+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Survival food ?

1. Link to Post #1
    Australia Avalon Member Henners's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Survival food ?

Hello guys.

Today i arrived home to find a box with enough survival food and water to last approximately 4 days. Its the the type that lasts about four years in sealed packages. My eldest son listened intently, whereas my youngest who is 20, had a grin from ear to ear.

I reminded him of the Floods last month in Queensland where people bought out all the food available in the super markets.

I reminded him of the Cyclone in Queensland last month where again, people panicked and bought as much food as possible and many were left wanting.

I reminded him of the large earth quake that hit New Zealand across the ditch from us, where people don't have running water, sewage, or readily available supplies.

He then said, will that be enough dad, or should "we" get some more. Now the whole family believes in being prepared "just in case".

Have you thought of this in your family....????
    You must speak to be heard,
    but sometimes
    You have to be silent to be appreciated.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Henners For This Post:

AlkaMyst (26th February 2011), Icecold (26th February 2011), Kindling (26th February 2011), mcaballero (26th February 2011), MorgaineFallen (13th June 2011), Nenuphar (1st March 2011), Pamela (25th February 2011), penn (25th February 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,836 times in 3,731 posts

Default Re: Survival food ?

Henners, this is progress.

There are food shortages in NZ around the quake, and my wife was asking the question to me tonight - how come people are running out of stuff after only two days? Dont people read the news?

There is a subforum on this topic https://projectavalon.net/forum4/foru...vival-Supplies

and I know I am biased, but here is my basic prep guide - I think you read this on the old forum, but I put it here as well.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...94-%28V1.04%29

Its good people are taking this seriously - after all this time, things are starting to look like we were not bonkers after all.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Shelltower (25th February 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Thanks for that John, i should have looked at the main thread index. Great info and very useful...
    but sometimes

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by John (here)
    Its good people are taking this seriously - after all this time, things are starting to look like we were not bonkers after all.
    I have noticed people here have started growing gardens and have also become upset about all the hormones and antibiotics in our food. Recently I had a talk with my optometrist who is expanding his garden and growing corn. He said, "I don't usually plant corn because I don't really care for it, but I have a feeling I may need it in the future."

Then my husband was at a barber shop and one of the men there works in a chicken factory. He was saying that a normal chicken takes 90 days to mature. However, with all the added hormones it now only takes 45 days! He is also planting a garden. He said he only recently found out about organic growing but that he was going to begin figuring it out!

It is good to already have survival food at hand and make preparations to start growing your own also. So I think you are right. Many people are taking things seriously and that is a good sign.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pamela For This Post:

sheddie (26th February 2011)

8. Link to Post #5
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

I've got maybe 6 months of canned food if rationed properly. Plus maybe 100 saved milk jugs for water. Haven't seen anybody else even thinking about this though.

Cheers,
    Fred S.

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,545 times in 2,615 posts

I have put considerable thought and action into food storage since the summer of 2008 when it became crystal clear to me that we were heading for a crash.

I have about enough food stored for 4 people for 1.5 years. With the new report out from Lindsey Williams now and the crisis in the middle east I will be considering expanding my storage.

White Rice and beans is the key! They will store literally forever sealed or unsealed in a plastic bucket if you keep them out of extreme weather and keep them dry. I had some second generation anasasi beans given to me by a friend who acquired them though a univeristy that found them in anasasi ruins about 40 years ago... second generation grew as well as the ones they found

I feel that it is critical that everyone store food and water and whatever they feel that they will need to survive for up to two years, even though I am not quite at that level yet.

I am developing my garden skills and did fairly well this past summer for a new gardener..
    Our house will have a very active sunroom and in time we will be building a small greenhouse.

4 days is a pitance but it may be much more than your neighbors have. Good for you to make a decision, take a step and be one of those who are a solution, not a problem.

I would only encourage you to go further.
    some of the best experts on food storage can be found on this website www.sufficientself.com
    but Im to that point myself... still weak on storing fresh foods... lots to learn there.
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 26th February 2011 at 03:11.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

AlkaMyst (26th February 2011), sheddie (26th February 2011)

11. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Actually they have what they call meat chickens that will mature in 45 days without hormones. It is from selected breeding not necessarily hormones.. I plan to raise some myself this summer I hope and they can be raised quite organically.

12. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 times in 322 posts

It's not enough to save for yourself and immediate family. If you can do so save extra for those who can't.

I watched videos that showed members of the Mormon Church doing exactly that: preparing meals for a family of five in mylar bags which they can hand out to the needy. God bless them!

13. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Snowbird's Avatar
    The CORPORATION of the United States of America
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,082 posts

I have a head start on the stockup of food, but I do need more. I'm particularly concerned about water. I think that water will be the biggest challenge.

What is really strange, is that I don't feel a threat or driven to collect these items. I'm doing it anyway, but I'm doing it calmly.
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowbird For This Post:

sheddie (26th February 2011)

15. Link to Post #10
    Australia Avalon Member TWINNICK's Avatar
    Thanks

G'day.

And when all the good stuff is gone we will have to eat insects,(LOL)

Actually I'm not joking, many cultures on earth do this already, high in protein, low in fats, good source of vitamins and minerals.

Just incase somebody asks, NO I have not eaten any, but I will if I have to and there is no more bunnies left...............crickets and honey anybody???

..Nick..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TWINNICK For This Post:

AlkaMyst (26th February 2011)

17. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

People eat crickest and these little white worms all the time in parts of Mexico.
    I figured out this past year that we could survive just eating the mice I can catch round our homestead.
    and a good slingshot for fresh rabbit will do well, or a pellet gun

Since we have a well, we put in a hand pump to sit beside the electric pump. People with wells should do this so that solves that problem for us. There are 3 of these in our immediate neighborhood so all the neighbors should be able to get what they need. Some electric pump wells have no room for a hand pump to go along side it. If you wont have an access to water you need containers as well as a good wagon to transport it with, you know, like kids have, just in case you end up not having a car. Home depot sells industrial strength wagons... they are yellow.

With the Mormon church, there is a nasty rumor about their food distribution... if the SHTF people won't be able to get any from them unless they submit to chipping... cant say where the truth lies on that one.

Meanwhile if you are into canning the Mormons have fantistic canning facilitities and they will help you can. In exchange they ask that you help out in some way at the cannery.. Most major cities where Mormons have a presence they have a cannery.

Having food for others is great, but people really need to wake up and tend for themselves now. Be part of the solution, not the problem.... at the very least purchasing the correct food will likely give a 2 to 5% annual return on your money... better than you will do at any bank
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 26th February 2011 at 05:17.

18. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

I believe at least a month's preparation is very important..
    and because you're buying for a whole family there are family deals online..
    you can get freezedried food and canned goods but it is invaluable to learn how to can your own goods.

At least a weeks worth of water... u will also need some for washing and cooking...
    You can never be to careful

Catching your food or finding water would be really difficult if a war or riot breaks out.
    It might be good to watch the videos on shortages...
    There are many on riots in other countries but the us isn't far behind
    Last edited by Sowelu; 26th February 2011 at 05:53.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift…that is why we call it the present"

19. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,113 times in 807 posts

Make sure you have enough water. And, portable water filter just in case.
    Plus, check out natural water sources around in walking distance too.

If you really serious about long-term society breakdown, make sure get a portable energy device too.
    Attach an car alternator to bicycle rear wheel, few parts make it produces about 1Kw power generator on demand.

20. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Hybrid5226's Avatar
    Thanks

I canned butter when it was a 1.00 a lb . Now its almost 3.00 lb
    Canned meats . Chicken ,Ham , Corned beef . Works better if it is packed raw . I canned it cooked an uncooked .

Also any peas,lentils ,etc if you get to the point that we have no summers like some suggest might happen ? You can always sprout them an get more nutrient value . Mayonaise jar an some screen from the hardware store . Add lentils with water . Soak over night then drain . Rinse once every day for 3 days .

I have a five gallon bucket of alfalfa I was going to use as cover crop an decided to save it to make sprouts .

Every once in a while though I have this dream that I have everything set up ready to go an one day I leave home an a Flash flood,Tornado,Earthquake happens an wipes out all my hard work. lol

Peace,
    Erin
    Last edited by Hybrid5226; 27th February 2011 at 08:34.

21. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Thanks for that info arrowwind, i will be taking your advice...
    Quote 4 days is a pitance but it may be much more than your neighbors have. Good for you to make a decision, take a step and be one of those who are a solution, not a problem.
    but sometimes

+ Reply to Thread