Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The longing for a new Arthurian figure

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

Default Re:  The longing for a new Arthurian figure

Quote Posted by Icecold (here)
    I would put Charles in the role of Merlin.
    The ascended who was known as Merlin has nothing in common with Charles as Charles possesses knowledge, but neither wisdom nor mastery. This is my observation.
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

Icecold (24th March 2011), Lord Sidious (24th March 2011), Peacelovinman (24th March 2011), witchy1 (15th April 2011)

3. Link to Post #22
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Default Re: The longing for a new Arthurian figure

Quote Posted by str8thinker (here)
    Interesting thread. No account of Arthur should omit the role of Merlin; the two, as they say, are inextricably entwined.

Without meaning to go off-topic, the BBC a year or two ago produced a documentary Merlin: The Legend (which you can find on BitTorrent). It's a great doco.

Quote Merlin is the archetypal wizard: Welsh and Celtic in origin, but with connections in Cornwall and middle Europe and, of course, the Arthurian legends. Merlin is clearly the distant relative of Dumbledore and all those weird and wonderful wizards that people our literature.

The documentary traces Merlin’s continuing presence in arts and culture across the world right up to the present day, through blockbuster films, videogames or New Age gatherings at Stonehenge. He offers something beyond mundane daily life. It’s magic. It’s irresistible.
    I wonder how much Merlin is needed as a device to tell the Arthurian story. In other words, to what extent was King Arthur's legend spread without the presence of Merlin to tell it? Maybe one of you scholars can answer this.
    I won't claim to be a scholar but I have some grounding in this subject. The Merlins would have been part of the druid tradition and as such have something to do with the bards who were history keepers by way of song and verse.

In many ways the Merlin would have played a role somewhat paralleling that of a bishop or cardinal to a king of a christian country. So as a guide to history it also fell on such types to record and/or narrate this history.

4. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

We don't want kings, to be sure, any more than we want knights in shing armour, but we do want forum owners and members doing various different jobs. I think one of the stumbling blocks people face is all the seemingly contradictory info they are getting from others on very different assignments. I once used the analogy of the storm-tossed ship - some will be moving up while others are moving down, but it's still the same wave hitting the same boat. King Arthur is not a king in the ordinary sense of the word, he isactually someone else's squire (the word means stable lad!) and only picks the sword out of the stone to give to his knight.
    Interestingly the name Arthur is linked to Arcturus, the Bear, and Arctic, the northern parts where the skies are governed by the Great Bear - and the Little Bear too, where resides the guide star, Polaris.

5. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 times in 407 posts

im sorry folks but this and similar threads stink of desperation.
    and being led up the garden path.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the trojan For This Post:

jjl (24th March 2011)

7. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

On Merlin as story teller, in The Once and Future King, the story teller is another squire, Tom, alias the future Thomas Mallory, whom Arthur orders off the final battlefield precisely in order to live and tell the tale. In other words, he is Ishmael in Moby Dick, the only survivor of a catastrophe who is saved by a floating coffin.
    The current situation may indeed be Arthurianly desperate, but the story-teller is neither being led or leading up any garden paths, just saying it how he sees it as a survivor.

8. Link to Post #26
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member Victoria Tintagel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote THE LONGING FOR A NEW ARTHURIAN FIGURE
    TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT – A NEW CAMELOT
    Hey Avaloneans, well... isn't waiting for a Messias figure part of the old paradigm?
    Waiting to make things right?
    Is this what we are really waiting for? Uhmmm, don't think so, uh uh
    Isn't king Arthur's life and works an example of a living Christ Consciousness being in training.....?
    Wasn't his life a try out of this principle of freedom, equality and brotherhood?
    Like was repeated in the French revolution? Tried out anew NOW?
    We Avaloneans are all king Arthurs and queen Guineveres, lets live up to their example, what they stand for and see what happens?
    The king and queen in us are the sovereign royal aspects in us, happy to return to a working mode.
    Be in grace, Victoria Tintagel.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Victoria Tintagel For This Post:

Maria Stade (24th March 2011)

10. Link to Post #27
    Sweden Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,114 times in 1,725 posts

Quote Posted by Victoria Tintagel (here)
    Quote THE LONGING FOR A NEW ARTHURIAN FIGURE
    TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT – A NEW CAMELOT
    Hey Avaloneans, well... isn't waiting for a Messias figure part of the old paradigm?
    Waiting to make things right?
    Is this what we are really waiting for? Uhmmm, don't think so, uh uh
    Isn't king Arthur's life and works an example of a living Christ Consciousness being in training.....?
    Wasn't his life a try out of this principle of freedom, equality and brotherhood?
    Like was repeated in the French revolution? Tried out anew NOW?
    We Avaloneans are all king Arthurs and queen Guineveres, lets live up to their example, what they stand for and see what happens?
    The king and queen in us are the sovereign royal aspects in us, happy to return to a working mode.
    Be in grace, Victoria Tintagel.
    Dear Victoria. Be a little bit realistic please. This has to be in the context

of the old paradigm, as the new paradigm would demand stepping out

into the unknown and thats toooooooooo insecure. So when we have

in a democratic manner choosen the leading group we will have to

agree on some forcing rules and then we have to discuss how we shall

avoid to mention the unimportant issue of freedom. I think that as it is

the future of Gaia that is at stake maybye everybody could sacrifice

their freedom for the greater good of the cause. And then we just have to get

into actions. This way I think we could erase the PTB and take care of all

the necessary adjustments in the populations ourself. Just kidding I hope you

understand. But Ive seen such tendencies on PA lately and if we get our own

authority we wont need any enemy.

With authority freedom is impossible

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jorr lundstrom For This Post:

Icecold (24th March 2011)

12. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Member jjl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 times in 544 posts

Quote Posted by Whiskey_Mystic (here)
    The ascended who was known as Merlin has nothing in common with Charles as Charles possesses knowledge, but neither wisdom nor mastery. This is my observation.
    I think Charles's master is Merlin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jjl For This Post:

Icecold (24th March 2011)

14. Link to Post #29
    TimelessDimensions

You, me, and everyone on this planet are their own saviors

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TimelessDimensions For This Post:

Gaia (28th March 2011), jjl (24th March 2011), Lord Sidious (24th March 2011), thunder24 (24th March 2011), Victoria Tintagel (27th March 2011)

16. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Quote Posted by jjl (here)
    Quote Posted by Whiskey_Mystic (here)
    I think Charles's master is Merlin
    As in a work of fiction...?

17. Link to Post #31
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,327 times in 653 posts

We've been there and done that ten thousand times or more throughout human history. We need to evolve to the next level where the people, as a united and organized group, lead themselves. An Arthurian leader can only save us temporarily. It's like giving a man a fish -- you only feed him for one day. Teach him to fish, and he will feed himself for the rest of his life.

18. Link to Post #32
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member Victoria Tintagel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote jorr lundstrom: Dear Victoria. Be a little bit realistic please. This has to be in the context
    of the old paradigm, as the new paradigm would demand stepping out
    into the unknown and thats toooooooooo insecure.
    Oh well.....I am going about in a joking manner, I warn you jorr!
    Hmm, uhmmmm, my deeeeeear jorr... Do you know to whom you're talking to?
    Take care of my jester's arrows that hit "auchh" spots in visitors of my courtyard, the playground of Dutchess Tintagel of Avalon.
    Hmmm? Be a little bit realistic? Ahem, in my noble nsho, the crux of our stepping into a next level of evolution is our surrendering
    to the unknown. Three times hurray! It's part of the game ordeal...eh...deal There is no other way, I believe, because by doing
    exactly THAT we will remember.... awaken to the truth of who we are. It's like creating the road, by placing one foot in front of the other.

What's the main thing that forces us to grow? All the unwelcome emotions and turmoil, chaos, disasters, in our lives.
    We humans, including this Dutchess joker, are so very stubborn and downright stupid! We don't need to be an Arabic moslima to wear a veil, we are invited to tear that thing to pieces and be dare devils, looking in wonder to new vistas. Insecure? Of course it feels that way, sometimes....so what? Being vulnerable doesn't stop me, jorr, neither does insecurity or lack of control. The label weakness is just a conviction, nothing more. Life is so much more enjoyable, in that way. Like children are, not knowing at all what the next moment will bring, wonderful
    Please...no more Messian figure... we have already internalised all those Messian qualities and that safety is in numbers. This is how I look at this "Longing for a new Arthurian figure" thread, jorr. Be in grace, Victoria Tintagel.

19. Link to Post #33
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,990 times in 1,091 posts

Thank you. You've made your point.

Oh yes, Jorr beware of jokers with a sting in their tail.

Back to topic......

20. Link to Post #34
    Scotland Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lord Sidious (here)
    Quote Posted by linz2d (here)
    Quote Similarly, ‘Round Tables‘ – jousting and dancing in imitation of Arthur and his knights – occurred at least 8 times in England between 1242 and 1345, including one held by Edward I in 1284 to celebrate his conquest of Wales and consequent ‘re-unification’ of Arthurian Britain. The Galfridian claim that Arthur conquered Scotland was also used by Edward I to provide legitimacy to his claims of English suzerainty over that region.
    I find this amusing because it was said that King Robert the Bruce used the Arthurian legends and the classical tales to inspire his troops to fight against the English occupation and to reclaim Scotland. So it was used on both sides of the border.
    Robert de Brus was a norman, not a Scot.
    Well you are not wrong with calling him a Norman it is like calling Edward I Norman but Good King Robert is also 50% Gaelic from his mother, Marjorie Countess of Carrick. He was born in Scotland and spoke fluent Gaelic among other languages.

Before the death of King Alexander III of Scotland, England and Scottish nobility where on very friendly terms with many Scottish nobles having lands in England and many of the English nobility having lands in Scotland.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to linz2d For This Post:

Icecold (27th March 2011), Lord Sidious (27th March 2011)

22. Link to Post #35
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Quote Posted by Lord Sidious (here)
    Quote Similarly, ‘Round Tables‘ – jousting and dancing in imitation of Arthur and his knights – occurred at least 8 times in England between 1242 and 1345, including one held by Edward I in 1284 to celebrate his conquest of Wales and consequent ‘re-unification’ of Arthurian Britain. The Galfridian claim that Arthur conquered Scotland was also used by Edward I to provide legitimacy to his claims of English suzerainty over that region.
    I find this amusing because it was said that King Robert the Bruce used the Arthurian legends and the classical tales to inspire his troops to fight against the English occupation and to reclaim Scotland. So it was used on both sides of the border.
    Robert de Brus was a norman, not a Scot.
    Well you are not wrong with calling him a Norman it is like calling Edward I Norman but Good King Robert is also 50% Gaelic from his mother, Marjorie Countess of Carrick. He was born in Scotland and spoke fluent Gaelic among other languages.

Before the death of King Alexander III of Scotland, England and Scottish nobility where on very friendly terms with many Scottish nobles having lands in England and many of the English nobility having lands in Scotland.
    I would bet that if we tracked the norman bloodlines, they are connected.
    What do you reckon?

23. Link to Post #36
    Scotland Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote I would bet that if we tracked the norman bloodlines, they are connected.
    What do you reckon?
    Well yes and no, from what I understand almost all of the Scottish Nobility took on the customs of the Normans they also married their daughters to Norman nobility to attain alliances and visa versa. However customs are one thing and maintaining the bloodline through a male heir is another, what you find in Scotland is that we have a healthy mix of both Gaelic and Norman Surnames. So many Gaelic/Celtic bloodline still do survive. In the case of Robert the Bruce's mother the story goes she actually held Roberts father captive until he agreed to marry her.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to linz2d For This Post:

Lord Sidious (28th March 2011)

25. Link to Post #37
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,709 times in 914 posts

Maybe all is not lost in shadow after all...

Thanks to Mikey1 for this.

Visit this site...

http://kingarthurslegacy.com/

I think Bill needs to talk to these gentlemen sometime soon!
    Last edited by Lettherebelight; 15th April 2011 at 10:12.

26. Link to Post #38
    New Zealand Avalon Member witchy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,712 times in 1,183 posts

I was reading some old Alchemy texts the other day and came across a very old entry where speaking of King Arthur - they were describing the situation of his poisoning, and he subsequently died. The old Alchemists were called, who felt they could resurrect him and they started their procedures. Then a new set of Alchemeists came in, the original ones were tossed out and he did indeed rise him from the dead stronger than before as was anticipated. (no it wasnt Merlin) probably they used the philosophers stone. I'll see if I can find it ......... If this is the case then there wont be a grave - he lives on.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to witchy1 For This Post:

Lettherebelight (15th April 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2