+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wisdom of The i Ching

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Wisdom of The i Ching

Hi all

Just wanted to share with you all something I found of interest in Richard Wilhelm's translation of the i Ching (book of changes). Having always had an interest in the culture and philosophy of the far-east, I am just getting round to studying this work.

During a commentary on the i Ching hexagram "Lu" (meaning treading or conduct), Wilhelm says this:

"Among mankind also there are necessarily differences of elevation; it is impossible to bring about universal equality. But it is important that differences in social rank should not be arbitary or unjust, for if this occurs, envy and class struggle are the inevitable consequences. If, on the other hand, external differences in rank correspond with differences in inner worth, people acquiesce and order reigns in society"

Further on under hexagram "P'i" (standstilll/stagnation), he says:

"When, owing to the influence of inferior men, mutual mistrust prevails in public life, fruitful activity is rendered impossible, because the fundamentals are wrong"

In reading this explanation of ancient Chinese writings, I was struck by the similarity to a point made by psychologist Andrew M Lobaczewski in his "Political Ponerology: A Science on the Nature of Evil Adjusted for Political Purposes", a book published in 1998.

Lobaczewski also has something to say in the natural inequality of people and says:

"Highly gifted people constitute a tiny percentage of each popluation, and those with the highest quotient of inteligence constitute only a few per thousand. In spite of this, however, the latter play such a significant role in collective life that any society attempting to to prevent them from fulfilling their duty does so at its own peril.

It seems to me that two books, hundreds of years apart, indicate one of the challenges we have in today's world. Clearly, as a generalisation, those holding the power are not qualified to excercise it with any moral authority.

Thanks for listening!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peacelovinman For This Post:

Adaiahsshadow (19th February 2011), Nortreb (20th February 2011), seko (22nd February 2011), shijo (19th February 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Wisdom of The i Ching

thanks for your post,youll be taking on a lifetimes study,Confucius said at the end of his long life that if he had another 50 years to go he would devote them all to the I Ching.The book fell out of a library shelf and dropped at my feet some 40 years ago,i have been delving ever since.regards shijo.

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Hi Shijo

Yes, I have gathered that. I have always reckoned that I need to learn patience so this will be no bad thing!

Seems to me that, in my intital delvings into what Confucius said, his personal/political philosophy could readily be applied today.

Thanks for your comment.

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Hi Peacelovinman,i threw the yarrow stalks (long winded way but good for the concentration),re the Charles material,and received no 57, with changing lines in the first , second and top positions changing to no 63.I was never enamoured with the material but read the threads. when you have time let me know what you think re the hexagrams answer.The question was simply about truth,and thats what the IChings about as you know. regards Shijo.

6. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

I really need to get my hands on an I Ching.

I'm interested to learn that Confucius was a fan of that as well. I studied Confucius a few years back and found that fascinating.

7. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Caden (here)
    I really need to get my hands on an I Ching.

I'm interested to learn that Confucius was a fan of that as well. I studied Confucius a few years back and found that fascinating.
    Indeed Caden. He added commentaries to an already existing text from deep antiquity.In fact without him its very difficult to glean many meanings in the text as they are so obscure.My way into the book was to use it as a divination tool,and learn the theoretical and historical bits over time,which ive only partially done even after 40 years study.What i can say is that ultimately psyche and world are one and the I ching taught me this.

8. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member write4change's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,634 times in 628 posts

And of course read Terrance McKenna's blending of the I Chine with collective consciousness and mathematical vibrations of the universe.
    Beware the axis of sanctimony.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to write4change For This Post:

shijo (22nd February 2011)

10. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

apologies peacelovinman, ive been digressing from your topic, will endeavour to keep on track.

11. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Hi Shijo

No, that's fine. I'll look at the Hexagrams you threw re Charles when I get some time. I recently consulted the Oracle using the coin method to assist me in making a particular choice - I found it helpful in affirming what, in my heart of hearts, I knew.

Thanks to you all for your thoughts.

12. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

My question has always been who or what is answering....i found out the answer from the james legge translation predating wilhelms, but i will leave it for now until next time,its funny Legge didnt use the oracle for divination at all.

+ Reply to Thread