+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Thread: I Want To Be Homeless

1. Link to Post #21
    TimelessDimensions

Default Re: I Want To Be Homeless

If you want to be homeless in style, go into the wilderness

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TimelessDimensions For This Post:

Davidallany (1st April 2011), pharoah21 (31st March 2011), Real Intent (31st March 2011), Victoria Tintagel (31st March 2011)

3. Link to Post #22
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 times in 509 posts

excuse me for being obtuse,, but not only is this thread in complete bad taste,,,,,it has the silliest and most pointless thread title i think i have ever come across........

IMO not only should the thread have remained closed but it should be taken down alltogether and the poster should have a real good reality check..

In fact i think i personally feel so strongly about this thread that if issues like this are going to be allowed to be tendered in such a mindless and demeaning manner then i think i will consider taking my status elsewhere...

THERE ARE INNOCENTS ALL OVER THIS PLANET THAT THIS THREAD IS COMPLETELY DEMEANING TOWARDS AND I THINK SOME IN HERE SHOULD GO TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK IN THE MIRROR,,,,,,

AND may i also suggest the poster of this thread gets off his/her latent backside and before making such a bewildering and idle comment,,, put on a pair of shoes,,,

while i go off to decide whether project avalon is actually a place where i should be a member

4. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,384 times in 633 posts

i think you need to draw a few distinctions.

there is a difference between, living off the grid, travelling, giving up attachment to possesions, and being homeless.
    massive factors are climate, and location, and also if you're on your own, or have people to look after.

if you dont mind me saying, i reckon you have an 'on the outside looking in' view of 'homelessness'.
    ive been homeless myself once or twice, and served food in a soup kitchen years later.
    its not pretty at all.
    i reckon most people are two baths away from being a tramp.
    in the winter its freezing cold.
    its easy to think of living off the grid, or being homeless, when you're lying in your nice warm bed.
    some things about the idea of it are very good. but they are surounded by a 101 practical realities that few stop to consider.
    try camping in your garden for a month, without going back to the house.

steve
    when i went there nothing happened!, i was bored out of my mind..................in the Twilight Zone.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SKAWF For This Post:

Heartsong (31st March 2011), Icecold (31st March 2011), Lord Sidious (31st March 2011), Real Intent (31st March 2011), seko (19th July 2011), shijo (31st March 2011), Sierra (31st March 2011)

6. Link to Post #24
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,990 times in 1,091 posts

Tsk tsk.

I missed it.

OK I can see one member is missing.

In Australia we have a website dedicated to the homeless....why?

We have a lot of homeless people in the 'lucky country'.

http://www.homeless.org.au/

Beyond the Homeless Myth

People who don't have shelter are houseless - not homeless! Homelessness has nothing to do with a lack of shelter.

Define Homeless: 'An inadequate experience of connectedness with family and or community,' (Dominic Mapstone). This fact is now recognized by Habitat, the United Nations Human Settlements Programme.

If the problem was a lack of shelters for the homeless why aren't all the homeless shelter always full? During winter they are more busy but more shelters won't solve the problem.

So often on the street I've seen people shake a set of keys with a big smile on their face saying 'I've got a place.' But often they end up spending most of their time on the streets anyway because they just don't know anyone else other than other homeless people and an empty room is very lonely.

Homelessness is about a lack of connectedness. Belonging somewhere is about belonging with other people. Like belonging to a family or local community.

The largest social demographic in first world countries that experiences homelessness are actually elderly people who are houseful. Quite often their spouse has died and their children live at a distance. They feel the same loneliness and abandonment as the person living on the street.

People in institutions including prisons or juvenile justice centres often feel the same loneliness or more accurately experience homelessness as the only people they have contact with other than the other 'homeless' inmates are people paid to be a part of their life. These people are the equivalent of people who work in soup kitchens or shelters on the streets.

Imagine that, only having contact with people who are paid to have contact with you! This is chronic homelessness

Picture of Homeless People from Around the World....

http://www.homeless.org.au/pictures/

Australia Homeless Statistics

The 2001 Population Census data:

99,900 houseless people in Australia (105,304 in 1996)
    54% adults over 24 years of age
    10% under the age of 12 years
    36% young people between 12 and 24 years
    42% of houseless people were female
    58% were single (58,116)
    19% were couples (18,840)
    23% were families (22,944 people or 6,745 families

Most common reasons for houselessness (SAAP survey):

Domestic and family violence (22%)
    Eviction/previous accommodation ended (11%)
    Relationship/family breakdown (11%)
    Usual accommodation unavailable (11%)
    Financial Difficulty (10%)

Canada Homeless Statistics

According to the 2001 census, the following occupancy rates in Canadian shelters (meaning homeless shelters, halfway houses and emergency lodgings for abused spouses and their children) on one day in March were reported as:

Canada 14,145 (total)
    Ontario 6,100
    Quebec 3,365
    Alberta 1,935
    British Columbia 1,085
    Manitoba 885
    New Brunswick 265
    Saskatchewan 255
    Nova Scotia 165
    Newfoundland and Labrador 45
    Northwest Territories 20
    Yukon Territory 15
    Prince Edward Island 5
    Nunavut 5

United Kingdom Homeless Statistics

If you can work out what the situation is in the UK, please let us know. Their stats are smoke and mirrors and completely unbelievable in my opinion. Either they don't know (most likely), or don't want to say in plain statistics, or I'm just not getting it.

United States Homeless Statistics

From the National Coalition for the Homeless: Poverty, Urban Institute and specifically the National Survey of Homeless Assistance Providers, draw their estimates from a study of service providers across the country at two different times of the year in 1996.

They found that, on a given night in October, 444,000 people (in 346,000 households) experienced homelessness - which translates to 6.3% of the population of people living in poverty. On a given night in February, 842,000 (in 637,000 households) experienced homelessness - which translates to almost 10% of the population of people living in poverty.

Converting these estimates into an annual projection, the numbers that emerge are 2.3 million people (based on the October estimate) and 3.5 million people (based on the February estimate).This translates to approximately 1% of the U.S. population experiencing homelessness each year, 38% (October) to 39% (February) of them being children (Urban Institute 2000).

It is also important to note that this study was based on a national survey of service providers. Since not all people experiencing homelessness utilize service providers, the actual numbers of people experiencing homelessness are likely higher than those found in the study, Thus, we are estimating on the high end of the study's numbers: 3.5 million people, 39% of which are children(Urban Institute 2000).
    Last edited by Icecold; 31st March 2011 at 09:40.

7. Link to Post #25
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,322 times in 735 posts

Unhappy Re: I Want To Be Homeless

Quote Posted by Icecold (here)
    United Kingdom Homeless Statistics

If you can work out what the situation is in the UK, please let us know. Their stats are smoke and mirrors and completely unbelievable in my opinion. Either they don't know (most likely), or don't want to say in plain statistics, or I'm just not getting it.
    I don't know the figures for the homeless in the UK, but know that at night in London officials go around hosing cold water on the sleeping homeless to get them off the streets - they've been doing this for several years now to 'clean' the streets up for the Olympics 2012.
    The homeless I have spoken to in London, around October when the weather gets cold, will intentionally do a crime that will give them a bed in prison for the winter months!
    They said on the main news last month that the government wanted to shut down the 'soup kitchens' as those collecting soup each night were 'pretending' to be homeless!?! There is no evidence that this is the case as St James' surveyed all who collected their soup.
    I had a bought of being homeless when I was 16; pretty scarey for a young girl with nowhere safe to rest my head. This was back in 1984, I had no help from any authority - no money for food and couldn't get a job because I had no fixed abode. I wouldn't wish that life on anyone. Thankfully I ended up in a rat infested bedsit/squat sharing a small room with 5 people and three dogs that gave me an address to get a job and move out of this situation.
    There doesn't seem to be much compassion as I have seen it here in the UK for the homeless; most people walk by as if they do not exist. Even my so called spiritual friends look the other way when I engage with the homeless and find it embarrassing! The 'Big Issue' magazine helps many homeless here - this is one of the good intents to help those living on the streets.

8. Link to Post #26
    England Avalon Member SKIBADABOMSKI's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,518 times in 458 posts

This subject I do know a lot about. Working on the streets for over 24 years. Some of my good friends are homeless. Yes it's rough as hell for those who started traveling and ended up begging with some drug addiction. Wonderful for those who make a good living and travel from city to city doing entertainment or selling stuff. You get street traders that make a fortune just moving from town to town.
    I know of a performer who is working everyday in Covent Garden in London and he owns land and properties and dresses like he's poor as. He's a self made millionaire. Yet he'll still go out and do shows in the rain. Yes he's a bit sick with money as he's evidently terrified of losing any.

Then you get the !?$!?$!?$!?$ty side to it. Yes it's ugly and the needle is to blame in most cases. Begging and stinky and basically just an eyesore. They could easily start selling the big issue but it's a choice thing for most. The ones who want to really get off the streets will do it. Many get themselves a pad and settle down and soon become bored and want that everyday survival fight back.

This is of course London I'm talking about. When you hit China and Taiwan then it's a whole different story as you'll see legless bodies on a cart with wheels and they nudge a money bowl with them with sad music playing. These are people that screwed up with the mafias and have been punished in this way. The mafia will pick them all up at night and fling them into a van and take all the money they made. I have seen this with my own eyes.

Japanese homeless tend to all stick to one area in Osaka called Nishinari and they are just lost souls who lost everything and have given up. They'll keep a certain place clean and never beg. Many are alcoholics but they don't pester you as they have just simply given up.

I was homeless for years but I hanged around with mates and stayed at friends houses and very rarely ever had to sleep rough. Once I learned how to entertain on the streets I was out of that mess.

Then you have the caravaners.. people who just live a life of freedom. Some are screwed up and do a lot of crime to survive but many are seriously peace loving individuals that simply don't want much out of life except to simply be out of the game.

It's a big world and homeless has many meanings but the ones that really need the help to stand up again and just want normal lives but have been bullied into just sitting in a corner alone. They are the ones that really need help. The ones that don't even touch drugs and don't drink and are simply in a mess.

Choosing to make yourself homeless is fine. You can live from hotels and do work on the internet and still be classed as homeless. In this day and age homeless can mean many scenarios.

I have helped hundreds of people find a way out of begging. But if they are drug users then I tend to ignore them as I have had too many dramas with them and they seem to have a permanent elastic band tethered to the street life. With good reason. They get itchy feet and bored. It becomes a lifestyle that suits them.

You can take the person of the street but you can't take the street out of the person.

Of course this is just my 2 cents from what I have seen whilst working side by side with these people and it's a huge subject because some people should never have been placed in that situation in the first place. For some it's a living nightmare and they've just got used to it. I guess it really does test a person when they become homeless and without family help it can be very dangerous.

Jumping on a bandwagon of experienced travelers can be a dream. But freedom comes at a price. If you can handle it.

Interesting thread, but in this day and age there are still many ways for you to get out of the game without becoming the stereotype
    homeless beggar.

Quickly.. After a show in London on the street a rich looking gentleman came to me and said " this is great all you guys doing stuff and making money, it's fantastic, I love it " in which I replied " so you'd except what I was doing if I was your son " he paused .. laughed and then said " good point that and yes I have to admit I'd be horrified. He gave me
    20 quid and said " but I'd be proud you could hold your own "

Ski-

9. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SKIBADABOMSKI For This Post:

ace (31st March 2011), Aryslan (13th August 2011), FrankoL (31st March 2011), Fred Steeves (19th July 2011), hohoemi (2nd April 2011), Icecold (31st March 2011), Ineffable Hitchhiker (31st March 2011), jimbojp (1st April 2011), Nervana (2nd April 2011), Real Intent (31st March 2011), Realeyes (31st March 2011), seko (19th July 2011), Sierra (31st March 2011), SKAWF (31st March 2011)

10. Link to Post #27
    Sweden Avalon Member Maria Stade's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,626 times in 854 posts

Peace pilgrim !

My mind wanderd to this remarkable woman !

Sharing this now and I will write some in this thread later !

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maria Stade For This Post:

hohoemi (2nd April 2011), Icecold (31st March 2011), Real Intent (31st March 2011), SKAWF (31st March 2011)

12. Link to Post #28
    England Avalon Member HURRITT ENYETO's Avatar
    Over the Moon Under the Sun. Manchester UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,333 times in 531 posts

Quote Posted by Real Intent (here)
    I envy the homeless. They decided to stop swimming against the current. They decided not to get pulled under by the current. They simply stepped out of the stream and onto the river bank. Certainly there are those who didn't choose to be homeless. They still struggle to try and get back into the stream. But, the people who decided to walk the earth, the people who found themselves with "nothing" and found the value in it, they are the people I envy.

They can see that there is a forest which houses the stream! They watch the fish struggle with the futile battle against the current. They have earned this perspective.

The construct of the system would like us to believe that being homeless is unclean, diseased and even dangerous. If everyone decided to step out of the system of course it wouldn't function so this idea has been fostered.

We are lead to believe that what we have created is somehow better. We say, "It's evolution that man is able to create his own environment. It's completely natural for us to take this path." And it may be. But it's also a dead end in that it weakens us. The world we have designed supports us ideally for what we are now. Exactly what we are now. Without the need to adapt. Our chairs are designed to fit a human being's body. We have revolutionized nutrition and what is ideal for a human being to live a long healthy life. The computer I type on is exactly designed for a human hand.

Evolution occurs because of the laws of life. Life changes and grows, or doesn't change and dies. If all these comforts were taken from us, we would be too adapted to comfort to survive.

I don't believe we have evolved into weakness... yet.

There is still time.

This is what I believe the willfully homeless understand. They see that the struggle is fruitless. Why do we struggle to maintain a dead end?

It is obviously in our power to control our evolution. I don't understand why we have this unique power but we do. How will we use it?

~ Real Intent
    I have decided to grant your wish.
    I have a PayPal account, every time you get some money just deposit into my PayPal account and you will soon be homeless.
    Just call me the great benevolent one......

Hurritt
    The Universe at its heart is a Phantom.
    God sleeps in the Minerals, Awakens in Plants, Walks in the Animals and Thinks in Man.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HURRITT ENYETO For This Post:

CyRus (1st April 2011), learninglight (31st March 2011), Lord Sidious (31st March 2011), seko (19th July 2011), Sierra (31st March 2011)

14. Link to Post #29
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Sierra passed in April 2021.
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,462 times in 5,424 posts

Carmody,

It has always seemed to me the loneliness would be the worst aspect. I think I'd howl like a dog after awhile ...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sierra For This Post:

Real Intent (31st March 2011)

16. Link to Post #30
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member Victoria Tintagel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Real Intent: We are lead to believe that what we have created is somehow better. We say, "It's evolution that man is able to create his own environment. It's completely natural for us to take this path." And it may be. But it's also a dead end in that it weakens us. The world we have designed supports us ideally for what we are now. Exactly what we are now. Without the need to adapt. Our chairs are designed to fit a human being's body. We have revolutionized nutrition and what is ideal for a human being to live a long healthy life. The computer I type on is exactly designed for a human hand.

Evolution occurs because of the laws of life. Life changes and grows, or doesn't change and dies. If all these comforts were taken from us, we would be too adapted to comfort to survive. I don't believe we have evolved into weakness... yet. There is still time.
    This is what I believe the willfully homeless understand. They see that the struggle is fruitless. Why do we struggle to maintain a dead end?
    It is obviously in our power to control our evolution. I don't understand why we have this unique power but we do. How will we use it?
    Thanks Real Intent, for this interesting thread! Why do we struggle to maintain a dead end? Well.... while living in our comfort zone...the chair that fits our body.....we don't find the need to awake and change. I believe that as long as "we" keep talking about "we" there certainly is and will be a dead end There's no fruitful thinking in this "we" but there is in "Ï", I truly believe, because you have the power to change and create, as I do. When I know the direction something evolves in and I am capable to change that direction, then I will do that, when things (seem to) go wrong. And I believe WE.... I... YOU....can change history, the present and the future.... by our intention and the power of our love. And maybe soon, lots of unwillfully homeless people wander about on this planet, look at Haiti and Japan.

I am interested in this thread, because my recent thread "Chapter 13 from The Quest by Tom Brown jr. Wilderness mind" relates to this one. It's about intentionally leaving the comfort zone of the Wilderness life and teach your Vision in modern society. To build a future for our kids.
    The first impression I got from this thread is that an Avalonean longed to be homeless. And I resonate with that longing....ha ha.
    I long to be without possessions, to be free, even without money: the need to earn a living. I have thought, at intervals, about leaving home, with a small bag, even on horse back, walking this planet's meadows and footpaths and knock on a door in the evening, offering a story for a meal and a bed. Who knows I decide to really start such a journey and just see where it brings me around this planet, in a warm climate
    The thought of being hungry or cold, sick or wounded, keeps me from this decision, I guess that's also a comfort zone I may learn to leave
    Be in grace, Victoria Tintagel

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Victoria Tintagel For This Post:

heyokah (4th April 2011), Real Intent (31st March 2011), Sierra (1st April 2011)

18. Link to Post #31
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I see that homeless was the wrong word to use. I don't actually want to be homeless. I was using the homeless as an example (the only example left aside from neolithic peoples) of a group that is not operating within a fatally flawed system. A system that, in order to perpetuate itself, has had to force out any other model. I only envy that perspective. The perspective apart from the system currently in place. I also wanted to point out that we have this unique power to control our own evolution and that perhaps we could harness that power. And yes, I am ascribing more philosophical sophistication to "the homeless" than one would necessarily encounter on a day to day basis, in order to more clearly illustrate my thinking.

19. Link to Post #32
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

I see that homeless was the wrong word to use. I don't actually want to be homeless. I was using the homeless as an example (the only example left aside from neolithic peoples) of a group that is not operating within a fatally flawed system. A system that, in order to perpetuate itself, has had to force out any other model. I only envy that perspective. The perspective apart from the system currently in place. I also wanted to point out that we have this unique power to control our own evolution and that perhaps we could harness that power. And yes, I am ascribing more philosophical sophistication to "the homeless" than one would necessarily encounter on a day to day basis, in order to more clearly illustrate my thinking.
    I hate it when I post something that isn't what I meant to post and then it gets taken the wrong way.
    That is one of the problems with text.

20. Link to Post #33
    United States Avalon Member Cottage Rose's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,454 times in 617 posts

Greetings

I think I understood, Real Intent. We are playing with the idea of starting with a clean slate....throwing away everything that isn't working. What do we have left? What is valuable to keep? Most of us would be happier with less. And, you have observed this freedom in those who have stepped away from the rat race.

In response to my previous post pertaining to simplifying diet. dejavu PM'd with a question about coconut oil and I thought I would post my response here in case anyone else is interested in this subject:

I have forgotten many of the details now and mostly remember my personal experience. But, tropical oils are unique. They are dietary sources of medium chan fatty acids (MCFA). Breast milk is an MCFA. There are very few others. Fats metabolize differently according to the size of the molecule. Most fats are long chain fatty acids. Long chains take longer to metabolize and store as fat. Medium chains metabolize quicker and are used for energy, instead of storing as fat. Coconut oil boosts the metabolism for 24 hours. It is a natural anti-microbial , anti-fungal, anti-parasitic (lauric acid). It is used in iv solutions given to premature babies and Aids patients in the hospital. It has many healing properties and builds up the immune system.

Long chain fats oxidize quickly and are quickly become rancid after opening. Before latex, long chain seed oils were used in paint. They oxidize and become dry quickly if you spead them on a surface. Coconut does not dry up. It is solid below 76 degrees and has a 2 year shelf life.

2-3 tablespoons a day are reccommended for metabolism and health benefits. I find it easiest to take my dose in a few oatmeal/coconut cookies (made with stevia) each morning. As I said in my previous post, this regime keeps me eating less without hunger.

It is also great for cosmetic purposes. A few drops of geranium and clary sage essential oils mixed with coconut oil in a jar make a wonderful facial moisturizer.

I recommend the book: The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife for details.

Real Intent, I had a problem with members nit-picking my choice of words in the "Plea To Atticus" title. I didn't see what happened here, but I think it might have been the same syndrome.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cottage Rose For This Post:

craig mitchell (14th August 2011), dejavu (31st March 2011), Real Intent (1st April 2011), seko (19th July 2011), TigerLilly (4th April 2011), Whitehaze (1st April 2011)

22. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

I envy the homeless. They decided to stop swimming against the current. They decided not to get pulled under by the current. They simply stepped out of the stream and onto the river bank. Certainly there are those who didn't choose to be homeless. They still struggle to try and get back into the stream. But, the people who decided to walk the earth, the people who found themselves with "nothing" and found the value in it, they are the people I envy.
    I have always tought there is nothing wrong on being POOR, one can find great virtue in living a modest life; the problem is when people live in MISERY, thats a very different story.

Living a modest life sets the ground to develop your spiritual and human values, helps the person to deepen on philosophy, to seek the truth; instead of running thru life like a maniac, not even knowing where the person is going, just that he has to run like everyone else.

But careful not to fall in misery, wich closes the eyes of the spirit, since the lack of the basic necessities blocks one's mind and spirit to search and find truth and justice (e.g. the lack of food to survive).

Misery can also hit a materially rich person (rich in the way our current society undertands it) the person may end up being an slave of his own money and posessions, becoming a trully miserable person.

Misery may also affect a poor person, a person of humble means, if the person craves all his life for the money he does not have, ending up living a miserable life, instead of taking advantage of the fertile ground he lives on for his mind and spirit to flourish.

I have always admired the life of Diogens of Sinope (412-323 B.C.) a greek philosopher who decided to live a poor life, with no home, no posessions, he taught that was the way to find the truth, one ocassion other philosophers challenged him, told him that he had that philosophy out of envy, because he couldn't make any money, he took the challenge, began to sell fish oil, he came out to be such a great merchant that he became very rich, then when he proved that making money was not a big deal, he gave all his money away and came back to the life he chosen, a materially poor life, with no material posessions whatsoever, but with a mind and spirit so rich that couldn't be bought with money.

There is a hollywood movie titled "Into the wild", it was on cinemas some 3 or 4 years ago, about a young man who chose to leave all posessions and go "into the wild" to live his life to the fullest, if you haven't seen it, I think you will like it, its based on the true story of the main character.
    Last edited by hedigoto; 31st March 2011 at 21:14. Reason: Just correcting a misspelling sorry :)

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hedigoto For This Post:

Lord Sidious (1st April 2011), Real Intent (1st April 2011), seko (19th July 2011), Sierra (1st April 2011), Whitehaze (1st April 2011)

24. Link to Post #35
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Sadly society judges people by their homes, cars, posessions. We are brainwashed to strive for bigger and better, and there in lies the trap. Our posessions become a huge weight around our shoulders. The home we dreampt of becomes the mortgage we cannot pay unless we are tied to the job we hate and so on and so on.
    Yes I envy those who have broken free of this, walked away, reconnected with nature, stepped out of the box!

25. Link to Post #36
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 times in 509 posts

Ahh yes "homeless"

" i want to be homeless"

Don't you want to live in a ghetto next to the **** and piss ?

with your children playing amongst the defecation you and your neighbours left last night ???

living on rubbish ?

nothing to wipe your ass let alone your nose with other than your hand ?

dying of simple medical conditions that residents in other parts of the world take for granted

one doesn't have to have much imagination to think of the atrocities done on a daily basis to anyone or thing that has lesser strength than another living in these conditions

how many billions are living like this ??

"I was using the homeless as an example (the only example left aside from neolithic peoples) of a group that is not operating within a fatally flawed system. A system that, in order to perpetuate itself, has had to force out any other model. I only envy that perspective."

Really ??

tell me what does america, canada, australia, have to do with homeless people ?

such a small number of those peoples are homeless when compared to the multitude of alleged fellow human beings from many parts of this planet that have if they are lucky, (please note the sardonic overtone here) some rusty galvanised sheets and some beat up old palletts that the average westerner would not even recognise as potential for a dog kennel to call a home...

homeless !!!

and you have the gaul to ascribe philosophical sophistication to "the homeless" scenario.......

do you know ??
    Last edited by passiglight; 31st March 2011 at 21:50.

26. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

Quote Posted by passiglight (here)
    Ahh yes "homeless"

" i want to be homeless"

Don't you want to live in a ghetto next to the **** and piss ?

with your children playing amongst the defecation you and your neighbours left last night ???

living on rubbish ?

nothing to wipe your ass let alone your nose with other than your hand ?

dying of simple medical conditions that residents in other parts of the world take for granted

one doesn't have to have much imagination to think of the atrocities done on a daily basis to anyone or thing that has lesser strength than another living in these conditions

how many billions are living like this ??

"I was using the homeless as an example (the only example left aside from neolithic peoples) of a group that is not operating within a fatally flawed system. A system that, in order to perpetuate itself, has had to force out any other model. I only envy that perspective."

Really ??

tell me what does america, canada, australia, have to do with homeless people ?

such a small number of those peoples are homeless when compared to the multitude of alleged fellow human beings from many parts of this planet that have if they are lucky, (please note the sardonic overtone here) some rusty galvanised sheets and some beat up old palletts that the average westerner would not even recognise as potential for a dog kennel to call a home...

homeless !!!

and you have the gaul to ascribe philosophical sophistication to "the homeless" scenario.......

do you know ??
    I agree with you passiglight, what you talk about is misery, being homeless can't do anybody any good, having a decent home is a basic human right and a basic human necessity.

Even tough, I think Real Intent's thread touches an important point for meditation. In my country there's millions of people who are materally poor, I personally know many, many, poor people, who live with dignity, higiene, honesty, love, among other important values, who live a happy and simple life and give the rest of us important lessons in life.

Unfortunatelly, in this same country, I know many people, and there are millions in fact, who live in misery, and that's no trip to the zoo, that's a mayor injustice and insult in a country that according to forbes magazzine has the richest man in the world.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hedigoto For This Post:

Real Intent (2nd April 2011), seko (19th July 2011), Sierra (1st April 2011)

28. Link to Post #38
    Ecuador Avalon Member Davidallany's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,056 times in 1,577 posts

Quote I hate it when I post something that isn't what I meant to post and then it gets taken the wrong way.
    That is one of the problems with text
    I can certainly attest to that, Lord.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davidallany For This Post:

Lord Sidious (1st April 2011), Sierra (1st April 2011)

30. Link to Post #39
    Cayman Islands Deactivated
    Thanks

I've met many people who embody this type of lifestyle in RV (caravan in UK) parks. They IMO have the best of both worlds as they've left the grid so to speak but still have a home so long as they can afford to keep filling it up with gas and maintaining it which really isn't that bad if it's your only expense. Many of them may be homeless in that they don't have a fixed address, but I've met quite a few who own property, businesses, etc. and have money but choose to live in their coach 11 out of 12 months of the year.

--sjkted

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjkted For This Post:

Davidallany (1st April 2011), Real Intent (1st April 2011), Sierra (1st April 2011)

32. Link to Post #40
    United States Avalon Member Cottage Rose's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,454 times in 617 posts

Quote Posted by sjkted (here)
    I've met many people who embody this type of lifestyle in RV (caravan in UK) parks. They IMO have the best of both worlds as they've left the grid so to speak but still have a home so long as they can afford to keep filling it up with gas and maintaining it which really isn't that bad if it's your only expense. Many of them may be homeless in that they don't have a fixed address, but I've met quite a few who own property, businesses, etc. and have money but choose to live in their coach 11 out of 12 months of the year.

--sjkted
    I have a small RV. Wonderful times can be had living simply in State Parks. So quiet, off grid. People are relaxed there.

North Padre Island in Texas used to be a beautiful National Seashore. I have been going to that beach for 45 years. Off shore drilling (Haliburton) has gradually ruined the area.

In the 60's the clean white beaches were brimming with sand dollars and beautiful shells. The water was crystal clear and the salty sea breeze was fragrant.

Gradually the sand dollars and shells disappeared. Then, tar balls started appearing. Then, some kind of funky red seaweed released from the off shore rigs continually washes up on the shore, stinky and full of refuse from the rigs. Instead of the peaceful, pleasant days on the beach I used to know, big loud trucks with front shovel things constantly go up and down the beach to push the stinky red seaweed and trash into piles. Then dumptrucks come to pick it up and haul it away. By the time their noise and aroma polution is over, the day is nearly done.

The last time I went there, large sea turtles were walking up on the shore and just sort of committing suicide. There were signs on the beach with a number to call. If you saw a turtle the authorities would pick them up to try to save them. No one understood why they were doing this. But, just a few days later the Big Gulf Oil Spill happened. I am beginning to wonder if aquatic life has a different frame of reference for time and they just feel things in advance.

Anyway, in 40 years Haliburton has ruined a beautiful pristine beach. Very, very sad.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cottage Rose For This Post:

hedigoto (3rd April 2011), Lord Sidious (1st April 2011), Phoenix (19th July 2011), Real Intent (1st April 2011), seko (19th July 2011), Sierra (1st April 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast