+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ordained Spirituality

1. Link to Post #21
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: Ordained Spirituality

Hi Dennis Leahy,

Is the Pope-Mobile for sale? Buying a second hand car in Italy never seems like a good deal, even if it's had one careful owner. Not quite at that stage of building a Gothich church, why Gothic? I'm going in baby steps, slowly slowly catch your monkey.

I apparently did fall for the diploma although it is used to legalise you to "preach" in certain US states. Others require a character reference ($18.00 from the Universal Life Church). I'll get my own done at the local register office with a doctor friend.

You seem to be very interested in my interest in the Universal Life Church. Do you have an ulterior motive in that interest? Don't worry, if you do I'll forgive you. I can do that now.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    Yes, silly person. It's free to become a Universal Life Church minister. Be careful, next you'll spend money on a pope-mobile or end up owing the IMF a fortune when they lend you enough to build a giant Gothic church is the Brasilian jungle.

So, if you really did do this, you must have had a reason (especially if you fell for the "diploma".) What was your real reason? And, whatever your reason... if your real reason was as a conversation starter, or to get attract a girl who always wanted to marry a minister, c'mon, be honest, tell us.

Dennis

2. Link to Post #22
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hi Babba Guru,

You speak of great thoughtfulness and knowledge in your guides of faith. As you said that the name of your faith means art and life I thought the first guide was to do with high wire acts.

I was sort of hoping you could all come over to join my little ensemble, well it's just me and my dog (which rules me out for your church - we accept pets). We need the subs. Baby steps...

Best regards,

Steve

Quote Posted by Nasu (here)
    Quote Posted by steve_a (here)
    Hi Everybody,

I was considering opening up my own church, but then I saw it cost extra. As I'm a frugal minister I thought to myself, "There's got to be an easier way", after all I would hate to think the Universal Life Church ordained me just for the money.

I had a quick chat with a friend os mine and they told me I had to have Articles of Faith to begin setting up the church, so I thought, "Sod it, I'll ask the forum members to help me out!"

So here goes. I need ten articles of faith, which will describe the object of the church. As my church will be 'open' I reckon we can rustle up these articles between us.

Each article should begin, "We believe......"

Best regards,

Steve
    Hi Brother Steve

Since going through the trans-formative process of joining and being ordained in the Universal Life Church. I have formed my own small splinter group, called Dojitsu. We are about two hundred strong, but would welcome your addition.

Do in Japanese means the way, jitsu means the art, so the literal translation is the art of the way, or the way of the art, either way its art and art mimics life, life is the ultimate freedom and freedom of thought is the ultimate way. We try not to over complicate things, it is whatever you make of it, like all beliefs.

Dojitsu is a religion, like Buddhism is a religion. Technically they are both philosophies, however, like all things depend largely on the individual members perspective and freedom of thought. Dojitsu members are known as Wajedi's and can come from many paths, Dojitsu is open to all men, all women, all races, all religions, all political groups, all sexualities and all ages, sorry no pets.

Dojitsu's seven guides of faith:

1. Thou shalt have Balance - There is no good and bad only balance
    2. Though shalt make Allowances - What you allow, will be
    3. Though shalt have intent - Thought made manifest, do what we intend
    4. Thou shalt accept the Law of Attraction - What you put out you will receive
    5. Thou shalt respect your neighbor's faith - Including possessions and relationships
    6. Thou shalt be free to think whatever thou like - See four and seven
    7. Thou shalt always do the right thing - See one through six

- Babba Guru. xxx

3. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,034 times in 1,088 posts

Hi Babba Guru,

You speak of great thoughtfulness and knowledge in your guides of faith. As you said that the name of your faith means art and life I thought the first guide was to do with high wire acts.

I was sort of hoping you could all come over to join my little ensemble, well it's just me and my dog (which rules me out for your church - we accept pets). We need the subs. Baby steps...

Best regards,

Steve

Quote Posted by Nasu (here)
    Hi Everybody,

I was considering opening up my own church, but then I saw it cost extra. As I'm a frugal minister I thought to myself, "There's got to be an easier way", after all I would hate to think the Universal Life Church ordained me just for the money.

I had a quick chat with a friend os mine and they told me I had to have Articles of Faith to begin setting up the church, so I thought, "Sod it, I'll ask the forum members to help me out!"

So here goes. I need ten articles of faith, which will describe the object of the church. As my church will be 'open' I reckon we can rustle up these articles between us.

Best regards,

Steve
    Hi Brother Steve

Since going through the trans-formative process of joining and being ordained in the Universal Life Church. I have formed my own small splinter group, called Dojitsu. We are about two hundred strong, but would welcome your addition.

Do in Japanese means the way, jitsu means the art, so the literal translation is the art of the way, or the way of the art, either way its art and art mimics life, life is the ultimate freedom and freedom of thought is the ultimate way. We try not to over complicate things, it is whatever you make of it, like all beliefs.

Dojitsu is a religion, like Buddhism is a religion. Technically they are both philosophies, however, like all things depend largely on the individual members perspective and freedom of thought. Dojitsu members are known as Wajedi's and can come from many paths, Dojitsu is open to all men, all women, all races, all religions, all political groups, all sexualities and all ages, sorry no pets.

Dojitsu's seven guides of faith:

1. Thou shalt have Balance - There is no good and bad only balance
    2. Though shalt make Allowances - What you allow, will be
    3. Though shalt have intent - Thought made manifest, do what we intend
    4. Thou shalt accept the Law of Attraction - What you put out you will receive
    5. Thou shalt respect your neighbor's faith - Including possessions and relationships
    6. Thou shalt be free to think whatever thou like - See four and seven
    7. Thou shalt always do the right thing - See one through six

- Babba Guru. xxx
    Thanks Brother Steve

We could come over to you, we are a movable feast. You would need to take on a more thought provoking name, perhaps Pope? I leave it to your good judgment. As for the pets rule, you will come to see its wisdom over time, they rarely bring any dews and hate to tithe their toys, bones or treats, in short they just want a free spiritual ride. Its the 80/20 rule, they tend to take up 80% of your time for 20% of their effort.. Babba Guru. xxx

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), sunflower (9th May 2011)

5. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

Hi Dennis Leahy,

You seem to be very interested in my interest in the Universal Life Church. Do you have an ulterior motive in that interest? Don't worry, if you do I'll forgive you. I can do that now.

Steve

My motive is not so ulterior. I was curious why you started this thread. I wondered if it was just to mock the religion (again, fair game), or to alert fellow Avalonians about the existence of the church and the liberal policy to become an ordained minister - in case they might have the need to legally possess those credentials for some worthy reason. I would guess that the most common reason people become an ordained Universal Life Church minister is as a lark. I would guess that the second most common reason would be that some friends were getting married, and wanted a friend to perform the ceremony, rather than a "justice of the peace" or priest/rabbi/minister of some faith the couple was not really interested in.

I have never known anyone to actually take the step to receive a tax advantage (this does exist within the US income tax structure.) To legally/legitimately do that in the US, I think the person would have to declare that their MAIN occupation is as a minister, and I would think you'd very quickly open up a barrel of snakes (that's much nastier that a can of worms) by messing with the Internal Revenue Service. I believe you are in Brazil, IIRC, and so you'd have to consult with Brasilian authorities to determine if there is a tax advantage for you (and that of course, assumes that you are actually going to make it you main vocation and not just perform one wedding or something.)

Thanks for the offer of forgiveness. Since my motives are pure, I'll not need it in this case, but it is good to know in advance that you are quick to forgive.

I'm still curious why you became a minister. Will you tell us? Did I hit it in my #1 or #2 guess above? (My own reason was neither of those. Maybe you have an interesting story to tell about something positive you plan to do that somehow required you to be a minister?)

Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis Leahy; 9th May 2011 at 21:20. Reason: more typos, sheesh

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), Nasu (9th May 2011), sunflower (9th May 2011)

7. Link to Post #25
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Thumbs up Re: Ordained Spirituality

Congratulation Steve

thanks for sharing this personal spiritual event ~ from within your heart's soulful journey.

8. Link to Post #26
    Australia Avalon Member Roseheart's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey Steve,

Now that you're a minister I find you way more attractive and will be p.m -ing you.
    Are you going to be the sort of minister who dresses up or just wear plain clothes?
    Like, will you be wearing that pointy fish hat like the pope and the robes and sparkly stuff? I think that's better than the all black thing some of them have going on, that's a bit depressing and you don't want to bring people down...

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roseheart For This Post:

Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), giovonni (9th May 2011), Isthatso (11th May 2011), Nasu (9th May 2011)

10. Link to Post #27
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,835 times in 3,731 posts

Steve

You made an "application" which was accepted and in doing so you contracted with the church did you not?

I hope this is as innocent as it sounds

Quote Once you become a pastor, minister, rabbi or priest, you can proceed to perform baptisms, administer traditional weddings and even start your own ministry. ULC can support you with an array of online church services including ministerial training, spiritual books and guides, and many other resources.

Become a minister today, it is always free of charge. You do not have to purchase anything from ULC to be an online ordained minister. All that we ask is for you to promote freedom of and from religion and to "do that which is right." It is up to each individual to determine what is right as long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others and is within the law

Quote Within 24 hours after your submission, you will receive an email to confirm your ordination. Please read this email carefully; It is not only a welcome message explaining your ordination, it also contains important information and links.
    ** If you did not receive the message, then please contact us to verify that your ordination was added.
    Please can I see this?

Anyway, thanks for this educating thread. I can almost sense the knee-jerk reactions to it from here, but as one who does not suffer much jerky-knees these days - it bought a massive smile to my face.

John..
    Last edited by Anchor; 10th May 2011 at 03:53.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), giovonni (9th May 2011), Omni (10th May 2011), sunflower (9th May 2011)

12. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,331 times in 1,296 posts

The problem is, you don't need anybody to ordain you. To think that the simple act of ordination grants any kind of spiritual talent or authority is somewhat erroneous in my eyes; initiation can't come from outside, I don't think. As for starting your own church — you don't need ULC approval to do that at all, how do you think that diploma mill started in the first place?[COLOR="red"]

Edit:

To Dennis: he may just have been trying to share his news, as here https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...-news-Everyone
    Last edited by Seikou-Kishi; 10th May 2011 at 00:20.

13. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

I have a Stonehenge Action Playset.

You two can fight over me now.

14. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,755 times in 8,385 posts

Denis, you're derogatory responses to Steve A's posts are not in keeping with the principles and aims of Avalon Forum.

I therefore banish you to one week's vacation.

15. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

WEll know you now someone who has actually taken the step for Non profit status.

The reason that is made available to people is that

1) they have alternative beliefs that there are no ordinations for.

2) Someone like Jordan Maxwell could easily have more knowledge about alternative religions and easily qualify as a minister so why bother sending him through seminary school when he can kick everyone's ass there ..he or someone like him could do that.

2) they are seeking tax shelter for an organization and need a reason to claim non profit. the young man who rents my garage is using one to create a non profit retreat for his own personal use.

3) Ding dongs looking for credibility when their alternative joo joo fails to produce it.

4) Cutting edge healers that are top notch but need a security shelter because they are breaking the law.

5) With more states mandating that touch therapy healers cant' TOUCH people without a massage license having an ordination puts you under the religious umbrella. Ministers are expected to touch people and we still have the sacred cow between church and state.

6) I was ordained by another minister for a time before I was officially made an ovate...but only for non profit status. I don't use it for any other reasons because ovation doesnt' fall under this sort of thing.

7) Some people like the parking pass and the press pass and get it for that reason. To bust in on events that the public otherwise is not allowed into. Gee why would someone in the alternative community want to see what the press is cobbering up?!

8) Cops don't ticket ministers. They could but they don't...not much anyway

You do not have to claim full time status as a minister. May very by state. Claiming Non profit tax status is not messing with the IRS, its making you more impervious to them messing with you. There's a zillion ways to boink the IRS by their own statues. In forum we are ALWAYS talking about UCC law.

Hi Dennis Leahy,

Steve

My motive is not so ulterior. I was curious why you started this thread. I wondered if it was just to mock the religion (again, fair game), or to alert fellow Avalonians about the existence of the church and the liberal policy to become an ordained minister - in case they might have the need to legally possess those credentials for some worthy reason. I would guess that the most common reason people become an ordained Universal Life Church minister is as a lark. I would guess that the second most common reason would be that some friends were getting married, and wanted a friend to perform the ceremony, rather than a "justice of the peace" or priest/rabbi/minister of some faith the couple was not really interested in.

I have never known anyone to actually take the step to receive a tax advantage (this does exist within the US income tax structure.) To legally/legitimately do that in the US, I think the person would have to declare that their MAIN occupation is as a minister, and I would think you'd very quickly open up a barrel of snakes (that's much nastier that a can of worms) by messing with the Internal Revenue Service. I believe you are in Brazil, IIRC, and so you'd have to consult with Brasilian authorities to determine if there is a tax advantage for you (and that of course, assumes that you are actually going to make it you main vocation and not just perform one wedding or something.)

Thanks for the offer of forgiveness. Since my motives are pure, I'll not need it in this case, but it is good to know in advance that you are quick to forgive.

I'm still curious why you became a minister. Will you tell us? Did I hit it in my #1 or #2 guess above? (My own reason was neither of those. Maybe you have an interesting story to tell about something positive you plan to do that somehow required you to be a minister?)

Dennis

16. Link to Post #32
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 times in 228 posts

Thanks Steve_a!

This is awesome brother!

Didn't know this was so easy. I am in the process of starting the Church of the Flightless Kiwi.

The church has already performed its first Miracle! Check THIS out!

Anyway, all are welcome, all are loved.

We're in good company around here.

There is even a social networking site for us.

I looked hard, but couldn't find Inelia there, in spite of her also being a member.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure - I may have rushed into this with a little too much enthusiasm.

As in "Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread".

Why?

Well, I told Mrs Perfectresonance that she's now married to an Ordained Minister, and... to put it delicately, she wasn't amused and felt this step should have been preceded by a talk to discuss if this was a good idea.

oops.

Does anyone know how to reverse this rash decision?

You know... in the event I can't get Mrs P to see it my way?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to perfectresonance For This Post:

sunflower (10th May 2011)

18. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,422 times in 3,394 posts

hmmm....

I think i'm missing something here.

Possibly the whole point.

Maybe an Aspie moment.
    The greatest privilege of a human life is to become a
    midwife to the awakening of the Soul in another person.”
    ~ Plato

19. Link to Post #34
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,835 times in 3,731 posts

Hi Everybody,

Best regards,

Steve
    Hello Steve,

I have spent a lunchtime on this excellent idea. I expect that these need some work but here could be a first draft.

Church of the blatant hidden agenda

1) We believe that the entire and boundless expanse of the multi-verse is the single ongoing thought of the one infinite creator.

2) We believe that freewill is the first distortion of the original thought.

3) We believe that the freewill of the one infinite creator has caused everything to be, including the infinite fragments of consciousness that we are.

4) We believe that we are equal in the eyes of the one infinite creator, neither being higher or lower than each other.

5) We believe that in this incarnated life, the law of attraction enables us to manifest our illusion and that we are co-creators in that illusion at any given time/space moment

6) We believe that our lives are conditioned by freewill choice and the responsibility for those choices is ours alone

7) We believe we are free, but that we have been tricked into thinking, feeling and believing and therefore manifesting the situation that we are not free - and that the work of our church is to bring about the letting go of this illusion of bondage

8) We believe in the importance of gratitude for our capacity as fragments of the one infinite creator to experience the one infinite creation

9) We believe that the service to others path is the defining choice of our church

10) We believe that the life we are currently living is a fleeting experience, in time

11) We believe that the life we are currently living is a fleeting experience of time

12) We believe in forgiveness, healing, truth, love, light, kindness and harmony

13) We believe in you and that you should join us!

14) We believe that the donate button here -> {placeholder} <- is worth pressing even if you don't want to join! [Recommended donation - all you have!]

Steve, now that is done, I think we should move on quickly to the development of a policy on dealing with heretic's thereby creating division and fear among the masses. This would accompany a more shall we say enthusiastic recruitment drive - the sooner we start the better.

I have secured funding for a wholesale supply of quality black T shirts and jackboots - this may be of assistance in the subsequent phases of the ministerial mission

Additionally, and quite suspiciously, before I even posted this several credit card organizers have petitioned me in email for the donate button functionality to be directed toward their processing centers - how lucky is that!

Enthusiastically yours,

John..
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

sunflower (10th May 2011)

21. Link to Post #35
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hi Dennis Leahy,

Why did I become a minister? All of the above and the fact that at the Universal Life Church there isn't all that paper shuffling needed as there is in other hhmmm (clearing my throat) places, after all, minister is a minister is a minister. Right? We all get the same credibility.

If I have a positive plan that warrents me to become a minister? I'll say so. You'll have to come to my congregation to find out (I'm not even sure yet)! You'll feel a lot lighter when you leave. On your way out you'll feel like you've lost ten pounds (you need to be British to appreciate that). When in Rome.....

Best regards,

Steve

Hi Dennis Leahy,

Steve

Dennis

22. Link to Post #36
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hi norman,

Thanks foryour support. One could be forgiven in thinking that Dennis could consider a minister at the Universal Life Church a shill, or con man if you will.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Denis, you're derogatory responses to Steve A's posts are not in keeping with the principles and aims of Avalon Forum.

I therefore banish you to one week's vacation.
    [COLOR="red"][COLOR="red"]

23. Link to Post #37
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hi Roseheart,

Thanks for the PM. I'll get back to you, but in the meantime all I can say is, "On a bicycle".

I haven't decided which 'look' I'll use for my ministerial duties, so I'm still in the closet about that one, although I wasn't thinking about it when you mentioned pointy fish hat, that did draw my attention a little. I understand what you mean about the all black thing. That is sooo 1970's.

However, I'll obviously need to have a new name to make me seem more mysterious and special, something like Zark or Zontek. Perhaps the members here can help me out with a new name and then I can baptise myself! That'd be a first!

Best regards,

Steve

Quote Posted by Roseheart (here)
    Hey Steve,

Now that you're a minister I find you way more attractive and will be p.m -ing you.
    Are you going to be the sort of minister who dresses up or just wear plain clothes?
    Like, will you be wearing that pointy fish hat like the pope and the robes and sparkly stuff? I think that's better than the all black thing some of them have going on, that's a bit depressing and you don't want to bring people down...

24. Link to Post #38
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hi Anchor,

I received a message from the Universal Life Church, but that was a credit card invoice. Is that the same thing?

A full 24 hours haven't passed so their autoresponder hasn't kicked in yet. I will be waiting in my e-mail for that to drop in any time soon. When it does I'll send you a copy.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote Posted by Anchor (here)
    Steve

You made an "application" which was accepted and in doing so you contracted with the church did you not?

I hope this is as innocent as it sounds

Quote Once you become a pastor, minister, rabbi or priest, you can proceed to perform baptisms, administer traditional weddings and even start your own ministry. ULC can support you with an array of online church services including ministerial training, spiritual books and guides, and many other resources.

Become a minister today, it is always free of charge. You do not have to purchase anything from ULC to be an online ordained minister. All that we ask is for you to promote freedom of and from religion and to "do that which is right." It is up to each individual to determine what is right as long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others and is within the law

Quote Within 24 hours after your submission, you will receive an email to confirm your ordination. Please read this email carefully; It is not only a welcome message explaining your ordination, it also contains important information and links.
    ** If you did not receive the message, then please contact us to verify that your ordination was added.
    Please can I see this?

Anyway, thanks for this educating thread. I can almost sense the knee-jerk reactions to it from here, but as one who does not suffer much jerky-knees these days - it bought a massive smile to my face.

John..

25. Link to Post #39
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hi perfectresonance,

Welcome to the club (er welcome brother to the fold - I'm still learning).

I think Inelia isn't a member of the social networking group because the site is having problems. Let's pray for divine intervention.

I'm not sure you can reverse the rash decision. Once you in, it's like a monkey on your back. It'll follow you wherever you go.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote Posted by perfectresonance (here)

Thanks Steve_a!

This is awesome brother!

Didn't know this was so easy. I am in the process of starting the Church of the Flightless Kiwi.

The church has already performed its first Miracle! Check THIS out!

Anyway, all are welcome, all are loved.

We're in good company around here.

There is even a social networking site for us.

I looked hard, but couldn't find Inelia there, in spite of her also being a member.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure - I may have rushed into this with a little too much enthusiasm.

As in "Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread".

Why?

Well, I told Mrs Perfectresonance that she's now married to an Ordained Minister, and... to put it delicately, she wasn't amused and felt this step should have been preceded by a talk to discuss if this was a good idea.

oops.

Does anyone know how to reverse this rash decision?

You know... in the event I can't get Mrs P to see it my way?

26. Link to Post #40
    France Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 times in 288 posts

Hi Steve
    I was mulling over a few names for you.

The wizard of Avalon.

Minister Merlin.

ohh I Don't know its all Hocus Pocus to me.

Ps Could you send me a blessing Oh Enlightened one!!
    Regards to you and your flock...
    Ace

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast