+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6

Thread: An experience that changed my life

1. Link to Post #101
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 times in 264 posts

Default Re: An experience that changed my life

You are a beautiful person :-) Thank you for your post!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shamanseeker For This Post:

Healthy Skeptic (10th September 2011), Lord Sidious (10th September 2011), Marsila (10th September 2011), seko (10th September 2011)

3. Link to Post #102
    Thanks

I love cats and have a very close relationship with them. A friend of mine takes in stray cats looks after them and loves them very much but is terrified of death and is desperate to keep them alive. She had a very loving cat who was really sick and was on a lot of medication for months and months. I could tell she was tired and exhausted and not just physically. When my friend wasn't in the room one day something moved me to tell the cat that if she wanted to move on over to the other side she could. She listened to me intently. The next morning when I was in that half awake state in bed, I saw the cat and she was playing happily, skipping around. She had the appearance of a young cat. This 'vision' stayed with me after I woke up. When I went to visit my friend, needless to say the cat had passed over that night!

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to shamanseeker For This Post:

bridgetlilstar (14th January 2012), Healthy Skeptic (10th September 2011), Icare (26th December 2021), Jake (10th September 2011), kirolak (5th January 2015), Lord Sidious (10th September 2011), Marsila (10th September 2011), seko (10th September 2011)

5. Link to Post #103
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

One winter day about 3 years ago I had a wonderful reminder of what happens when I walk on the earth with gratitude. I felt so cold as I watched the raindrops sliding down the glass pane of my window and looked out to the lead gray clouds covering the valley. A longing for warm Mushroom soup began to form in my mind. Unfortunately I had given away all my dried mushrooms as a gift to my sister.

Later in the afternoon as the rain subsided to a misty sprinkle I found myself suddenly longing for a hike in the woods. I decided to go on a drive to the unspoiled oak woodlands for my walk. Thoughts of mushrooms had fled from my mind... I was enjoying the rich sensuous moisture that was everywhere. As I entered the woods I stopped to honor the ancient trees with a prayer of thanksgiving. I literally put my hands together in prayer and thanked the mossy trees for being there, I also asked them to heal and sooth my body as I walked in the woods. As soon as the prayer was sent, it was answered with a return energy and love that made gooseflesh rise on my arms and chest.

About 2 miles into the walk I suddenly noticed oyster mushrooms growing on a tree trunk beside the trail. Instantly I knew I had been guided to this particular trail as an answer to my longing for mushroom soup. I asked if I could pick them and waited for an energetic answer. (This is the way all of us used to be in the world... one with everything and always operating under the Law of One, or the highest and best good for all concerned). Well, to my surprise the answer was a very resounding ‘NO’.

I found myself in a dialog with a being who I could not see but certainly could be aware of. ‘He’ said he was connected to the portal (see the blog photo) and was the gardener for the mushrooms. His viewpoint was that people were ‘always taking - never giving’.... and he was angry at me for desiring his mushrooms.

I thought how we humans must look to some of the others who live beside us on the planet and I realized we had become ‘takers’ without giving in return. Then I remembered I was carrying a small shiny white pebble I had picked up some years ago at the beach and I asked if he would accept it as an offering of gratitude for his beautiful work as the mushroom gardener.

His attitude changed utterly, and his energy soared to joy and delight. After I carefully tucked the white pebble into the moss on the tree bark, I was suddenly showered with intense energy which I experienced as a sort of 'quickening' light. He had showered me and the mushrooms with healing energy as a gift. He invited me to take what I needed and I picked about half of them, stuffing my rain jacket pockets.

As I walked away, he began to broadcast to all the surrounding woods ‘Here comes one walking in the old way, honor her’. We had exchanged the gift of utter gratitude for each other’s being. I continued down the trail with tears of joy streaming down my face as I began to comprehend the difference this gift had made to the forest energy.

I got home just before dinner and the soup I made was fantastic. The mushrooms were healing and filled with the life of the woods and the blessing of the light the devic spirit had given them.

Later I received this quite from SnowLionPublications.com and although I am not Buddhist I knew it was speaking about what I had experienced.

Dharma Quote of the Week
    ...according to such authors as the second buddha, Rangjung Dorje, and the realized master, Kacho Wongpo...
    You should accompany pilgrimage with three qualities of your bearing: physical, verbal, and mental restraint, as instructed in the Buddha's teachings on discipline; the development of the mind of awakening, as instructed in the teachings on the transcendent perfections; and the pure tantric commitments, as instructed in the teachings of Secret Mantra. Purify the obscuring effects of past negative physical acts by giving up such things as riding horses or wearing hats. Purify the obscuring effects of negative verbal acts by reciting prayers and singing praises. Purify the obscuring effects of negative mental acts by maintaining devotion, respect, and pure vision. In summation, while on pilgrimage give up all activity detrimental to spiritual life and be consistently attentive, mindful, and faithful.
    On pilgrimage, renounce playful jokes and jests, raucous laughter, and idle conversation. Leave far behind any worldly concern, such as for food, drink, and fashion. In particular, scrupulously avoid such acts as intoxication, arguments, and loud shouting.
    ...Don't place imaginary limits on the miraculous manifestations of spiritual heroes and dakinis in this place: regard everything you see, good or bad--human beings, animals, birds, mice, deer, or carnivorous animals--with faith and pure vision.
    --from Sacred Ground: Jamgon Kongtrul on "Pilgrimage and Sacred Geography" by Ngawang Zangpo, a Tsadra Foundation Series book, published by Snow Lion Publications

6. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Anchor (30th December 2011), Anna (22nd September 2011), aranuk (10th September 2011), Avocadess (14th September 2011), BestLion (30th December 2011), Constance (6th October 2015), Corncrake (10th September 2011), Deega (4th January 2015), eaglespirit (1st January 2012), Ewan (26th August 2015), Flash (16th March 2015), gripreaper (21st September 2012), Healthy Skeptic (10th September 2011), hohoemi (11th January 2012), Icare (26th December 2021), karelia (16th November 2011), ketturah (10th September 2011), kirolak (5th January 2015), Kraut (8th June 2013), Limor Wolf (16th November 2011), Lisab (15th November 2011), Lord Sidious (10th September 2011), mab777 (16th November 2011), Marianne (15th November 2011), modwiz (30th December 2011), onawah (30th December 2011), RunningDeer (25th September 2013), Selene (30th December 2011), Spirithorse (30th December 2011)

7. Link to Post #104
    United States Avalon Member Eyes2theSkies's Avatar
    Thanks

I know what you mean about not knowing the future being better, Limor. That just sounds like it would be a major trap that could lead one into complacency and despair. I think the best approach is to think each decision in life through very carefully and have faith that you are making the best decision you know how. Which isn't to say a person can't make mistakes but, the point is to learn from the ones that we do make, without dwelling on the mistake itself but, remembering for future reference.

It is my pleasure to finally have such a great place to share my story with people who understand and care. This is not the easiest place to find, as most of us have found out through the years. After all the things I've been through in life it is nice to have a place where I am appreciated, especially in regard to the subjects this forum deals with. Ever since about 4th grade I have read every book, newspaper or magazine article I could find on UFOs and aliens, as well as watched TV shows, movies and art dealing with the subject. Back then, I already knew we weren't alone I simply wasn't aware why I felt this way yet it was a very strong feeling that I felt was very important to me. At the same time I began an equal obsession with reading every book and watch every TV show about marine life. It is interesting that over the years the two of converged to the point where we have reports of everything from aliens who are humanoid aquatic life to a vast inteligence in Earth's whales to dolphin human hybrids and anything in between. This is what is fun about leading a life with an open mind and a love of learning, it can lead is anywhere...including back to where we started.

You might be right, Limor, the ones who are in touch with you probably have a greater sense of your inner fears than you yourself do. Reading Strieber's books, starting with Communion, have helped me confront, deal with and eventually concour my fears and expand my awareness. The entire idea of a horror writer dealing with massive, paralyzing fear was what originally intregued me into reading his work but, as he began putting together his own puzzle from the peices they had left him so I began to see explanations for my previously mentioned knowledge of these others or visitors, for lack of a better term. I have read and reread many of his books and found that each time they prove to be a trigger or catalyst for me, my mind and whatever is going on comes into the light of day, as if sensing what you are reading and engaging you in the exploration. I also found his book "The Key" to be really amazing and helpful so long as you stick to thinking like he does and leaving a bit of room for questioning reality, perception and other factors, yet taking the information seriously and considering its possible validity. Therefore reading this book in such a manner is, in its own way, theraputic and helpful in the growth and enlightenment of ones awareness, spirit and conciousness.

Through all this work I have found that fear is one of the most difficult personal issues to deal with. Never is this more true than when dealing with such seemingly impossible beings as these visitors and their equally incredible technology. That alone is such a huge issue to deal with and work through accepting, we often forget how much we have to learn about ourselves and how much we can do to improve and prepare for whatever may come. Fear is the one true instinct that we carry, fully intact, into modern life and rightfully so, because our sense of fear has helped us to survive for so long and through vastly varying places and environmental conditions. So what is helpful when working on really deep fears which you may not feel are even there, is to put yourself into situations that will draw these out. Try going for a walk in the dark, late at night, in a remote forest, at least a few miles away from the nearest home or civilization of any kind. The further in the wilderness you can get, the better -in fact I still want to take a trip out to one of the large national parks and do this again myself, where I am really far away from civilization becasue the place where I have been the furthest away was maybe camping in the northern part of Wisconsin. That would actually be an easier goal to accomplish because it is so much closer...yes, maybe I need to go back to Wisconsin...it really seemed like if we could have been further away from other campers and I had people of like mind with me, contact could have easily been made. Just like the stars, the visitors seem much closer the further away from the city I get. Anyway, the point is to draw the fears out, see them, acknoledge them and deal with them so that your contact experiences may change and evolve in such a way as to improve your life and your spirit.

What are your experiences like, if you don't mind sharing? I'm just interested so that I know which of my experiences would interest or help you.

Thank you very much for the warm welcome! I really am happy to have become part of this community and have enjoyed all of my interactions. Avalon has some of the nicest, kindest, most honest and caring people in it, that I have ever met and it is a huge privellage to be here - I am highly honored and humbled to take part.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eyes2theSkies For This Post:

Avocadess (14th September 2011), Dawn (20th October 2011), Icare (26th December 2021), Lord Sidious (10th September 2011), ulli (14th September 2011)

9. Link to Post #105
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,424 times in 425 posts

Wow, this thread has been a real treasure trove of stories, thoughts, sentiments and experiences. Thanks to all of you for sharing!

One story from my life kept coming to my mind as I was reading these stories. It was a real eye-opener for me and happened when I was about 22 years old.

All my life I have been an empathetic kind of person, though I didn't always know what to do with those feelings. When I would see people who were terribly handicapped or disfigured it would always make me feel hurt and sad, and when I would see these people -- just walking by them or whatever -- I would look away, feeling sad for their condition but helpless to do anything.

Then I got a very strange "infection" on my face. I was later told it was a staph infection which was complicated by the fact that the cream I had been putting on it for a month had an herb in it which I was allergic to. And there may have been another complication -- I can no longer remember as this was well over 30 years ago -- but what happened was that after about a month I started to (literally) have a face that looked like a "monster" -- with my entire face swollen and inflamed and red and covered with what looked like large pimples (and more I won't go into because I don't mean to gross you out, lol).

During this time, sometimes I would look in the mirror and "pose" and growl and laugh (though my face and lips were too swollen to move into a smile), pretending to be a monster on the cover of a monster magazine. It helped me to "lighten up."

At the time I was living in a monastic order (of Eastern type ideology) and about 20-30 others lived in the same house (ashram) as me. I started noticing that people avoided me like the plague. I would be on one side of the dining room in a doorway and people coming home from their daily work would begin to walk in and then suddenly turn around and not enter the room. I saw this happen again and again, and found that only four people out of 20 or 30 of my "housemates" would ever come close to me, look into my eyes or speak to me at all. And I realized that that was exactly how *I* used to respond to people I saw who seemed to be in a terrible condition.

I learned that when other people won't look you in the eye or speak to you, it is a very isolating, lonely and sad experience -- as if others are trying to block you out of their world or out of existence. I learned that it meant a lot to me just to have someone acknowledge my existence by looking me in the eye. (This went on for me for several weeks before the condition was healed.) I did not eat with the others anymore because the one time I went to do that the person across the table from me said he couldn't eat with me sitting there. I just stayed down in my temporary basement bedroom and came upstairs when most people were not there, so as not to make them uncomfortable any more than necessary.

Ever since I always make a point to look people in the eye -- friends and strangers alike -- who are in obviously/outwardly severely uncomfortable conditions, as well as those who "society" thinks of as scary or criminal-looking, etc. I know that by looking them in the eye I am acknowledging them -- and in my heart I am saying (to the strangers), "I don't know you, but I acknowledge you. I respect you are a real person and I hope you can feel that I do care about you, though our paths may cross only for this instant."

Since then, I find that I never (or almost never) feel afraid of dangerous-looking strangers, etc. Yes, I am afraid of them in the sense that some who are outing out in a psychotic/violent manner are scary, but I know that I am "giving" them, through my eyes, a sense of respect and care that we ALL need to feel -- and I know that it is highly unlikely they will harm me. The ones who are the most dangerous either will not meet my eyes or cannot "see" me when they do -- and a person can tell the difference.

In the much more recent times I have added one more practice, if you will. Some people these days -- I am sure all of us have seen it? -- will be acting out in a loud and violent and obviously psychotic way out in public -- on a bus, in the park, on the street, etc. All my antenna raise the red flags. With these people I am not seeking eye contact. With these people I send them (visualize all around them) a Pure Divine Living Light with the inner prayer that the best that can happen will be. This happened twice this past week. In both cases right after I did that the persons who had been shouting out loudly and violently became quiet and went on their way, as I did mine...
    Last edited by Avocadess; 14th September 2011 at 02:54. Reason: typos

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Avocadess For This Post:

Anna (22nd September 2011), Buck (22nd September 2011), Dawn (20th October 2011), Deega (4th January 2015), Eyes2theSkies (28th September 2011), Icare (26th December 2021), Joe Sustaire (12th December 2014), kirolak (5th November 2016), Lord Sidious (14th September 2011), Phoenix10 (22nd September 2011), transiten (14th September 2011), ulli (14th September 2011)

11. Link to Post #106
    Thanks

Thanks, Lord Sidious :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shamanseeker For This Post:

Lord Sidious (22nd September 2011)

13. Link to Post #107
    Thanks

Lovely, Abundant Traveler :-)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shamanseeker For This Post:

Dawn (20th October 2011), Lord Sidious (22nd September 2011)

15. Link to Post #108
    United States Avalon Member
    Mountain Top over looking the ocean and river in Northern California
    Thanks

Bless you and all that you do. I have always taught my children to look people in the eyes (their souls) and to treat them with respect, even if they have an illness or deformity. We are all Spirits living in human bodies. Namaskar to you!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LucidVisions For This Post:

Anna (22nd September 2011), Buck (22nd September 2011), kirolak (5th January 2015), Lord Sidious (22nd September 2011), shamanseeker (23rd September 2011)

17. Link to Post #109
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 times in 318 posts

Your story reminds me of my favourite Wayne Dwyer quote "Happiness is not what you find in life, it's what you bring to it".

I agree with Limor, most probably a very advanced soul.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoenix1304 For This Post:

bridgetlilstar (14th January 2012), Lord Sidious (23rd September 2011)

19. Link to Post #110
    Belgium Avalon Member bridgetlilstar's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you Bill. That story of yours nearly moved me to tears... wow. Great lesson there!

20. Link to Post #111
    United States Avalon Retired Member tenacity1's Avatar
    Thanks

perhaps he "chose this life" to wake people up to compassion. Maybe he was there to make folks realize that the worth of a human is not material things . We have a Vietnam Vet in our town called "Happy" . One leg, broke and begging and he never stops smiling. Most folks in our town ignore him..sighs...
    I think folks like this come along to make us realize how many in this world are suffering . Maybe he is there to galvanize those of us with hearts into action. There is much I'd like to say about this. My entire focus of my writing for a very long time is to bring to light the way the disabled are treated in our country. In my town, the right walk around people who are homeless to get to their anti abortion rally. The far left walks around them to get to their save the Magnolia tree rally. Both sides make me want to cry. One group in America that only gets press when they are spoken off as a "cost to the taxpayer". This too happened in Hitlers Germany. I don't mean to bring anyone down. This is simply what I have seen.
    No judgement no condemnation.. Just an observation.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tenacity1 For This Post:

Dawn (26th September 2013), kirolak (5th November 2016)

22. Link to Post #112
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,565 times in 32,726 posts

Dear All —

As we start to slide into the Brave New World of 2015, and all it may hold, I have several times found myself thinking of the personal story I shared nearly four years ago in the opening post of this thread.

It's one of the most thanked posts in Avalon's history, but the credit is not due to me... it all belongs to the man I encountered and described, and whose approach to his circumstances may be an inspired example for us all. Do read.

23. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Adi (4th January 2015), Blacklight43 (4th January 2015), Debra (4th January 2015), eaglespirit (4th January 2015), G.Deluca (6th January 2015), Harley (4th January 2015), Innocent Warrior (10th February 2015), kanishk (5th January 2015), kirolak (5th November 2016), Magnus (6th January 2015), Rocky_Shorz (4th January 2015), URIKORN (26th May 2015)

24. Link to Post #113
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,179 times in 2,653 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

Dear All —

As we start to slide into the Brave New World of 2015, and all it may hold, I have several times found myself thinking of the personal story I shared nearly four years ago in the opening post of this thread.

It's one of the most thanked posts in Avalon's history, but the credit is not due to me... it all belongs to the man I encountered and described, and whose approach to his circumstances may be an inspired example for us all. Do read.
    I must have been traveling and missed Your sharing, until today,
    Thank You Dearly : )

When I relieved myself of my belongings a number of years ago I kept 3 bags of clothing and personal artifacts,
    and those 3 bags were too much.

I 'feel' the Love of that Man : )

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eaglespirit For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th January 2015), Flash (10th February 2015), Innocent Warrior (10th February 2015)

26. Link to Post #114
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,573 times in 356 posts

what a great story bill I was deeply moved

27. The Following User Says Thank You to regnak For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th January 2015)

28. Link to Post #115
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,551 times in 3,482 posts

Charles has also shared a profound experience that changed him. Please also read this.
    I tried to read this but got, "Innocent Warrior, you do not have permission to access this page." I enjoyed your story, Bill, and the "Butterfly Lady" story so much, I was looking forward to reading Charles'. Maybe that is on a sub forum or something so I was wondering if his story could be copy and pasted onto this one? If not, then no problem.

Edit: Bill, if you come accross this, don't worry about it. You're obviously really busy and this is not at all important. It also occured to me that Charles's story could be posted throught a big thread, more like Simon Parks' thread and not on one post, like yours on this thread. I wouldn't ask you to do it if I thought that was the case, just so you know. My apologies, I won't bother you with anything like this in the future.
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 12th February 2015 at 11:16.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th July 2015), Flash (10th February 2015), Jean-Marie (10th February 2015)

30. Link to Post #116
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

--------

Dear All:

Richard has already shared a moving personal story about the Butterfly Lady. I do recommend that you read it.

Charles has also shared a profound experience that changed him. Please also read this.

I'd like to join Richard and Charles by telling a story of my own. It's a simple story which I've never shared except with my closest friends.

In 1989 I was in Nairobi for a couple of weeks. I was staying in a small guest house a couple of miles from the city center.

Every day I walked down the long road to the post office and market, and walked back. And every day I passed a beggar who was sitting on a dirty blanket at a street corner.

This man's arms and legs were shriveled. He could not walk. He wore a loincloth. He sat on the ground, and crawled around on his blanket. He had nothing at all.

But each time I passed by - twice a day for 14 days - he was surrounded by people. They were laughing, joking, having fun. The little beggar-man was always happy. His face was permanently wreathed in smiles. This was where the party was at, all the time, every day.

He was the man. I never once saw him other than enjoying life to the full. His friends - many of them - clearly loved him dearly.

This experience changed me profoundly. Every day I wondered at this man and his friends. One of my greatest regrets is that I never approached him to say hello.

Ten years later, I returned to Nairobi. I tried hard to find him. I wanted to give him something to thank him for his great contribution to my life. I could not. I assume he had died.

I can never tell this story on stage or in an interview: I would not be able to keep it together. That little man, bless his eternal soul, taught me that one does not have not have things to be happy: one only has to create one's own joy with the people one loves. In the context of this, little else matters.
    Brings a tear to the eye.
    Seems like you would have loved Mother Theresa had the timing been right

Sorry for not reading more of your threads sooner.
    Some people are stuck in their own heads a bit.

I feel that you really respect life Bill Ryan,
    please keep it up, the world needs that stuff.

31. Link to Post #117
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

At this point, when I think of remembering what I knew before the amnesia implants, or being on a previous planet again with my family and friends, I feel a level of joy that is so intense,the tears are trying to flow.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlS For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th July 2015)

33. Link to Post #118
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks

wow, this story reminds me of a friend of mine - it is utterly incredible how our "condition" is almost entirely a result of nothing more than ones state of mind

so, my friend was was already crippled up from severe arthritis (or something), to the point where his ribs rubbed against his hips and walking was chore - he was in constant pain, but never complained and had a great sense of humor - he had long passed the expiration date given by doctors and, despite his problems, was going very strong - he was one of the most stubborn sob's i've ever met, and i think that trait plays a key role here

so he's working as an auto mechanic pressure testing a gas tank ... with gas in it (he broke rule number 1)

nearby there was a fuel heater that had an open flame or pilot light (strike 2)

the tank burst and he was covered in gasoline (strike 3)

2nd and 3rd degree burns over most of his body - they said the flames coming off his body were almost touching the ceiling which was 20-30 ft. high

given his existing problems, doctors didn't expect him to live

i went to the hospital to see him and damn near dropped - i could barely recognize him

they were in the process of rebuilding his ears, which were burnt off, by using stitches to create rolls of skin on his neck, then they would detach one end of the roll and sew it on to his ear and slowly keep doing this - his nose, hands, head, arms, legs, stomach were all burnt

his wife brought him a new pair of white sneakers

when Carl saw those damned shoes, his face lit up like a 4-yr old on x-mas morning

that sone of a gun had one hell of a constitution

needless to say, he survived and, eventually, went back to work and continued to pursue his passion in auto mechanics

he died a while back and he is greatly missed by many, but he left us with one hell of a legacy

34. Link to Post #119
    Thanks

Thank you for this wonderful story.

I think you have given him a gift still:
    After all this years he is remembered, loved, cherished - by so many people besides his friends there.

Thank you.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to sunpaw For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th July 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6