1. Link to Post #1
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Default Relationships

Relationships

There is as joke -saying “ Eventually I became so successful that my partner could afford to divorce me and took all the money”

How does that come about?
    Men, some women too, tend to get fixated on “The Project” The project can take on many forms, it could be or a hobby or work or both.

The me is always reaching out for something in the future its goal orientated and looking for something to complete me to make me happy, to be some one. Its never happy in the present moment so rarely is the me content with what is.

There is the thought that when I find the right partner I will be fulfilled, she or he will make me happy. That’s an unreal expectation and besides if the source of your happiness is external to you, then in a very subtle way you are giving that outside source control over you through your emotions wants and needs. You meet the seemingly ideal partner you can tick all the boxes on your desire list. That called falling in love.

At the start you only have eyes for the other half, no time for projects, then after a while the projects start to beckon, the relationship starts to be routine, the aliveness, freshness, diminished, a pattern established.

When the realisation comes that love we feel for another is not actually dependent on the other but love that emerges within ourselves and is inherent within all human form then there is no sense of loss of identity if the relationship goes through a difficult patch.

There is no longer a feeling of being wronged to carrying the poor me story to anyone who will listen.

There can be a very strong love affair with the me story, “Look what happened to me” Our whole identity seems taken up with the story of what happened.
    Looking in from the outside it can be seen that most relationships are dysfunctional but they survive.

Why?

Because there is pay value in that kind of a relationship.
    The people involved in it would not see it or agree that they are getting something out of the constant bickering fighting making up cycle.

This is why.

There is the addiction to the adrenalin high from the argument, the opportunity to prove im right your wrong and if all else fails I might hit you. “Well he or she deserved it” is the justifying of it.

With every addiction there is a low after the high and of course its so unbearable to be in the low that the high is once more sought.
    That might be through the seeking to make love after a fight.

The ego is very cunning and will go to great length to get its own way even to the point of seeming to apologizing, saying “im sorry dear it was my fault it wont happen again”

Of course after the high of the make up, the love making, then of course it all happens again, it could not be otherwise.
    Life has got flat in the routine of it, no sense of being alive, of being me, no enemy to make me feel strong.

There is need of the adrenalin high and things have got kind off quiet, boring even. It’s a bit like the expression used by Nurses “Flat liners” that’s when the peaks and troughs on the heart monitor cease and all that’s left is a flat line, the patient is deceased.

So the cycle begins gain. The little me feels big and powerful when filled with adrenalin during the fight.
    There is a strong egoic sense of identity in any drama.

Yes there are times when your spouse may not even like you far less love you. How do we best handle that situation?

By allowing it to be, that’s how.

There is enormous power for change in allowing.

Our partner has every right to express any emotion that she or he may have.
    By accepting that right and allowing that emotion, freedom arises, for its ok not to be liked or loved for that matter.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The moment that we accept that, not everyone or anyone can love us or like us all of the time then we are free of the pain that all kinds of relationships can cause.

We are no longer dependent on the external to prove to us that we are lovable.

When this is known peace of mind follows, you are laid back, you are easy to be
    with, and on the level of form you become very attractive, not that that matters.

You are also happy to be with you no reaching out for the next moment “to make me happy” Happiness comes from within.

We have a preconceived notion of what the role of our spouse is and of course what our role in the relationship is too. If our strongest role models ie our parents had a good relationship then chances are good that we will too.

Men see themselves as the bread winners and their woman as the bread maker.
    There are boundaries “You do that, this is what I do.”

We all need our partner to be there for us to listen fully, to be present.
    The biggest thing you can do for another is to be fully present, particularly when you are with your partner, leaving your own agenda aside.

Couples rarely really listen intently to each other. When the relationship ceases to meet your need to be fulfilled as a person then an obsession with work or hobby might start to take up so much time that there is little space is left for your partner.
    “Well at least I know who I am when I’m at work” How often have we heard people say that.
    So quarrels arise, both feel that they are neglected.

The male feels that he deserves better treatment and after all dosent he work hard to support the family.

The female is not too concerned about the money her man makes only that she works hard in the house and he is never there to give a helping hand.
    “Wouldn’t it be nice if he cooked the evening meal once and a while?” she says to her friends who are in a similar situation.

The good thing is that when we are open it becomes possible to see our partner and their actions and attitudes in an entirely different context. NLP calls this reframing.
    We could say we picture it differently.

See the other person’s point of view as if we are them.

It is also said that the other reflects back, mirrors part of us. So if our partner has aspects to their personality that we are none to fond of.

Could it be that we have similar character traits that we deny?

Our partner may push our buttons and we then say things and do things that we regret or justify later.

“That’s not like me” may be a passing thought. Whatever arises come up to be recognised accepted and let go of.

Without the buttons being pressed this blessing could not happened. So in a way our partner is to be thanked for bringing this into our awareness.

You will know that you have made real spiritual progress when a button is pressed and there is no knee jerk reaction from you.

You are immune but not indifferent. It’s not a “I couldn’t care less what you say or do” attitude.

It’s a state of non-judgmental love.

The situation is as it is.

As this begins to emerge in you the amazing thing is that your partner begins to change, if they are ready for change.
    Through total non judgmental acceptance of your partner and others the energy of love can bring about a raising of spiritual vibration and with that occurrence, their perspective changes, they see things including you in a different light.

Let “You’re not the person I married” be a compliment rather than an observation of decline.

The Divine can be brought into all aspects of your relationship including love making.

The path of Tantric is valid. It’s not within the scope of this book to go into that, there are many spiritual books on the subject but you have to be selective in what you buy.

Everything in this word from the plant realm to the human realm came into being through interaction between male and female of the species, God created it that way.
    Having a partner who is on the same spiritual or similar path to yours is a blessing. Having one who is not is also a blessing, they will be better at pushing your buttons perhaps.

The most important relationship of course is your personal relationship with Source/God and that is not an easy one at times either.

There comes a moment when awareness of Divine Love happens, it is not really describable but you will know it. Then the spiritual search starts in earnest, it’s as though you have tasted amirit the wine of the gods and nothing else will do. Human love is wonderful and of course has its very important place in the scheme of things but it is rarely unconditional or completely fulfilling. We will wander off into unconditional love for a moment.

A friend, a woman spoke of her unconditional love for her son, it came to mind and mind loves a story.

What if there had been a mix up at the maternity ward soon after birth and by mistake her child was given to another and vice versa. What then if years latter the accident was discovered and her “real” son appeared into her life, what then.
    I think the lady in the story would have been big enough to accept and love both “sons”.

Children all belong to God we are just the the channel through which they materialse in to form.

So yes we have responsibility for them but we don’t own them.

So what is unconditional love.

If there is any sense of ownership, attachment, mine me in there agenda then there is a condition to that love no matter how small its there therefore it is not unconditional.

A well known story told to the best of my memory. Two Indian squaws claimed this particular infant as their offspring. The council said, well take an arm each and pull the child towards you and the stronger of the two will win. The women started to pull and the child began to howl as though he was being physically torn apart with these women pulling in opposite directions. In moments one could stand the child’s pain no more and gave up the struggle and just let go.

The council members decided she must be the real mother as only such love could put the child before her desire to have him. Is that unconditional love? I don’t know but it comes pretty close. When you love another enough to let them go that’s an indicator of unconditional love. Sel-ish is the opposite because self is involved.

In the bible it says that God is a jealous God, what does that mean?
    It may be that what God said to have said meant “Get your priorities right” put no one ahead of your relationship with God, beside you yes. An equal partner yes.

So, one challenge that can arrive related to and in the relationship with God.
    Commonly referred to as the “Dark night of the Soul”

On finding God as an experience not second-hand, not completely describable, there is quite often a period of bliss, that may last moments or days, however when it, this feeling, goes there is a vacuum created, (this may no happen for some time) a great emptiness, a sadness, sense of great loss, grief.

These are only words but when it happens it is unbearable, you just want to be home with God.

This has to be overcome too and can take time. It may recur from time to time but it is a sign of growth, painful though it is.

A stepping stone if you will.

At this time it is good if you have a partner or friend capable of unconditional love and understanding.
    You may be temporarily incapable of accepting or giving human love at this time but this too shall pass.

Something also that needs to be addressed is that having experienced the love of God then human love can/may seem pale and lacking by comparison.

All I can say is that all love is of God and to let go of comparing.
    Just be in the moment and whatever form love takes be happy for that.
    Could be your pet showing even more affection than usual, they know.

PS This was pasted from a book I wrote about four years ago.

I am retired but was a health processional helping people with all kinds of emotional problems.

Many clients were helped to release anger.
    I would say simple things like
    "You know you ar going to forgive so why not now???"

I would also point our that the Major Countries were at War, millions were killed
    and very soon after the end of the war we are engaged in friendships, almost a thought it never happened.

Chris

Ps Anger is totally non productive and can cause ulcers.
    Anger invariably comes from fear of some kind.
    Fear of not being loved
    Fear of not being wanted /rejection/ being ridiculed.

You guys can add to the list-- its virtually endless

Chris
    Last edited by greybeard; 4th May 2011 at 15:16.
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

2. The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

ace (4th May 2011), astrid (5th May 2011), Carmen (4th May 2011), celestia (4th May 2011), Corncrake (5th October 2013), crosby (5th May 2011), dan i el (4th May 2011), dejavu (4th May 2011), edina (6th May 2011), Flash (23rd September 2016), Flasky (6th May 2011), Fred259 (4th May 2011), giovonni (4th May 2011), Lifesong (7th May 2011), Lord Sidious (4th May 2011), luciole (6th May 2011), manny (4th May 2011), Marin (6th May 2011), marko (4th May 2011), MHRD (5th May 2011), minkton (6th October 2013), Molly (11th October 2013), Nasu (4th May 2011), Njord (6th May 2011), noprophet (5th May 2011), noxon medem (6th May 2011), Omni (4th May 2011), pilotsimone (5th May 2011), Providence (4th May 2011), PurpleLama (4th December 2015), ROMANWKT (4th May 2011), Rosieposie (6th October 2013), sandy (4th May 2011), Sueanne47 (23rd September 2016), Tesla_WTC_Solution (5th October 2013), The One (4th May 2011), Woody (4th May 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,152 times in 2,815 posts

Default Re: Relationships

Very uplifting thank you

Change your thoughts and you change your world

4. Link to Post #3
    New Zealand Avalon Member Carmen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,527 times in 1,560 posts

Thanks Chris, that was a great description of relationships and especially the divine love aspect or level.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carmen For This Post:

crosby (5th May 2011), edina (6th May 2011), greybeard (4th May 2011), manny (4th May 2011), Nasu (4th May 2011)

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Providence's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you greybeard, very eloquent and wise.
    I am in the midst of a personal struggle right now, this was perfect timing...
    Peace

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Providence For This Post:

crosby (5th May 2011), edina (6th May 2011), greybeard (4th May 2011), manny (4th May 2011), Nasu (4th May 2011), noxon medem (6th May 2011)

8. Link to Post #5
    France Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 times in 288 posts

Positive-side-to-anger........

Do you use anger in a positive or destructive way? The good news is that anger, when used positively, can create change in the world–and within.

“Most of us believe that other people or situations have the ability to make us angry. This is a big misconception,” according to Janet Pfeiffer, author of The Secret Side of Anger. “No individual or event has the power to make you mad. Anger is actually a choice, one that occurs depending on that person’s perception (thought).”

Pfeiffer, a certified violence counselor and motivational speaker, asserts that anger is not inherently negative. It is an important and useful emotion that can be used as a motivating force to bring about positive change. If I witness an injustice in society, my anger can serve as a propellant to create new laws. Anger becomes a negative force when it is used in a destructive manner, either to hurt one’s self, another or to damage property. Unresolved anger leads to resentment and bitterness and can damage one’s relationships, health, careers, and overall enjoyment of life.

Anger, by definition, is a feeling of distress brought about by feelings of helplessness or powerlessness says Pfeiffe. People create their own feelings of being victimized because they feel as though others are controlling them. We need to understand that power and control come from within. Each individual is responsible for choosing their own thoughts. No one else controls that. From there, everything else flows: thoughts generate emotion and we act out what we feel. Everything in this equation is about personal responsibility. A victim is one without power. Regaining our personal power eliminates feelings of helplessness and anger. Others no longer have the ability to push our buttons and make us mad.

Her tips on reducing anger include:

•Put everything into perspective. Ask yourself if the situation is worth getting upset about. If not, let it go. If it is important, identify what needs to change and create a plan to accomplish that. Switch your focus (thought) from the problem (negative) to the solution (positive).

•The moment you feel anger well up inside you, remember SWaT: Stop, Walk and Talk. Stop what you are doing. This prevents the situation from escalating. Next, Walk away. Creating distance allows you to calm down and cool off. “Out of sight, out of mind”. Third: Talk yourself calm. Discuss your feelings and situation with a neutral party, seeking deeper understanding and guidance. If no one is available, talk to yourself. Repeat calming statements such as “I am fine. I am calm. I can handle this is an intelligent and rational manner.”

•Create a “Peace Plan”: daily activities to engage in that will naturally reduce your levels of anger. Some of my favorites are aerobic exercise, prayer, meditation, music, nature and my dogs. Each of these naturally replaces stress and anger with feelings of peace and serenity.

•Even a simple act such as deep breathing or smiling will help alleviate anger.
    “Some believe that if you have your health you have everything” she says. “I believe when you have inner peace you have it all.”

Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/inspiratio...#ixzz1LPKfVJff

Ace

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ace For This Post:

astrid (5th May 2011), crosby (6th May 2011), dan i el (4th May 2011), edina (6th May 2011), giovonni (4th May 2011), greybeard (4th May 2011), manny (4th May 2011), Nasu (4th May 2011), noxon medem (6th May 2011)

10. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I think it may help to have a scale of emotions.
    Bearing in mind that emotions surface mainly in relationships

Anger is well down the scale but it gets one out of apathy
    So the one next up will pull you out of the emotion below
    Everything that is before courage tends to be selfish.
    Courage onward you are aware of the needs/feelings of others and will increasingly put their needs wants desires before you own.
    This one is taken from "Transcending Levels of Consciousness" written By Dr David Hawkins a prominent Psychiatrist.

Lowest first.

Shame
    Guilt Apathy/hatred
    Grief
    Fear
    Desire
    Anger
    Pride
    ----------
    Courage
    Neutrality
    Willingness
    Acceptance
    Reason
    Love
    Unconditional love
    Joy
    Peace
    Enlightenment

Keep in mind that one level is not better than--just different than.

Generally I was give this advice---"Put no head above or below your own" "Neither a follower or a leader be"

And on the subject of relationships -- never go to sleep without amicably resolving a diference, if humanly possible--

Chris

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

ace (4th May 2011), dan i el (4th May 2011), edina (6th May 2011), manny (4th May 2011), Molly (11th October 2013), noxon medem (6th May 2011), Providence (5th May 2011)

12. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The importance of understanding the mechanics of relationships is crucial

Why?????

The moment there is another there is something or some one to relate to

One quote "Hell is the other"

In this world we have opportunity to relate to--- have relationships.
    How we understand the mechanics or not leads to a happy or not so happy life.

Relationships are not just one to one but clubs versus another one, forum verses another.

Work situations, family. the list is endless
    There is nothing in this world that we dont relate to.

As said the relationship can be happy or unhappy.
    Frankly if the relationship is unhappy it is down to a misunderstanding--its mind stuff.
    From a small misunderstanding world wars can break out.
    Divorce rate is high-- and on it goes.

What caused the problem?
    Many things can, different points of view, different ways of looking things.

Everyone genuinely thinks they are right and doing the right thing--- that is everyone without exception is acting for the best.

The best from their point of view that is, (added to give clarity)

I hope I have covered some of it in the first post and certainly anyone who is interested in forming good relationships will find much
    the Enlightenment:Ego, what is it? thread

Virtually every conflict, small or large, in the history of the Universe has been caused by ego or rather not fully understanding it.

Problem is-- some seem to enjoy a good "fight" even if just as a spectator sport

Chris
    Last edited by greybeard; 5th May 2011 at 22:47.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

edina (6th May 2011), luciole (6th May 2011), Molly (11th October 2013)

14. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Some times I feel I am preaching to the teachers.
    There are many here who know more on the subject of spirituality, relationships, forgiveness and humility than I do.
    I start a thread with the desire that information will be shared as a to way street.
    I learn more from being "wrong" than being right.
    So all points of view are of value to me.

Regards Chris

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

edina (6th May 2011), giovonni (6th May 2011), noxon medem (6th May 2011)

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member edina's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,172 times in 2,420 posts

HI greybeard, thanks for starting this thread, the way I see it, Spirit lives, moves and dwells in our relationships, in the spaces in between us, like the sweet fragrance in the air.

We are very quickly moving into a time frame where by everything we think and understand about ourselves, and therefore our relationships to our other selves, will become transformed.

Understanding the nature of relationship, from a mother to a child, a couple, friends, family, communities, tribes, nations, planetary beings,....these will become increasingly paramount, you have a wise heart dear friend.

Let's start sharing our concerns, and our wisdom, and start honing our relationship skills, so that together, arm upon arm, we may help each other through the days of our transformation...
    I happily co-create a balanced world culture harmonized with Infinite Intelligence. ~ edina (Renaissance Humanity)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

giovonni (6th May 2011), noxon medem (6th May 2011)

18. Link to Post #10
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 times in 343 posts

Hello greybeard, great thread.
    I am learning a lot about anger that I didn,t know.
    As far as relationships go, the only thing I know for sure is that, women are from Venus and men are from Mars.
    It just like that is the very best describtion of a human to human relationship that I,ve ever heard.

toothpick

19. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    I think it may help to have a scale of emotions.
    Bearing in mind that emotions surface mainly in relationships

Anger is well down the scale but it gets one out of apathy
    So the one next up will pull you out of the emotion below
    Everything that is before courage tends to be selfish.
    Courage onward you are aware of the needs/feelings of others and will increasingly put their needs wants desires before you own.
    This one is taken from "Transcending Levels of Consciousness" written By Dr David Hawkins a prominent Psychiatrist.

Lowest first.

Shame
    Guilt Apathy/hatred
    Grief
    Fear
    Desire
    Anger
    Pride
    ----------
    Courage
    Neutrality
    Willingness
    Acceptance
    Reason
    Love
    Unconditional love
    Joy
    Peace
    Enlightenment

Keep in mind that one level is not better than--just different than.

Generally I was give this advice---"Put no head above or below your own" "Neither a follower or a leader be"

And on the subject of relationships -- never go to sleep without amicably resolving a diference, if humanly possible--

Chris
    I just love all of David Hawkins material. Here's an image of the maps of consciousness that someone posted on the old Avalon, when they were doing a big, big, big Synchronous Global Meditation.
    I believe that there were something like 2800 - 2900 people participating in this meditation.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Oops, forgot the map, Here you go!!!

http://weblogs.hianoto.net/wp-conten...ciousness2.gif

I happily co-create a balanced world culture harmonized with Infinite Intelligence. ~ edina (Renaissance Humanity)

20. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Okay one more spin off from the Hawkins ideas on the maps of consciousness and its relationship to relationships. I wonder if anyone remembers Ian Lundgren, he was another person that did many, many workshops on the Mayan Calendar. Ian has since died of cancer, he is very beloved of so many people. He had some cool ideas on how we can move up and down the scale of our emotions.

I think his take presented here may be helpful to this discussion. You guys let me know what you think. Hope you all enjoy!!!!

21. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks so much Edina for your input.
    I was very happy to be transported back to Avalon.
    The first forum I felt a sense of belonging.
    I still talk with Mudra from time to time.
    I visited America for a David Hawkins seminar "Living the Prayer" excellent.

Chris

22. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

edina (6th May 2011)

23. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I'll post this over at Nexus, too, I've noticed that different groups of people develop conversations in a different way, I think it must be the way the members of each group come together, part of the group soul/being theory. It's a Dinny theory just now, I wonder if there is any research out there on this? Do you know of any?

I started really noticing this phenomenon when I was an instructor at the 17th Air Force Leadership School, in my mid-twenties. Well, actually I was pretty certain of it by the time I went in Basic Training at 17, and was convinced of it when I saw the very different personalities of the seminars and then classes coming through while teaching.

I'm sure you've noticed a similar phenomenon in you work.

24. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by edina (here)
    I'll post this over at Nexus, too, I've noticed that different groups of people develop conversations in a different way, I think it must be the way the members of each group come together, part of the group soul/being theory. It's a Dinny theory just now, I wonder if there is any research out there on this? Do you know of any?

I started really noticing this phenomenon when I was an instructor at the 17th Air Force Leadership School, in my mid-twenties. Well, actually I was pretty certain of it by the time I went in Basic Training at 17, and was convinced of it when I saw the very different personalities of the seminars and then classes coming through while teaching.

I'm sure you've noticed a similar phenomenon in you work.
    Im laughing at me.
    We have just got the results of elections in Scotland.

The Scottish Nationalist Party has done exceedingly well--- winning a working majority.
    All of a sudden I am very proud to be Scottish.
    Identity runs very deep.
    Pride in one's Country is good ---nationalism not so --- all isms separate-- they create a chasm.
    So I forgot I am first spirit and second a human being-- male Scottish.

Relationships are what the mind says they are --- labels --- friend or foe.
    The ego is divisive and its last refuge is specialness.
    All of a sudden there are followers of perceived specialness, a group identity forms which sets the relationship between those who follow and those who dont.

Chris

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

edina (6th May 2011), K626 (6th May 2011)

26. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 times in 828 posts

Happy for you Chris me old mucka.

cheers

K
    In all ages, in all lands, there have been those who seek truth. This seeking is an individual's search for something more than self, and much more than the confines of this worldly system. It is the seeker, who understands there is more than what meets the eye, who is not afraid and makes the choice to go into the unknown. The process of awaking has begun, the discovery is underway.
    Alan Watt

27. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The Dinny theory is correct edina
    A lot of work has been done on the felt need for a group identity
    The need to bond to have an Alpha male or female leading.
    The in language that developpes
    In UK the Upper class have etiquette and a certain use of language-- an "outsider" can be spotted in moments by inappropriate action or language-- its very subtle

So relationships instead of uniting tend to isolate and divide.
    You either fit or you dont.
    A longtime ago I decide just to be me -- I dont "belong" to any club or forum -- I may be a member but that is different.
    If I belong, that belonging owns me and I have responsibility to the group image.
    To err is to be ostracized.

More thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Chris

28. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hey greybeard, I just watched a video that giovonni posted over in her friends thread, the laughing Bhudda, it seems relevant to what you are talking about here aka, laughing at yourself.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...371#post207371

29. Link to Post #19
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Relationships. Thought I would bump this

Relationships

There is as joke -saying “ Eventually I became so successful that my partner could afford to divorce me and took all the money”

How does that come about?
    Men, some women too, tend to get fixated on “The Project” The project can take on many forms, it could be or a hobby or work or both.

The me is always reaching out for something in the future its goal orientated and looking for something to complete me to make me happy, to be some one. Its never happy in the present moment so rarely is the me content with what is.

There is the thought that when I find the right partner I will be fulfilled, she or he will make me happy. That’s an unreal expectation and besides if the source of your happiness is external to you, then in a very subtle way you are giving that outside source control over you through your emotions wants and needs. You meet the seemingly ideal partner you can tick all the boxes on your desire list. That called falling in love.

At the start you only have eyes for the other half, no time for projects, then after a while the projects start to beckon, the relationship starts to be routine, the aliveness, freshness, diminished, a pattern established.

When the realisation comes that love we feel for another is not actually dependent on the other but love that emerges within ourselves and is inherent within all human form then there is no sense of loss of identity if the relationship goes through a difficult patch.

There is no longer a feeling of being wronged to carrying the poor me story to anyone who will listen.

There can be a very strong love affair with the me story, “Look what happened to me” Our whole identity seems taken up with the story of what happened.
    Looking in from the outside it can be seen that most relationships are dysfunctional but they survive.

Why?

Because there is pay value in that kind of a relationship.
    The people involved in it would not see it or agree that they are getting something out of the constant bickering fighting making up cycle.

This is why.

There is the addiction to the adrenalin high from the argument, the opportunity to prove im right your wrong and if all else fails I might hit you. “Well he or she deserved it” is the justifying of it.

With every addiction there is a low after the high and of course its so unbearable to be in the low that the high is once more sought.
    That might be through the seeking to make love after a fight.

The ego is very cunning and will go to great length to get its own way even to the point of seeming to apologizing, saying “im sorry dear it was my fault it wont happen again”

Of course after the high of the make up, the love making, then of course it all happens again, it could not be otherwise.
    Life has got flat in the routine of it, no sense of being alive, of being me, no enemy to make me feel strong.

There is need of the adrenalin high and things have got kind off quiet, boring even. It’s a bit like the expression used by Nurses “Flat liners” that’s when the peaks and troughs on the heart monitor cease and all that’s left is a flat line, the patient is deceased.

So the cycle begins gain. The little me feels big and powerful when filled with adrenalin during the fight.
    There is a strong egoic sense of identity in any drama.

Yes there are times when your spouse may not even like you far less love you. How do we best handle that situation?

By allowing it to be, that’s how.

There is enormous power for change in allowing.

Our partner has every right to express any emotion that she or he may have.
    By accepting that right and allowing that emotion, freedom arises, for its ok not to be liked or loved for that matter.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The moment that we accept that, not everyone or anyone can love us or like us all of the time then we are free of the pain that all kinds of relationships can cause.

We are no longer dependent on the external to prove to us that we are lovable.

When this is known peace of mind follows, you are laid back, you are easy to be
    with, and on the level of form you become very attractive, not that that matters.

You are also happy to be with you no reaching out for the next moment “to make me happy” Happiness comes from within.

We have a preconceived notion of what the role of our spouse is and of course what our role in the relationship is too. If our strongest role models ie our parents had a good relationship then chances are good that we will too.

Men see themselves as the bread winners and their woman as the bread maker.
    There are boundaries “You do that, this is what I do.”

We all need our partner to be there for us to listen fully, to be present.
    The biggest thing you can do for another is to be fully present, particularly when you are with your partner, leaving your own agenda aside.

Couples rarely really listen intently to each other. When the relationship ceases to meet your need to be fulfilled as a person then an obsession with work or hobby might start to take up so much time that there is little space is left for your partner.
    “Well at least I know who I am when I’m at work” How often have we heard people say that.
    So quarrels arise, both feel that they are neglected.

The male feels that he deserves better treatment and after all dosent he work hard to support the family.

The female is not too concerned about the money her man makes only that she works hard in the house and he is never there to give a helping hand.
    “Wouldn’t it be nice if he cooked the evening meal once and a while?” she says to her friends who are in a similar situation.

The good thing is that when we are open it becomes possible to see our partner and their actions and attitudes in an entirely different context. NLP calls this reframing.
    We could say we picture it differently.

See the other person’s point of view as if we are them.

It is also said that the other reflects back, mirrors part of us. So if our partner has aspects to their personality that we are none to fond of.

Could it be that we have similar character traits that we deny?

Our partner may push our buttons and we then say things and do things that we regret or justify later.

“That’s not like me” may be a passing thought. Whatever arises come up to be recognised accepted and let go of.

Without the buttons being pressed this blessing could not happened. So in a way our partner is to be thanked for bringing this into our awareness.

You will know that you have made real spiritual progress when a button is pressed and there is no knee jerk reaction from you.

You are immune but not indifferent. It’s not a “I couldn’t care less what you say or do” attitude.

It’s a state of non-judgmental love.

The situation is as it is.

As this begins to emerge in you the amazing thing is that your partner begins to change, if they are ready for change.
    Through total non judgmental acceptance of your partner and others the energy of love can bring about a raising of spiritual vibration and with that occurrence, their perspective changes, they see things including you in a different light.

Let “You’re not the person I married” be a compliment rather than an observation of decline.

The Divine can be brought into all aspects of your relationship including love making.

The path of Tantric is valid. It’s not within the scope of this book to go into that, there are many spiritual books on the subject but you have to be selective in what you buy.

Everything in this word from the plant realm to the human realm came into being through interaction between male and female of the species, God created it that way.
    Having a partner who is on the same spiritual or similar path to yours is a blessing. Having one who is not is also a blessing, they will be better at pushing your buttons perhaps.

The most important relationship of course is your personal relationship with Source/God and that is not an easy one at times either.

There comes a moment when awareness of Divine Love happens, it is not really describable but you will know it. Then the spiritual search starts in earnest, it’s as though you have tasted amirit the wine of the gods and nothing else will do. Human love is wonderful and of course has its very important place in the scheme of things but it is rarely unconditional or completely fulfilling. We will wander off into unconditional love for a moment.

A friend, a woman spoke of her unconditional love for her son, it came to mind and mind loves a story.

What if there had been a mix up at the maternity ward soon after birth and by mistake her child was given to another and vice versa. What then if years latter the accident was discovered and her “real” son appeared into her life, what then.
    I think the lady in the story would have been big enough to accept and love both “sons”.

Children all belong to God we are just the the channel through which they materialse in to form.

So yes we have responsibility for them but we don’t own them.

So what is unconditional love.

If there is any sense of ownership, attachment, mine me in there agenda then there is a condition to that love no matter how small its there therefore it is not unconditional.

A well known story told to the best of my memory. Two Indian squaws claimed this particular infant as their offspring. The council said, well take an arm each and pull the child towards you and the stronger of the two will win. The women started to pull and the child began to howl as though he was being physically torn apart with these women pulling in opposite directions. In moments one could stand the child’s pain no more and gave up the struggle and just let go.

The council members decided she must be the real mother as only such love could put the child before her desire to have him. Is that unconditional love? I don’t know but it comes pretty close. When you love another enough to let them go that’s an indicator of unconditional love. Sel-ish is the opposite because self is involved.

In the bible it says that God is a jealous God, what does that mean?
    It may be that what God said to have said meant “Get your priorities right” put no one ahead of your relationship with God, beside you yes. An equal partner yes.

So, one challenge that can arrive related to and in the relationship with God.
    Commonly referred to as the “Dark night of the Soul”

On finding God as an experience not second-hand, not completely describable, there is quite often a period of bliss, that may last moments or days, however when it, this feeling, goes there is a vacuum created, (this may no happen for some time) a great emptiness, a sadness, sense of great loss, grief.

These are only words but when it happens it is unbearable, you just want to be home with God.

This has to be overcome too and can take time. It may recur from time to time but it is a sign of growth, painful though it is.

A stepping stone if you will.

At this time it is good if you have a partner or friend capable of unconditional love and understanding.
    You may be temporarily incapable of accepting or giving human love at this time but this too shall pass.

Something also that needs to be addressed is that having experienced the love of God then human love can/may seem pale and lacking by comparison.

All I can say is that all love is of God and to let go of comparing.
    Just be in the moment and whatever form love takes be happy for that.
    Could be your pet showing even more affection than usual, they know.

PS This was pasted from a book I wrote about four years ago.

I am retired but was a health processional helping people with all kinds of emotional problems.

Many clients were helped to release anger.
    I would say simple things like
    "You know you ar going to forgive so why not now???"

I would also point our that the Major Countries were at War, millions were killed
    and very soon after the end of the war we are engaged in friendships, almost a thought it never happened.

Chris

Ps Anger is totally non productive and can cause ulcers.
    Anger invariably comes from fear of some kind.
    Fear of not being loved
    Fear of not being wanted /rejection/ being ridiculed.

You guys can add to the list-- its virtually endless

Chris

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bob (5th October 2013), Corncrake (5th October 2013), sandy (6th October 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (5th October 2013)

31. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member Ba-ba-Ra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 times in 1,567 posts

The Dinny theory is correct edina
    A lot of work has been done on the felt need for a group identity
    The need to bond to have an Alpha male or female leading.
    The in language that developpes
    In UK the Upper class have etiquette and a certain use of language-- an "outsider" can be spotted in moments by inappropriate action or language-- its very subtle

So relationships instead of uniting tend to isolate and divide.
    You either fit or you dont.
    A longtime ago I decide just to be me -- I dont "belong" to any club or forum -- I may be a member but that is different.
    If I belong, that belonging owns me and I have responsibility to the group image.
    To err is to be ostracized.

More thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Chris

You might as well be yourself, everyone else is taken.

I believe said by Oscar Wilde but not sure and it doesn't matter - it's the concept that's important.
    Last edited by Ba-ba-Ra; 5th October 2013 at 20:40.
    Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ba-ba-Ra For This Post:

greybeard (5th October 2013), sandy (6th October 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (5th October 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast