than most are dealing with "complicated" stuff.
    • Everything I just shared here is only for PCs not for "smartphones" nor "smartpads".
    • Did you know that Skype, open source PeerTube, Bitchute, Odysee & Rumble are all also based upon P2P peer2peer networks? ... Many were not happy when Bill Gates Microsoft took over the very successful peer2peer Skype program for 8.5 Billion Dollars in 2011, which was also a tool to share large files directly with each other much bigger than email can handle and was well known for free audio/visual chat communications with the whole world including free "conference" options!
    • Most, if not all, torrent programs you install will not work if your firewall and/or antivirus "firewall" blocks/quarantine the main program, which is a "false alarm" ... Thus, you need to give full permission to the torrent program's to do what it needs to do. 999 out 1000 times people claim they can not use torrent programs because they do not know how to alter/change firewall settings.
    cheers,
    John Kuhles 🦜🦋🌳
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 17th January 2024 at 18:21.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ewan (16th January 2024), Ioneo (16th January 2024), leavesoftrees (17th January 2024), Mercedes (17th January 2024), Nasu (17th January 2024), palehorse (18th January 2024), PiXelSHift (18th January 2024), scotslad (17th January 2024), Snoweagle (22nd January 2024), Sunny (16th January 2024), superior88 (29th January 2024)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 times in 477 posts

Default Re: Torrents and torrenting

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    On top of that, I use PeerBlock to prevent fake seeders sabotaging the peer2peer networks
    Mr John,
    Thanks for the heads up regarding Peer Block. I had no idea that fake seeders were a thing.
    I've been torrenting for a fair few years and try and take as many precautions as I can, particularly my whereabouts, and maybe I've just been lucky in that all downloaded torrents have been OK

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Le Chat For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (16th January 2024), Nasu (17th January 2024), palehorse (18th January 2024), Tintin (16th January 2024), Yoda (16th January 2024)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Torrents and torrenting

Quote Posted by Le Chat (here)
    On top of that, I use PeerBlock to prevent fake seeders sabotaging the peer2peer networks
    Mr John,
    Thanks for the heads up regarding Peer Block. I had no idea that fake seeders were a thing.
    I've been torrenting for a fair few years and try and take as many precautions as I can, particularly my whereabouts, and maybe I've just been lucky in that all downloaded torrents have been OK
    A fake torrent uses only a small part (hash file) of the whole that is compromised to affect big files they want to damage ... something may work for a while until the program or game crashes, and may you think it has to do with the original uploader or the makers of the program ... or you think you must use different "windows compatibility settings" or other means to "solve the unsolvable" >>> all with no real solutions, wasting time! ... Best is to prevent that from happening using PeerBlock before you start downloading big files. With small mp3 files or mp4 files, you will not see this issue/problem happening that fast.
    • Torrent "Hash Fails" issue!
    A "hash fail" means a block of data you downloaded was checked and the checksum (hash) of that block was incorrect, so it was discarded, and you wasted that time/bandwidth downloading that particular block. uTorrent, and all other torrent clients I am aware of, will just try again until it gets a good copy of that block. And no, it will not reset to zero but is just there for informational purposes.

Multiple issues can cause this... such as transmission errors, the seeder's source file is corrupt, hash information is incorrect, version differences from one seeder to another, and other various issues can cause hash failures as well.

Be aware that if this is not a legitimate file, meaning it is copyright material or other illegal download not intended for free distribution, there is a group called: "antiP2P dot org" that purposely seeds corrupt versions of torrent downloads specifically designed to interrupt, corrupt, or fail your download, and hashfail is often the result you see. This can be very problematic if you are downloading a large or poorly seeded torrent. Although it may not be the case here, here is an article talking about it for reference: archive.org/web/20131216...ls-torrent-fix

When you are finished using peer2peer torrent programs and you forget to close down PeerBlock completely some game networks will not work! EA is an example! The moment you close down Peerblock you will see everything works fine with multiplayer game networks again.

cheers,
    John Kuhles 🦜🦋🌳

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 17th January 2024 at 18:23.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ewan (16th January 2024), Le Chat (21st January 2024), Nasu (17th January 2024), onevoice (17th January 2024), palehorse (18th January 2024), PiXelSHift (18th January 2024), Yoda (16th January 2024)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    Thanks

This torrent search-engine link (which I use for years now) has no annoying "pop ups" nor "hidden scripts" nor highly annoying "advertisements".

Most "piratebay clones" (online torrent search-engine sites) are very nasty and can be dangerous if you have no good pc protection. I saw in the past few Avalonians sharing wrong piratebay links posing as a torrent search engine but is actually a trojan horse!

cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳

ps. online torrent search engine is useless if you do not have or know how to use a torrent program with the correct firewall settings! ... It is also useless when using "smartphones" ... it is meant for PC & Laptop users only.
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 17th January 2024 at 18:25.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ewan (16th January 2024), Le Chat (21st January 2024), Nasu (17th January 2024), palehorse (18th January 2024), Sunny (16th January 2024), Yoda (18th January 2024)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,118 times in 2,403 posts

Have you ever seen, or tried, https: / /www.magnetdl.com/

I have found it very reliable, and safe up to present. Of course the older the info you are looking for the seeders become much more rare but if you leave your torrent client running you might get up in the morning to find a new seeder came online and the file is complete. (My torrent client is Tixati, very reliable).

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (17th January 2024), Le Chat (21st January 2024), lilac (18th January 2024), Nasu (17th January 2024), onevoice (17th January 2024), palehorse (18th January 2024), Yoda (18th January 2024)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Torrents and torrenting

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    Have you ever seen, or tried, magnetdl.com

I have found it very reliable, and safe up to present. Of course the older the info you are looking for the seeders become much more rare but if you leave your torrent client running you might get up in the morning to find a new seeder came online and the file is complete. (My torrent client is Tixati, very reliable).
    Nope ... but I just tested it, and it works looking good & very user-friendly!

Good catch @Ewan

cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 17th January 2024 at 19:03.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ewan (17th January 2024), Le Chat (21st January 2024), Michi (20th January 2024), palehorse (18th January 2024), Yoda (18th January 2024)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,662 times in 1,606 posts

Bittorrent is one of the best and fastest way to download resources from other computers, me too started using it since inception and never stopped. Back then before torrent I was using things like eDonkey, GNUtella, AudioGalaxy, Morpheus, Freenet, Usenet/newsgroups (still very good but paid), and *IRC, some of them survived time and still active nowadays but user base is smaller, until bittorrent came into the scene which change things drastically. In the 90's I was able to use Fidonet protocol (BBS - that was the forums of the time but no file transfer) with all new developments that came after that and internet itself developing so fast, Fidonet became history!

* IRC - Internet Relay Chat but despite of the name you can also share files in between peers (pure p2p direct connection), back then that was one of the way to grab the real IP address of the counter part, so people could break into your PC after scan your vulns. So it was highly advised in many IRC channels to never share files with unknown people or accept anything from anyone you don't know, which later the issue was resolved cloaking your address, so then there was de-cloaking in order to evade it again.. so people with limited technical knowledge was kept at bay. IRC was a great place to learn programming and learn technical skills, hacking or whatever one was into. Still one of my favorite of all time places on internet, I even hosted servers myself for many years, but I feel that it is dying in a fast pace since circa 2013, so I decided to shutdown it all due to server cost and low number of users, unfortunately to keep these things online without being a business it means money from your own pocket. IRC can be deployed as private or public which is also great for small groups, co-workers, etc.. IRC or XMPP are the best protocols available out there to create any sort of platform, I believe XMPP is better in that way, for example WhatsApp is based on XMPP protocol in their early development, so one can see the potential using these protocols.

For files nowadays direct links or torrents is the way for faster downloads.

For torrent indexer I often access 1337x.to, never a peep in security, I access using Tor Browser with security level (Safest)
    Last edited by palehorse; 18th January 2024 at 12:47.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ewan (18th January 2024), ExomatrixTV (18th January 2024), JohanB (20th January 2024), Le Chat (21st January 2024), Yoda (18th January 2024)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Cool Re: Torrents and torrenting

Also to helps to speed up the downloads is always important to having a good update list of trackers. Just a simple search in your favorite search engine will return some results.
    Here is one example:

https://www.torrenttrackerlist.com/t...-tracker-list/

Here is a list of torrents sites, please note that some torrents sites like RARBG or KAT is already dead, so anyone claiming they are back is an impersonator and probably there is malwares involved.

https://torrends.to/sites/

Beside `1337x.to` I also like `torrentgalaxy.to`, but their interface is quite heavy, in order to use their search you have to allow java script in your browser and that will popup some ads, have sure to block it all. They offer cams in their website, so if a movie just released in some country, it will probably be available in few minutes after official release, some cams are grotesquely recorded, like the "camera man" is coughing or moving too much or some weird noises LOL but some recordings are pretty decent made with HD cameras. I got "sound of freedom" movie in this website right after it played in some cinema.. and it was very watchable so that is 1 positive aspect of this site.

[update]
    I just tested `torrentgalaxy.to` with JS disabled and it works just fine, I could perform a search and download the magnet file, so it is good to go without JS.
    Last edited by palehorse; 20th January 2024 at 04:04.
    --

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ewan (20th January 2024), ExomatrixTV (20th January 2024), Le Chat (21st January 2024)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 times in 247 posts

i use btdig.com as a torrent searcher + concen.org for esoteric material.. John is there a peerblock version for iOS? cheers!
    Humata Huxta Huvarsta

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parsi-X For This Post:

Ewan (21st January 2024), ExomatrixTV (22nd January 2024), palehorse (20th January 2024)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Parsi-X (here)
    i use btdig.com as a torrent searcher + concen.org for esoteric material.. John is there a peerblock version for iOS? cheers!
    Have you tried downloading, installing and testing before asking the question?
    Because I used search engine typing: "peerblock for mac" coming up with the same results as normal!

There are many sites promoting fake "alternatives" for peerblock that are (semi) commercial products they get a bonus for if you use their "Top 10" or "Top 15" or "Top 20".
    • The world seems to be full of scammers & liars exploiting the uninformed!
    cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 20th January 2024 at 18:02.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Le Chat (21st January 2024), palehorse (21st January 2024)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

john.. went i went on the peerblock site i saw only the exe version assuming it was for p.c's only.... why does it seem you are upset that I simply asked a question?

Because I used search engine typing: "peerblock for mac" coming up with the same results as normal!

There are many sites promoting fake "alternatives" for peerblock that are (semi) commercial products they get a bonus for if you use their "Top 10" or "Top 15" or "Top 20".

cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳
    Humata Huxta Huvarsta

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Parsi-X For This Post:

palehorse (21st January 2024)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

john.. went i went on the peerblock site i saw only the exe version assuming it was for p.c's only.... why does it seem you are upset that I simply asked a question?

cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳

I just checked it, and you seem right, only 1 executable option for download available, so it will works for windows users. For Linux would need to run it through `wine`.
    I never used peerblock and never had any issue downloading any torrent.
    Last edited by palehorse; 21st January 2024 at 16:00.
    --

24. Link to Post #13
    Language
    Thanks

cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳

I was/am not upset, just wondering as a Windows 11 Pro/Linux user ... last time I used a Mac was in late 1980s & 1990 (34+ years ago) and before that was super active (internationally) on a Commodore 64
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 22nd January 2024 at 00:33.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Parsi-X (21st January 2024)

26. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thank you john.. appreciate your contributions on PA.
    Humata Huxta Huvarsta

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Parsi-X For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (22nd January 2024)

+ Reply to Thread