Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Video will cease April 29, 2011

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member charlesfrith's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks

Default Google Video will cease April 29, 2011

Google are going to remove all the videos on the Google Video domain. Many of these are classics and have been instrumental in my journey of radical discovery. Google say they will be there for a month and will provide a download tool but my experience (In Thailand) is that they are being removed in two weeks and no download tool is present.

Anyone else disappointed? Or have recommendations for which ones to see/rip before they go forever?
    Last edited by Dennis Leahy; 20th April 2011 at 03:32. Reason: Modified title
    Allegedly Bright. Empirically Stupid.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to charlesfrith For This Post:

crosby (20th April 2011), Mad Hatter (17th April 2011), phimonic (16th April 2011), sheddie (17th April 2011), str8thinker (17th April 2011), ViralSpiral (17th April 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    John101

Default Re: Google Video

The Video below Used to be on google and you were able to download the full length version. this movie has helped me wake up a few friends and colleagues so I highly recommend it if you have not already seen it.

I had it on a USB stick and had that on my keyring, I was talking to a guy at work one day, very straight guy, always paid his taxes, wore his seat belt, paid his TV license, and generally was your all round law abiding citizen, I asked him how the hell do you just conform so easily, he just said It's the law, we are not all criminals like you John. LOL

I gave him the USB and asked him please just watch it and tell me what you think of it. later than night he called me and said wtf can we do
    we had never talked outside of work before and here he was calling me by getting my number through a friend. Like I said I highly recommend it.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to John101 For This Post:

Ailith (16th April 2011), Black Panther (17th April 2011), bluestflame (17th April 2011), DevilPigeon (16th April 2011), Eligos (16th April 2011), HORIZONS (16th April 2011), jackovesk (16th April 2011), Lord Sidious (17th April 2011), MorningSong (16th April 2011), sheddie (17th April 2011), sunflower (18th April 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    England Avalon Member DevilPigeon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 times in 560 posts

-----

"They Live!" is currently full-length (~90 mins) on GoogleVideo. It's probably available in 10 minute chunks via YouTube though.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by John101 (here)
    The Video below Used to be on google and you were able to download the full length version. this movie has helped me wake up a few friends and colleagues so I highly recommend it if you have not already seen it.

I had it on a USB stick and had that on my keyring, I was talking to a guy at work one day, very straight guy, always paid his taxes, wore his seat belt, paid his TV license, and generally was your all round law abiding citizen, I asked him how the hell do you just conform so easily, he just said It's the law, we are not all criminals like you John. LOL

I gave him the USB and asked him please just watch it and tell me what you think of it. later than night he called me and said wtf can we do
    we had never talked outside of work before and here he was calling me by getting my number through a friend. Like I said I highly recommend it.

Not heard of that John, currently downloading via VLC... Will look forward to seeing it later!
    "Stop getting Bond wrong!" (Alan Partridge)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DevilPigeon For This Post:

charlesfrith (17th April 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

another one bites the dust...google videos just a memory now...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ailith For This Post:

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,751 times in 1,912 posts

Thank you for this post! I was able to save a few of my videos...

this is the message:
    This video will be removed on April 29, 2011. Learn more.
    Google Video › Help articles › Playing Videos › Uploaded to Google Video › Uploaded video content no longer available
    Uploaded video content no longer available

* Gmail
    * Blogger
    * Buzz
    * Orkut
    * Google Reader
    * Bookmarks
    * » More

Comment Print

On April 29, 2011 videos that have been uploaded to Google Video will no longer be available for playback. We’ve added a Download button to the Video Status new window page, so you can download videos that you want to save. If you don’t want to download your videos, you don’t need to do anything. (The Download feature will be disabled after May 13, 2011.)
    How do I download videos that I've uploaded?

On the Video Status page, click Download Video located on the right side of each of your videos in the "Actions" column.Once a video has been downloaded, an "Already Downloaded" message will appear. If you have many videos on Google Video, you may need to use the paging controls located on the bottom right of the page to access them all.
    This download option will be available through May 13, 2011.
    I've downloaded my videos. Now what do I do with these FLV files?

FLV files are videos that have been encoded in the Flash Video Format. You can upload your videos in FLV format to other video hosting sites like YouTube or Picassa Web Albums. If you would like to playback your videos on your computer and they don’t seem to be working, you might need to install an FLV player. In order to find an FLV player to install, try doing a Google search for [ FLV player ].

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimberley For This Post:

charlesfrith (17th April 2011), crosby (20th April 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    German
    Thanks

Hello. How are you using VLC to download? Thanks

12. Link to Post #7
    Spain Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Last edited by Feren; 17th April 2011 at 06:33.
    "There are no facts, only interpretations"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Feren For This Post:

14. Link to Post #8
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Quote Posted by John101 (here)

If there is one thing that gets me going, it is dissent!
    I like it, keep up the good work.

I cast thee out! Hidden youtube demons.

15. Link to Post #9
    Australia Avalon Member str8thinker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 times in 530 posts

For what it's worth, I have only ever used DownloadHelper, a Firefox plugin, to download both YouTube and Google videos, usually in .flv or .mp4 format. I prefer .mp4 format for longer videos as the .flv format doesn't seem as friendly when you actually try to edit videos.

This news is unfortunate. Google today, YouTube tomorrow.

This thread contains some great Google videos you may have missed.
    documentaries

There's also this one, though it's mainly YouTube
    smat's interesting links.

Here is one I started with some Google videos I found really interesting.
    Secret Mysteries of America’s Beginnings, Vols 1-4

If all else fails, try googling for the documentary including the term "Rapidshare" or one of the other file hosting services such as Hotfile or Megaupload.
    There's also BitTorrent, a good source of older documentaries.

Good luck and thanks for the heads-up.

(Added) One thing I have noticed about YouTube videos is that some now stretch a lot longer than the allotted 10-15 minutes, so it may be Google's objective to make YouTube the new repository of Google-length videos (1-2 hours). Let's hope that this will be the case.

Quote Google said it would instead concentrate its efforts on video search technologies. The firm is advising Google Video users to move their material to its video-sharing site YouTube.

http://topnews.net.nz/content/213890...ome-end-may-13
    Last edited by str8thinker; 17th April 2011 at 10:21.
    Beware the bearers of FALSE gifts & their BROKEN PROMISES. Much PAIN but still time. BELIEVE. There is GOOD out there. We OPpose DECEPTION. COnduit CLOSING.
    - Crabwood crop circle, 2002.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to str8thinker For This Post:

charlesfrith (17th April 2011), crosby (20th April 2011)

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,613 times in 2,179 posts

Indeed, unfortunate news. There will be more of same in future as info channels (a.k.a MSM) attempt to funnel "stuff".

Both videos in John & Fern's posts above are Goo-tube though...
    .... be gentle with your anger. Sixto Rodriguez, Cape Town 20.02.2013

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ViralSpiral For This Post:

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Okay, here are some tips for finding those Google videos before they are gone forever.

Unfortunately, Google is a search engine, not a directory. There is no directory tree for you to drill down, as you can with Yahoo! to find a branch named Conspiracy Theory. Also, since Google owns YouTube, it's almost impossible to narrow your search to only Google videos, excluding YouTube videos, as this pic shows:

Despite attempting to exclude youtube.com from the search results by adding the exclusion string "-youtube.com" (the preceding minus sign signifying exclusion), the only vids found are YouTube! However, I have attempted to be more selective by searching for videos longer than 20 mins and of high quality, hoping for the best documentaries. Be careful, though; you may find that specifying high quality greatly limits the number of results, contrary to what you might expect.

By trial and error I discovered that adding the extension "/videoplay" did the trick, narrowing the results to (mostly) google video and excluding YouTube:

Note also that this time I did not specify duration or quality.

If Google can't be used to filter out YouTube, why not try other search engines, such as Bing?

As you can see, the algorithm works differently and filters out both Google and YouTube videos, unfortunately. However, you might be able to work this to your advantage if you happen to be searching for non-Google videos such as those from Metacafe. Another thing I dislike about Bing is that it does not remember other parameters such as duration; you have to re-set it with each search if you don't want the default value.

Another trick is to forget about video-only searches and do general Google searches, including "video.google.com/videoplay -youtube" in the search terms. You will certainly be able to fit more results into each page.

Of course, once you find one Google video on a topic of interest, check that uploader's Google directory. There may be more, lots more.

Hope this helps. If anyone knows any other hints to help us find Google videos before they disappear, please post.
    Beware the bearers of FALSE gifts & their BROKEN PROMISES. Much PAIN but still time. BELIEVE. There is GOOD out there. We OPpose DECEPTION. COnduit CLOSING.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to str8thinker For This Post:

Bryn ap Gwilym (25th April 2011), charlesfrith (17th April 2011), crosby (20th April 2011), DoubleHelix (26th April 2011), Gaia (17th April 2011)

21. Link to Post #12
    Language
    German
    Thanks

Wow. Thanks for such great info. Much appreciated.

c.

22. Link to Post #13
    Language
    German
    Thanks

Thank you so much for this information. I'm a little unsettled you screen captured my Reptilian searches but I'm guessing thats coincidence

23. Link to Post #14
    England Avalon Member DevilPigeon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 times in 560 posts

Quote Posted by charlesfrith (here)
    Hello. How are you using VLC to download? Thanks
    Hi

There's currently a problem with the latest version of VLC (I'm using 1.1.8, but looking at the changelog for 1.1.9 it would appear it's still an issue), in that it no longer converts any YouTube or Google videos. This is due to a code change done by Google (which as they also own YouTube, affects those as well). There is a way round it, but it involves you modifying one of VLC's files first (link to how to do the fix is below).

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89164

(To edit, you'll need to open the file with 'administrator' privileges. In Win 7 right-click on the 'Notepad' icon and select 'run as administrator', then open the file by using File > Open...)

Once this is done, you can follow the steps below. Note that my situation is that I download the video to a NAS box (network hard drive), and then stream to my PS3:

1. Locate the GoogleVideo/YouTube video you want to download. Copy the web address.
    2. In VLC, go to Media > Open Network Stream...
    3. Paste the web address into the 'network URL' box
    4. On the 'Play' button, click on the down arrow and select 'Convert'
    5. Select a location to save the converted file to (using the 'Browse' button if needed). Include the correct extension at the end of the filename (in my case, .mp4)
    6. Change the 'Profile' as needed. The default [Video - H.264 + AAC (mp4)] is fine for me as that's acceptable for the PS3. If you need to change this, I've always found it to be trial and error as to what works for your situation...
    7. Click 'Start'.

As a guide, you're looking approx 30 mins to convert a 1hr video... Although this is variable on your hardware, where you're downloading from etc.

HTH
    Last edited by DevilPigeon; 17th April 2011 at 15:16. Reason: added extra step
    "Stop getting Bond wrong!" (Alan Partridge)

24. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

It's a shame that one of, if not the, leading search engine discontinues one of it's functions but that is how the cookie crumbles. Some of the videos are still Google hosted, but for anyone who doesn't know of the site www.esoterictube.com it is full of useful, informative videos.

Have a good day

Source: Watch on Vimeo

Alone and crowded. Freethinking, enslaved. Waiting for my reality to answer.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ÆTHER For This Post:

delaware (24th April 2011), Feren (18th April 2011)

26. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 times in 328 posts

They are doing this because there is obviously an agenda behind it,as people start to look for more info videos and so on if they pull things like this off the web maybe its an attempt to slow down people who are slowly waking up to what is really going on these days?I smell rotten fish for sure!

27. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Although Google are discontinuing Google Video, the more I think about it the more I believe this may be because, now that it seems we can upload longer videos to YouTube which is more popular than Google Video, there is no point in them running two duplicate services. I haven't noticed Google withdrawing videos on YT at a greater rate lately. Perhaps they just want to keep all their eggs in one basket. Anyone agree with me here?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to str8thinker For This Post:

ThePythonicCow (20th April 2011)

29. Link to Post #18
    Language
    German
    Thanks

This ignores the point I made which is that if say I wish to transfer Nassim Harameins 8 hours of lectures to Youtube that makes a two video Google into 32 videos. You may wish to know that's a lot of editing and uploading and diminished ease of viewing.

30. Link to Post #19
    Language
    German
    Thanks

Default Re: Google Video will cease April 29, 2011

I wanted to let you all know that some good news came of this. Google gave me an unlimited account (2 Gigabytes a film) and also extended the cut of date. I've no idea if they were listening as I was quite vocal in front of friends who work for them but I'm very pleased. If anyone has a fave Google video they feel should be saved please let me know. Thanks for all your support and feedback. - Charles Bangkok

31. Link to Post #20
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,327 times in 653 posts

Default Re: Google Video will cease April 29, 2011

The same thing that happened to television is happening to Internet media. First, you build market share. Then you consolidate ownership of the media outlets. Finally, you exercise control of the media content. Television is complete propaganda today. The Internet is following in television's footsteps.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chicodoodoo For This Post:

delaware (24th April 2011), Lord Sidious (24th April 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast