+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brian Cox's 'Wonders of the Universe'

1. Link to Post #1
    Ireland Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Brian Cox's 'Wonders of the Universe'

Hello

In case anyone is interested! This new series is starting on Sunday at 9pm on BBC 2. Its a follow on from his 'Wonders of the Solar System' and I think visually it will be stunning to watch! The series is, in his own words about ' the laws that govern the universe. The first episode is about time and the future of the universe and its past". You can watch it live on the internet (with a licence), not sure about outside the UK though!

blue

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Post:

bodixa (7th March 2011), Chelle (4th March 2011), Corncrake (4th March 2011), Gardener (7th March 2011), Lord Sidious (4th March 2011), The One (7th March 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Brian Cox's 'Wonders of the Universe'

It's like Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' reborn with new eloquence, new lenses, new CGI techniques. Very glorious with an very intelligent and personable cosmologist/presenter.
    ... Expressing the faith that a massive 14 billion year old explosion woke up and became aware of itself (in us, and how many other beings) by an innumerable series of random accidents. I know that's an over-simplification but .... Hmmmm ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrmalco For This Post:

Blue (5th March 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

That does look good, just saw a trailer for it on youtube.

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

I am interested in Brian Cox (being from Oldham myself) and his work with the LHC.
    Interesting quote he made about the LHC “Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a twat.” – Brian Cox

http://www.astroengine.com/2008/09/b...rld-is-a-twat/
    Daily Mail
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...Wednesday.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Circe For This Post:

Blue (5th March 2011)

8. Link to Post #5
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

As much as I enjoy these types of programs, I can't help but feel a certain reinforcement in parts of the paradigm, with lots of data being used from NASA sources.

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Circe (here)
    Interesting quote he made about the LHC “Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a twat.” – Brian Cox
    Ha! Classic!

10. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mesta0ptik (here)
    As much as I enjoy these types of programs, I can't help but feel a certain reinforcement in parts of the paradigm, with lots of data being used from NASA sources.
    Hmmm Brian cox was on the "T.V. talk show circuit" here in the UK over the past few years,such shows as the Graham Norton show etc.. Mr.Cox mentioned numerous times that we (Human population) should be worried about " Rogue huge asteroid[s]" hitting the Earth and wiping mankind out.

So now you have a nice scientist who everybody loves who comes on to our TV screens and warns the cattle [cough] people about such a threat,Now the cattle [cough] people are worried so they want protection, Answer = Obama space wars program [getting weapons into space to destroy such threats].

"PROBLEM REACTION SOLUTION" ? makes you think.....

11. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Hiya,

After much excitement and anticipation waiting for this programme to be screened I was left very disappointed last night after watching the episode, I usually really enjoy watching programmes by Brian Cox but last night in my opinion it was really negative full of doom and gloom.

Most of the time he was talking about how the universe will eventually die in trillions and trillions and trillions and trillions ("shall i go on like he did? lol") of years because of the arrow of time always goes forward but never goes back!!! ("time machine perhaps? worm hole? star gate?" )

Every star that you see in the sky will eventually die. The Sun will die in billions of years and make life impossible to live on in Earth killing everything, as when the sun dies it increases in size so would be closer to the earth. (blah blah blah)!!

He never once explained about all of the new stars that form in the universe??

Also as the sun increases in size it would lose its gravitational strength so would we not move further away as it grows in size?

Also who beleives in the big bang theory?? The universe started from nothing? - Yeah right give me a break - to create anything you need a catalyst, a creation is created by some thing. The universe and life is a creation it doesnt just happen.

So in conclusion if you know nothing about the universe and had never watched a programme like this before this would freek you out big time!!

Haven't we got enough doom and gloom in the world already?? look at all the negativity that is happening even on here lately (since charles joined...ahem) lets bring in the light!!

I really hope the next episode is alot better, rant over lol

Have a great day.

Scott
    Last edited by scootiep; 7th March 2011 at 10:08.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to scootiep For This Post:

Blue (7th March 2011)

13. Link to Post #9
    NinjaPhil

Watched it just now, I thought it was ok but I was surprised about how little actual content was in the show - rather mostly shots of Brian looking thoughtful around campfires etc. Overall I like what they are trying to do and hope that the next episodes are a little more intelligent about content and message.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NinjaPhil For This Post:

Blue (7th March 2011)

15. Link to Post #10
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,990 times in 1,091 posts

I am interested in Brian Cox (being from Oldham myself) and his work with the LHC.

Daily Mail
    Days before the first Abomb test, Edward Teller was taking bets that the exploding Abomb would set the entire atmosphere on fire......they went ahead with the tests.

Maybe they knew the test results from the supposed Nazi atomic test?

16. Link to Post #11
    Ireland Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Yes, I agree! There was not that much content in this episode but it certainly set the scene, its definitely watchable. I sort of liked the doom and gloom aspect and found it oddly life -affirming . . the idea that our planet, our universe is only here for a little speck of time and we are not the big picture by a long shot. Made me smile!

17. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

I thought it was brilliant, the rest of the series should be even better,it was on at peak time too,ive just been reading w.s. paulis (nobel physicist in the 50s) view that physics is incomplete without psychology fused to it, fascinating stuff, source is Jungs and Paulis book ON the Nature and intepretation of the psyche.And as for Brian Cox hes getting there....

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shijo For This Post:

Blue (7th March 2011), Gardener (7th March 2011)

19. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by NinjaPhil (here)
    Watched it just now, I thought it was ok but I was surprised about how little actual content was in the show - rather mostly shots of Brian looking thoughtful around campfires etc. Overall I like what they are trying to do and hope that the next episodes are a little more intelligent about content and message.
    I agree NinjaPhil not really that much content at all, Brian was talking mostly about time and the arrow of time he concentrated alot of his time on the death aspect of the life cycle which i thought was negative but thats life I suppose, maybe he started on the negative for the first episode and maybe it is buiding up to something more positive and entertaining to the viewer.

Quote Posted by Blue (here)
    Yes, I agree! There was not that much content in this episode but it certainly set the scene, its definitely watchable. I sort of liked the doom and gloom aspect and found it oddly life -affirming . . the idea that our planet, our universe is only here for a little speck of time and we are not the big picture by a long shot. Made me smile!
    I agree Blue it is most watchable indeed I won't be put off by the first episode not to watch the 2nd, programmes like this are what is needed on main screen television to open peoples minds up who don't usually watch programmes like this, we are indeed tiny tiny specks of time, to other beings in space our life time is probably like a day to them. We are so small in the grand scheme of things, why do we think we are so special? to think we are the only intelligent life in the universe is unbelieveable in itself.

Quote Posted by shijo (here)
    I thought it was brilliant, the rest of the series should be even better,it was on at peak time too,ive just been reading w.s. paulis (nobel physicist in the 50s) view that physics is incomplete without psychology fused to it, fascinating stuff, source is Jungs and Paulis book ON the Nature and intepretation of the psyche.And as for Brian Cox hes getting there....
    How brilliant is it that people can watch the same programme and have different opinions on it, this is what makes us human i'm really looking forward to the rest of the series too.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scootiep For This Post:

Blue (7th March 2011), shijo (7th March 2011)

21. Link to Post #14
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Quote Posted by Icecold (here)

Daily Mail
    Days before the first Abomb test, Edward Teller was taking bets that the exploding Abomb would set the entire atmosphere on fire......they went ahead with the tests.

Maybe they knew the test results from the supposed Nazi atomic test?
    Even more so, they had some of the German bombs and their inventors.

+ Reply to Thread