+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Riots Explode in Egypt As People Protest Against The Government!!!

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member AlkaMyst's Avatar
    Thanks

Post Riots Explode in Egypt As People Protest Against The Government!!!

More than 90,000 Egyptians agreed on Facebook to turn out for a "day of revolution" to mark Police Day, a national holiday. Hundreds of thousands turned out for the protests around the country.

As reported here!
    Quote 3 Reported Dead as Egyptians Protest to End Mubarak’s Rule

CAIRO — Thousands of people calling for the end of the 30-year rule of President Hosni Mubarak clashed with riot police officers here in the capital and in other Egyptian cities on Tuesday, on a day of some of the most serious civil unrest in recent memory.

Three people were reported killed, two protesters in the port town of Suez and a soldier who died of injuries sustained during the protests in Cairo.

The protesters, mobilized largely on the Internet and energized by recent events in Tunisia, occupied one of the city’s most famous squares for hours, beating back attempts to dislodge them by police officers wielding tear gas and water cannons.

“Freedom, freedom, freedom,” they chanted. “Where are the Egyptian people?”

Security officials said several thousand people demonstrated in Alexandria, and there were reports of large demonstrations in other cities, including Mansoura and Mahalla al-Kobra. There, a video posted on the Internet showed people tearing up a large portrait of Mr. Mubarak — an act whose boldness here is hard to overstate.

State television made no mention of the protests, and sporadically through the afternoon, cellphone networks were interrupted or unavailable.

There was no immediate count of arrests or injuries, but the clashes in Cairo left dozens of people bleeding in Tahrir Square, one of Cairo’s best-known settings, near the Egyptian Museum and a Ritz-Carlton Hotel under construction. Tourists gawked, and older protesters said they had never seen anything like the defiant demonstration.

Just blocks away, in sharp contrast, calm prevailed and traffic was light for Police Day, the national holiday the protesters co-opted for their campaign against the government.

Mohammed Ashraf, a 22-year-old law student, said the blood drenching his white sweater was that of a police officer. Like other protesters, he echoed the deep-seated frustrations of an enduring, repressive government that drove Tunisians to revolt: rampant corruption, injustice, high unemployment and the simple lack of dignity accorded them by the state.

“Our government is unjust,” Mr. Ashraf said. “I’m not happy. The state is very aggressive with people.”

At least six young Egyptians have set themselves on fire in recent weeks, in an imitation of the self-immolation that set off the Tunisian unrest. Egypt has forbidden gas stations to sell to people who are not in cars and placed security agents wielding fire extinguishers outside government offices.

Facebook and other social networking media played a large role in the Tunisian uprising, and seemed primed to play a role in Egypt as well. More than 90,000 people signed up on a Facebook page for the Tuesday protests, framed by the organizers as a stand against torture, poverty, corruption and unemployment. But the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt’s most powerful opposition movement, said it would not officially participate, though some of its members joined the protesters in Cairo.

A small demonstration began sometime after noon but quickly swelled, with hundreds marching through winding streets as security officers formed a moving cordon. Scuffles broke out as the officers tried to halt the march by linking arms and forming lines.

One woman was injured when the officers pushed protesters against a wall near an entrance ramp to a bridge over the Nile River. But the demonstrators quickly escaped the cordon and marched down the riverside corniche, snarling traffic.

By the mid-afternoon, groups of people had converged in Tahrir Square, where they met security forces in full riot gear and a water cannon truck. Several people said the clashes began in earnest after protesters jumped on the truck and tried to take control of the water cannon.

Thousands occupied the square, including young men who threw rocks at the police. Some in the security force stooped to pick up the rocks and hurl them back at the protesters.

The marchers included young people documenting the clashes with cellphone cameras and middle-aged people carrying flags of the Wafd party, one of Egypt’s opposition groups. A young doctor, Wissam Abdulaziz, said she had traveled two hours to join the protest. She said she had been to one protest before, after the police were accused of fatally beating a young man in Alexandria to death last year.

“I came to change the government,” she said. “I came to change the entire regime.”

Liam Stack and Dawlat Magdy contributed.
    Here are a couple videos......
    Blessings,
    AlkaMyst
    Last edited by AlkaMyst; 26th January 2011 at 02:04.
    Food for Thought.......

"If I were you?, Who would I be?
    If I were you?, Will I still be me?
    Who's are they, this eyes through which I see?
    Looking, Looking Back at Me"

Taken from the Documentary -"Who's Driving The Dreambus"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlkaMyst For This Post:

58andfixed (26th January 2011), Alliamber (31st January 2011), vericocha (27th January 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    New Zealand Avalon Member witchy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,712 times in 1,183 posts

Default Re: Riots Explode in Egypt As Prople Protest Against The Government!!!

Thanks Alk, these outbreaks seem to be gaining momentum - meaning people are waking up and reacting the best way they know how

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to witchy1 For This Post:

AlkaMyst (27th January 2011), Alliamber (31st January 2011), Fred259 (27th January 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Smile Re: Riots Explode in Egypt As Prople Protest Against The Government!!!

You're welcome witchy1, I know what you mean but I have a funny feeling that this is just the beginning and that we are going to see stuff like this all year round, including the US.

PS
    Anyone interested, you can go to http://www.wwwpropheticseercom.blogspot.com/ for a live stream show right now talking about the upcoming events regarding the New Madrid Faulk

Blessings,
    AlkaMyst
    Food for Thought.......

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AlkaMyst For This Post:

Kra (1st February 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    New Zealand Avalon Member witchy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,712 times in 1,183 posts

Hmmm, clearly they are preparing for a major earthquake with the govt requesting contracts for prepackaged food and blankets (to last 3 years) on another thread.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to witchy1 For This Post:

AlkaMyst (27th January 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: Riots Explode in Egypt As Prople Protest Against The Government!!!

witchy1
    Quote Hmmm, clearly they are preparing for a major earthquake with the govt requesting contracts for prepackaged food and blankets (to last 3 years) on another thread.
    I read that.....and they are also trying to buy up all the survival food from companies so we can't get any, they really want to get rid of us!!!

Blessings,
    AlkaMyst
    Food for Thought.......

10. Link to Post #6
    Ireland Avalon Member irishspirit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,720 times in 462 posts

Mubarak's defense minister bids for US backing in Washington

US

Egyptian Defense Minister Field Marshal Mohamed Tantawi

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has sent his defense minister Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi to Washington with an urgent request for US backing for his embattled regime against the street protest movement which gained in violence on its second day, Wednesday, Jan. 26. debkafile's Washington sources report that in secret meetings, the Egyptian defense minister put the situation before President Barack Obama and a row of top US political, military and intelligence officials. He warned them that by advocating a soft hand with the demonstrators and responsiveness to their demands, American officials were doing more harm than good. Without a crackdown, he said, the regime was doomed.

Tantawi also warned that the radical Muslim Brotherhood, which has stood aside from the opposition protests, was merely biding its time for the right moment to step in and take over. He asked the Obama administration for an urgent airlift of advanced riot control equipment.

The American response to the case presented by Tantawi is not known. Disclosure of his trip to Washington might well add fuel to the fires of disaffection burning in cities across Egypt. The protests are spearheaded by a youth opposition coalition whose members are proud of their Arab and Egyptian identity. Evidence of the regime's collaboration with a foreign power may well heighten their resolve to battle the regime and the million security services agents which Mubarak put on the streets Wednesday.

http://www.debka.com/article/20590/

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Reports of ‘massacre’ in Suez as protests in Egypt move into third day

Anti-government protests in Egypt moved into their third day early Thursday, with unconfirmed reports of police "massacres" of civilians in the port city of Suez.
    In Cairo, protesters "played cat and mouse with police" into the early hours of Thursday, Reuters reported. Opposition groups reported on their websites that electronic communications had been cut off in the city center, and parts of the city were experiencing blackouts.

The official death toll stood at six over the first two days of protests, but social networks were abuzz with claims of police shooting at protesters, many of those reports focusing on the city of Suez, where protesters torched a government building on Wednesday.
    "Security forces are committing heinous massacres and there is zero media coverage," read an update on the web page of Suez from Egyptian Association for Change - USA, an opposition group that had joined the call for an uprising starting on January 25.

"Government is trying to cover up what happened in city of Suez. Media banned from entry," read another update. "Reporters from Suez, Al Jazeerah, Dream and Al Mehwar were prohibited from entering Suez to enforce a media blackout on the subject."

Others reported on the web page that a curfew was placed on the city and police were using "live ammunition."

Yet another update asserted that communications and electricity in Suez had been completely cut off, something also asserted by the We Are All Khaled Said protest group, which didn't report a "massacre" but did warn of an impending one.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/r...rotests-egypt/
    Open your eyes and you will see, open your heart and your will feel.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irishspirit For This Post:

AlkaMyst (27th January 2011), Alliamber (31st January 2011)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Yemeni protesters rally against long-time ruler

Yemeni protesters inspired by recent events in Tunisia rallied in the streets of Sanaa on Thursday to call for the departure of President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who has been in power since 1978.
    By News Wires (text)

AFP - Thousands of Yemenis demonstrated in the capital on Thursday, calling on President Ali Abdullah Saleh to depart after being in power since 1978, AFP correspondents reported.
    "Enough being in power for (over) 30 years," chanted protesters in demonstrations staged by the Common Forum opposition in four different locations in Sanaa.
    They also referred to the ouster of Tunisian president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, saying he was "gone in just (over) 20 years."
    "No to extending (presidential tenure). No to bequeathing (the presidency)," they chanted, insisting that it was "time for change."

http://www.france24.com/en/20110127-...p-down-tunisia

13. The Following User Says Thank You to irishspirit For This Post:

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

15. The Following User Says Thank You to irishspirit For This Post:

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Default Re: Riots Explode in Egypt As People Protest Against The Government!!!

irishspirit

Thanks for this info, much appreciated!

Blessings,
    AlkaMyst
    Food for Thought.......

17. Link to Post #10
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Default Nobel Peace Prize Winner Mohamed ElBaradei Spearheads Egypt Uprising

NOBEL Peace Prize laureate and dissident leader Mohamed ElBaradei last night took to the front line of Egypt's fledgling democracy movement, as police beat his supporters, doused him with water cannon and trapped him inside a mosque in central Cairo.

The Egyptian capital was the scene of violent chaos, when tens of thousands of anti-government protesters stoned and confronted police, who fired back with rubber bullets, teargas and water cannons at the end of Friday prayers.

It was a major escalation in what was already the biggest challenge to authoritarian President Hosni Mubarak's 30-year rule.

On the fourth day of nationwide protests, police used batons to beat some of Dr ElBaradei's supporters, who surrounded him to protect him.

A soaked Dr ElBaradei, the former head of the UN Atomic Energy Agency who flew back to join the protests for the first time earlier yesterday, was trapped inside the al-Istiqama mosque in Giza while hundreds of riot police laid siege to it, firing teargas in the streets so no one could leave.

Groups of protesters, in their thousands, gathered at at least six Cairo venues, many marching towards major squares.

They are demanding Mr Mubarak's ouster and venting their rage at years of government neglect that has led to rampant poverty, unemployment and rising food prices.

There were clashes between thousands of demonstrators and police in the Mediterranean port city of Alexandria and Minya, south of Cairo. There were smaller protests in Assiut, south of Cairo, and al-Arish on the Sinai peninsula. Authorities cut most mobile phone and internet services in an attempt to thwart the growing protests, but the April 6 movement spearheading the demonstrations vowed to keep calling for street protests.

In the Mohandiseen district, at least 10,000 people were marching towards the city centre chanting "down, down with Mubarak". The crowd swelled to about 20,000 as they made their way through residential areas. At Ramsis Square, in the heart of the city, thousands clashed with police as they left the al-Nur mosque after prayers. Police used teargas and rubber bullets and some of the teargas was fired inside the mosque.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225996466724
    Last edited by jackovesk; 28th January 2011 at 15:45.

18. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Egypt today

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheCougarandEagle For This Post:

mrmalco (28th January 2011), stomy (28th January 2011)

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Default Re: Egypt today

Economy is the source of problems. Prepare to put food and water aside for a rainy day. believe strongly in creating a garden

21. The Following User Says Thank You to stomy For This Post:

Alliamber (31st January 2011)

22. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,545 times in 2,615 posts

I had put this in Living off The Grid forum under Food and Water but will put it here too.
    I listened to an NPR radio interview last night regarding Egypt and Tunesias riots over the past week.

The person being interviewed was one of the protestor coordinators in Egypt.

He said that the main reason for the protests had not only do do with tyranny, but due to the upward spiral of the cost of food and lack of availablity as well as unemployment.

He said the protestors were of all ages and soical classes. Families were bringing their children out into the streets to protest with them as the situation is so urgent..

In Egypt:
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...438179651.html

http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/...shortage_N.htm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/baby...xport-ban.html

In Tunesia a few people set themselves on fire as a protest regarding the cost of food.

http://www.afrik-news.com/article18703.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41101655...east/n_africa/

Now, not to harp, but have you started your food storage plan yet?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

24. Link to Post #14
    England Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 times in 304 posts

hyper inflation on the breadline just means starvation. you either watch your kids slowly starve to death or you stand up whilst you still can. prepare for this effect to grow exponentially. tunisian outcome represents hope. hope is addictive. send love to all these poor people.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mondaze For This Post:

Alliamber (31st January 2011), giovonni (28th January 2011)

26. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Facebook can be for the people, if you know how to use it, as these students have.
    I do believe they shutdown the internet a little too late, way too many people are now connected instantly, all it takes is one........

On Egypt's streets, Facebook protests spawn a mass revolt
    The atmosphere in Cairo is tense: Anti-riot vans patrol the boulevards, armored trucks are parked near flashpoints and plain clothes officers are everywhere.

quote from article:
    By Tuesday, over 90,000 people had signed up to the Facebook event. This time around it looks set to be much bigger. ‘One social media outlet rallying people to the street has 381,000 supporters at the last count,” says Hisham Kassem, a respected independent editor.
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/internat...evolt-1.339800
    The states of awareness we currently perceive are only a thiny fraction of the whole.
    The continuum extends deep into nonphysical areas of the universe far beyond our current physical comprehension ~ William Buhlman

27. The Following User Says Thank You to rosie For This Post:

28. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Heartsong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 times in 498 posts

From CNN
    Egyptian protesters chant 'Freedom!'
    By the CNN Wire Staff
    January 28, 2011 -- Updated 2051 GMT (0451 HKT)

Cairo, Egypt (CNN) -- "Freedom!" the crowds chanted along the banks of the Nile River in Cairo after dark Friday, defying a curfew being enforced by troops with armored personnel carriers and tear gas.

The demonstrators had been out on the street all day, not just in the capital, but in Alexandria and Suez as well, prompting President Hosni Mubarak to send troops out onto the streets for the first time in a generation.

The demonstrators surrounded a military vehicle, even climbing on top of it -- and the military did not respond.

But when the protesters circled the Ministry of Information, they were greeted by police, who responded with sharp cracks of gunfire.

It's not clear whether police shot at protesters or into the air, whether their bullets were rubber or steel, whether anyone was wounded or killed.

As the night wore on, however, police appeared to retreat to their stations, leaving the streets to the military.

In both Cairo and Alexandria, protesters greeted the troops with embraces and cheers. Demonstrators shook hands with soldiers, members of an army that is widely respected in Egypt.

The army isn't the only side exercising restraint.

The Muslim Brotherhood sent its followers onto the streets after Friday prayers, the first time Egypt's large and venerable -- but illegal -- Islamic opposition called for protest during this round of demonstrations.

And when younger Muslim Brotherhood protesters seemed ready to hurl rocks at the police in Alexandria, Egypt's second-largest city, older men put their arms around the shoulders of the hotheads, calming them down.

Four days into unprecedented protests that have shaken Egypt, both sides seem to be holding back from the brink. How long that restraint last may determine the course of Egypt's future.

CNN's Ben Wedeman in Cairo and Nic Robertson in Alexandria contributed to this report.
    (Emphasis mine - Heartsong)

29. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

The demonstrators had been out on the street all day, not just in the capital, but in Alexandria and Suez as well, prompting President Hosni Mubarak to send troops out onto the streets for the first time in a generation.

This is not true, when I was there in the mid 80's to early 90's there were several times troops were called onto the streets. The first time was when the luxury hotels were burned to the ground in Giza and martial law was declared. Tanks rolled down the streets and curfews were in place. The rioting at that time was by mandatory military recruits who were literally starving to death on the wages they received to live on. The second time was about 18 months later when heavy protesting about Mubarek's absense from his troubled country were taking place during elections of minor offices at which the president was in attendence of.
    Layers upon Layers...when will people wake up and stop playing their game?

30. Link to Post #18
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Default Egypt protests: America's "SECRET BACKING" for rebel leaders behind uprising!

Egypt protests: America's secret backing for rebel leaders behind uprising

By Tim Ross, Matthew Moore and Steven Swinford 9:23PM GMT 28 Jan 2011

The American government secretly backed leading figures behind the Egyptian uprising who have been planning “regime change” for the past three years, The Daily Telegraph has learned.

The American Embassy in Cairo helped a young dissident attend a US-sponsored summit for activists in New York, while working to keep his identity secret from Egyptian state police.

On his return to Cairo in December 2008, the activist told US diplomats that an alliance of opposition groups had drawn up a plan to overthrow President Hosni Mubarak and install a democratic government in 2011.

The secret document in full...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rotesters.html

He has already been arrested by Egyptian security in connection with the demonstrations and his identity is being protected by The Daily Telegraph.

The crisis in Egypt follows the toppling of Tunisian president Zine al-Abedine Ben Ali, who fled the country after widespread protests forced him from office.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-uprising.html

PS - Don't know whether this is Dis-Info or not? If true looks like the Corrupt American Govt. have their Puppet Ready to Go!

Mubarak orders Egyptian government to resign as death toll rises

PRESIDENT Hosni Mubarak has ordered Egypt's government to resign and vowed to bring in democratic reforms, in a televised address to the nation after several days of deadly anti-regime protests.
    "I have asked the government to resign and tomorrow there will be a new government," a stoney-faced Mubarak said early today after four days of protests demanding his resignation in which at least 27 people have been killed.

Mubarak, in power for three decades, vowed to bring in "new measures" for democracy and justice without giving any indication of other changes, even as protests raged in Cairo and other cities despite a night-time curfew.

US President Barack Obama called on Mubarak to take concrete steps towards political reform and to refrain from using violence against protesters.

"I want to be very clear in calling upon the Egyptian authorities to refrain from any violence against peaceful protesters," Obama said in a statement shortly after speaking with Mubarak by telephone for 30 minutes. "The people of Egypt have rights that are universal. That includes the right to peaceful assembly and association. The right to free speech and the ability to determine their own destiny. These are human rights."

Protests in Egypt yesterday entered their fourth day, with demonstrators calling for the ouster of Mubarak, who called out the army and declared a 6pm to 7am curfew in Cairo, Alexandria and Suez be extended nationwide, as tens of thousands of protesters rampaged through the streets.

With street battles raging, key allies the US, Britain and Germany expressed concern about the violence, with Britain noting the protesters had "legitimate grievances".

Mubarak "has asked the armed forces, in cooperation with the police, to implement the decision, and maintain security and secure public establishments and private property," state television said yesterday.

Two hours after the curfew went into effect, people were still on the streets of Cairo and Alexandria, with protesters urging the army to join them.

Rest of the story here...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225996533476

PS - "PRESIDENT Hosni Mubarak has ordered Egypt's government to resign and vowed to bring in democratic reforms," Yeah Right, you've been in Power for 30 years Overseeing this Corruption and I've got a Bridge in Sydney I want to sell you!!!
    Last edited by jackovesk; 30th January 2011 at 04:02.

31. Link to Post #19
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Egypt news, January 29 2011

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?...4&jumival=6173

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?...4&jumival=6173

Let me check these first, they should not be to of the same links.
    But the pictures in one is just incredible, the protestors are actually surrounding the police almost like the directing them

32. Link to Post #20
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Egypt news, January 29 2011

33. The Following User Says Thank You to TheCougarandEagle For This Post:

happyexpat (29th January 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast