+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What YOU see on the internet is different than next door...there is no privacy

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Retired Member Karma Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Default What YOU see on the internet is different than next door...there is no privacy

This may have been posted here before but I don't recall seeing it. If it has Mods please merge.

Did you know how little the internet represents a free expression of the worlds interests? It used to be that the most popular search returns were the most popularly visited sites. But that is not the case anymore. It has literally become an expression of the things that interest YOU. This video will show you why partisan politics or divide and conquer tactics are constantly shaping the information that reaches every persons ears.

A dirty little secret of the internet...

here is the link http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/el...r_bubbles.html

If anyone can help me post the video on this thread it wold be appreciated
    Last edited by Karma Ninja; 18th May 2011 at 00:17. Reason: failed to copy video

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Karma Ninja For This Post:

Lord Sidious (18th May 2011), NeverMind (7th August 2011), PHARAOH (18th May 2011), Referee (18th May 2011), Teakai (18th May 2011), Trail (7th August 2011), transitionalman (18th May 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: What YOU see on the internet is different than next door...there is no privacy

Quote Posted by Karma Ninja (here)
    This may have been posted here before but I don't recall seeing it. If it has Mods please merge.

Did you know how little the internet represents a free expression of the worlds interests? It used to be that the most popular search returns were the most popularly visited sites. But that is not the case anymore. It has literally become an expression of the things that interest YOU. This video will show you why partisan politics or divide and conquer tactics are constantly shaping the information that reaches every persons ears.

Last edited by from_Brzil; 18th May 2011 at 06:16.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to from_Brzil For This Post:

crosby (18th May 2011), Karma Ninja (18th May 2011), Lord Sidious (12th August 2011), ThePythonicCow (18th May 2011), westhill (7th August 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,364 times in 335 posts

Default Re: What YOU see on the internet is different than next door...there is no privacy

You would need to invoke the Lord S have fun.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gigha For This Post:

Lord Sidious (12th August 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 times in 228 posts

Well, yes. And no.

The idea of living in an Internet Bubble is quite true.

It is called personalisation.

Google, for example, is trying its best to figure out what my interests are so it can show advertisements that may be of interest to me.

And part of that is that you may not have shown much of an interest in current affairs, or geopolitics, so when a major international news story breaks, you won't see it in your search results because your previous behaviour has indicated you weren't interested in this sort of thing.

Of couse, if you are interested in that sort of thing, it would have been tracking that also, and you will be shown the major international news story.

There is nothing sinister about it.

Knowledge is power.

And with this knowledge, you can take steps to ensure that if you want to get unfiltered results - you can.

How?

Log out of the site, delete cookies and visit the site again. At that point you get to see what the site programmers think any newly arrived generic person should see.

Is that still filtered?

Of course! They can't throw the full daily news feed at you every day - there is too much of it.

Also, most sites/organisations have their own political bias that they report through.

If I search on google for "pizza" and it shows me a page of New Zealand pizza joints, isn't that exactly what I want?

And when I search for "pizza" while I visisting the UK, I'd like to see UK pizza joints.

All we have to do is acknowledge that this personalisation goes on, educate ourselves how to turn it off when it doesn't suit us, and apply it when we need to.

As a footnote: you control the amount of information you give to organisations to collect about you. Most of the time, you want them to have it because it makes it easier, and they act responsibly with it. But there are other times when you must make absolutely sure you know the full repercussions of sharing your personal information with a web site. Without being paranoid or unreasonably finicky, it is probably better to start erring on the side of caution. (I have been mulling over starting a thread on this topic in fact).

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to perfectresonance For This Post:

Karma Ninja (18th May 2011), mab777 (18th May 2011), shijo (18th May 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Forgive me Karma Ninja,

I don't get it?

After painstakingly watching this video "Beware online - filter bubbles" by Eli Pariser. I am even more confused as to what relevance it has...

1. I tend to switch off whenever I hear the word 'Progressive'!

2. I have NEVER and will NEVER use Facebook or GOOGLE, for obvious reasons.

3. When I search for anything I use StartingPage - Search Engine which does'nt log your IP address.

4. Whenever I use a Search Engine, I know what I'm looking for.

5. I constantly use the Free CCleaner Tool to clean out past activities CCleaner Link

The Moral of My Story is...

"Never use Google or Facebook or any other Social Media forms that are Tapped by the PTB, Know what your Searching for and Always Clean Up after yourself!"

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Jack
    Last edited by jackovesk; 18th May 2011 at 06:59.

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,652 times in 21,533 posts

Quote Posted by perfectresonance (here)
    All we have to do is acknowledge that this personalisation goes on, educate ourselves how to turn it off when it doesn't suit us, and apply it when we need to.
    Agreed, in one sense. Those who are able to and choose to take some control of what they view, and what they present, on the Web can do so, to a substantial degree.

However the filtering mechanisms are sufficiently subtle, pervasive and adaptive that most of us, to a considerable degree, will have only partial success at this.

On a related note, consider using a meta-search engine, such as Dogpile or Ixquick, to get a view of what several of the main search engines, without the customized filters for your particular account. Ixquick goes to some length to avoid placing any cookies on your PC or leaking details of your personal search patterns to the main search engines.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

GCS1103 (7th August 2011), Karma Ninja (18th May 2011), ktlight (18th May 2011)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,652 times in 21,533 posts

Quote Posted by jackovesk (here)
    3. When I search for anything I use StartingPage - Search Engine which does'nt log your IP address.
    Cool - looking at it, it seems that StartingPage is provided by Ixquick. StartingPage.com focuses on just providing results from the Google search engine, whereas Ixquick.com provides results from several search engines. Both make considerable effort to protect your privacy.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

jackovesk (18th May 2011), Karma Ninja (18th May 2011), ktlight (18th May 2011)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Forgive me Karma Ninja,

I don't get it?

After painstakingly watching this video "Beware online - filter bubbles" by Eli Pariser. I am even more confused as to what relevance it has...

1. I tend to switch off whenever I hear the word 'Progressive'!

2. I have NEVER and will NEVER use Facebook or GOOGLE, for obvious reasons.

4. Whenever I use a Search Engine, I know what I'm looking for.

5. I constantly use the Free CCleaner Tool to clean out past activities CCleaner Link

The Moral of My Story is...

"Never use Google or Facebook or any other Social Media forms that are Tapped by the PTB, Know what your Searching for and Always Clean Up after yourself!"

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Jack
    There is some naivety to your comments in that you seem to not acknowledge malware and whether you manage to never have any loaded onto your system. While malware sits on your system it can transmit all the history and information of the sites and places you go on the internet while you browse. This info is stored and categorized and attached to your IP address. In the video I provided it shows that 57 types of information can be tracked about you. Run a free scan right now using Superantispyware or some other free malware removal tool, there is almost always something on your system. Clearing your cookies is great and removing malware is great, I do it as well. This ignores the fact that an algorithm can be monitoring and keeping track of the places you go on the internet in real time.

I appreciate only getting search results that reflect my geographic location (who needs a pizza place in San Diego when I am in Canada?) and it is great that your response is so concerned about you. I don't fear the powerful Google or the evil Facebook. I see them as part of our world. Do I participate? Minimally.

What about everyone else who remains asleep and fails to have any of this information reach them? What about providing a fair and balanced approach to delivering the news? What about our youth and this coming generation who will have little or no exposure to the truths out there? What happened to a human with actual morals and a far better gauge of what is fair being able to apply their interpretation to the algorithm? If you know what you are searching for why do you need to search it at all? Why not just punch in the web address?

It would appear as though you use your own filters to shelter you from the news you don't want to hear. You must have shut off (progressive) in the first 45 seconds of this video and yet you fail to see how much information you don't expose yourself to...It is hard to see the forest for the trees.

Thanks for your reply but I have children and I care about our next and current generation. I want to help people wake up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Karma Ninja For This Post:

Tane Mahuta (6th August 2011)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by perfectresonance (here)
    Well, yes. And no.

The idea of living in an Internet Bubble is quite true.

It is called personalisation.

Google, for example, is trying its best to figure out what my interests are so it can show advertisements that may be of interest to me.

And part of that is that you may not have shown much of an interest in current affairs, or geopolitics, so when a major international news story breaks, you won't see it in your search results because your previous behaviour has indicated you weren't interested in this sort of thing.

Of couse, if you are interested in that sort of thing, it would have been tracking that also, and you will be shown the major international news story.

There is nothing sinister about it.

Knowledge is power.

And with this knowledge, you can take steps to ensure that if you want to get unfiltered results - you can.

How?

Log out of the site, delete cookies and visit the site again. At that point you get to see what the site programmers think any newly arrived generic person should see.

Is that still filtered?

Of course! They can't throw the full daily news feed at you every day - there is too much of it.

Also, most sites/organisations have their own political bias that they report through.

If I search on google for "pizza" and it shows me a page of New Zealand pizza joints, isn't that exactly what I want?

And when I search for "pizza" while I visisting the UK, I'd like to see UK pizza joints.

As a footnote: you control the amount of information you give to organisations to collect about you. Most of the time, you want them to have it because it makes it easier, and they act responsibly with it. But there are other times when you must make absolutely sure you know the full repercussions of sharing your personal information with a web site. Without being paranoid or unreasonably finicky, it is probably better to start erring on the side of caution. (I have been mulling over starting a thread on this topic in fact).
    I appreciate your response and I never meant to imply that there is something sinister afoot concerning online filtering. I remember the days when a search result brought back a ton of garbage and little that I wanted. I helped develop a tool that uses your IP address to give you more local information. The fact that there is no privacy is only slightly affected by the video I attached. I just wish there was a fairer approach to delivering information. Half of what is tracked and stored about us is done without any consent at all. Major software and corporations are responsible for most of the malware out there. (At least they buy the data from those who spy on us)

I worry about what is being filtered OUT more than what I am shown. I worry about what the habits of our kids and their friends might net them in a search result. I realize everyone can choose how much they share but how much of this is know by your neighbour or the person next to them?

This explains why so few people react to the revolutions in the mideast, the ongoing disaster in Japan and the exposures from wikileaks. We are all caught in our information news bubbles. I continue to use alternative methods and sites to find my news and I have found a ton on the internet but this won't help those who remain asleep. I believe it takes only 1 piece to be shown before we realize it is a huge puzzle.

It may not be sinister but is it fair and balanced?

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,321 times in 10,234 posts

An important, IMO, post...that I had put in another thread. Read and see why. catchphrases, ear worms and all that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, what we are doing here, is trying to overcome the divide in our desires for information that now (as in more public - it is becoming, yes) shaping up ..to getting a more varied set of information to ruminate with. So we can attempt to make a more reasonable determination of what we have seen and read.

What I'm talking about, Jack, is the thread on the TED talk about information bubbles..and how most (many to most of the readers of this thread-not just members) of us have been filtered and don't even know it.

For example, I've been struggling with Google since the beginnings of Google. I have noticed the articles and article type that I usually peruse or see when I search..I have definitely noted that they have been disappearing from my search parameters and more and more useless garbage was given to me.

Now I used those two mentioned search engines as a test comparative ('starting page' and 'ixquick') for (I had to think of something) 'David Radius Hudson' and all those articles and odd bits that the information needed for proper digestion and rumination..I see those articles, websites and stories..I see them return to my searches.

One single search, I see the difference,--and I'm done with Google. for no matter how I try, it won't give me the search results I used to get. The impression for many people I suspect, is that they 'guess' that the given websites of yore are all gone or left the web. Not so. Not in many many cases. New ones pop up, as well.

I mention this as fewer of us would have complex questions on what this man is saying and why, if we indeed had the information we needed to have in order to discern a bit better..in front of us. Subtle manipulation of our input diet has served them well. Cows become more of a cow than they already are.

As for trusting Google 'on principle' (benefit of the doubt), the obvious public sign was the editing of the youtoob hits on certain videos.

Essentially this post is relevant to the thread (edit: the thread I stole the post from was about the video of the head of the Russian Duma speaking directly -on threatening the use of scalar weapons)....as what I'm saying is that there would be fewer questions, in some ways, of what this man is saying.....if less people had their search queries filtered.

it is a subtle form of information denial couched as being good for you and not ill intended. It's like a war, it does not matter 'who or what' killed the civilian, they are still dead.

Essentially Facebook and Google (and some others) are the equivalent of, in military psyop terms... of being an 'area denial weapon'.

I go through the effort of finding a simple name for what they are as this is needed to transmit a message as far as possible. It must evoke emotions, and visuals... and the term (wordgroup) must be simple. The trick is to use the catchphrase as a key for unlocking a larger thought pattern, not a ending on it's own. It is also best to use phraseology (at least with similar toning and shaping, so the fit is quicker and better) that the general public is aware of.

Thus the simple sentence that creates the greatest confusion AND curiosity in the reader.

"Google and Facebook are 'area denial weapons' ".

You can take that curious arrangement of words just about anywhere and it will remain with the reader and arouse their curiosity. Psychology 101 class, on the manufacturing of headliners. And that kind of deliberate and controlled phrasing is what gets messages across to many more people. compared to lets say a conversation or long ramble on getting people to change their search engines and get past filtering.

That simple seven words is low on immediate negative emotional content/voicing, so the package is clean...but it inserts the right thing in the given mind... in the right way.

It is also easy to translate to other languages without losing it's impact or meaning.

So when someone says to you 'Facebook', or 'Google'....your word association retort is 'area denial weapon'.

See what I mean?
    Last edited by Carmody; 18th May 2011 at 17:06.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

000 (18th May 2011), Karma Ninja (18th May 2011), Trail (7th August 2011), ulli (18th May 2011)

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

how does the universe work with relation to karma and ripple effects, regarding how scalar waves form the underlying aspects of reality? The underlying considerations of 3d molecular reality and time, space, matter energy, etc?

The moment I posted this, within a minute or two at best, I had an earthquake tremor. true? I'm still on the fence about that, but I do get them often. I am not in an earthquake area. There is no nearby construction. Ripples in the timelines?

As for the three words, artfully arranged and placed.... such a thing can change the direction and course of Google and Facebook, and all things connected to it/them. Which is one hellaciously huge mass of human energy and expression.

It is the art of finding the right lever to change the world, not trying to go against the machine with the incorrect tools.
    Last edited by Carmody; 18th May 2011 at 17:27.

20. Link to Post #12
    TimelessDimensions

Free Will is powerful, but Unconditional Love is MORE powerful..

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimelessDimensions For This Post:

Karma Ninja (18th May 2011), Lettherebelight (18th May 2011)

22. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TimelessDimensions (here)
    Most beings on this earth can't get behind the idea of unconditional love --as a motive and outcome. Too much Fear.

Fear can be used, right here, to help people get behind the idea of Free Will, which assuages their fears.

The bomb hiding in the candy.....is that free will takes you to unconditional love.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

000 (18th May 2011), Karma Ninja (18th May 2011), Lettherebelight (18th May 2011)

24. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,709 times in 914 posts

True eloquence, is the truth, spoken concisely.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Lettherebelight For This Post:

Karma Ninja (18th May 2011)

26. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lettherebelight (here)

True eloquence, is the truth, spoken concisely.
    And 99% of the populace still needs contemplation or any moments of calm of the intermediate mental steps -in order to get there. Those are important things to say (what the two of you are saying) , at any given time but they are not the path. They are the endpoint, for most. The context of the path must be inherent and spoken in those terms, ways, and endpoint, yes.

There are as many methods of getting there as there are people on the planet. Most of them start with their fears.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Karma Ninja (18th May 2011)

28. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

I had a feeling this would have been brought up before and Avalon doesn't let me down very often.

I didn't mean to instill or convey any fear. It is about the quality of information that might be available. Sometimes the top hits on a google or yahoo search will be decided by the website owner paying to be top ranked as well. A contractor I used for a renovation to my house told me this is how he came up first on my internet search. Essentially everything we do on the internet is traceable and stored somewhere. This is a given. Unless extreme measures are taken then virtually nothing is kept private. This is not a huge concern to me as my membership here and decision to post my thoughts might indicate. We can hear how easily traceable our information is when people with anonymous usernames are linked during criminal trials and uncovered after the fact by the police. There is such a large group of people who are waking up that it might be best to shine brightly, right here, out in the open!

Thanks for the input!

Timeless Dimensions thank you for your succinct and beautiful message my friend!

29. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Cool - looking at it, it seems that StartingPage is provided by Ixquick. StartingPage.com focuses on just providing results from the Google search engine, whereas Ixquick.com provides results from several search engines. Both make considerable effort to protect your privacy.
    starting page is now filtering via orign point locational cues, or google has figured a way around it. I searched for soemthing according to google and was steered locally, so I miss all the titles and searches I am after.

I took the same term and searched for it on starting page.

Same results.

Ixquick is not filtering, it gave me the true web results I was looking for.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Hervé (5th August 2011), Karma Ninja (8th August 2011), modwiz (5th August 2011)

31. Link to Post #18
    Australia Avalon Member cheez_2806's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome~ is that why sometimes I call up a friend to search in google and she typed exactly what I spelled out for her and she gets totally different results -3-...

32. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,180 times in 550 posts

It used to be that the most popular search returns were the most popularly visited sites. But that is not the case anymore. It has literally become an expression of the things that interest YOU.
    Correction: this applies mostly for Google, and it has become an expression of what Google THINKS interests you.

Oh, and it's not a secret anymore. :-)

33. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,180 times in 550 posts

Quote Google, for example, is trying its best to figure out what my interests are so it can show advertisements that may be of interest to me.
    Yes, but I don't want advertisements. I want information that has no commercial strings attached to it. If I want to buy a book, I'll go directly to Amazon or to some other store (preferably physical); if I want a pizza, I already know where to find the pizza that I like; and if it's too late to order it, well, tough, I'll wait and buy it the next day, if I am still in the mood - like in the good old days when people did not think instant gratification was the only way to have fun.

That's why I never even look at advertisements.
    When I do - just to see what Google thinks of "me" - I do it to have a good laugh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast