+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 3 10 LastLast

Thread: A reminder: please don't forget to donate to the Forum

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

Default Re: A reminder: please don't forget to donate to the Forum

Bumping again. I know Bill never likes asking for help at any time.

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

Hello, Everyone — after a great deal of thought (I really hate doing this! ) I'm bumping this myself. It really is needed. I'd not be doing this otherwise.

I cannot pay the server bills. I just can't. In recent months I've had to sell some personal items to make the payments, and I'm going to have to do that again. That's not really the way it should ideally be.

If everyone active on the forum donated the price of a cup of coffee (literally!) once a month, there'd be zero problem at all.

So, I have no real idea to know how to close this post... but my entreaty, I think, is: Please don't take the forum for granted. It does cost money — thousands of dollars! — every year to keep afloat. And it's my responsibility to make sure she sails well and flawlessly, for the benefit of us all.

My sincere thanks to everyone for your generosity, past, present and future.

If we can get the numbers, For the price of a Starbucks coffee each month $3 or $4 would help so much. What do you guys think ?

Stay afloat Avalon.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

7alon (8th August 2017), Bill Ryan (10th January 2017), Chester (10th January 2017), Daughter of Time (10th January 2017), Debra (10th January 2017), findingneo (8th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (10th January 2017), Hervé (14th January 2017), Ol' Roy (18th January 2017), RunningDeer (10th January 2017), seehas (10th January 2017)

3. Link to Post #42
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 times in 276 posts

Quote Posted by Billy (here)
    Bumping again. I know Bill never likes asking for help at any time.

Hello, Everyone — after a great deal of thought (I really hate doing this! ) I'm bumping this myself. It really is needed. I'd not be doing this otherwise.

I cannot pay the server bills. I just can't. In recent months I've had to sell some personal items to make the payments, and I'm going to have to do that again. That's not really the way it should ideally be.

If everyone active on the forum donated the price of a cup of coffee (literally!) once a month, there'd be zero problem at all.

So, I have no real idea to know how to close this post... but my entreaty, I think, is: Please don't take the forum for granted. It does cost money — thousands of dollars! — every year to keep afloat. And it's my responsibility to make sure she sails well and flawlessly, for the benefit of us all.

If we can get the numbers, For the price of a Starbucks coffee each month $3 or $4 would help so much. What do you guys think ?

Stay afloat Avalon.
    Bumping the bump - Bill only asks for help if he really needs it... every little helps.
    Love is all you need

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 42 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th January 2017), Billy (10th January 2017), Chester (10th January 2017), Debra (10th January 2017), Foxie Loxie (10th January 2017), Hervé (14th January 2017), RunningDeer (10th January 2017), seehas (10th January 2017)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

Keep in mind that the more generous we are, the more cool videos Bill can make for us! :-)
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th January 2017), Billy (10th January 2017), Debra (10th January 2017), Foxie Loxie (10th January 2017), Hervé (14th January 2017), Ol' Roy (18th January 2017), RunningDeer (10th January 2017), seehas (10th January 2017)

7. Link to Post #44
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Adding a bump to the bumps.

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan

Newer members may very understandably not be fully aware of the costs of the forum. Like a great deal of material on the net, we all (me, too) kind of unthinkingly assume it should somehow all be free, like some kind of globally sponsored public service.

And for those who work everyday to add real value, there are a number of ways that many people try to monetize what they do: subscription newsletters, subscription interviews, dreadful advertising all over the place. I've always flatly refused to do that.

My whole philosophy has been to pay it forward. The traditional protocol of exchange is:
    "I have something, and you want it. Okay, first give me some money, or something in return, and then, and only then, I'll let you have it."
    That's never sat naturally with me. Whatever planet I come from, I think works in a different way. (This may not be just a joke. )

I've always contributed what I can, simply because that's the only thing to do. As Alan Watts famously said on his Sausalito houseboat back in the 70s, pointing to a passing seagull: "I teach, just as that bird flies."

Then, in some other way, the return flow comes, often quite unexpectedly. In the early days of Project Camelot, Kerry Cassidy and I always worked that way, assuming that the donations would come in if we just published everything for free. (And, they did.)

Tens of thousands of people still watch the old Camelot videos, which were among the best and most valuable on the net at the time. Some of them are still important classics. Project Camelot still receives donations from people watching those — but I don't, and when Camelot receives a gift, it's impossible to know what's prompted it: something old, or something new.

Not a problem, truly, and I rarely think about it. But that's just a little background, about how I've kind of disconnected myself from that valuable stream of gifts. Mea culpa, in some ways.

The forum here is small by many internet standards, but the quality is solid gold. I'm immensely proud of it, and of the entire community here. It's a huge library. And in our community we have some of the highest quality people one could ever wish to get to know. The moderators team is solid gold, too, and they work tirelessly to keep the forum working as impeccably as possible. No-one receives a penny for this. Their reward is the great satisfaction they get from helping.

I know that many of you reading this are yourselves not at all rich. The most generous donations sometimes come from people with very little to their name. I once got a donation, with a lovely note, from a young man in Poland who sent $1.20 and apologized that it was all he had. That moved me greatly. If everyone active on the forum donated the price of a cup of coffee (literally!) once a month, there'd be zero problem at all.

Last edited by RunningDeer; 8th August 2017 at 13:26.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th January 2017), Billy (1st March 2017), Debra (10th January 2017), Foxie Loxie (10th January 2017), Hervé (14th January 2017), Ol' Roy (18th January 2017), seehas (10th January 2017)

9. Link to Post #45
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

"We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th January 2017), Billy (1st March 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th January 2017), Hervé (14th January 2017), RunningDeer (14th January 2017)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Quote Posted by Whiskey_Mystic (here)
    «I had promised you Bill that I would give whenever things would be better for me financially. Last years, the training industry has been going really down here in Quebec and truly, I was depressed, looking for a job, at an age when I should retire.

Well, I got that job I wanted and had apply for in different potential positions in different companies for years. And at a decent salary. I will get my first paycheck in two weeks.

Therefore, although I still have to pay my debts, I know I will be able to.

So I sent you a donation, a little compared to all the services, with this forum, you rendered me, my daughter, and all of us, directly or indirectly.

Hopefully it will help in sustaining a bit of the forum activities.

Please members and readers, who enjoy this forum in any form, give as you can.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

avid (14th January 2017), Bill Ryan (14th January 2017), Billy (1st March 2017), Daozen (14th January 2017), Daughter of Time (15th January 2017), fourty-two (25th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th January 2017), Hervé (14th January 2017), Ol' Roy (18th January 2017), RunningDeer (14th January 2017)

13. Link to Post #47
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,525 times in 32,788 posts

This part of my PM reply just now (which I've also added to a little here), to a wonderfully supportive and longstanding forum member, may be interesting. They had suggested the possible idea of making the forum at least partly subscription-based. (No, that's not going to happen. )

Hi there, and many thanks, as always. Quite a few years back (in the previous version of the forum, back in something like 2009, but that's entirely from memory), we did start a subscription for members, as a kind of experiment.

If I remember right, it was $5 a month, reduced to $1 (or a total waiver) if people simply wrote and told us that they really did have no money. It generated quite a lot of resentment and criticism, for reasons I completely understand. After less than a year, we canceled all that and reverted right back to the donations system.

I really don't think it's a good idea. We're dealing with logic vs. emotions here (as we often are!), and the emotions usually hold sway. It's how people feel that almost always counts. And that's totally real and valid, not some kind of illusion.

As I mentioned in my main post on the donations thread, most people really do expect stuff on the internet to be for free. A few silly critics out there already think I somehow get rich from Avalon — in some never-explained, mysterious way. If only they knew!

Added 'bonus' content can be subscription-based, just maybe, but much, or probably most, does need to be freely available. And I WANT it to be widely available, not locked up behind some paywall that excludes anyone at all.

It's our JOB to get information and awareness out there. It's NOT our job to earn money from all this. (I didn't come to Planet Earth to earn money. Neither did most of you, reading this now.)

As I always used to say in Project Camelot days, we can't sell this stuff, because no-one owns this information. (There's a very flawed concept of 'ownership' of conceptual, non-physical material that's widely prevalent in the western world, but that's entirely a different conversation.)

Radio shows like Coast to Coast, Jeff Rense, Caravan to Midnight, and (partly) Red Ice Radio all have a pay-to-access-the-archives (or even a pay-to-listen) scheme, and no-one has a problem with that because it's been that way for so long. Catherine Austin Fitts' website Solari.com is all behind a paywall. So are quite a few others. But when a change is made, then that's where you might get riots in the [virtual] streets.

My very strong pay-it-forward values are pretty much unshakably rock-solid. It all works out in the end, all part of the magical hologram of exchange in a myriad of different forms. We can never predict how the universe will pay us back, later, for the things we do unconditionally. (But, one still has to somehow pay the bills on time, as commercial service providers do not all work in this exact same way. )

With my warmest wishes, as always ~ Bill
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 15th January 2017 at 16:30.

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (16th January 2017), Billy (1st March 2017), Daughter of Time (15th January 2017), Ewan (1st April 2017), Foxie Loxie (17th January 2017), Hervé (15th January 2017), Magnus (15th January 2017), Mike (16th January 2017), naochan (18th January 2017), Nasu (26th January 2017), Ol' Roy (18th January 2017), RunningDeer (16th January 2017)

15. Link to Post #48
    Language
    Japanese
    Thanks

Bill,

I just sent something I could at the moment.

Considering everything I gained from being part of this community
    (including two wonderful friends I have met off-line), the amount
    doesn't do justice.

But I'll come back for it again. So, in a sense, it is a BUMP.
    Hopefully more people would take notice of this thread.

Love from snowy Eastern Ontario,

naomi
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to naochan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th January 2017), Billy (1st March 2017), Daughter of Time (18th January 2017), Foxie Loxie (18th January 2017), RunningDeer (18th January 2017)

17. Link to Post #49
    United States Avalon Member barneythez's Avatar
    Thanks

Come on members and non-members, Avalon needs money, and we need Avalon. /

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to barneythez For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th January 2017), Billy (1st March 2017), Foxie Loxie (26th January 2017), Nasu (26th January 2017), RunningDeer (26th January 2017)

19. Link to Post #50
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

We enter a new month.....time to renew our enthusiasm for Avalon!!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st February 2017), Billy (1st March 2017), RunningDeer (1st February 2017)

21. Link to Post #51
    Thanks

March Madness!!! Let's go WILD for Avalon!

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st March 2017), Billy (1st March 2017), Krist (1st March 2017), Michelle Marie (8th August 2017), RunningDeer (1st March 2017), ThePythonicCow (1st March 2017)

23. Link to Post #52
    Thanks

Hello, All! April Showers......Time to shower Avalon!

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th August 2017), Billy (4th August 2017), Ewan (1st April 2017), Michelle Marie (8th August 2017), RunningDeer (3rd April 2017), Whiskey_Mystic (20th May 2017)

25. Link to Post #53
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

Hi everyone, Just a reminder that the forum needs you for it to continue the great work.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th August 2017), Callista (8th August 2017), fourty-two (4th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2017), Michelle Marie (8th August 2017), Noelle (5th August 2017), Ol' Roy (8th August 2017), RunningDeer (4th August 2017)

27. Link to Post #54
    United States Avalon Member pabranno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 times in 319 posts

I have followed Avalon for years.
    I only recently became a regular contributor.
    After all I received, shame on me..
    But good for me for finally doing my part.
    Folks, it makes all the difference to me personally to know I am doing my part.
    I can't offer any great wisdom or sweaty grinding research, but I CAN pay a little something every month.
    It really makes me feel a part: I HIGHLY recommend it...

Pamela

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pabranno For This Post:

Baby Steps (5th August 2017), Bill Ryan (5th August 2017), Billy (5th August 2017), Callista (8th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th August 2017), Michelle Marie (8th August 2017), Noelle (5th August 2017), RunningDeer (5th August 2017)

29. Link to Post #55
    Thanks

One puts one's money where one's is!!!

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Billy (5th August 2017), Callista (8th August 2017), Michelle Marie (8th August 2017), pabranno (6th August 2017), RunningDeer (6th August 2017), ThePythonicCow (5th August 2017)

31. Link to Post #56
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,097 times in 2,584 posts

Got the message...will respond when able--within a week.

Bill, open to receive...consciously.

I've had to use this method when there was nothing to do but surrender. I've been living on miracles, and I fully expect you to receive some financial miracles in a big way.

Check in with us in one week and give us a report, will you?

Thanks,
    MM

PS. Don't let anyone take your hat. It looks good on you!
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th August 2017), Billy (8th August 2017), Callista (8th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (8th August 2017), kanishk (8th August 2017), Nasu (8th August 2017), Ol' Roy (8th August 2017), pabranno (8th August 2017), RunningDeer (8th August 2017)

33. Link to Post #57
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,568 times in 524 posts

You have my word that I will donate as soon as I can rustle some change together. I know it is an awkward topic, but I'd love to donate more once I am recovered enough to work. Thanks again to everybody who keeps this forum/community going. It changes people's lives for the better.
    Last edited by 7alon; 8th August 2017 at 03:34. Reason: Silly question

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 7alon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th August 2017), Billy (8th August 2017), Callista (8th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (8th August 2017), Michelle Marie (8th August 2017), Ol' Roy (8th August 2017), pabranno (8th August 2017), RunningDeer (8th August 2017)

35. Link to Post #58
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Newer members may very understandably not be fully aware of the costs of the forum. Like a great deal of material on the net, we all (me, too) kind of unthinkingly assume it should somehow all be free, like some kind of globally sponsored public service.

And for those who work everyday to add real value, there are a number of ways that many people try to monetize what they do: subscription newsletters, subscription interviews, dreadful advertising all over the place. I've always flatly refused to do that.

My whole philosophy has been to pay it forward. The traditional protocol of exchange is:
    "I have something, and you want it. Okay, first give me some money, or something in return, and then, and only then, I'll let you have it."
    That's never sat naturally with me. Whatever planet I come from, I think works in a different way. (This may not be just a joke. )

I've always contributed what I can, simply because that's the only thing to do. As Alan Watts famously said on his Sausalito houseboat back in the 70s, pointing to a passing seagull: "I teach, just as that bird flies."

Then, in some other way, the return flow comes, often quite unexpectedly. In the early days of Project Camelot, Kerry Cassidy and I always worked that way, assuming that the donations would come in if we just published everything for free. (And, they did.)

Tens of thousands of people still watch the old Camelot videos, which were among the best and most valuable on the net at the time. Some of them are still important classics. Project Camelot still receives donations from people watching those — but I don't, and when Camelot receives a gift, it's impossible to know what's prompted it: something old, or something new.

Not a problem, truly, and I rarely think about it. But that's just a little background, about how I've kind of disconnected myself from that valuable stream of gifts. Mea culpa, in some ways.

The forum here is small by many internet standards, but the quality is solid gold. I'm immensely proud of it, and of the entire community here. It's a huge library. And in our community we have some of the highest quality people one could ever wish to get to know. The moderators team is solid gold, too, and they work tirelessly to keep the forum working as impeccably as possible. No-one receives a penny for this. Their reward is the great satisfaction they get from helping.

I know that many of you reading this are yourselves not at all rich. The most generous donations sometimes come from people with very little to their name. I once got a donation, with a lovely note, from a young man in Poland who sent $1.20 and apologized that it was all he had. That moved me greatly. If everyone active on the forum donated the price of a cup of coffee (literally!) once a month, there'd be zero problem at all.

Last edited by RunningDeer; 20th August 2020 at 18:28.

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

7alon (16th August 2017), Bill Ryan (8th August 2017), Billy (8th August 2017), Callista (8th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (8th August 2017), Michelle Marie (8th August 2017)

37. Link to Post #59
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 times in 476 posts

Just sent $20 via paypal. My old email on paypal, but it does not matter, it still went through. Hope this little drop in the ocean helps. Than you Bill for your hard work and that of the Moderators. .

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to findingneo For This Post:

7alon (16th August 2017), Bill Ryan (8th August 2017), Billy (8th August 2017), Callista (8th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (8th August 2017), Michelle Marie (8th August 2017), pabranno (8th August 2017)

39. Link to Post #60
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

For those preferring to pay by other means, I can handle donations in the form of cash sent through the postal service, checks drawn on US banks, bitcoin or ethereum crypto-currency, wire transfers, money orders, and (a new convenience for those using cash) Amazon Cash. Whatever money I receive in such ways, I pass along to Bill's Paypal account, and then I send a PM to both the sender and Bill, letting them know the donation was received and thanking the donor.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 8th August 2017 at 19:07.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

40. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

7alon (16th August 2017), Bill Ryan (8th August 2017), Billy (8th August 2017), Callista (9th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (8th August 2017), Hervé (8th August 2017), Kristin (15th August 2017), Michelle Marie (8th August 2017), Mike (25th August 2017), naochan (25th August 2017), pabranno (8th August 2017), RunningDeer (8th August 2017), Stephanie (15th August 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 3 10 LastLast