+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 43 1 11 43 LastLast

Thread: The sensitivity of language and people when describing race-related issues

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,524 times in 32,788 posts

Default The sensitivity of language and people when describing race-related issues

----------

**admin-edit** - I have created this new thread to allow discussion to continue without disrupting the original thread started by Seikou-Kishi.

----------

Quote Posted by TimelessDimensions (here)
    I love walking in the forest,
    I've never seen any "moderators" in nature
    Depends which forest!

In the famous and unique Masai Mara in Kenya, the entry fee is $70 per person plus more for the vehicle. I've been there many times, and the cost is worth every penny.

There are some places where you can watch the hippos and crocs at extremely close hand - and there's a game ranger standing by (discreetly) with a very large gun.

In the California Park Service, in equally unique, delicate, and staggeringly beautiful habitats like Yosemite and Tuolumne, permits are required to limit the numbers of hikers so that the human impact is controlled. I'm delighted they do this.

For those of you in Australia, ask the Aboriginal Elders what damage the white men create when they permit themselves to do whatever they wish.

Planet Earth has been trashed by humans doing what they want and taking what they want without any regard for others.

This forum should be a reflection of the human race at its finest: not a reflection of the human race at its worst.

Last edited by Ilie Pandia; 9th May 2011 at 23:46.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Art (10th May 2011), AuCo (10th May 2011), Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), Darla Ken Pearce (10th May 2011), Davidallany (11th May 2011), g.k.r (10th May 2011), Hummingbird (11th May 2011), jjl (11th May 2011), Malcolm Linus (10th May 2011), mosquito (10th May 2011), myrm (11th May 2011), nomadguy (10th May 2011), Nortreb (10th May 2011), Open your eyes (10th May 2011), Ria (12th May 2011), shadowstalker (11th May 2011), silvervioletrubie (10th May 2011), Yoda (11th May 2011), zerohero (10th May 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Default Re:The sensitivity of language and people when describing race-related issues

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Depends which forest!

For those of you in Australia, ask the Aboriginal Elders what damage the white men create when they permit themselves to do whatever they wish.

Planet Earth has been trashed by humans doing what they want and taking what they want without any regard for others.

This forum should be a reflection of the human race at its finest: not a reflection of the human race at its worst.
    Thanks for reinforcing racist stereotypes about Australia Bill.
    You should know better.
    In fact, I would like you to apologise, thanks.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 9th May 2011 at 15:17. Reason: reduce quoted material

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Default Re:The sensitivity of language and people when describing race-related issues

Quote Posted by Lord Sidious (here)
    You should know better.
    This is a true story. It's nothing to do with racist stereotypes. It's what actually happened.

If you accuse me of racist stereotyping, I really will stop being patient.

http://www.iofilm.co.uk/feats/interv...nce_2002.shtml

Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 9th May 2011 at 15:18. Reason: reduce nested quote'ing depth

5. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

42 (11th May 2011), Art (10th May 2011), AuCo (10th May 2011), Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), Daren (23rd May 2011), Darla Ken Pearce (10th May 2011), Davidallany (10th May 2011), eaglespirit (10th May 2011), g.k.r (9th May 2011), gabbahh (12th May 2011), jackovesk (10th May 2011), ktlight (9th May 2011), magicmanx (11th May 2011), Maia Gabrial (24th May 2011), Nortreb (10th May 2011), OnyxKnight (9th May 2011), pwn_thyself (14th May 2011), ROMANWKT (9th May 2011), Rosco1 (12th May 2011), silvervioletrubie (10th May 2011), theguardian (10th May 2011), Yoda (9th May 2011), zerohero (10th May 2011)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

This is a true story. It's nothing to do with racist stereotypes. It's what actually happened.

EXCUSE ME!
    You did not say history.
    Don't justify your statement.
    Apology please.
    You have made many statements on other people slandering you, inelia and others, you just slandered my entire family.
    Apolgy please and no thanks for your threats.
    Be a man Bill, you are wrong, admit it.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 9th May 2011 at 15:19. Reason: reduce nested quote'ing depth

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

EXCUSE ME!
    You did not say history.
    Apology please.
    You have made many statements on other people slandering you, inelia and others, you just slandered my entire family.
    I wrote:

Quote ask the Aboriginal Elders what damage the white men create when they permit themselves to do whatever they wish.
    This is a true and accurate statement. It applies in all cultures with respect to all indigenous people.

I was not talking about you or your family. I assume they do not do whatever they wish at the expense of others. This is the point of the thread. Back to topic, please.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 9th May 2011 at 15:30. Reason: fix quote'ing

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Art (10th May 2011), Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), eaglespirit (10th May 2011), g.k.r (9th May 2011), jackovesk (10th May 2011), ktlight (9th May 2011), magicmanx (11th May 2011), Nortreb (10th May 2011), pwn_thyself (14th May 2011), ROMANWKT (9th May 2011), theguardian (10th May 2011), Yoda (9th May 2011)

9. Link to Post #6
    Europe Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

LS, I dont think Bill is being racist, its just an example, there aren't too many places where industrialised modern man lives alongside a people who have turned their backs on all the destructive crap the rest of us can't live without
    Also English may be one language, but it is used very differently by different peoples , take 'bible basher' for example, it means the opposite to the Americans to that which it does to a Briton , this also happens with turns of phrases

(this would have been post number 3 if I wasn't a one finger typist)
    Last edited by Some Bloke; 11th May 2011 at 22:27.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Some Bloke For This Post:

Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), g.k.r (9th May 2011), ktlight (9th May 2011), Lord Sidious (9th May 2011), silvervioletrubie (10th May 2011), Steven (9th May 2011)

11. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

I wrote:

Quote ask the Aboriginal Elders what damage the white men create when they permit themselves to do whatever they wish.
    This is a true and accurate statement. It applies in all cultures with respect to all indigenous people.

I was not talking about you or your family. I assume they do not do whatever they wish at the expense of others. This is the point of the thread. Back to topic, please.
    Stand behind what you wrote, don't try to evade it, that is the same standard you are holding others to.
    You said one thing, now you are saying something else.
    You mentioned Kenya, America and Australia in that post, yet only the whites here get singled out.
    Apology please and we can move on.
    Some white man have done things as you say, most have not.
    If I posted something derogatory about blacks, asians or others, would my post be deleted?
    Yes or no?
    If yes, why does that not apply to you?
    And don't insult my intelligence by saying it is your forum, I already know that.

Quote Posted by Some Bloke (here)
    LS, I dont think Bill is being racist, its just an example, there aren't too many places where industrialised modern man lives alongside a people who have turned their backs on all the destructive crap the rest of us can't live without
    Also English may be one language, but it is used very differently by different peoples , take 'bible basher' for example, it means the opposite to the Americans to that which it does to a Briton , this also happens with turns of phrazes
    I appreciate your intent and I know what you are trying to do.
    I salute you for that.
    But this is a matter of principle, Bill started a thread called integrity, now is his chance to prove he can use his.
    If he apologises, I will rep his post and move on.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 9th May 2011 at 15:33. Reason: fix quote'ing

12. Link to Post #8
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,152 times in 2,815 posts

Variety's the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavor.It's time to move on to the next step . We've reached a certain point, but we're not moving any more.

13. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

I think this is a good time for me to move on, DONT YOU THINK BILL, please remove me from this site,

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob_2011 For This Post:

Lord Sidious (9th May 2011)

15. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

EXCUSE ME!
    You did not say history.
    Apology please.
    think you are taking this right out of context, imo

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to g.k.r For This Post:

Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), Lord Sidious (9th May 2011), Some Bloke (9th May 2011)

17. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

sid this appears to be the epitome of nuggetry

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butcherman For This Post:

Lord Sidious (9th May 2011), Steve C (9th May 2011)

19. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    I think this is a good time for me to move on, DONT YOU THINK BILL, please remove me from this site,
    Don't go because of my disagreement with Bill, please.
    Stay and participate.
    Everyone makes mistakes, me, you, Bill, all of us.

Quote Posted by g.k.r (here)

EXCUSE ME!
    You did not say history.
    Apology please.
    I appreciate your intent, but a statement that is straight out is taken to mean exactly that.
    I have done this before. I posted something that was different to what I meant and had to apologise.

Quote Posted by butcherman (here)
    I think you mean I am the nugget, but that is ok, we are all entitled to have an opinion.
    I am not offended.
    I feel I am right, Bill feels he is right.
    Who is right? That is open to interpretation.
    Last edited by Lord Sidious; 9th May 2011 at 15:49.

20. Link to Post #13
    Scotland Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

The problem with any written media is how it is interpreted and the variety in meaning which may come out from a single line, I perfectly agree that western culture(rather the western way of thinking) has ravaged mother earth.

Anyway arguments will always occur, when that happens stand back for a moment and breath.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to linz2d For This Post:

Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), g.k.r (9th May 2011), heyokah (9th May 2011), Isthatso (10th May 2011), jjl (11th May 2011), ktlight (9th May 2011), Lord Sidious (9th May 2011), Nyce555 (10th May 2011), starsmoonmtns (9th May 2011)

22. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    Don't go because of my disagreement with Bill, please.
    Stay and participate.
    Everyone makes mistakes, me, you, Bill, all of us.

EXCUSE ME!
    You did not say history.
    Apology please.
    I appreciate your intent, but a statement that is straight out is taken to mean exactly that.
    I have done this before. I posted something that was different to what I meant and had to apologise.

Quote Posted by butcherman (here)
    I think you mean I am the nugget, but that is ok, we are all entitled to have an opinion.
    I am not offended.
    I feel I am right, Bill feels he is right.
    Who is right? That is open to interpretation.
    maybe you also should use some integrity too and see things for how they are meant, not everything is so plain, you do have to rationalise things too, whatever is said

¤=[Post Update]=¤

i feel sometimes theres a bit of immaturity going on, we not schoolkids,

p,s not trying to confront you either, just think you can go around things differently too,,
    Last edited by g.k.r; 9th May 2011 at 15:56.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to g.k.r For This Post:

Flasky (9th May 2011), heyokah (9th May 2011), jackovesk (10th May 2011), K626 (9th May 2011), ktlight (9th May 2011), seko (9th May 2011)

24. Link to Post #15
    England Avalon Member SKIBADABOMSKI's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,516 times in 458 posts

25. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to SKIBADABOMSKI For This Post:

777 (9th May 2011), Art (10th May 2011), astrid (10th May 2011), Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), Calz (9th May 2011), Caren (10th May 2011), Darla Ken Pearce (10th May 2011), Jendayi (11th May 2011), Lord Sidious (9th May 2011), magicmanx (11th May 2011), OnyxKnight (9th May 2011), pilotsimone (9th May 2011), scooterdubz (12th May 2011), seko (9th May 2011), starsmoonmtns (9th May 2011), tgn333 (10th May 2011), Yoda (11th May 2011)

26. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

maybe you also should use some integrity too and see things for how they are meant, not everything is so plain, you do have to rationalise things too, whatever is said

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Let me say this.
    I believe Bill.
    What he wrote, is not necessarily what he meant, that is the problem.
    We need to choose our words carefully, that is what law is all about.
    All I am asking for is for him to admit he wrote different to what he meant, apologise and we all move on.
    If I changed his statement to something less politically correct, I could and probably would get banned.
    Why is it ok to bash whites in Australia, but not anyone else?
    What have we done to deserve that?

27. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,331 times in 1,296 posts

Depends which forest!

You should know better.
    It's not reinforcing racist stereotypes, it's a description of what is happening.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Post:

Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), Darla Ken Pearce (10th May 2011), g.k.r (9th May 2011), heyokah (9th May 2011), ktlight (9th May 2011), NancyV (9th May 2011), OnyxKnight (9th May 2011)

29. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Let me say this.
    I believe Bill.
    What he wrote, is not necessarily what he meant, that is the problem.
    We need to choose our words carefully, that is what law is all about.
    All I am asking for is for him to admit he wrote different to what he meant, apologise and we all move on.
    If I changed his statement to something less politically correct, I could and probably would get banned.
    Why is it ok to bash whites in Australia, but not anyone else?
    What have we done to deserve that?
    lol the white people,(which i am one) have a lot to be blamed for over the centuries, like when they killed 12 million indiginous(cant spell, admittidly,) people in america between 1498 and 1504 for 1 example, so yeah in our history we have a lot of bad things, everywhere, not just australia, tho it wasnt me or you, looks like we will be blamed for the new world order too in future most likely. thoits none of us,, if you understand my point, lot of bad things have happened and still happening around the world, the best thing would be to try and stop theses things happening and acknowledge them too, maybe i dont know what im talking about, but thats my opinion

if you watch a vid called kymatica, it will tell you some of what i mentioned
    Last edited by g.k.r; 9th May 2011 at 16:17.

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to g.k.r For This Post:

Art (10th May 2011), Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), Darla Ken Pearce (10th May 2011), EsmaEverheart (9th May 2011), gabbahh (12th May 2011), Jakinabox (9th May 2011), kersley (10th May 2011), Lord Sidious (9th May 2011), seko (9th May 2011), Snowbird (10th May 2011), Some Bloke (9th May 2011)

31. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Seikou-Kishi (here)
    You should know better.
    It's not reinforcing racist stereotypes, it's a description of what is happening.
    I told you off for feeling guilty because you are a jew and other jews are doing things to the palestinians.
    I apologise if that post came across harsher than I meant, but I don't want you to feel guilty for something you didn't do.
    Why should I feel guilty for the actions of other whites here that I have not done?
    I thought we were all people? Not white, not jews, not blacks, none of that.
    THAT is why I am doing this.
    Think people, do you see me making trouble on this forum?
    If the answer is no, then ask yourself what am I trying to do?
    I am NOT trying to humiliate Bill, that isn't something I would do.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 9th May 2011 at 16:34. Reason: reduce nested quote'ing depth

32. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,331 times in 1,296 posts

I told you off for feeling guilty because you are a jew and other jews are doing things to the palestinians.
    I apologise if that post came across harsher than I meant, but I don't want you to feel guilty for something you didn't do.
    Why should I feel guilty for the actions of other whites here that I have not done?
    I thought we were all people? Not white, not jews, not blacks, none of that.
    THAT is why I am doing this.
    Think people, do you see me making trouble on this forum?
    If the answer is no, then ask yourself what am I trying to do?
    I am NOT trying to humiliate Bill, that isn't something I would do.
    No I think you were right there. I was grateful to read your post. I think though that the basic equation is Australia before colonisation = ecologically sound; Australia after colonisation = ecologically unsound. It's not because white people are white, it's simply the way it is.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 9th May 2011 at 16:59. Reason: reduce nested quote'ing depth

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Post:

Buchanan561 (10th May 2011), Lord Sidious (9th May 2011), Some Bloke (9th May 2011), Truthseeker85 (11th May 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 43 1 11 43 LastLast