+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5

Thread: How to Know a Fake Guru When You Meet One

1. Link to Post #81
    Bahamas Deactivated
    Thanks

Default Re: How to Know a Fake Guru When You Meet One

Nithyananda: Truth About the Cult of Swami 'Paramahamsa' Nithyananda; Organized Fraud

[Read more...]

2. Link to Post #82
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

My last silent retreat, I took last year. It was in August. Or my first attempt at Silence was in August. You dedicate to hear no voices but your own. Your expectation is that you will learn more about yourself and your inner voice without all the distraction. What I ended up doing ...was learning about other people. The consternation I caused by retreating out of the social /public eye was crazy. The perception people held about me that I was strong capable woman disintegrated in an instant to be replaced with "OHMYGOD she's losing her mind." the moment I said I would be unavailable for a month. But it what medicine people periodically have to do rather like how nurses and auto mechanics need recertification. It's what keeps the medicine.

The moment I retreated,I was hounded, besieged, set upon, phone ringing all day people asking me if I was okay. I get his same response in the summer when I pitch a tent and spend most of my time outdoors in the backyard simply because its good for me to do so. This translates into "She's having a nervous breakdown." So August was a wash. In September I made a public statement." I would have my silence or I was never speaking to those who intruded on my silence ever again." It's a profanity and disrespect of a sacred vow someone is taking. And there's no reason for it. But for OTHER people's fear. I literally had to create a fortress around me to keep people out.

it was bizarre as if my silence had something to do with THEM. They took it personally and it taught me a big lesson on how one accidentally falls into the trap of people getting co dependent and I had to determine to never let people self identify with me so strongly because its irresponsible and doesnt allow people to develop on a SELF level. A real eye opener and one of the greatest lessons I ever had. I realized i had enabled this by being too available and too quick to take on other people's problems instead of allowing them the silence to work things out for themselves with the tools I showed them.

I must have needed A LOT OF SILENCE because my silent retreat extended outwards for three months.

Looking forward to the next one though.

Quote Posted by Nanoo Nanoo (here)
    A true guru is not actually a guru at all. Historically the word Guru has a meaning of someone to follow or worship. A real leader is someone that leads, helps you get started and then lets you go. There is great wisdom in the saying " give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a life time" This is the true essence of teaching and spirituality.

In a broader sense we are all Guru's or teachers. However, we have a responsibility to learn truth then pass it on. Some make a living from this because they want to sustain them selves and continue to do so, thats the pitfall of a money based society, money isnt everything but its right up there with oxygen.. Remember there is no quick fix. there is no short cut to a spiritual lifestyle , it is a long journey sometimes of self discovery the length of time is proportional to your ability to connect with your higher and lower self and discover who you are. This can be best done by spending time with your self and meditating.

When you release thoughts and calm the mind you can then hear the wisdom thats inside you.

The fakeness of what we have been lead to believe is that there is a pill to fix everything.. its not true.

an excellent method of meditation is called sacred silence. Its an Indian Shaman method and is very effective in calming the mind to achieve silence.

First step is silence
    Second is forgiveness
    Third is learning wisdom
    Fourth is teaching

and all along the way is the joy of being free in spirit.

N
    N

3. Link to Post #83
    United States Avalon Member sshenry's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 times in 319 posts

It all depends on how you define "guru". Western society has taken a term from the Sanskrit (which means teacher or spiritual master - someone who is "heavy" or "weighty" with spiritual knowledge) and twisted it so that it means someone who imparts spiritual knowledge - sort of like a snack or soda machine. Put a coin in (the coin can be money - or belief, it doesn't matter) and you'll get spiritual knowledge dispensed to you in a nice, neat, manageable package.

And western society with its emphasis on capitalism, has replied in kind with plenty of "spiritual teachers" who will tell you anything you want to hear (for a price of course, though their coin isn't always monetary, but many times belief or faith in them and what they are saying).

A real guru doesn't have to act or dress or behave a certain way. Sometimes you don't even know that you've met a real guru until their words or actions come back to you days, weeks - even years later and you're like "damn, how come I didn't see that before?"

A true spiritual master does not hold him or herself up above their students or followers as an example of what they can achieve and they do not encourage their students or followers to do so. No, a true spiritual guru comes down to the student's level and works with them on an individual basis to help them remember the information that they have forgotten and find the path that is theirs to follow. They help others to achieve their own personal best. And, as any good teacher knows, there is no one right way to teach all students. Each individual person is going to need a different approach; they are going to need personalized help. The 'love and rainbows' message given to one person that fills their heart with peace and joy will do nothing for some, but that doesn't mean that they are hopeless, they may need a little more down-to-earth approach.

And it sure isn't just words that are indicative of a real spiritual guru. It's actions. Their actions - or lack of action - can say as much for their being a true spiritual teacher as all the wordy protestations will ever do. Are they willing to work one on one - or are they too important for that? Are they willing to take a different approach in order to get their point across or do they keep up the same routine regardless? If you're being purposefully obtuse will they give you a good swift kick to bump you out of your rut?

Don't be fooled by the societal expectations of what a guru "is" or "isn't" or what a guru "should" or "shouldn't" be like. The only thing that matters is if, after having interacted with them, your life begins to change as you begin remembering who you are and why it is that you are here.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sshenry For This Post:

9eagle9 (28th May 2011), eileenrose (29th May 2012), Fred Steeves (28th May 2011), greybeard (28th May 2011)

5. Link to Post #84
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,560 times in 5,028 posts

By looking at their bank account, mode of transport, sexual behaviour, and most important if it is one to one, looking into their eyes

6. Link to Post #85
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 times in 630 posts

They are especially fake if they charge tons of money and live in a mansion and drive way expensive cars, go on shopping sprees in Europe, etc and charge $1050 for a beginners retreat. IMO!

Oh and watch what you say cause she just might sue your a$$!

Especially if they charge $5000 to have dinner with them! What a joke! IMO!
    Last edited by MargueriteBee; 28th May 2011 at 15:25.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MargueriteBee For This Post:

HURRITT ENYETO (28th May 2011)

8. Link to Post #86
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

Not a good idea to make that assessment in terms of abundance either. I live in an enormous house, and I have a car --60k ---all manifested, nothing to do with teaching or healing or fees or charges or anything at all save for the ability to manifest. More often than not I bang around in by pie bald winter beater. I have literally given things away boats, vehicles, and they pop right back into my life again. The guy who bought my boat leaves it here for me to use anytime. Same with the truck I sold him. The more I give away the more it comes back. That's reciprocal energy its automatic. And one doesn't necessarily have to own things to have them. I don't own much of anything, but I seem to have everything. I have stuff I never asked for but I'm glad I have it.

If teachers are expressing what they teach and they happen to teach manifestation, abundance is going to express in their life. Which the whole point, to show people how to make abundance rain out of the ceiling. I haven't been working much at all the last year and half since this is my time to play but I still have abundance pouring in. Manifestation.

Conversely if a teaching abundance and its not expressed in their life then they aren't convinced of their own material. A teacher of abundance with their palm out is missing the point of manifestation. Periodically I venture out to do a work shop on manifestation, or a casual gathering, there's no charge attached. One is demonstrating that you don't have to earn the usual way. I can AFFORD to offer it for no charge because it supports the actual material and concept of manifestation.. It gets reciprocated in another way. If people want to pitch in for donuts and coffee hey...great. Everything a teacher teaches should be expressed or demonstrated in their own life before offering it to others.

9. Link to Post #87
    Great Britain Avalon Retired Member Anno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 times in 567 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    [...]
    If money is asked for the message = be wary, especially if it seems unreasonable.
    Like when people say... "I don't have time to go into it in detail right now, so if you want to know, buy my book/dvd or a ticket to my day long lecture".

If the message overly demonizes someone or something = be wary, at best it's a dualistic message, a good guru teaches holiness (wholeness).
    A bit like saying, We are all one, except the... insert abstract group label like Masons, Satanists, Celebrities, Reptilians.

If the Guru claims to be "more right" than others, or his message "more right" = be wary, a good guru knows everyone has his own path.
    Like referring to people who don't believe them as "Sheeple".

If the Guru has something to gain by spreading his "word" = likely fake, good guru's require nothing in return and no worldly gain.
    Free trips around the world, being treated like a celebrity, getting to drink in the energy sent to them by their devotees?

Sounds like you're describing about 90% of the people in the truth movement to me lol. =]

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anno For This Post:

9eagle9 (28th May 2011), MoSh187 (28th May 2011)

11. Link to Post #88
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Anno (here)
    [...]
    If money is asked for the message = be wary, especially if it seems unreasonable.
    Like when people say... "I don't have time to go into it in detail right now, so if you want to know, buy my book/dvd or a ticket to my day long lecture".

If the message overly demonizes someone or something = be wary, at best it's a dualistic message, a good guru teaches holiness (wholeness).
    A bit like saying, We are all one, except the... insert abstract group label like Masons, Satanists, Celebrities, Reptilians.

If the Guru claims to be "more right" than others, or his message "more right" = be wary, a good guru knows everyone has his own path.
    Like referring to people who don't believe them as "Sheeple".

If the Guru has something to gain by spreading his "word" = likely fake, good guru's require nothing in return and no worldly gain.
    Free trips around the world, being treated like a celebrity, getting to drink in the energy sent to them by their devotees?

Sounds like you're describing about 90% of the people in the truth movement to me lol. =]
    Well, you took what I was trying to say out of context and your examples are weak to your point, but I do understand the overall context of the point you are making - and there is some definate truth to that -- so in response to that specifically:

Understand also,that there has to be the progression from being completely oblivious to anything other than what your are fed, to being "awakened" to a larger reality, having to process that reality and the fear that it brings, and then transmuting that fear into love of all things and confidence the highest good is being served.

Many people (whether they see themselves as teacher or student) are so addicted to their fear that they cannot move past the processing the fear of greater reality part, and so get stuck there in that state of conflict judgement and duality - for they are so used to "fighting" or taking advantage of others as a way to resolve conflict or serve their ego - which actually doesn't work, but eventualy that too is realized and the person moves from that place, to a state of enlightenment where they can bring about the change they really seek.

You see, it is all one big process and process is goal. People are scattered all along the path and they have been drawn the path -wherever they may be on it- by their intent for a better tomorrow - all of them, teachers and learner's alike (we are all both teachers and students).

Some yet, are standing along the sides of the path going knowhere yet feel justified in taking potshots and judging those who are moving along the "incorrect part" or in an "incorrect way" of that path in their eyes.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

12. Link to Post #89
    Great Britain Avalon Retired Member Anno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 times in 567 posts

Well, you took what I was trying to say out of context and your examples are weak to your point, but I do understand the overall context of the point you are making - and there is some definate truth to that [...]
    Can truth ever be taken out of context? I thought it was universal. I didn't have a point as such. I was simply amused at how pretty much anyone can be seen as a true or false guru. I like your explanation about everything being a process and different people being at different points along the path.

For the record. I don't judge. I'm 99% convinced that some of the biggest names in the alternative media are at best, conmen, at worst, controlled opposition. Regardless, they are all waking people up and spreading truth. I don't need to judge them for it because that's what we have Karma for. Exposing them would most likely cause more harm than good to the overall process anyway.

You see, it is all one big process and process is goal. People are scattered all along the path and they have been drawn the path -wherever they may be on it- by their intent for a better tomorrow - all of them, teachers and learner's alike (we are all both teachers and students).
    I think that's a great way of putting it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anno For This Post:

DeDukshyn (28th May 2011)

14. Link to Post #90
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Anno (here)
    Can truth ever be taken out of context? I thought it was universal....
    Hehe, good point. To me the Truth (with capital) can never be taken out of context as they are 100% universal without exception, but truths (small case) can - as they merely describe an agreed upon observation of a particular subject. Thus those "truths" always have the possibility of being subjective and therefore not 100% universal. My original post reflected agreements that one could make to have a potentially healtheir abilities in determining potentially valid sources for tools of learning - therefore a small case truth.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

15. Link to Post #91
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,424 times in 1,076 posts

i found a guru

jump jump and then some hump hump ; )

16. Link to Post #92
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 times in 436 posts