+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 6 LastLast

Thread: An experience that changed my life

1. Link to Post #21
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Re: An experience that changed my life

Hello Bill,

All 3 stories really hit home and I can see that we are given gifts each and every day we are alive........we just need to feel and see what the gift is.
    I think for many of us, you are this gift, you are the reminder of what is important in our lives so thank you for being a combination of compassion, the butterfly, and the place the party is at!!

Big Hugs to you,

Rainbow

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rainbow44 For This Post:

Fructedor (15th February 2011), Indigo Expressions (15th February 2011), write4change (14th February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 times in 419 posts

Makes me think about how there are many who are so frustrated that God isn't taking care of all the problems...the starving, the infirm, those in deep emotional pain, but think for one moment-

If these difficult and painful people/events were not physically manifested, how would we learn how to LOVE??

The contrast must be allowed, or we ever remain all about Self.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slvrfx For This Post:

JohnBlues (14th February 2011), Scout (14th February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

5. Link to Post #23
    Sweden Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,114 times in 1,725 posts

Thank you Bill, Richard and Charles. I/We all need confirmations now and then to wots already is in our hearts.

So easy to forget.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jorr lundstrom For This Post:

Fructedor (15th February 2011), jozam (14th February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

Thank you for sharing your experience Bill, I have also seen the same senario in India and my time spent in Bosnia,
    Rich man, needle and camels came to mind while reading your story.
    The beatles said it all.

ALL WE NEED IS LOVE.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Enquiring1 (14th August 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

9. Link to Post #25
    UK Avalon Member Open your eyes's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks bill, ive had a slightly negative day today but after reading that story i now feel back on track ( cant stop smiling lol)
    Last edited by Open your eyes; 14th February 2011 at 21:32.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Open your eyes For This Post:

Yoda (15th February 2011)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

How good of you, Bill, to open such thread.

Last night went I went to bed a story from many years ago appeared in my mind and I’ll try to share it now. It is very special to me for some reason…
    We were in our thirties then and hungry for adventure so we went on a “no direction” journey to explore all those places in our country where nobody ever goes. We saw all sort of things we never imagined existed so close to us - like travelling gypsies, hundreds of hermit’s caves, dolmens bursting irresistible sexual energy, shay Muslim women harvesting wild raspberries deep in the forest, unfinished bridge hanging 30 meters above a river like a frozen intention and a lot of beauty, everywhere. Finally we reached the south-eastern corner of the country, a mountainous region with a few villages. They were mentioned in the ethnographic books as former silk producing regions with very specific architecture. So we went to visit. The village seemed abandoned in the middle of a hot summer day, there were only dogs barking on the streets. The church was almost destroyed, the roof falling apart, all icons and sacred objects were still there, untouched. It looked like people had abandoned this place so definitely that even the thieves did not come back. We walked into and around the church silently. We felt very wise and “knowing” at that time, we had listened to Drunvalo’s seminars, we had done Castanedas magical passes and all sort of things from the “local esoteric market”. From the height of our spirituality we judged the state, the people, the system for neglecting the religious and moral values…
    On the way out we spotted an old man sitting on a wooden bench in front of his house. We greeted him and started conversation. It turned out he was the only permanently living person in the village, some other people were coming occasionally to tend to their land. He was living alone, in the whole village. He had lost all his family including his only son many years ago. Now his grandson was the only relative able to come sometimes and bring him some food and other necessities. The old man had sheep, chicken, garden, so he did not need much. He said he’s been waiting there for many years for God to take his soul. We felt the need to help him and we took whatever food we had left in the car but he rejected it. We insisted that he takes at least the dry meats, considered specialities in my country. But then he smiled and said:
    Children, you are so nice but I can not accept that, because now it’s the summer fast. It’s the God’s Mother Fast…
    …Off course we didn’t know that…
    I hardly managed to get to the car before I burst in tears – ashamed, humble and grateful…
    All was perfect there.
    No church was needed.
    God had found asylum in the old man’s heart.
    My heart is as open as the sky ...(Kama Sutra, A Tale of Love)

12. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to galilava For This Post:

Alexandrian (15th February 2011), Anna (22nd September 2011), Avocadess (14th September 2011), Brodie75 (14th February 2011), CdnSirian (23rd October 2011), Chuck (16th February 2011), Elly (16th February 2011), Enquiring1 (14th August 2011), fifi (14th February 2011), Fructedor (15th February 2011), giovonni (14th February 2011), heretogrow (14th February 2011), Hummingbird (15th February 2011), Icare (25th December 2021), Iloveyou (8th January 2015), Indigo Expressions (15th February 2011), jorr lundstrom (14th February 2011), Kyra (14th February 2011), Limor Wolf (14th February 2011), Lord Sidious (14th February 2011), modwiz (15th February 2011), Pani (14th February 2011), perfectresonance (14th February 2011), Rainbow44 (14th February 2011), sandy (15th February 2011), Sebastion (17th February 2011), Smith (16th February 2011), Sunshine (16th February 2011), TigerLilly (15th February 2011), Tom Sawyer (21st February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

13. Link to Post #27
    Sweden Avalon Member Maria Stade's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,626 times in 854 posts

Thank you !

The greatest teachers are the souls we meet to grow !

Nick is with no dought one of the greatest souls of this planet.

So can you hear the message !

Bill you did realy get the message from this soul ! So beautyful that you share this storry with us !

Thank you !

All Love

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maria Stade For This Post:

Anna (22nd September 2011), Chicodoodoo (15th February 2011), sandy (15th February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

15. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Member DianeKJ's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow Bill and everyone else who shared, a very heartfelt thank you. Sharing a piece of your heart and soul, what a wonderful gift.

What a perfect gift for the day that my kids and I have dubbed "Love Day"

I have recieved many lessons of love and giving. Some of my more important ones where from complete strangers and I treasure those deeply.

Today, thanks to the many stories I will ponder some of those events and send out extra LOVE.

Thank you for this gift .

Namaste,
    Di

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DianeKJ For This Post:

Fructedor (15th February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,204 times in 4,590 posts

Hmm...yeah Thank you Bill, I know what you mean ..

I always thought it's 'faith' , unbroken stream of knowledge and love in the heart of man , to keep him happy, is or it the faith of his mothers and brothers and sisters, the whole society pattern that makes impossible possible .

Every time I came to India which I feel is my homeland in conventional earthy sense than here, I saw thousands of these people, poorest of the poor,
    so thin with heavy loads of work on their backs and heads everyday, smiling .
    The beggers sitting at the side of the road, all the roads ..on torren blankets , fold 'clean and tight' every morning , beaming with smiles,
    starting the day with prayers.
    It was a tough and never ending lesson for me since the day one but I felt love from them and they felt love in me.
    Eyes met the eyes and they saw when one is sad the day or more ill than usually.

I always wondered it'd be impossible here to allow someone like that , sit on the street .

People without limbs, lepers, wounded, disabled, starved. Yet, they seem to know the secret ..
    when you're begging you have to smile If you smile and show light and love to the world, people are attracted to you, they're not afraid, they tend to share.

Some of these 'beggers supposedly make more money in one day than if they had a job.

Dharamsala specifically, as an abode of H.H. Dalailama is regarded as 'Switzerland of India' ( hope that makes you smile ) and has its own community of various disabled beggers. There are many tourists with compassionate intents willing to do an offering to their conscience I believe , coming to Dharamsala ..
    so these beggers are never really in bad stand. But even if they earn thousand rupees a day ( that's a lot ..) they will share these money with others in the community and won't ever start to live like normal people. There are some borders to it , difficult to cross unless someone takes care .

I remember one winter I was very short of money but never mind I knew it's going to repair ,
    I walked down to the temple everyday and there was snow , food was scarce and schedule was tight.

I used to talk to some of these people and hear their life stories , wash their cups and bring them tea ( till I got fed up or too emotional about their state and it made me run away ).

I walked back home that night when one of them, sitting at the corner waved hand at me , he could not talk, had some serious impairment , like someone after stroke.
    Hesitant as I wanted to be back home quickly I came near and he handled me bunch of notes ( someone was probably really nice to him that day ) and with the type of grandfather gesture : get some food ..sent me away.

I was touched deeply, and ashamed . I used to give children on the street some coins everyday even if I had little. But I knew he means well and ...

what really touched me and the reason why I accepted the 'donation' was ..that someone in such impoverished health and material state can feel for strange little girl who seems to have no worries.

It's very many years back now and I can only assure you...that there are many others in their place ..

God help us all

18. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Anna (22nd September 2011), Avocadess (14th September 2011), Chuck (16th February 2011), conk (14th February 2011), fifi (14th February 2011), Fructedor (15th February 2011), Icare (25th December 2021), Indigo Expressions (15th February 2011), Kyra (14th February 2011), modwiz (15th February 2011), perfectresonance (14th February 2011), sandy (15th February 2011), Sebastion (17th February 2011), SHAPE (15th February 2011), Tom Sawyer (21st February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

19. Link to Post #30
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 times in 516 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    --------

Dear All:

Richard has already shared a moving personal story about the Butterfly Lady. I do recommend that you read it.

Charles has also shared a profound experience that changed him. Please also read this.

I'd like to join Richard and Charles by telling a story of my own. It's a simple story which I've never shared except with my closest friends.

In 1989 I was in Nairobi for a couple of weeks. I was staying in a small guest house a couple of miles from the city center.

Every day I walked down the long road to the post office and market, and walked back. And every day I passed a beggar who was sitting on a dirty blanket at a street corner.

This man's arms and legs were shriveled. He could not walk. He wore a loincloth. He sat on the ground, and crawled around on his blanket. He had nothing at all.

But each time I passed by - twice a day for 14 days - he was surrounded by people. They were laughing, joking, having fun. The little beggar-man was always happy. His face was permanently wreathed in smiles. This was where the party was at, all the time, every day.

He was the man. I never once saw him other than enjoying life to the full. His friends - many of them - clearly loved him dearly.

This experience changed me profoundly. Every day I wondered at this man and his friends. One of my greatest regrets is that I never approached him to say hello.

Ten years later, I returned to Nairobi. I tried hard to find him. I wanted to give him something to thank him for his great contribution to my life. I could not. I assume he had died.

I can never tell this story on stage or in an interview: I would not be able to keep it together. That little man, bless his eternal soul, taught me that one does not have not have things to be happy: one only has to create one's own joy with the people one loves. In the context of this, little else matters.
    Very Enlightening Bill.

Namaste

20. The Following User Says Thank You to firstlook For This Post:

21. Link to Post #31
    Retired
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,050 times in 3,027 posts

wow! so many stories of compassion and life moments...its perfect.i can see today is a day of strong emotions for me.thank you!

if i may....here is another small lesson on tolerance,compassion,and seeing the other person as part of yourself -

THE SPARROW

Limor

22. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Limor Wolf For This Post:

Anna (22nd September 2011), bashi (14th February 2011), Fructedor (15th February 2011), galilava (14th February 2011), Lord Sidious (14th February 2011), modwiz (15th February 2011), sandy (18th February 2011), Sebastion (17th February 2011), Smith (16th February 2011), StephenW11UK (27th June 2011), TigerLilly (15th February 2011)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

you can see the whole world through a rain drop; a little leaf is where there is the God

Bill, thank you for your story

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cayman For This Post:

magicmanx (14th February 2011), write4change (14th February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

25. Link to Post #33
    Australia Avalon Member Brodie75's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you Bill

About 9 yrs ago i injured my back at work and it changed my life. I had always been a very physical person, keeping fit through rugby, weights and hard work and so after the injury which was permanent i became very depressed. After 3yrs on strong pain meds and inactivity i attempted suicide. I swallowed about 80 oxycontin pills one night at home all alone and 10mins later my sister knocked on my door. After letting her in i broke down crying and told her that i needed to get to a hospital. I spent 7 days there recovering and thinking about my life.
    6months later i received a small wokers compensation check for my back injury, sold all my possetions and bought a ticket to Kenya. I spent 4months living in an orphanage helping to build a goat dairy, chicken farm and an extension to the orphanage. There was no running water, no power and no shops for 40 miles. All the children living there from 2month old babies to 16yr olds taught me how to live. Their happiness and mine was derived from each other and not the place we lived or the things we owned and i'll never forget them

26. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Brodie75 For This Post:

Anna (22nd September 2011), Avocadess (14th September 2011), blackatiam (15th February 2011), CdnSirian (23rd October 2011), Chuck (16th February 2011), clovis dardentor (15th February 2011), dan i el (26th February 2011), Enquiring1 (14th August 2011), Erin (15th February 2011), fifi (14th February 2011), Fructedor (14th February 2011), galilava (14th February 2011), Icare (25th December 2021), Isthatso (15th February 2011), jjl (20th February 2011), Joe Sustaire (5th January 2015), modwiz (15th February 2011), perfectresonance (14th February 2011), sandy (15th February 2011), Sensual One (14th February 2011), Smith (16th February 2011), Sowelu (16th February 2011), StephenW11UK (27th June 2011), TigerLilly (15th February 2011), Tom Sawyer (21st February 2011), witchy1 (14th February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

27. Link to Post #34
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Great stories all. Thank you for sharing. If I may offer one of my own...

I was walking up to the check out area at a big box store. There were two open lanes. I looked around at the cashiers and made my decision solely by their looks. One was a larger lady, with unkempt hair. By shallow standards an unattractive lady. The other was a young attractive girl. I chose the attractive girl, somehow thinking the other lady looked like she would make a mistake. As I walked up closer someone took the spot in the young girls line. I moved over to the lady with the bad hair. To my surprise she greeted me with the most beautiful voice. Her enunciation and elocution were near perfect. She was witty and engaging. I left her line laughing. Wow, I almost missed a special moment. A moment that taught me FINALLY not to judge others. That moment has served to guide me ever since. I began to look at other people in a much different way. I'm quite sure others picked up on my new found energy. My heart's pilot wave was now sending out loving, accepting signals. I now find that I get more smiles and hellos than ever before. For this experience I am most grateful! - insert heart smilie -

28. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Avocadess (14th September 2011), Bluebird (14th February 2011), Brodie75 (14th February 2011), Chuck (16th February 2011), Fructedor (14th February 2011), galilava (14th February 2011), Icare (25th December 2021), jjl (20th February 2011), jozam (14th February 2011), Lord Sidious (14th February 2011), Rainbow44 (14th February 2011), sandy (15th February 2011), StephenW11UK (27th June 2011), Tom Sawyer (21st February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

29. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

thanks for sharing, when we start caring for each other with an honest heart, the world will change.... I believe... P E A C E...

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

conk (15th February 2011), jozam (14th February 2011), sandy (15th February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

31. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

since i was a kid i can remember seeing nurse's or say family members who have care for someone who needs help and were mean to them or disgusted in helping them and it always made me feel bad for that person even when someone is picking on someone who less forunate i cant stand to see i always like to help the underdog.
    Chris....... Free your mind

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slipknotted For This Post:

Avocadess (14th September 2011), CdnSirian (23rd October 2011), jjl (20th February 2011), sandy (15th February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

33. Link to Post #37
    Germany Avalon Member Spirithorse's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 times in 276 posts

Thank you Bill for bringing the heart back

That was very much needed (for me anyway), I had a tough time reading, recently.

Avalon seems to be like a microcosm in a macrocosm.... we want to build the blueprint for a new civilization but currently still are part of the old one... but on our way out.

A big, big Thank you, all of you, for sharing your stories and opening our hearts.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spirithorse For This Post:

Enquiring1 (14th August 2011), Fructedor (15th February 2011), sandy (18th February 2011), Sunshine (16th February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

Thanks for sharing this with us, Bill.
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

36. The Following User Says Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

37. Link to Post #39
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,327 times in 653 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    That little man, bless his eternal soul, taught me that one does not have not have things to be happy
    These are the joys of life that sociopaths cannot experience. I have such a story, too.

==========

Although it seemed unlikely, Audrey was my friend. You see, Audrey was practically quadriplegic, old, gray, swollen, bent, and beaten down from the ravages of her own immune system that was slowly dismantling her nervous system. Audrey was living with MS - Multiple Sclerosis. She had a little movement remaining in her left hand (the only limb she could move) and could control the joystick of her wheelchair and thus cruise the halls of her nursing home. Her mind was still sharp, and she became the voice for many of the other residents who were not as fortunate as she.

Imagine not being as fortunate as Audrey.

Audrey rarely complained despite the pain she endured, and it was her humor and smile that was most visible. She was fond of pointing out the certificate on her wall that read, "Good for one free visit" and signed by Jack Kevorkian (the doctor known for helping the terminally ill commit suicide).

During one of our many enjoyable conversations, she suddenly changed the subject and asked, "You know what I miss the most, being in this condition?" My mind whirled at all the possible answers - could it be loss of independence and mobility, using a bathroom rather than submitting to the humiliation of having someone change your diaper, being able to taste your food, sex, scratching an itch? "What?" I finally asked, being unable to prioritize any of the possibilities. "Being able to take a deep breath," she replied. I was floored - the simplest thing, that anyone can do, and that everyone does without a second thought - this was what she missed the most. My eyes were opened in that instant, and I saw how lucky I was, how lucky we all are, to be alive, to actually command our chest muscles to move and fill our lungs with life-sustaining air. How much we all take for granted!

Later that night, as I lay in bed thinking of what she had said, I took that deliberate deep breath, relished it, felt it charge my whole being, and I vowed never to forget the lesson, the gift I had been given. Audrey died from MS, and I lost my friend, but many a night when my head hits the pillow, I take a deliberate deep breath, embrace that subtle pleasure of living, and say a quiet "Thank you, Audrey" for teaching me how little I need to be happy.

Audrey:

38. The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Chicodoodoo For This Post:

Anna (22nd September 2011), Avocadess (14th September 2011), Brodie75 (14th February 2011), CdnSirian (23rd October 2011), Chuck (16th February 2011), Come As You Are (16th February 2011), conk (15th February 2011), Cottage Rose (14th February 2011), dan i el (26th February 2011), Enquiring1 (14th August 2011), fifi (14th February 2011), Fructedor (15th February 2011), galilava (14th February 2011), Icare (25th December 2021), Indigo Expressions (15th February 2011), Isthatso (15th February 2011), Joe Sustaire (5th January 2015), kinerkid (15th February 2011), Limor Wolf (6th March 2011), modwiz (15th February 2011), oddly (15th February 2011), Ruby L. (26th February 2011), sandy (15th February 2011), Sebastion (17th February 2011), Smith (16th February 2011), Sowelu (16th February 2011), Tom Sawyer (21st February 2011), Twinsel (5th June 2011), witchy1 (14th February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

39. Link to Post #40
    United States Avalon Member Cottage Rose's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,454 times in 617 posts

Quote Posted by Chicodoodoo (here)
    These are the joys of life that sociopaths cannot experience. I have such a story, too.
    Greetings Chicodoodoo:

Thank you for your eloquent story and photo. I was moved to experience the beautiful energy of your friend Audrey's spirit. It is a joy to hear that souls such as this are amongst us.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cottage Rose For This Post:

Chicodoodoo (14th February 2011), Come As You Are (16th February 2011), modwiz (15th February 2011), sandy (15th February 2011), Yoda (15th February 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 6 LastLast