+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast

Thread: Mubarak to Step Down

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Mubarak to Step Down

Egypt's President H. Mubarak is rumored to be stepping down and VP to take over for remainder of term. Looks like the horse and pony show is on. This is all for show, nothing will change as the internal machine is still intact.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41506482...ica/?gt1=43001
    Layers upon Layers...when will people wake up and stop playing their game?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shairia For This Post:

Alliamber (10th February 2011), moais (10th February 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,417 times in 326 posts

Default Re: Mubarak to Step Down

Live News Feed in English from Egypt by Al Jazeera

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/
    Blessings,
    Yiola

4. The Following User Says Thank You to yiolas For This Post:

jackovesk (11th February 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Netherlands Deactivated
    Thanks

Default One eye on Egypt, One on avalon...

Hey

just watching the BBC coverage of Cairo right now - incredible scenes. Mubarak just about to make an address soon.

What do people think? Are you following. The sight of all those people camped out is really moving to me.

What do we think? Do you think he'll resign? What do we think will happen next?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bodixa For This Post:

Alliamber (10th February 2011), moais (10th February 2011), stomy (10th February 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Default Re: One eye on Egypt, One on avalon...

Yes I am watching, why?...because my sons are part of the protest.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shairia For This Post:

Alliamber (10th February 2011), bodixa (10th February 2011), firstlook (10th February 2011), heretogrow (10th February 2011), modwiz (10th February 2011), nearing (11th February 2011), unplugged (10th February 2011), witchy1 (10th February 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Shairia (here)
    your sons have what we would say in my language "Cojones!" but they have to be careful. Just because he is stepping down, doest mean that the new person stepping in, is in it for a good deed.
    ~From Mexico With Love~

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrstian_indianapolis For This Post:

Alliamber (10th February 2011), Shairia (11th February 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    Netherlands Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Shairia (here)
    What are the hopes of the people out there? How do they imagine the future government might look like?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bodixa For This Post:

Alliamber (10th February 2011)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

They are careful but life was getting so impossible that the youth had no choice but to protest. People that are fed up and doing something about it at great risk to themselves (they know what the government is capable of with arrests and torture) do not want the old guard ruling at all (muslim brotherhood, secular rule, another puppet). They want a say in how the country is run and opportunities for everyone.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shairia For This Post:

Alliamber (10th February 2011), bodixa (10th February 2011), nearing (11th February 2011)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

I speak with an Egyptian on msn. She says that it has more and more afraid. It starts to have of the dead and wounded. Mubarak will remain in power what is happening. By behind, obama supports the egypt. Israel has fear that the opposition take the power. This last would not make much support in the region.

Blessings for Egyptians

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Alliamber's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope they get the chance to have their government stand for the Egyptian people. I say this as an American who grew up being told that true freedom for everyone was what
    we stood for. I still believe we all can. I hope TPTB see this for what it is. The future.
    Whew.... am I glad you don't expect me to have all the answers, since I've lost my
    last fortune cookie, and my magic eight ball keeps coming up (outlook uncertain.)

17. Link to Post #10
    Netherlands Deactivated
    Thanks

Shairia I hope your sons see something amazing tonight and that the best possible outcome happens for them. Are you Egyptian?

I don't know much about the country. I met an older Egyptian man on a post 9/11 flight San Fran to London - he was a real lovely man. We had 10 hours to chat. He had been at a Jesuit conference in San Francisco and was a Coptic Christian. He said that Christians stood no chance of getting roles high up in government or business in Egypt. I asked him 'why do you think they did 9/11 - he said "because they look at what there is in the West and they are jealous and angry." I've never been able to buy the conspiracy thing re 9/11 because he was so certain that it was possible that it could have been orchestrated by people from the mid east. I'll reserve judgement cos there are so many factors rolling in and out of that whole picture I just painted there.

So I am slightly surprised that Egypt is perceived as a 'secular state' because of what he said - I guess it's relative to what is 'secular' in that region.

It worries me the posturing by other countries...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bodixa For This Post:

Shairia (11th February 2011)

19. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Alliamber's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey Shairia,
    How do your Sons feel about the Talking Heads trying to tell everyone what they want and think?
    I see Mubarak is making everyone wait. No surprise.
    Whew.... am I glad you don't expect me to have all the answers, since I've lost my
    last fortune cookie, and my magic eight ball keeps coming up (outlook uncertain.)

20. Link to Post #12
    Netherlands Deactivated
    Thanks

Here we go!!! He speaks

21. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

I'm American and my sons are dual citizens who chose to return to Egypt because that is where they grew up. I lived there working for the American Embassy for six years and returned to the states with them.

When I lived there prior to the Iraqi takedown, a new movement was under way to return to the conservative roots. It was the young people who began that movement to change the country from a Western culture back to an Islamic nation. What I saw worried me because I knew this was not going to accomplish anything except a crackdown on any movement. That is exactly what took place, the secret police starting arresting individuals and torturing them and deporting some of them. These individuals then started extremist organizations in other countries and resorted to terrorist activities.

People forget that Egypt is a dictatorship because of Mubarak's title of President. It has always been a military regime headed by a dictator. I don't believe that 9/11 was carried out by Islamic extremists, possibly they may have initially devised a plan, but that plan was carried out by someone else. I have my own conclusions on that which don't belong in this thread. Israel has nothing to worry about from the protestors if they eventually come to power, but they are not naive. They know that another organized faction will step in and take control of the country, who that faction is right now is anybody's guess but if they are organized, they are financed and most likely another pawn of TPTB. That is why Israel is worried, the game will change.

At this point the protesters know they have nothing to lose that is what drove their protest in such numbers, regardless of who organized them.

If you watched the footage, secular was not emphasized in this protest, you saw Atheists, Christians and Muslims standing together and protecting each other. Sadly, the Western News agencies put this idea into most people's heads for their own agenda. Just another fear tactic that has worked so well for them in the past.

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Shairia For This Post:

Alliamber (10th February 2011), Ba-ba-Ra (12th February 2011), bodixa (10th February 2011), cayman (10th February 2011), giovonni (11th February 2011), jackovesk (11th February 2011), nearing (11th February 2011), stomy (10th February 2011), witchy1 (10th February 2011), write4change (15th February 2011)

23. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2011-02-10/215421934507.shtml

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_11979332.htm

looks like China will join the game, things will get very complicated.
    Last edited by cayman; 10th February 2011 at 21:28.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cayman For This Post:

write4change (15th February 2011)

25. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,128 times in 997 posts

Just watched the speach, how disappointing for the Egyption people.
    Oh dear a sad day, this man is seriously disordered. He does not have the ability to recognise what he is doing wrong, or what he could do about it. Pathalogically it seems he is a psychopathic megelomaniac, unable to relinquish control. In his own mind he can not possibly be wrong under any circumstances. If this were not true he would step down
    Very sad.
    g
    "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves" C. G. Jung

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gardener For This Post:

shijo (10th February 2011), yiolas (10th February 2011)

27. Link to Post #16
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,947 times in 660 posts

Hello cayman

Would you mind translating the main thrust of this link for me?

Many thanks. JP

28. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,806 times in 315 posts

What just occurred put into simple terms: Mubarak has just heavily kicked an already agitated and very large hornets' nest.

Fate sealing move on his part...
    Last edited by 000; 10th February 2011 at 21:27.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 000 For This Post:

Shairia (11th February 2011)

30. Link to Post #18
    Netherlands Avalon Member Midnight Rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 times in 310 posts

Quote Posted by John Parslow (here)
    Hello cayman

Would you mind translating the main thrust of this link for me?

Many thanks. JP
    Xinhua Abu Dhabi, Feb. 10 (Xinhua An Jiang) is China's official visit to the United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi, 10, and the Egyptian Foreign Minister Gheit on the phone.
    The two sides of the development of bilateral relations since last year, expressed satisfaction that the Sino-Egyptian strategic cooperation has great potential and broad prospects for development.
    Gheit informed by telephone the current situation in Egypt that the Egyptian government is taking various measures to maintain social stability and the restoration of normalcy.
    Yang said China attaches great attention to development of the situation in Egypt. Egypt has an important influence in the Middle East countries, Egypt's stability is also related to the Middle East region.
    Egypt Egypt's affairs should be decided independently, should not be subject to external interference. We believe that Egypt has enough wisdom and ability to overcome present difficulties and achieve national stability and development.
    The same day, Yang also met Abu Dhabi Crown Prince and UAE Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed Sheikh Abdullah.
    Yang and his party arrived at 9, Abu Dhabi, UAE on an official visit.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Midnight Rambler For This Post:

bodixa (10th February 2011), cayman (10th February 2011), stomy (10th February 2011)

32. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,417 times in 326 posts

Quote Posted by Gardener (here)
    Just watched the speech, how disappointing for the Egyptian people.
    Oh dear a sad day, this man is seriously disordered. He does not have the ability to recognize what he is doing wrong, or what he could do about it. Pathalogically it seems he is a psychopathic megelomaniac, unable to relinquish control. In his own mind he can not possibly be wrong under any circumstances. If this were not true he would step down
    Very sad.
    g
    Yes Gardener ii is sad. I'm still watching the live feed now. You can even hear it in the voices of the commentators that they are disappointed. Unfortunately rulers like him don't understand that countries and nations belong to the people and not to them.
    I have a bad feeling about all of this. There was a crescendo of jubilation tonight in freedom square, how disappointing.
    Blessings,
    Yiola

33. The Following User Says Thank You to yiolas For This Post:

Gardener (10th February 2011)

34. Link to Post #20
    Netherlands Avalon Member Midnight Rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 times in 310 posts

I don´t get it. Why make a speech when you have nothing to say. Except handing over his power to his CIA controlled vice president. I hope the protests remain peaceful!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast