+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Researchers Announce Discovery of Site of Fabled City of Atlantis

1. Link to Post #1
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 times in 727 posts

Default Researchers Announce Discovery of Site of Fabled City of Atlantis

Today scholars announced what they believe is the discovery of the ancient city of Atlantis - in a huge swamp in Spain! Check it out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_tsunami_atlantis

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Ahkenaten For This Post:

Amenjo (12th March 2011), astrid (13th March 2011), buckminster fuller (12th March 2011), Cottage Rose (13th March 2011), giovonni (12th March 2011), Holly Lindin (13th March 2011), Icecold (13th March 2011), kersley (20th March 2011), Lefty Dave (13th March 2011), Maria Stade (12th March 2011), modwiz (12th March 2011), sandy (13th March 2011), starsmoonmtns (13th March 2011), str8thinker (13th March 2011), sunflower (17th March 2011), Swanette (12th March 2011), Teakai (13th March 2011), winnasboy (13th March 2011), zelda (13th March 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member cloud9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,796 times in 663 posts

Default Re: Researchers Announce Discovery of Site of Fabled City of Atlantis

I hate articles with no pictures but thank you Ahkenaten for the link.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cloud9 For This Post:

Icecold (13th March 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ahkenaten (here)
    Today scholars announced what they believe is the discovery of the ancient city of Atlantis - in a huge swamp in Spain! Check it out:

Very interesting, Ahk! Thank you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DawgBone For This Post:

Ahkenaten (13th March 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Bluebird's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you Ahkenaten for this link. Very interesting! Will look forward to following this story

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebird For This Post:

9. Link to Post #5
    Sweden Avalon Member Maria Stade's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,626 times in 854 posts

Thank you Ahk
    Here is something for you !

Have a great weekend !

Love

Maria

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maria Stade For This Post:

Ahkenaten (13th March 2011), giovonni (12th March 2011), Icecold (13th March 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Lightbulb Re: Researchers Announce Discovery of Site of Fabled City of Atlantis

Reminder for those who have cable access

Finding Atlantis
    Next PrimeTime Airing Sun Mar 13 9P Sun Mar 13 8P Sun Mar 13 7P Sun Mar 13 9P

Read more: http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...#ixzz1GQddYFd9

12. Link to Post #7
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Made you look, made you look!

Mention Atlantis and you will get noticed. An ancient city of Atlantean culture is more like it.

Given the enormity of influence of this civilization, anywhere on the peripheral Atlantic coasts is a reasonable place to find their presence.

These scholars have now gotten their 15 minutes of fame.

13. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Yea, good point Mod. It's good that they've found more evidence of old societies and who knows maybe a location where an artifact will show up out of left field. Let's just not let these guys spin us off our barstool.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rog For This Post:

Icecold (13th March 2011)

15. Link to Post #9
    Australia Avalon Member str8thinker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 times in 530 posts

I'd like a dollar every time someone claims to have found "Atlantis". Why is this lost city necessarily Atlantis? Did they find a submerged gate or monument with Atlantis inscribed on it? It's a nice find, but until that happens, let's just call it a "memorial city" as the original article says. My favorite sites right now are in the West Indies and also off the West coast of India. It would be great to know how many of these are antediluvian (before the Great Flood, or earlier than 10000 BCE).
    Beware the bearers of FALSE gifts & their BROKEN PROMISES. Much PAIN but still time. BELIEVE. There is GOOD out there. We OPpose DECEPTION. COnduit CLOSING.
    - Crabwood crop circle, 2002.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to str8thinker For This Post:

Holly Lindin (13th March 2011), modwiz (13th March 2011), winnasboy (13th March 2011)

17. Link to Post #10
    Australia Avalon Member TWINNICK's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes I think there is tons of stuff under the sea's which we have yet to discover, I have only had a quick look at this but I do like Graham Hancock's work, check it out and see what you think.

..Nick..

http://www.grahamhancock.com/archive/underworld/

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TWINNICK For This Post:

Ahkenaten (13th March 2011), Holly Lindin (13th March 2011), modwiz (13th March 2011)

19. Link to Post #11
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

sweet! now we can turn archeologist to finding Mu, and Lemuria.

20. Link to Post #12
    Deactivated
    Thanks

I would like to point out the obvious - that Schliemann was not an expert in his field but a person with a profound hunch that he knew the location of the fabled city of Troy. If I remember the story correctly his hunch was based upon a dream he had. Turned out he was correct! It doesn't hurt at all for people of all stripes and inclinations, including those without professional degrees in anthropology or archeology, to pursue their hunches! It is between them and their patrons whether it is felt the hunches have enough merit to actually fund an expedition and excavation. Sometimes, such as in the case of Howard Carter and his patron Lord Carnavon, they are lucky! At the end when they almost gave up, they discovered King Tut's Tomb! Then there was the case of Hiram Bingham, a historian, who discovered the Lost City of the Incas, Machu Picchu, in Peru. It is the glorious old tradition of the adventurer following his hunches and his dreams - and sometimes, indeed, it does pan out....for the historians, the archeologists, AND the investors!! The first written record of Atlantis is in the writings of Plato in the Timaeus written before the birth of Christ. In this book Plato described the fabled lost city, apparently based upon an interview with Egyptian Priests. People have been looking for Atlantis everywhere from in the Mediterranean to the Canary Islands and beyond. The characteristic layout of the City, according to Plato was concentric rings. The current focus on the swamp in Spain is upon SOMETHING with a similar design, apparently - and also that, according to those involved in the project, there are other cities in the region that seem to mimic that design. Dr. Rainer Kuehne who is at the heart of this quest does believe it may be Atlantis and has many articles written on the subject. Turns out someone in the establishment thought the idea had enough merit to fund an expedition!! We shall see if he, like Howard Carter and others in the past, are onto something!! I say, good luck to them. It would be fabulously interesting if there were to be discovered to be, as was the case with Troy, an historic basis for Plato's story about Atlantis! It also could have other implications, if it were discovered to be in what is now Spain given some interesting anomalies in certain people of that part of the world.

Hey, can't hurt to check it out!!

OK for those who like pictures, check out this article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3766863.stm

Of course people have looked for Atlantis literally all around the world

http://atlantis.haktanir.org/ch9.html
    Last edited by Ahkenaten; 13th March 2011 at 02:50.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ahkenaten For This Post:

Maria Stade (13th March 2011), Rog (16th March 2011), str8thinker (13th March 2011), TWINNICK (13th March 2011)

22. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member johnf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,364 times in 1,115 posts

Graham Hancock as well as others have shown that there are submerged ruins pretty much all around the world.
    Atlantis is probably not the only ancient civilization that has ruins out there.
    I expect this is part of a string em along policy that has been picking up speed in the last couple of years.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to johnf For This Post:

Holly Lindin (13th March 2011)

24. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Jonathan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,241 times in 267 posts

Step 1. Engineered earthquakes & Hoaxed discoveries.

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/proje...m25jul05.shtml
    Everything that the establishment has told you is wrong with you - is more likely what's right with you.

25. Link to Post #15
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Whether the National Geographic special on Atlantis airing tomorrow is cynically capitalizing on people's naivete concerning Atlantis or whether the team looking in Southern Spain for Atlantis is exploiting sensational information and is a "hoaxed discovery" or not, I can't say, nor would I say that is necessarily a distraction or that it is misleading. This subject has fascinated people for thousands of years and I expect Atlantis will continue to fascinate for thousands more years - even after it is finally discovered. I think the story now - especially with its elements about the ancient city being decimated by a tsunami even though 60 miles inland - is especially fascinating. As an aside it also is interesting that part of Spain is very prone to massive tsunamis, having suffered one "ten stories high" in the past.
    Last edited by Ahkenaten; 13th March 2011 at 03:32.

26. Link to Post #16
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 times in 687 posts

It is my understanding that Atlantis was several interconnected islands with the minor ones sinking before the big one also went under. So, while this may have belong to Atlantis, it may not be only be part of the smaller island or even a sunken outpost of that once great civilization.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Soul For This Post:

28. Link to Post #17
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I would like to point out the obvious - that Schliemann was not an expert in his field but a person with a profound hunch that he knew the location of the fabled city of Troy. If I remember the story correctly his hunch was based upon a dream he had. Turned out he was correct! It doesn't hurt at all for people of all stripes and inclinations, including those without professional degrees in anthropology or archeology, to pursue their hunches! It is between them and their patrons whether it is felt the hunches have enough merit to actually fund an expedition and excavation. Sometimes, such as in the case of Howard Carter and his patron Lord Carnavon, they are lucky! At the end when they almost gave up, they discovered King Tut's Tomb! Then there was the case of Hiram Bingham, a historian, who discovered the Lost City of the Incas, Machu Picchu, in Peru. It is the glorious old tradition of the adventurer following his hunches and his dreams - and sometimes, indeed, it does pan out....for the historians, the archeologists, AND the investors!! The first written record of Atlantis is in the writings of Plato in the Timaeus written before the birth of Christ. In this book Plato described the fabled lost city, apparently based upon an interview with Egyptian Priests. People have been looking for Atlantis everywhere from in the Mediterranean to the Canary Islands and beyond. The characteristic layout of the City, according to Plato was concentric rings. The current focus on the swamp in Spain is upon SOMETHING with a similar design, apparently - and also that, according to those involved in the project, there are other cities in the region that seem to mimic that design. Dr. Rainer Kuehne who is at the heart of this quest does believe it may be Atlantis and has many articles written on the subject. Turns out someone in the establishment thought the idea had enough merit to fund an expedition!! We shall see if he, like Howard Carter and others in the past, are onto something!! I say, good luck to them. It would be fabulously interesting if there were to be discovered to be, as was the case with Troy, an historic basis for Plato's story about Atlantis! It also could have other implications, if it were discovered to be in what is now Spain given some interesting anomalies in certain people of that part of the world.

Hey, can't hurt to check it out!!

OK for those who like pictures, check out this article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3766863.stm

Of course people have looked for Atlantis literally all around the world

http://atlantis.haktanir.org/ch9.html
    I looked at the photos. I'm thinking it's Gondor.

29. Link to Post #18
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Whether the National Geographic special on Atlantis airing tomorrow is cynically capitalizing on people's naivete concerning Atlantis or whether the team looking in Southern Spain for Atlantis is exploiting sensational information and is a "hoaxed discovery" or not, I can't say, nor would I say that is necessarily a distraction or that it is misleading. This subject has fascinated people for thousands of years and I expect Atlantis will continue to fascinate for thousands more years - even after it is finally discovered. I think the story now - especially with its elements about the ancient city being decimated by a tsunami even though 60 miles inland - is especially fascinating.
    It's not cynical. It's brilliant marketing typical of corporations involved in every part of our lives, including "scholarly" findings.

BTW Ahkie, your efforts here are appreciated. Keepin' it real is to keep a proper perspective.

30. Link to Post #19
    Deactivated
    Thanks

It's certainly a stretch but the Basques are a very interesting group in Spain, especially genetically. Also if one looks into their history, they called one group of people living in their area "the Egyptians." The root source of their language is unknown. Although at present the Basques live predominantly in the North of Spain, who knows where they came from in the ancient past? It is possible, and this is totally 100% hypothetical and as far as I know, no one has said anything about this - that they are the descendants of the Atlanteans.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ahkenaten For This Post:

Lord Sidious (13th March 2011), starsmoonmtns (13th March 2011), sunflower (17th March 2011)

32. Link to Post #20
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks

It's certainly a stretch but the Basques are a very interesting group in Spain, especially genetically. Also if one looks into their history, they called one group of people living in their area "the Egyptians." The root source of their language is unknown. Although at present the Basques live predominantly in the North of Spain, who knows where they came from in the ancient past? It is possible, and this is totally 100% hypothetical and as far as I know, no one has said anything about this - that they are the descendants of the Atlanteans.
    You have my complete support there Ahk. I believe the Basques are related to the Atlanteans in a strong genetic and linguistic way

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast