+ Reply to Thread

Thread: State of Missouri Cuts Back State Child Labor Protections

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Snowbird's Avatar
    The CORPORATION of the United States of America
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,082 posts

Default State of Missouri Cuts Back State Child Labor Protections

All I can say is that I am so very grateful that I walk in my own shoes and not in the shoes of those who are purposely and malevolently doing and planning harm to others. They are serving a master that produces horrific personal karma.

They are now beginning to strip away the few protections that children have had. The children will now become fair game to these.

Think Progress

http://thinkprogress.org/

by Ian Millhiser
    Feb. 15, 2011

Missouri State Sen. Jane Cunningham (R) is pushing a bill which would dramatically claw back state child labor protections. As the bill’s official summary explains:

This act modifies the child labor laws. It eliminates the prohibition on employment of children under age fourteen. Restrictions on the number of hours and restrictions on when a child may work during the day are also removed. It also repeals the requirement that a child ages fourteen or fifteen obtain a work certificate or work permit in order to be employed. Children under sixteen will also be allowed to work in any capacity in a motel, resort or hotel where sleeping accommodations are furnished. It also removes the authority of the director of the Division of Labor Standards to inspect employers who employ children and to require them to keep certain records for children they employ. It also repeals the presumption that the presence of a child in a workplace is evidence of employment.

To be fair, children in Missouri would still enjoy robust protections against exploitation even if Cunningham succeeded in repealing all child labor laws in her state, thanks to the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. But far right lawmakers have declared war on federal child labor laws as well. In a lengthy lecture delivered before his election to the U.S. Senate, Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) praises a discredited 1918 Supreme Court decision declaring child labor laws unconstitutional. That decision, which Lee holds out a model for his tenther vision of the Constitution, was unanimously overruled by the Supreme Court in 1941.

As recently as the day before President Obama moved into the White House, it was difficult to imagine even the most conservative lawmakers breaking with the 70 year-old consensus surrounding child labor laws. Welcome to the post-Tea Party era, where even the most bizarre and disastrous mistakes from America’s past are part of the right-wing’s agenda.
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

2. Link to Post #2
    Germany Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: State of Missouri Cuts Back State Child Labor Protections

Last edited by Northern Boy; 17th February 2011 at 19:10.

3. Link to Post #3
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Interesting. So the republicans are now far right?
    Not knocking you Snowbird, but that source is quite amusing.
    Obviously leftists that believe their own rubbish.

4. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Snowbird's Avatar
    The CORPORATION of the United States of America
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,082 posts

Quote Posted by Lord Sidious (here)
    Not knocking you either Lord Sidious, but your post has nothing whatever to do with the subject of children being protected.

What difference does the site make when the subject is important? I could have just as easily linked a rightist site. Politics was invented to divide as was religion and many other aspects of society. Division is what the PTW want more than anything. Its far easier for them to conquer us when we're divided.

Maybe these sites will be more to your liking.

Jay Leno pokes fun at Missouri senator's proposed bill

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/244...-proposed-bill

Missouri senator want to repeal child labor laws
    KansasCity-The Star

http://voices.kansascity.com/entries...ld-labor-laws/
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

5. Link to Post #5
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Quote Posted by Snowbird (here)
    Quote Posted by Lord Sidious (here)
    Not knocking you either Lord Sidious, but your post has nothing whatever to do with the subject of children being protected.

What difference does the site make when the subject is important? I could have just as easily linked a rightist site. Politics was invented to divide as was religion and many other aspects of society. Division is what the PTW want more than anything. Its far easier for them to conquer us when we're divided.

Maybe these sites will be more to your liking.

Jay Leno pokes fun at Missouri senator's proposed bill

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/244...-proposed-bill

Missouri senator want to repeal child labor laws
    KansasCity-The Star

http://voices.kansascity.com/entries...ld-labor-laws/
    No, I am not interested in any of the political parties.
    I was just making an OT comment.
    Seems you took my comment as an insult or criticism.
    It wasn't intended that way, I was just amused at the conditioning of the authors on the site.
    Sorry if you didn't get my meaning.

+ Reply to Thread