+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: The Urantia Book

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 times in 423 posts

Default The Urantia Book

Would anyone be interested in joining a group to discuss this extraordinary book?

What is the Urantia Book? the book is a giant collection of papers discussing the nature of our universe, superuniverse, and creator, written by personalities engaged in the administration of the universe.

Is it channeled information? apparently not. The papers were assembled over a period of several decades subsequent to an investigation by a respected psychiatrist who found himself baffled by the case of a patient talking in his sleep, unresponsive to all efforts to waken him, but otherwise healthy.

Why "Urantia"? This is the celestial name for the planet we call Earth, the 606th inhabited world in the administrative "system" of Satania, "constellation" of Norlatiadek, "universe" of Nebadon, within the "superuniverse" of Orvonton.

Subjects covered in the book include the manifold nature of God, the history of creation, and the life of Jesus.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to KosmicKat For This Post:

betoobig (31st March 2018), conk (16th May 2011), Darla Ken Pearce (14th May 2011), DNA (17th May 2011), Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), heyokah (19th May 2011), HypnoDoc (20th May 2011), Maia Gabrial (18th May 2011), MariaDine (21st May 2011), Menkaure (21st May 2011), pharoah21 (14th May 2011), Ria (14th May 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (14th May 2011), ROMANWKT (17th May 2011), shadowstalker (26th May 2011), Sugarific (9th September 2011), Swanette (14th May 2011), the_flyingboy (19th May 2011), ZAINA (26th May 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Mauritius Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 times in 635 posts

Default Re: The Urantia Book

I have never heard of this book. But it sounds very interesting and certainly worth a look.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    K

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kersley For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (14th May 2011), Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Thank you, yes I will certainly read it. I took a look at the site and it looks like a lot of very excellent information to absorb so.....it might take me awhile.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swanette For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (14th May 2011), Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    UK Avalon Member Thinking Allowed's Avatar
    Thanks

I read this material a couple of years ago. It's an incredible account of our history as a species. I have no idea if there's any truth in it but it's a great story if nothing else. To have written this anonymously is very strange because it's a very large volume of work and somebody put a hell of a lot of time and effort into it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thinking Allowed For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (14th May 2011), Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), Valerie Villars (26th March 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,307 times in 873 posts

Hello

I have been reading this book for two years (printed copy is almost 2000 pages long ) . After reading about life in "morontia" ( I know it sounds funny in english but believe me it is awesome) I no longer am afraid of leaving my material body after it completly breaks down. There is also written that it is possible to take your physical body with you. If you become so integrated with your "Thught Adjuster" that you can "talk" with it, your body will be transcended and it will merge with you and it disappear in the flash of light from view of other physical bodies. Thought Adjuster is a gift from our Source And Center (God). It is part of God which lives in us and helps us navigate toward Source And Center. It also records our personality which is restored in morontial body on "the other side". Some times it can hapenn that human rejects ethernity and is not restored after physical death. Her/his Thought Adjuster can be given then to another new born human. With all the memory of the previous host. But it is not that person which rejected ethernal life.

And the part on Jesus life was refreshig for my catholic ubbringing I have finished reading it on Easter period when catholic church celebrates Jesus resurrection. I was
    so happy to read about this event with so manny details. I know that this book is rather christian in nature leaving mostly no room for buddhism, islam and other monoteistic relligions. But religion is just a way of expressing your faith in Ethernity. It is like light coming throu a giant prism. Some people see it indigo some see it yellow some see it red. But is white for everyone at the other side of the prism.

Of course I would be probably excomunicated if I would confess to reading this excellent book

Best Wishes
    Robert

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Robert J. Niewiadomski For This Post:

christian (27th December 2011), Darla Ken Pearce (14th May 2011), Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), Jeffrey (20th May 2011), Lord Sidious (15th May 2011), meeradas (17th May 2011), Referee (21st May 2011), sunflower (22nd May 2011), Valerie Villars (26th March 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

I bought the book 3-4 years ago, and unlike every other book I buy, it wasn't immediately devoured. Actually, I still haven't read it, save for a few skimmings around. For some reason it struck me as like a chore or something, sort of like "this year I will read the Bible". Maybe I'll go dig it out again and see if things have changed.

Cheers,
    Fred S.

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,728 times in 4,313 posts

I read the book over the summer of 05. Amazing work. It reads like poetry. The economy of motion in the writing is like nothing I've ever read.
    I would love to join a discussian group on this topic.
    I use the Urantia as a guidstone when deciding wether or not to accept channelled material.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), Robert J. Niewiadomski (19th May 2011)

14. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I would like to take part in a discussion about this book. I haven't read it in its entirety, but I have gleaned interesting information from it. I am still unclear to its exact origins, which makes me a bit skeptical, but the book contains some things that have brought me clarity and profound moments.

Do you have any suggestions as to how you wish to structure the discussion? Start from the beginning of the book and take a chapter at a time?

cheers!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to orion37 For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017)

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member NancyV's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,067 times in 989 posts

The first time I read the Urantia book was sometime in the 70's and I read various parts of it again over the years. It was fascinating and very heavy reading. I can personally attest to the fact that it is a HEAVY book. It's so heavy that my old copy of it has a hole in it from a bullet which was shot into it. I knocked aside the hand of a person who was intending to shoot me. My Urantia book took the shot and the bullet was still within the pages. It was only a .22 caliber handgun so not much force. But THAT'S a heavy book!

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NancyV For This Post:

christian (27th December 2011), Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), karelia (19th May 2011), mosquito (20th May 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (19th May 2011), Sugarific (9th September 2011), ulli (19th May 2011), Valerie Villars (26th March 2018)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,709 times in 914 posts

I noticed it is originating from Salt Lake City...is this the Mormon pov of the Absolute Truth? Sure looks interesting.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lettherebelight For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), Robert J. Niewiadomski (19th May 2011)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

This book is available as a free app on iTunes. Search for 'Big Blue Book' :-)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DropD For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), Thinking Allowed (13th June 2011)

22. Link to Post #12
    Australia Avalon Member Positive Vibe Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 546 posts

Sounds like a couple weeks/months would be required to be set aside to get through this one. I wouldn't mind having a crack at it though.

Does anyone know the 'origins' of the matieral?

PVM

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Positive Vibe Merchant For This Post:

24. Link to Post #13
    Australia Avalon Member Roseheart's Avatar
    Thanks

I just could not read this. I tried. I read bits and pieces. I tried to start from the beginning... There was something about this book that just repelled me I have to say. I would love to hear more views from members however as I agree it's a fascinating book. I am just not so sure about what it is designed to 'do' to the reader...

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roseheart For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), Lifebringer (10th October 2017), Michelle Marie (10th October 2017), Valerie Villars (26th March 2018)

26. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

All I can say is WOW!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orion37 For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), Lifebringer (10th October 2017)

28. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,300 times in 5,193 posts

Quote Posted by KosmicKat (here)
    Would anyone be interested in joining a group to discuss this extraordinary book?

What is the Urantia Book? the book is a giant collection of papers discussing the nature of our universe, superuniverse, and creator, written by personalities engaged in the administration of the universe.

Is it channeled information? apparently not. The papers were assembled over a period of several decades subsequent to an investigation by a respected psychiatrist who found himself baffled by the case of a patient talking in his sleep, unresponsive to all efforts to waken him, but otherwise healthy.

Why "Urantia"? This is the celestial name for the planet we call Earth, the 606th inhabited world in the administrative "system" of Satania, "constellation" of Norlatiadek, "universe" of Nebadon, within the "superuniverse" of Orvonton.

Subjects covered in the book include the manifold nature of God, the history of creation, and the life of Jesus.
    It is a religion, mainly in USA.

I loved the portrayal of jesus as a man, a trader, but I trust Antiquities that although Pontius Pilate, Herod and others did exist, jesus did not. I read a book a long time ago suggesting that the name jesus was a codename for the mushroom. I also found the origin of mankind fascinating, yellow. blue, orange, red. green and indigo, the first man of which was born from lemurs.
    Last edited by ktlight; 20th May 2011 at 15:33.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

30. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,728 times in 4,313 posts

Quote Posted by Positive Vibe Merchant (here)
    Sounds like a couple weeks/months would be required to be set aside to get through this one. I wouldn't mind having a crack at it though.

Does anyone know the 'origins' of the matieral?

PVM

It's difficult to explain. The Urantia's mystery is only exceeded by it's power.

LOL,,,,,rotflmao,,,,okay.

It was channelled back in the twenties. Yea,,,the 1920s. Crazy huh?
    A group of debunkers made short work of all the table rattling spirit calling gypsies of the time, and when called upon to debunk this guy channelling this material,,,they not only were impressed, they became his biggest supportors.
    These debunkers formed a group, and began writing down the material that came through this guy. Note (The channel himself remains unknown to this day, because he was a succusfull buisnessman and he didn't want the noteriety of all this spirit mumbo jumbo to get in the way of his career,,,so the group promised not to reveal anything about him, and they kept their promise.

Many folks focus on the creation aspect of our planet and the creation of mankind. Or the supposed true story of Jesus. Or the pantheon of angels involved with the administration of our galaxy.
    Such is the Urantia,,,it has a little bit for everyone.

As for myself,,,,I'm mostly interested in a topic known as "THE PERSONAL ADJUSTER".
    An abstract concept that mirrors very closely Carlos Castaneda's description of "INTENT"
    It is a non-human, non-cultured entitiy, it could be described as intelligent,,,but it doesn't think like you are I,,,,even the Angels of the Urantia don't know how it thinks and regard it with profound repsect, admiration and mysterious reverence.
    It could be called a force rather than an entity,,,and yet,,,that could be wrong as well.
    It is said, to be a sliver of God. And this sliver, and each of us have one, seeking to unite with us. It is our material conditioning and freewill that keeps this from happening.
    People who combine with their personal adjuster,,,,are said to become more than human.

Kind of like Don Juan or Don Genero in the Castaneda books, when they were said to embody the Nagual,,,,and become such a force as to terrify Castaneda due to the complete non-human persona and incredible power emanated from them.
    Last edited by DNA; 20th May 2011 at 16:11.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

christian (27th December 2011), Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), NancyV (26th May 2011), Nasu (12th October 2017), Robert J. Niewiadomski (27th May 2011), Valerie Villars (26th March 2018)

32. Link to Post #17
    Portugal Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,751 times in 1,168 posts

Urantia Bill Sadler 1958 1of 7

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aac6A...eature=related

Jesus of Urantia / The History of Melchizedek P1 of 7

https://youtube.com/watch?v=P5VLfNOlUKI&NR=1

Actually, the drawing of the 3 circles is a Symbol-Merkaba that opens a Portal for energy to came through for healing.

Namasté

PS -

Church of San Vitale, Ravenna (Italy) Bizantine Era

https://youtube.com/watch?v=i8Yt4WHIIfk&NR=1 -Trinity of Trinities - Diagram explanation

22 May on the Church’s calendar, we commemorate the Righteous Melchizedek, King of Salem. The Prologue summarises what little is known about him from the Scriptures: ‘He was a contemporary of our forefather Abraham. According to the Apostle Paul, he was, as king and priest, a type of the Lord Jesus (Heb. 7)’ (St Nicholas [Velimirović], The Prologue from Ochrid, Part 2: April, May, June, trans. Mother Maria [Birmingham, UK: Lazarica, 1986], p. 209). But here is the exact description of his encounter with the Patriarch Abraham in Genesis 14 (NETS):

18 And Melchisedek king of Salem brought out bread loaves and wine; now he was priest of God Most High. 19 And he blessed Abram and said,

‘Blessed be Abram to God Most High,
    who created the heaven and the earth,
    20 and blessed be God Most High,
    who has delivered up your enemies as subjects to you!’

And he [Abram] gave him one tenth of everything.

Of course, the other famous Scriptural reference, to which St Nicholas alludes, is in Hebrews 7:1-3, when St Paul is interpreting Ps. 109:4 (LXX) in reference to Christ (The Orthodox New Testament, Vol. 2: Acts, Epistles, and Revelation, trans. and ed. Holy Apostles Convent [Buena Vista, CO: Holy Apostles Convent, 1999], p. 392):

1 For this Melchisedek, king of Salem, priest of God the Most High,—who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2 to whom also Abraham divided a tenth of all,—which indeed is first interpreted ‘king of righteousness’, and then also ‘king of Salem’, which is, ‘king of peace’, 3 without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but having been made like the Son of God, remaineth a priest in perpetuity.

It is a passage that has received a bold and astonishing interpretation from St Maximus the Confessor in his tenth Difficulty, section 20a (Fr Andrew Louth, Maximus the Confessor [London: Routledge, 1999], pp. 115-6):

This [possession of ‘the form of the whole God the Word’], I think, that wonderful and great man, Melchisedec, knew and experienced, about whom the divine Word in the Scriptures declares great and wonderful things, that he had transcended time and nature, and was worthy to be likened to the Son of God.

For, as far as is possible, he had become such by grace and habit, as the Giver of grace is himself believed to be by essence.

For it is said of him that he is without father or mother or genealogy (Heb. 7:3): what else can be understood from this except that, by the very highest pitch of grace in accordance with virtue, he has perfectly put off natural characteristics.

And when it is said that he has neither beginning of days nor end of life (ibid.), it bears witness to a knowledge embracing the properties of all time and eternity, and to a contemplation transcending existence of all material and immaterial being.

And when it says that resembling the Son of God he remains a priest for ever (ibid.), it perhaps declares that he is able in accordance with his unchangeable habit of the most god-like virtue and a divine reaching out after God to keep his mental eye attentive until the end.

For virtue naturally fights against nature, and true contemplation against time and eternity, in order that it may remain unenslaved to anything else that is believed to exist under God, and unconquered, knowing God alone the begetter, and uncircumscribed, remaining in none of those beings that have beginning or end, in itself manifesting the image of God, who defines every beginning and end and draws up to His ineffable self every thought of intellectual beings in ecstasy.

Although it may appear to express a less lofty view of this righteous figure of the Old Testament, it seems to me that John Henry Newman’s poem is saying something very similar (‘Melchizedek’, The Oxford Book of English Mystical Verse, ed. D.H.S. Nicholson and A.H.E. Lee [Lakewood, CO: Acropolis, 1997], p. 133):

Without father, without mother, without descent; having neither beginning of days, nor end of life.

THRICE bless’d are they, who feel their loneliness;
    To whom nor voice of friends nor pleasant scene
    Brings that on which the sadden’d heart can lean;
    Yea, the rich earth, garb’d in her daintiest dress
    Of light and joy, doth but the more oppress,
    Claiming responsive smiles and rapture high;
    Till, sick at heart, beyond the veil they fly,
    Seeking His Presence, who alone can bless.
    Such, in strange days, the weapons of Heaven’s grace;
    When, passing o’er the high-born Hebrew line,
    He forms the vessel of His vast design;
    Fatherless, homeless, reft of age and place,
    Sever’d from earth, and careless of its wreck,
    Born through long woe His rare Melchizedek.

In this way, as St Nicholas writes in his ‘Hymn of Praise’ for Righteous Melchizedek today in the Prologue (Sebastian Press edition):

Of a man, a beautiful example,
    King, saint, righteous one,
    That, Melchisedek became
    A prophet of Christ and proto-type.
    A prophet he is, without a word,
    But with a most beautiful personality;
    A prophet he is, without a word,
    A prophet, with righteousness and mercy.

Furthermore, I find most encouraging St Maximus’s words in section 20b of the same Difficulty (Fr Louth, p. 118):
    Do not think that no-one can have a share in this grace, since the words defines it only in relation to the great Melchisedec.

For God provides equally to all the power that naturally leads to salvation, so that each one who wishes can be transformed by divine grace. And nothing prevents anyone from willing to become Melchisedec, and Abraham, and Moses, and simply transferring all these Saints to himself, not by changing names and places, but by imitating their forms and way of life.
    Last edited by MariaDine; 21st May 2011 at 16:54.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MariaDine For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), NancyV (26th May 2011)

34. Link to Post #18
    Portugal Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,751 times in 1,168 posts

ABOUT THE SITE THAT HAS THE BOOK ON LINE
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=XnZZK...eature=related

http://www.ubthenews.com/readUB.htm

THE BOOK OF URANTIA ON LINE - SEVERAL LANGUAGES

Namasté
    Last edited by MariaDine; 21st May 2011 at 17:07.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MariaDine For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), NancyV (26th May 2011)

36. Link to Post #19
    New Zealand Avalon Member Teresa's Avatar
    Thanks

I haven’t read the Urantia book but it is mentioned in the WingMakers material here : http://wingmakers.com/. (Creator Q&A Session 2, Q.23)

The WingMakers and Lyricus sites are beautiful and very interesting - there is a (2008) Camelot interview with James, the creator of WingMakers :
    http://projectcamelot.org/james_wing..._integral.html

I have to say I’ve become a bit obsessed with WingMakers since recently discovering it and have wondered why there’s been no discussion of the material, on here. I assume it’s because I’m a newbie and older members have long since discovered and discussed it.

I know this is supposed to be a discussion on the Urantia book, but I’d love to know what others think of the Wingmaker material also. (As I’m new I’m unable to start a thread on it myself).

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Teresa For This Post:

DNA (10th September 2011), Foxie Loxie (9th October 2017), KosmicKat (26th May 2011), Lifebringer (10th October 2017), NancyV (26th May 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (27th May 2011)

38. Link to Post #20
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 times in 423 posts

I'm not entirely sure how to proceed right now. I certainly don't want to dominate or direct the discussion; I would rather hear from others, why do you find the book so convincing? or why do you find it to be unconvincing?

WRT the Wingmakers, the idea of an encoded "knowledge base" for want of a better term would not be at all surprising given that, as I understand it, most of the genes in DNA influence the actions of other genes, as if a superlanguage were developed in which the meanings of words, their position within a sentence and their juxtaposition against other words could change the meanings of individual words, affecting the translation of the entire sentence.

Returning to the topic of the Urantia Book, it does emphasize the centrality of the Christian tradition (although the redemptive value of Christ's self-sacrifice is explained as a gross misunderstanding, probably influenced by centuries of misled Jewish tradition), but I wonder how it resonates with believers of other faiths (including areas like alchemy)?

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KosmicKat For This Post:

Nasu (10th October 2017), Robert J. Niewiadomski (27th May 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast