+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Thread: Introverted Personalities and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks

Default Re: Introverted Personalities and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

Quote Posted by starchild111 (here)
    if I could do it all over again, I would do something in the arts. Photography, writing,, computer design, something where I don't have to be around people.
    actually, from the overtures into arts that i've made, and from what i know from artists, you need a lot of self-marketing and, in many cases, interactions with customers etc.. so in general, i'd say this path leads to having to seriously (as in having to make an impact, not humour-lessly) deal with (potentially many) people.

i've also found that you need a real drive and a passion for creating, otherwise having to invest endless hours into art-projects (and yes, arts are more time-intensive than anything i've tried yet) can be simply frustrating. for myself, after studying arts for a year, i found that i'm much more passionate about thinking/information/learning than about making things. (the best part about art-school was that i could listen to interviews on project camelot and elsewhere while working )

still, if the above applies to you, don't you think it's never too late to start doing what you love? (i know, this is so much more easier said than done, and i'm not saying that i could do it, but maybe you could?)

(and, btw, i'm very introverted myself - most of what is being said applies to me too. and i use too many brackets!!)
    Last edited by hohoemi; 26th January 2011 at 16:13.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hohoemi For This Post:

Corncrake (29th January 2011), Kindling (26th January 2011), Ramdass528 (5th February 2011)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member edina's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,171 times in 2,420 posts

Quote Posted by hohoemi (here)
    - i use too many brackets!!)
    No, you don't hohoemi. It's great to hear from you. Your brackets are just a way of writing our more accurately how your minds works. When we share, ..., let's start over, I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoy people sharing from who they are naturally. I like the heart of it. Like when Charles decided to keep his mistakes and such in his comments over in "The Key" blog. I like being human, and I like being with humans. Maybe I'm biassed.

Anyway, what do yous guys think, is there a tendancy among introverts to also be more self-conscious? I'm curious about this....
    I happily co-create a balanced world culture harmonized with Infinite Intelligence. ~ edina (Renaissance Humanity)

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

Adrift (23rd February 2011), Corncrake (29th January 2011), Heather2017 (29th January 2011), hohoemi (29th February 2016), Kindling (26th January 2011), Ramdass528 (5th February 2011)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member write4change's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,632 times in 628 posts

It is interesting to me that Bill has long been involved with MyersBriggs. I have studied it for about 20 years. I have in my hands several books on it. And if interest is expressed I will write one of my posts which any who read me know are long compared to most postings on a nut shell account of the theory of personality.

Several sites I have been on I have done self studies and the population of these sites are way way over the norm population of introverts. For the record I am an INTJ.

The knowledge of MyersBriggs is actively suppressed by the psychological professional community. My take on that is we all label and this if you are going to label you want more effective labeling. MyersBriggs study as a society is not about good or bad but the achievement of balance within a society.

I was first tested for this by the Jewish Federation in LA that was using this as part of the process of helping people find jobs and develop businesses. But it was a business for them. They were charging 300 dollars to take the test which took about an hour. And another 400 for a private session to interpret the test.

There is an online project that does all this for free in the US. They are gathering stats the world over to compare how countries are evolving. Their test is very simple and not very long. You will not get an accurate read if you are into psyching the test for what you think or feel you want. But if you answer quickly and spontaneously you will probably get an accurate read.

Go to http://www.humanmetrics.com

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to write4change For This Post:

ASIA (30th January 2011), Caren (26th January 2011), Corncrake (29th January 2011), Kindling (26th January 2011)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

Quote Posted by edina (here)
    No, you don't (...) I enjoy people sharing from who they are naturally.
    thanks, i'm glad you think so!

as for being more self-consious - my mother language is not english, so it's likely that i'm wrong in interpreting the word self-conscious in two ways: 1) being easily embarrased 2) being aware of the picture one is presenting to the world.
    if it can be interpreted that way, then say that introverts are more self-conscious at least in the first way, while extroverts are less often uncomfortable in social situations. as for the second interpretation, i suppose it would be a clichee to say that introverts are more introspective about who they are, while extroverts are more concerned with the picture they present to the world, rather than the depths behind it...

what do you think?

8. Link to Post #25
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,618 times in 504 posts

I'm pretty much an introvert. I love the quiet at home. I have some visitors that drop by and that's enough for me. Some people think it's weird, but that's just me. I find it draining when too many people want my attention. Some of friends find it odd that I don't want to be disturbed when I tell them that I need my alone time. They are all bonified extroverts. They thrive around people. Mind I like people just not in large doses.
    There will come a day when we know our true history.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrianEn For This Post:

Corncrake (29th January 2011), jeoseeker (28th January 2011), Kindling (26th January 2011)

10. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Here is more information regarding Extraversion (E) and Introversion (I). It’s not an either/or thing. The vast majority of people are a combination of both, but most people have a preference towards either E or I. And people can have a slight, medium, or strong preference. The energy of extraverts flows out into the environment towards objects or people. Extraverts have a desire to act on the environment, to affirm its importance and effect. They rely on the environment for stimulation and guidance. They are action oriented, sometimes impulsive, are frank, and find it easy to communicate and socialize. The energy of introverts is drawn in from environment. Introverts are very interested in the inner world of concepts and ideas. They have a preference for clarity and rely more on enduring concepts than on transitory external events. They have a contemplative detachment about life, and enjoy solitude and privacy. I believe there are some free shortened versions of the MBTI on the Internet, if you want to see what your type is.

Sorry if I posted incorrectly--my first post.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meesh For This Post:

Kindling (26th January 2011), misericordia (28th November 2011)

12. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

Quote Posted by BrianEn (here)
    I'm pretty much an introvert. I love the quiet at home. I have some visitors that drop by and that's enough for me. Some people think it's weird, but that's just me. I find it draining when too many people want my attention. Some of friends find it odd that I don't want to be disturbed when I tell them that I need my alone time. They are all bonified extroverts. They thrive around people. Mind I like people just not in large doses.
    Me too. Homebody. I work with people all day so I'm not anxious to be out socializing all the time for the same reason. I'm a seeming extrovert and people would probably be surprised to find out i'm not an actual extrovert. I'm not shy, nor do I have much in the way of confidence challenges but I PREFER to be in my environment. I've fought long and hard to have the environment I want and I'm not leaving it to go to some pub, have the inebriated breathing down my neck and pawing at me and then get popped for a dui. Some fun..lol. I do like to socialize but on my terms. A lot of really social people i know have this air of desperation about their socializing that I find disconcerting--Have to be there Tues, have to here Monday , gotta show up thursdayfridaysaturdaysunday . Poolcardspartiesdartshorseshoesetcet. Have to? If you feel like you have to do it, surely that takes some of the fun out of it?

13. Link to Post #28
    Australia Avalon Member TigaHawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,103 times in 742 posts

Ahh i've been in you're position

The corporate enviroment ate me alive. And i cant reply quickly to people when needed, however on a forum like this when you have time its easy, on the spot you just look stupid when you're trying to pull the words from you're brain and push them out your'e mouth.

I also found i had.. "too much heart" to be able to survive in the coporate enviroment. My first job was a phone company, did realy repetative role of just imputting information of new customers, and i was the best there at doing that. When a job came up that involved actualy speaking to a customer - but technical sorta - i was moved there on trial because i did so well with the other stuff not talking to clients. First day - got a guy who was told by the salesman that he would get reception on the 30th floor. But lost reception from the 15th floor up. He had also told me he went back to the guy he bought it from to try and get a refund, as he only got the phone specificly because they said it could get reception on the 30th floor - the sales staff pretty much laughed, said sucked in and enjoy you're contract.

I told the guy to go to the TIO if another chat with the salesman still got him nowhere. Leeeeeeeeeeets just say i was put back in the other section straight after that call.

The job that i warmed up to and well was actualy a GOVERNMENT job. strange that huh? I have just found, that government enviroment vs coporate enviroment, there is one hell of a big buisness. In government, you dont have the people breathing down you're necks trying to ensure they squeeze every ounce of sweat out of you on a daily basis in the name of more profit. Government seems to not give a ****, and love taking their time. Because of this, the enviroment was much nicer.

We could take as much time as we wanted on calls, as long as we were professional, and were working to fix a problem As long as you rocked up each day , on time, and apropriately dressed, you were fine. Also, all the people you talk too (make sure you get a job in a government IT HELPDESK - not a callcentre/information officer role that's public facing!!!) are incredibly nice - becuase they know you work for the same company as you.

So if you can... give a low lvl government IT helpdesk role a go.

Hope it helps

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TigaHawk For This Post:

Adrian86 (27th January 2011), ASIA (30th January 2011)

15. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Member gripreaper's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,685 times in 3,744 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    ----------Of interest, many Avalon forum members are Introverts - they prefer to write rather than talk (as Extraverts do) - and besides, the Extraverts are all out having a good time while you're there with your keyboard and your strong, vivid, internal universe.
    Hmmm. Never quite realized that the introverts were going to be the ones to come up with a plan!

I liken personality to a movie, the movie of life if you will. There are four quadrants, like a window pane. The middle horizontal line represents the energy nexus, where those above are masculine energy spend and those below are feminine energy conserve. On the vertical center axis, you have left brain on one side and right brain on the other. Now, in the upper corner, the left brain energetics are the type A leaders, the producers of the movie. One the other upper quadrant, you have the right brain creative energetics,the artists, the actors in the movie.

Then, in the lower left brain conserve quadrant, you have the thinking energy conserve who wants to get things done as efficiently as possible, these are the directors of the movie, and in the other lower quadrant of the energy conserve right brain, you have the observers who are the audience of the movie and just want to relax and enjoy.

Now, we each have traits in a primary dominant quadrant and a lesser dominant quadrant, some more pronounced than others The idea of unity consciousness is to bring all of these four personality quadrants into androgyny, the union of the divine feminine sophia and the divine masculine christos, internally.

Can we do it?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gripreaper For This Post:

astrid (27th January 2011), edina (27th January 2011), RunningDeer (25th April 2013), write4change (28th January 2011)

17. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,422 times in 3,394 posts

Quote Posted by KosmicKat (here)
    Yesterday my daughter opined that I have no ambition! The sad fact is that I have given up trying to have ambitions. It feels as if there is a path mapped out for me and any attempt to deviate from it is firmly but gently corrected. I know that I can contribute effectively in a world-class organization, but ...
    We don't need to do, we just need to be.... we are here to be the light, to anchor the light, to share the light.

Go easy on yourself, you are already perfection, its the understanding of that, that so many have forgotten.

When i need to be reminded of this myself, i go out into nature. Look at the beauty all around you, its perfect, and so are we.

Embrace you, love you , accept you.......

Blessings,

Astrid

p.s INFP
    Last edited by astrid; 27th January 2011 at 08:51.
    The greatest privilege of a human life is to become a
    midwife to the awakening of the Soul in another person.”
    ~ Plato

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to astrid For This Post:

edina (27th January 2011), MargueriteBee (27th January 2011)

19. Link to Post #31
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by cowens66 (here)
    Hi Esma,

I remember Intuitive and Judging from that type. Can't remember what S and T are. Can you fill in the blanks for me? Now I really have to go find that test. Connie
    From the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator link that Bill Ryan provided above:
    Dichotomies
    Extroversion (E) - (I) Introversion
    Sensing (S) - (N) Intuition
    Thinking (T) - (F) Feeling
    Judging (J) - (P) Perception

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Limor Wolf (3rd July 2011)

21. Link to Post #32
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Huge subject. I used to run seminars on the MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) - an extension of Jung's work on very fundamental character types.
    Charles should have asked us our MBTI type, not our eye color .

INTJ -- with hazel eyes.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Limor Wolf (3rd July 2011), RunningDeer (25th April 2013)

23. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,384 times in 633 posts

wow, i'm really glad i found this thread, i'm a complete introvert. i put it down to me having some experiences when i was a child that led to me becoming withdrawn, i must have thought something like, no, sorry, this is wrong. i'm not playing any more. and nothing happened in my life to change that. I wouldnt change a thing though. I feel absolutely connected to who i am. its a more efficient way of life. an extrovert might think something, and then run it by other extroverts to see what they think, whereas i just get on with it. my sense of possibility is way beyond most, because theres a lack of resistance that i might get from friends. i dont seek anyones approval for anything, nor do i need them for any kind of confirmation. my thinking is my own. i also have a greater degree of certainty and confidence in the things i know, than a lot of the people i know. socially i feel uncomfortable sometimes, but i wouldnt think twice about getting up on a stage and performing. i dont get lonely, but i know a lot of extroverts who cannot stand to be in their own company. I mean how can that be right?, to dislike being in your own company!. WE are still intact. i think extroverts are disconnected from themselves, and when they are on their own, that looming reality is never far away, which is why they HAVE to be around other people, anything to distract themselves away from an uncomfortable realisation. i believe they are the way they are because of the schooling system. at some point they gave up their own personal authority whereas i kept mine and rebelled against school.
    i also create things, artwork, music, lasershows, visuals, animations, photography etc. Ive lived an almost solitary life for over ten years now and i'm perfectly happy with it, just me, a flatmate who i hardly see, a few very good friends and my two beautiful ferrets magnolia and rose . i'm well reasoned and perfectly balanced. but when i interact with the vast majority, i end up mad as hell within in a short space of time, and the more time goes on, well lets just say that i dont see it improving any time soon. I wonder what percentage of those who have 'woken up', are introverts who always instinctively knew there was something not right, and those who are extroverts, and are absolutely oblivious to whats going on.
    something else i would say is, just because the majority are extroverts, it doesnt make them right and us wrong. it makes THEM mindless slaves, and US a danger to a system that KEEPS slaves!!.
    As for how to get along in the world..... i wouldnt worry about that. pursue your own dreams. As long as your prepared to make the sacrifices, put the effort in, and not be distracted, you'll achieve anything you put your mind to, but dont try to fix something that cant be fixed. its a waste of your time and energy and besides, its the world thats wrong, not you.
    Last edited by SKAWF; 27th January 2011 at 06:40.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SKAWF For This Post:

Black Panther (24th July 2011), meeradas (27th January 2011)

25. Link to Post #34
    United States Avalon Member jesterking's Avatar
    Thanks

A book you might find useful (if you are not already familiar with it) -is PLEASE UNDERSTAND ME by david keirsey and marilyn bates. I discovered the book by accident and was AMAZED at how accurate the information was. It includes career suggestions, learning and teaching methods ect. ..more info at www.keirsey.com

26. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,844 times in 876 posts

Adrian 86

At first I thought you were putting us on: "I have tried various jobs such as customer service, but none seem to work out." If you are truly an introvert, why on earth would go for a job that forces you to interact with people who are probably ticked off about something and act rudely. That's a challenge some extroverts like. I would suspect that your skills in IT give you a better chance to minimize interaction with people.

Some of the tests and books might help you understand yourself better if you aren't putting us on. Just don't lie on MB type tests. Yes we live in an extroverted culture but answering like an extrovert won't help you understand yourself.

And are you lonely because you want more interaction with people but are uncomfortable in crowds? I found I could enjoy large parties better if I was one of the first to arrive. I could pick out the folks I liked and steer clear of the others. That wasn't in the book.

You really need to get clearer about yourself and I wish you well.

Granny Franny

27. Link to Post #36
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

I too can so relate. I get exhausted around people and require lots of down time to recharge. I handle myself well enough in groups but often I go unheard. Unless there is any sort of out-of-the-ordinary event, like the subway stops and the lights go out or whatever. Then I always come to the fore and lead. It is the same in my job. I'm an electrician, and I've been at it a long time. But I don't fit in well so I've had many, many jobs. In every single instance I have risen rapidly to the top echelon because of my inter-personal skills and my ability to solve every problem I'm presented with. But soon others get jealous and the political back-stabbing begins. That's when I leave, I have learned to not fight back cause it only gets worse so I just move on. When I forget who I really am, when I am down, this aspect of my life hurts me very much. I could have given so much more had I been given a chance, like I always try to remember to give others.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Limor Wolf (22nd July 2012), mosquito (26th April 2013)

29. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member Bosswagon's Avatar
    Thanks

INFP, and it seems i'm not the only one

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bosswagon For This Post:

astrid (30th January 2011), misericordia (28th November 2011), Ramdass528 (5th February 2011)

31. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member jesterking's Avatar
    Thanks

ENFP btw and blue eyes....are there any other appolonians out there?

32. Link to Post #39
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

i remember the moment i went from introvert to extrovert. i still am an introvert by heart, but can turn it off if i need too. my family kids me about how easy it is for me to shoo everyone off and demand "me-time." guess i am beginning to understand why now.

very. nice. read.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

i would suggest internet based jobs or something like a writer or a researcher...

33. Link to Post #40
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by SKAWF (here)
    wow, i'm really glad i found this thread, i'm a complete introvert. i put it down to me having some experiences when i was a child that led to me becoming withdrawn, i must have thought something like, no, sorry, this is wrong. i'm not playing any more. and nothing happened in my life to change that. I wouldnt change a thing though. I feel absolutely connected to who i am. its a more efficient way of life. an extrovert might think something, and then run it by other extroverts to see what they think, whereas i just get on with it. my sense of possibility is way beyond most, because theres a lack of resistance that i might get from friends. i dont seek anyones approval for anything, nor do i need them for any kind of confirmation. my thinking is my own. i also have a greater degree of certainty and confidence in the things i know, than a lot of the people i know. socially i feel uncomfortable sometimes, but i wouldnt think twice about getting up on a stage and performing. i dont get lonely, but i know a lot of extroverts who cannot stand to be in their own company. I mean how can that be right?, to dislike being in your own company!. WE are still intact. i think extroverts are disconnected from themselves, and when they are on their own, that looming reality is never far away, which is why they HAVE to be around other people, anything to distract themselves away from an uncomfortable realisation. i believe they are the way they are because of the schooling system. at some point they gave up their own personal authority whereas i kept mine and rebelled against school.
    i also create things, artwork, music, lasershows, visuals, animations, photography etc. Ive lived an almost solitary life for over ten years now and i'm perfectly happy with it, just me, a flatmate who i hardly see, a few very good friends and my two beautiful ferrets magnolia and rose . i'm well reasoned and perfectly balanced. but when i interact with the vast majority, i end up mad as hell within in a short space of time, and the more time goes on, well lets just say that i dont see it improving any time soon. I wonder what percentage of those who have 'woken up', are introverts who always instinctively knew there was something not right, and those who are extroverts, and are absolutely oblivious to whats going on.
    something else i would say is, just because the majority are extroverts, it doesnt make them right and us wrong. it makes THEM mindless slaves, and US a danger to a system that KEEPS slaves!!.
    As for how to get along in the world..... i wouldnt worry about that. pursue your own dreams. As long as your prepared to make the sacrifices, put the effort in, and not be distracted, you'll achieve anything you put your mind to, but dont try to fix something that cant be fixed. its a waste of your time and energy and besides, its the world thats wrong, not you.
    From these brief thoughts I would say you are an INTJ.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast