Thread: Let's All Confess to a Time When We Lost Our Cool

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Cottage Rose's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,454 times in 617 posts

Default Let's All Confess to a Time When We Lost Our Cool

I love you, Gypsy Woman. Let's be friends again.

Please don't feel bad anymore - it has happened to us all.

It is my wish that everyone who participates in this tread:

(1) Welcome Gypsy Woman back to Avalonia
    (2) Share a personal story of when you lost your cool

Here's my story:

Once when I resided in Corporate America, I tossed a beverage in a co-workers face and ruined her beautiful new silk blouse. The cat fight was over a promotion. After I was selected, she proceeded to spread vicious gossip suggesting a nefarious reason for the choice. I was suspended for two days after the incident. (Two day paid vacation. hehehe) Anyway, sorry about your blouse, Sharon.

Now, let's stay friendly and on topic.

Thanks,
    Cottage Rose

(Sorry, this is late Gypsy Woman. I couldn't find the link to start a thread)
    Last edited by Cottage Rose; 22nd February 2011 at 04:30.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cottage Rose For This Post:

Belle (22nd February 2011), Buchanan561 (22nd February 2011), crosby (22nd February 2011), InCiDeR (1st March 2011), John Parslow (22nd February 2011), Lord Sidious (22nd February 2011), modwiz (22nd February 2011), red_rose (22nd February 2011), Sowelu (22nd February 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,799 times in 2,657 posts

Default Re: We Love You, Gypsy Woman........ Let's All Confess to a Time When We Lost Our C

Welcome back Gypsy Woman........here's my story: at my previous job (as a partial hospital secretary), i was pulled in by my cfo and asked why i hadn't done the billing faster. i tried to explain that i had always done the billing the same way; she proceeded to tell me that i was full of s&^t and that if i didn't get the lead out, i was out. i then told her: "your arrogance isn't appropriate to your talents". she didn't like that and i was fired 4 days later. i stand by it. her arrogance wasn't and still isn't appropriate to her talents. she was fired not long after me. so, what goes around always come back around.
    warmest regards, corson

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to crosby For This Post:

Belle (22nd February 2011), Buchanan561 (22nd February 2011), Cottage Rose (22nd February 2011), Icecold (22nd February 2011), Lord Sidious (22nd February 2011), red_rose (22nd February 2011), Scout (22nd February 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Re: We Love You, Gypsy Woman........ Let's All Confess to a Time When We Lost Our C

Welcome back Gypsy Woman!

I am not one to lose my cool, especially in a professional setting, but there was a time when a very high profile client (who incidentally did not like to pay his bills), was verbally harassing me on the phone over payment. After taking his abuse for 20 minutes with the conversation going no where, I finally told him that it was not my responsibility to make sure he paid his bills on time, it was his, and I promptly hung up on him.

Sometimes you just reach a breaking point. In the end it is all just water under the bridge

Scout

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Scout For This Post:

Belle (22nd February 2011), Buchanan561 (22nd February 2011), Cottage Rose (22nd February 2011), crosby (22nd February 2011), Icecold (22nd February 2011), jorr lundstrom (22nd February 2011), Lord Sidious (22nd February 2011), red_rose (22nd February 2011), Sowelu (22nd February 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,990 times in 1,091 posts

LOL. Good story Rose.

GW, I sent you a PM and as usual you are selectively uncommunicative.

Welcome back GW. I have mentioned that I like your new profile pic?

Here is a story from my childhood....

I used to have a three wheeler bike my gandfather made for me. He painted it up all royal blue. I really liked that bike.

My family had recently moved to a new suburb. I decided to go for a ride to the top of my street to see what was what.

I arrived at the top of the hill, got off my bike to look around, a good view from the top of the hill.

As I'm looking into the distance, three boys approach me. Well I thought, "ok time to make some new friends".

That didn't happen. The three boys surrounded me and began saying unfriendly things that I didn't like. Then they told me that they were going to take my bike, and proceed to do just that. Poor boys.

Well, they did not know what hit them. One down crying, one tangled up in a rose bush screaming for mum and you know, I was then a fast runner, but I could not catch the last guy. I jumped back on my bike and pedalled down the hill thinking, where did that come from?

Years later, two of those boys became police officers

I did tangle with one of them again years later with the same result....for him.

Cheers,

Ice

8. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Icecold (here)
    That didn't happen. The three boys surrounded me and began saying unfriendly things that I didn't like. Then they told me that they were going to take my bike, and proceed to do just that. Poor boys.

Well, they did not know what hit them. One down crying, one tangled up in a rose bush screaming for mum and you know, I was then a fast runner, but I could not catch the last guy. I jumped back on my bike and pedalled down the hill thinking, where did that come from?

Years later, two of those boys became police officers

I did tangle with one of them again years later with the same result....for him.

Cheers,

Ice
    Hi Ice:

There is no way for me to adequately describe how much the energy and wisdom you bring to this forum has meant to me, my friend.

Rose

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cottage Rose For This Post:

Belle (22nd February 2011), Buchanan561 (22nd February 2011), Calz (22nd February 2011), Icecold (22nd February 2011), modwiz (22nd February 2011)

10. Link to Post #6
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Thanks Rose.

You are a beautiful soul.

I love the people here.

Its more of a home to me than home.

Blessings,

Ice

11. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Buchanan561's Avatar
    Thanks

Welllllllll Looks like I am just.........little miss goodie two shoes. I have never lost my cool.

That's a little of a lie I suppose. I Do occasionally loose it with my 40 year old mentally challenged son. I just break down and go to my room and cry. I yell at him and then just seconds later the 'reading of him' sets in and I find myself in shame.

He cannot incorporate new things into his mind or memory banks. I have to give him instructions as to very minor rules of the house but....he cannot assimilate the information into his being and it just falls between the cracks.

He will look at me with tears in his eyes and say.....what did I do...what did I do over and over as he has no comprehension of what just transpired. His action and then my reaction and why.

He is 6'3 and 250 pounds. And the mind of perhaps a 5 year old. He was normal until puberty and then it just went. No one knows why. So he lives with me and I have to learn how to clean up after him without judgment. Thanks

and Gypsy Woman. You are human just like the rest of us. I usually do not post as I can make enemies that way. But in the end I always have to speak up and identify something when I see something that I feel is wrong.

I find no fault in you as I find no fault in any others who are on this forum. We are all living in the same ?nightmare? waiting to wake up and find it all gone. My best to you as you heal from all the noise around here. Emma

12. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Buchanan561 For This Post:

An Cailleach (22nd February 2011), Belle (22nd February 2011), benevolentcrow (23rd February 2011), Calz (22nd February 2011), Caren (23rd February 2011), Cottage Rose (22nd February 2011), crosby (22nd February 2011), dan i el (26th February 2011), DoubleHelix (22nd February 2011), Gardener (22nd February 2011), GoldenYears (1st March 2011), Icecold (22nd February 2011), Kindling (22nd February 2011), Limor Wolf (28th February 2011), Lumial8 (1st March 2011), magicmanx (22nd February 2011), modwiz (22nd February 2011), red_rose (22nd February 2011), Ross (22nd February 2011), scribbler (24th February 2011), Sebastion (1st March 2011), Selene (22nd February 2011), sheddie (22nd February 2011), Sowelu (22nd February 2011), TigerLilly (22nd February 2011), witchy1 (22nd February 2011), yiolas (22nd February 2011)

13. Link to Post #8
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Quote Posted by Icecold (here)
    Thanks Rose.

You are a beautiful soul.

I love the people here.

Its more of a home to me than home.

Blessings,

Ice
    We have some absolute gems here, I would agree.

14. Link to Post #9
    Sweden Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,114 times in 1,725 posts

Yeah, welcome again GW. If you want to read my PM:s to my friends, just give me a hint, so you dont have to sneak into

their mailboxes. It can be quite embaressing to get caught with that you know.

People in my country have an idea that Gypsies cant divide between mine and others belongings.

I too do like your new avatar, did you meet an angry cat or............. LOL

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jorr lundstrom For This Post:

An Cailleach (22nd February 2011), Cottage Rose (22nd February 2011), Icecold (22nd February 2011), modwiz (22nd February 2011)

16. Link to Post #10
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Your story really touched me Emm.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts lady.

Blessings to you and your son.

I know these soul lessons will lift you both to a new level in your journey.

Kindness,

Ice

17. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,987 times in 1,125 posts

Wasn't sure if I should tell this one. But here goes.

I was never one to just get angry. I would "red out". It's like I'd reach a point in my anger that everything around me would disappear behind a wall of red. And then I'd let go with all the venom within, saying anything just to hurt. I have this thing about knowing people's weaknesses and in my anger I would shred them apart with my words.

I was eighteen and still living at home and an argument with my parents started (oh yeah, like that's never happened to anyone else). Well, I did my thing and went after my Dad, and he just stood there not saying a word...no reaction whatsoever. So I said ever more hurtful things, just trying to get a rise out of him, until there was nothing left. My Mom was near tears just saying his name. He looked at her and said, "She needed to get that out. I'll never let her know how much she hurt me."

He loved me enough to give me what I needed at the time with no concern for himself. I couldn't take the words back. I couldn't make up for the hurt I caused him. I wish he was still alive so I could tell him how much that changed my life.

Every time I start losing it, I think of my Dad, take a step back and breathe. I never want to cause that kind of hurt again.

Okay, now someone tell a funny one. Please.

18. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Belle For This Post:

Buchanan561 (22nd February 2011), Caren (23rd February 2011), Cottage Rose (22nd February 2011), crosby (22nd February 2011), dan i el (26th February 2011), Gardener (22nd February 2011), Icecold (22nd February 2011), JSGlasgow (23rd February 2011), Limor Wolf (28th February 2011), Lumial8 (1st March 2011), Lunar (2nd March 2011), Mystique (22nd February 2011), red_rose (22nd February 2011), Selene (22nd February 2011), sheddie (22nd February 2011), TigerLilly (22nd February 2011), tutu (22nd February 2011), write4change (1st March 2011)

19. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Belle (here)

I was never one to just get angry. I would "red out". It's like I'd reach a point in my anger that everything around me would disappear behind a wall of red. And then I'd let go with all the venom within, saying anything just to hurt. I have this thing about knowing people's weaknesses and in my anger I would shred them apart with my words.
    Dear Belle:

I have let the venom fly many a time. Once that point is reached......

I don't recall ever encountering a situation like the one you had with your dad. Turned the other cheek, did he? That would provide a memorable lesson.

Thank you so much for revealing that story.

Cottage Rose

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cottage Rose For This Post:

Belle (22nd February 2011), Icecold (22nd February 2011)

21. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,987 times in 1,125 posts

I just came back to edit my post (okay, I admit it, I wanted to delete it), and I want to thank you for your response. That was the last time I ever got that angry and have mellowed out more and more as I have aged, gracefully I might add.

I wanted to share that as I was typing that I kept getting shivers where my whole body would shake; never had that happen before. It kept up until I finally posted. I think it was something I had to say. Sorry if it brought everyone down. I keep trying to think of something funny, but I got nothing.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Belle For This Post:

Buchanan561 (22nd February 2011), Cigan Mojia (28th March 2015), Cottage Rose (22nd February 2011), Gardener (22nd February 2011), Icecold (22nd February 2011), TigerLilly (22nd February 2011), yiolas (22nd February 2011)

23. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Ol' Roy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,559 times in 399 posts

Smile Re: We Love You, Gypsy Woman........ Let's All Confess to a Time When We Lost Our C

Good Evening Cottage Rose,

One little story. I used to work in auto manufacturing. I was in quality control. One time, we were inspecting cars, and a group leader from another area came into our area and tried to start bossing us around. Also getting in our way. I told him to get out of our area. He puffed up and turned red and told me he was going to take me to HR. He had little-big man sydrome. I stood my ground though. My own group leader stood up for me. He told him not to be in our area. My GL laughed about it afterward! HoHo

By the way, I've been meaning to tell you, what a lovely cottage you have. Ah! To Be in NATURE!

You are a beautiful person, both inside and out. Just wanted you to know. I always like reading your posts.

Take care,
    Ol'Roy
    Last edited by Ol' Roy; 22nd February 2011 at 03:35. Reason: missed a word

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ol' Roy For This Post:

Cottage Rose (22nd February 2011), crosby (22nd February 2011), Icecold (22nd February 2011)

25. Link to Post #15
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Belle (here)
    I just came back to edit my post (okay, I admit it, I wanted to delete it), and I want to thank you for your response. That was the last time I ever got that angry and have mellowed out more and more as I have aged, gracefully I might add.

I wanted to share that as I was typing that I kept getting shivers where my whole body would shake; never had that happen before. It kept up until I finally posted. I think it was something I had to say. Sorry if it brought everyone down. I keep trying to think of something funny, but I got nothing.
    Belle, those shivers were you connecting to the source.

Your angels were embracing you and telling you that they love you.

Beautiful.

Blessings,

Ice

26. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ol' Roy (here)
    Good Evening Cottage Rose,

One little story. I used to work in auto manufacturing. I was in quality control. One time, we were inspecting cars, and a group leader from another area came into our area and tried to start bossing us around. Also getting in our way. I told him to get out of our area. He puffed up and turned red and told me he was going to take me to HR. He had little-big man sydrome. I stood my ground though. My own group leader stood up for me. He told him not to be in our area. My GL laughed about it afterward! HoHo

By the way, I've been meaning to tell you, what a lovely cottage you have. Ah! To Be in NATURE!

You are a beautiful person, both inside and out. Just wanted you to know. I always like reading your posts.

Take care,
    Ol'Roy
    Thank you so much, Ol'Roy. Yes, I have noticed the syndrome you speak of many times. Great story!

27. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

OK, per Cottage Rose:

I just could not wrap my brain around the Heather thread, and didn't follow along, so I don't really know what transpired there that caused the friction - nor do I want to dredge any of it up. Gypsy Woman: bright, articulate, passionate, funny, and a compatriot against the nefarious Controllers of the World. I'd feel confident standing next to you in battle. In my book, you were never really gone, but what the hell, welcome back!

I've probably literally posted 10,000 posts in various forums over the past years. The vast, vast majority of people I've met and interacted with online have been really great, and just a few were not-so-great. I have kept my cool with a number of goons, trolls, jerks, bullies, and a a few psychos. But the other day, right here, I popped my cork, lost my cool, and blasted someone who was acting like a bully and an 'agent'. So, even people known for keeping their cool and for peacemaking can and do lose their cool.

Dennis

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Buchanan561 (22nd February 2011), Cottage Rose (22nd February 2011), crosby (22nd February 2011), scribbler (24th February 2011)

29. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member Mystique's Avatar
    Thanks

Welcome back GW, thought I would say "glad you are back!"

My youngest daughter is a verrry emotional and intense person - and it took her many years to work it out to get a hold of the reigns on her anger. Once, I was late picking her up from work - again, and when she got in the car she "let it fly." I tried the calm role modeling, keeping the tone down...but...she was getting nasty and ugly. I pulled over the car and told her to "GET OUT!" She was getting out, but looked like she was going to take a swing at me and we started slapping at each others' hands. As she got out she made a quick gesture and I threw my plastic water bottle at her. She slammed the door and I drove off. I was sooo p****d that I drove home. I left her on the hiway four miles from home. A police officer stopped by but she had a ride (she had called her friend to pick her up). Even though I felt I should feel guilty, I mean a cop did have to stop to check on her, she was so nasty I just didn't. Ok, a little...but not much. Later when I calmed down I felt ashamed, but she thought it was funny.

(I started off with a different story - but it was one where I didn't lose it - so I changed it.)
    Last edited by Mystique; 22nd February 2011 at 16:07.
    "The Light of my Truth is my Sword."

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mystique For This Post:

Belle (22nd February 2011), Buchanan561 (22nd February 2011), crosby (22nd February 2011), indiana (22nd February 2011), jorr lundstrom (22nd February 2011), Lord Sidious (22nd February 2011), red_rose (22nd February 2011)

31. Link to Post #19
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,458 times in 576 posts

Can't tell you any never done it

32. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by xibl122 (here)
    OK, per Cottage Rose:

I popped my cork, lost my cool, and blasted someone who was acting like a bully and an 'agent'. So, even people known for keeping their cool and for peacemaking can and do lose their cool.

Dennis
    Yes, we certainly all know that is true.

Gypsy Woman, don't be so sad. Bring back your happy Avatar. We all miss it.

Thanks, Dennis!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 6 LastLast