+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Singularity, will happen in 2045

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,152 times in 2,815 posts

Default The Singularity, will happen in 2045

In case you missed it, we now know the exact year that man will begin to live forever. The event, called The Singularity, will happen in 2045. Science can now check the box on achieving immortality.Now you might think that I've been reading science fiction and that's where all this talk about The Singularity originates. Or maybe I was waiting in line at grocery checkout, thumbing through the latest tawdry tabloid and, bang, there it was, the date of man's immortality listed right next to a story about President Obama hiding aliens in the White House check out the link

http://www.newspressnow.com/opinion/...86/detail.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near

We have all heard so many things about the Singularity

What do you think about it my Avalon friends

The Merger of Human Technology with Human Intelligence
    Last edited by The One; 14th February 2011 at 10:15.

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,613 times in 2,179 posts

Default Re: The Singularity, will happen in 2045

My wife says if such things are indeed possible, she wants her brain transplanted into a a robot that's tall and thin with red hair and sexy green eyes. I tell her that's funny because I want that for her, too

Well, at least The Singularity now rules out 2012!

thank you for brightening my day!
    .... be gentle with your anger. Sixto Rodriguez, Cape Town 20.02.2013

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViralSpiral For This Post:

John Parslow (16th February 2011), write4change (14th February 2011)

4. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Um. In light of supercomputers, you know like the ones Aubrey interfaces with, doesn't this seem a little redundant? And I'd like to know if 2058 is anything important... I'm not a computer expert but I remember that computers were created based on 8, some kind of 8x8 thing? (jeez you think I'd have read up on it by now, wouldn't you?!). And their limit is the 8th dimension as I have figured out myself as well.

There is a magic 8x8 square interpretation of a massive number which begins in '2058' as one of its interpretations. I have just looked it up on the internet and can't find reference to it; but I know it is not the 2056 solution I am referring to in the simple addition of the lines, it was specifically 2058.

5. Link to Post #4
    Brazil Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I can see the good side, but human in itself is not a machine, so technology will never makes us imortals

6. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

I would be very wary about integrating our minds with machines.
    I still don't think we've experienced all that the natural human mind can achieve, and I'd like to see where that would progress. Then again maybe a merger of mind and technology is a natural progression?
    It's hard to know whether this would benefit us or not, considering how little we know about the human mine at present. But by 2045, who knows what will have occurred.
    Namaste.

7. Link to Post #6
    Australia Avalon Member str8thinker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 times in 530 posts

@The One: It would have been easier to understand this had you made it clear right at the start that the first paragraph was actually a QUOTE from the linked article, and not your own words.
    Beware the bearers of FALSE gifts & their BROKEN PROMISES. Much PAIN but still time. BELIEVE. There is GOOD out there. We OPpose DECEPTION. COnduit CLOSING.
    - Crabwood crop circle, 2002.

8. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by VLCERS (here)
    I would be very wary about integrating our minds with machines.
    I still don't think we've experienced all that the natural human mind can achieve, and I'd like to see where that would progress. Then again maybe a merger of mind and technology is a natural progression?
    It's hard to know whether this would benefit us or not, considering how little we know about the human mine at present. But by 2045, who knows what will have occurred.
    Namaste.
    And thinking about it, would we ever want to be immortal? Isn't part of this adventure we're having here to experience the process of dying?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VLCERS For This Post:

shijo (18th February 2011)

10. Link to Post #8
    Australia Avalon Member Blake Elder's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote And thinking about it, would we ever want to be immortal? Isn't part of this adventure we're having here to experience the process of dying?
    Perhaps yes, but it would be nice, I think, to have a little more control about when we die lol. I, myself, am curious about the acceleration that is occurring in machine intelligence. Also they are finally making some good progress in reverse engineering the human brain so perhaps they will figure out how to hook it together. Then perhaps we can get the benefits of the processing speed and power of advanced computers, and combine that with the consciousness that we possess, that is interacting with our brains, bodies and the zero point energy field (at least as some writers have expressed it).

I just hope the world can remain intact long enough to allow us to gain these advances.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blake Elder For This Post:

VLCERS (14th February 2011)

12. Link to Post #9
    UK Avalon Member Open your eyes's Avatar
    Thanks

Am i wrong to believe that we are already immortal beings? If it is the case what do you belueve happens when we pass away??

Thanks.alex

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Open your eyes For This Post:

3optic (15th February 2011), Lancelot (14th February 2011), shijo (18th February 2011)

14. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sassani (here)
    Quote And thinking about it, would we ever want to be immortal? Isn't part of this adventure we're having here to experience the process of dying?
    Perhaps yes, but it would be nice, I think, to have a little more control about when we die lol. I, myself, am curious about the acceleration that is occurring in machine intelligence. Also they are finally making some good progress in reverse engineering the human brain so perhaps they will figure out how to hook it together. Then perhaps we can get the benefits of the processing speed and power of advanced computers, and combine that with the consciousness that we possess, that is interacting with our brains, bodies and the zero point energy field (at least as some writers have expressed it).

I just hope the world can remain intact long enough to allow us to gain these advances.
    Yes, I can agree with that. It would be very interesting, and worth experiencing.
    Haha! Yes, here's hoping.

15. Link to Post #11
    Australia Avalon Member TWINNICK's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Open your eyes (here)
    Am i wrong to believe that we are already immortal beings? If it is the case what do you belueve happens when we pass away??

Thanks.alex
    G'day,

Yes I believe we are and have all been around for a very long time, its just this human experience we sighned up for this trip that I think we are to experience all that has to offer and then we leave the old (car) behind and go home or off to another adventure.

We are eternal beings of the SOURCE.

..Nick..

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TWINNICK For This Post:

Open your eyes (14th February 2011), shijo (18th February 2011), VLCERS (14th February 2011)

17. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Thanks.alex
    Not at all, I think what we're talking about here is prolonging our physical existence. The spirit, our true self, is infinite. My personal belief is that; we die physically, return to a kind of spirit waiting room where we reflect on what we've just experienced, when we're done there we can return to earth as whoever/whatever/wherever we choose, or we can choose to incarnate in any other kind of existence we please in order to have another experience and lean more about our self.
    I'm sure it's a lot more complex than my simplified idea.
    Namaste.

18. Link to Post #13
    South Africa Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Isostool (here)
    Um. In light of supercomputers, you know like the ones Aubrey interfaces with, doesn't this seem a little redundant? And I'd like to know if 2058 is anything important... I'm not a computer expert but I remember that computers were created based on 8, some kind of 8x8 thing? (jeez you think I'd have read up on it by now, wouldn't you?!). And their limit is the 8th dimension as I have figured out myself as well.

There is a magic 8x8 square interpretation of a massive number which begins in '2058' as one of its interpretations. I have just looked it up on the internet and can't find reference to it; but I know it is not the 2056 solution I am referring to in the simple addition of the lines, it was specifically 2058.
    not sure about the other stuff, but as far as computers go, they fundamentally use base 2 (aka binary) and 8 "binary digits" (bits) make up a byte which is used as a minimum amount storage space because one byte has enough permutations to represent all the characters used in computing.

hope that helps

19. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 times in 518 posts

You are inmortal already. You just change the body and the clima from time to time. We have limited lifespan because we are bombarded with a lot of external toxines and even more internal ones (negative tought). Enlarging a life span is a metter of the spiritual and technological development, more advanced civilizations live longer because they are more aware of their connection with a Universe and because they have also tecnology which renew the cells and eliminate toxical waist from the body.
    So we are talking of a process here, step by step going to enhance the mind and the body. And when we talk about some special date, then I just can't belive it. Masmediacrap would be my first thinking.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to vibrations For This Post:

Kra (14th February 2011)

21. Link to Post #15
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 times in 479 posts

I'm not worried at all by these AI.

We can reproduce intelligence and probably one day, make machines being able to compute much more than the whole humanity together.

But we will never be able to create Life itself. We can manipulate it, reproduce it, alter it, but will never be able to create it. My bet is that there is no advance race that can do it either. Because the sparks of Life is not possible to be created by another creature.

These super computer/robot will not feel, will not love, will not care, will not suffer, will not imagine, nor will have desire. Despite all the intelligence in the world, they will never reach consciousness, because we can not create consciousness.

I think there is, again, a large part of fantasizing around this possibility. I'm much more concern about the robotic psychopaths at the rudder of the world. Let me bet; in 2035, we will have super robots but still driving cars with explosion engine

Nah, I'm kidding. There is a lot of things that will change in humanity before 2035.

Namaste, Steven

22. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

So computers are getting faster and smarter and this means that eventually they will be smarter than us and after that we will cease to exist?

You asked for an opinion- mine is this is absolute Bo***cks. Sorry!

I do look forward to the day when computers can CREATE beautiful music and art, appreciate and love each other and tell jokes though. lol

23. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 times in 390 posts

Thanks.alex
    Thanks, Alex!

Quote I do look forward to the day when computers can CREATE beautiful music and art, appreciate and love each other and tell jokes though. lol
    Computer 1: 101
    [...]
    [...]
    Computer 2: 0!
    Computer 1: Gotcha!

Fred

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Fredkc For This Post:

25. Link to Post #18
    UK Avalon Member Open your eyes's Avatar
    Thanks

@ twinnick and vlcers thankyou for your points, you have helped me understand a bit more clearly now.

When we pass on from this physical realm do you think that maybe our memory as what we know it is cleared, kind of restarted or refreshed?
    Last edited by Open your eyes; 14th February 2011 at 21:30.

26. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

@ twinnick and vlcers thankyou for your points, you have helped me understand a bit more clearly now.

When we pass on from this physical realm do you think that maybe our memory as what we know it is cleared, kind of restarted or refreshed? I ask these questions because when my nan passed away several years ago after her death my sister told me that she would come visit her on random occasions and talk to her. So do you think maybe our spirits/soul can pass between realms?
    Happy to help you friend.
    Have you heard of the 'veil of forgetfulness'? It's said that while in the spirit realm we remember everything, our past lives, our future lives, everything we have ever experienced. But when we pass back into physical existence back on earth we force ourselves to forget all of it. That way we can try learn a little about ourselves without any outside influence.
    And I think it's entirely possible that our spirits can visit the physical world without incarnating in flesh and blood form... some people might call them ghosts. Hope this helps.
    Namaste

27. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member johnf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,363 times in 1,115 posts

This date seems to be all based on Kurzweils ideas which seem to put technology over beings. He predicted that in 2030 we will be able to have nanobots waiting in an inactive state in our synapses that will be activated by virtual reality websites to put us into a preprogammed virtual reality that is designed by someone else.
    The ideas that that future line are based one are being changed by a spiritual singularity that will change the entire basis of how we use and think about technology, our purposes in life etc. If the spiritual singularity doesn't precede further breakthroughs in nano tech and genetic manipulation I don't see civilization surviving it's own nature.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast