+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to teach our children ... following Inelia's interview.

1. Link to Post #1
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,734 times in 1,428 posts

Default What to teach our children ... following Inelia's interview.

We've all said that the education system was **** (and it is) and so here's my list of what our education should cater for. Yes, teach our children the three r's by all means, but then teach them: (Please feel free to expand and add .....)

To survive and look after themselves and other species:

FIRST AID
    In an accident it is a fact that people are saved by people – not doctors or nurses – PEOPLE! Therefore you would think that they would teach FIRST AID in schools, rather than biology, amoeba, protococus, sex life of a newt, etc.

GARDENING;
    crop rotation and what grows in what conditions
    essential nutrients for the body – how to stay alive
    add

MATHS
    how to get a mortgage
    what finance is all about, credit cards, etc. and what to avoid
    add

SPIRIT
    Teach people how to meditate
    OBEs, remote view
    protection from psychic attack
    how to empathise with others and to help them where necessary
    to respect all forms of life
    to forgive and move on
    to appreciate art, music and dance
    add

GYM
    self defence, mental, physical and spiritual
    add

PRACTICAL
    how to clothe themselves and find shelter
    how to cook without an oven
    add

What can you add?

Lin x
    Last edited by Miller; 22nd May 2011 at 16:40.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

alxz (23rd May 2011), Amenjo (22nd May 2011), Bridey (23rd May 2011), butcherman (23rd May 2011), Chuck (27th May 2011), dmarie (22nd May 2011), DoubleHelix (23rd May 2011), Floor (23rd May 2011), Jake (22nd May 2011), jasontorque (22nd May 2011), kimmie (23rd May 2011), Lifesong (22nd May 2011), Lord Sidious (22nd May 2011), seko (22nd May 2011), shadowstalker (28th May 2011), Sierra (22nd May 2011), Swanette (22nd May 2011), transitionalman (27th May 2011), ulli (22nd May 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: What to teach our children ... following Inelia's interview.

A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT.

it's just wonderful.

LUCID DREAMING

it's just got natural OBE's written all over it.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MoSh187 For This Post:

Chuck (27th May 2011), dmarie (22nd May 2011), jasontorque (23rd May 2011), Lord Sidious (27th May 2011), Miller (23rd May 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Germany Avalon Member christian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,191 times in 2,965 posts

The stuff listed above is very practical, learn it yourself! Your children will appreciate seeing you do all that, that will be inspiring as well.

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea."

Let them follow their own intuition and just give them a safe environment in which they can express themselves, support them in what they want to accomplish, don't project your ideas unto them.

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to christian For This Post:

alxz (23rd May 2011), butcherman (23rd May 2011), Chuck (27th May 2011), dmarie (22nd May 2011), Ella (23rd May 2011), Hummingbird (23rd May 2011), InTheBackground (23rd May 2011), jasontorque (23rd May 2011), Lord Sidious (22nd May 2011), Miller (23rd May 2011), scooterdubz (23rd May 2011), transitionalman (27th May 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

FIRST AID
    In an accident it is a fact that people are saved by people – not doctors or nurses – PEOPLE! Therefore you would think that they would teach FIRST AID in schools, rather than biology, amoeba, protococus, sex life of a newt, etc.

GARDENING;
    crop rotation and what grows in what conditions
    essential nutrients for the body – how to stay alive
    add

MATHS
    how to get a mortgage
    what finance is all about, credit cards, etc. and what to avoid
    add

SPIRIT
    Teach people how to meditate
    OBEs, remote view
    protection from psychic attack
    how to empathise with others and to help them where necessary
    to respect all forms of life
    to forgive and move on
    to appreciate art, music and dance
    to lose all Fear
    how a gift based culture works (completely replaces the MATHS section)
    add

GYM
    self defence, mental, physical and spiritual
    add

PRACTICAL
    how to clothe themselves and find shelter
    how to cook without an oven
    add

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dukes4monny For This Post:

alxz (23rd May 2011), InTheBackground (23rd May 2011), jasontorque (23rd May 2011), Lord Sidious (22nd May 2011), Miller (23rd May 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,819 times in 790 posts

Most of this we teach in Boy Scouting. I teach the first aid, family life, and emergency preparedness merit badges, these are eagle required badges. I have been a scout leader for 8 years and it is a wonderful program for boys.

10. Link to Post #6
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 times in 306 posts

Wilderness Skills/Nature Appreciation

how to go camping in the rain and not scream at your mom that you want to go home
    how to cook food on fires, stoves, etc
    wild foraging skills
    natural history and ecological understandings of inteconnectivity
    how to poop/pee in the woods [you'd be amazed at how many teens/young adults are terrified of this]
    what works well as 'natural' toilet paper, definite things to avoid as well
    how to camp and not leave a trace
    how to build makeshift shelters and then take them down and not leave a trace
    how to build reasonable fires [not the book burning megalith piles of fire I often see in US campgrounds]

re: Finance
    how to balance a checkbook
    how to keep a ledger of expenses to track spending
    why avoiding mortages and credit cards is mission-critical on soooo many levels

Gardening
    how to cook what you grow and make it tasty
    how to prepare your own food

Life skills
    how to tidy up a dwelling and keep track of things you need, get comfortable regularly purging what you don't need
    how to do your own laundry
    how to entertain yourself without TVs, computers, electronics
    how to sew, mend, repair a variety of items including clothing

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Artemesia For This Post:

Chuck (27th May 2011), jasontorque (23rd May 2011), Lord Sidious (22nd May 2011), Miller (10th June 2011)

12. Link to Post #7
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 times in 306 posts

Quote Posted by Jean-Marie (here)
    Most of this we teach in Boy Scouting. I teach the first aid, family life, and emergency preparedness merit badges, these are eagle required badges. I have been a scout leader for 8 years and it is a wonderful program for boys.
    I almost don't want to share this with you, but among land management agencies and their 'enforcement' and visitor contact employees, the Boy Scouts are some of the most dreaded wild place users ever. Size limit violations, overzealous egotistical parent supervision who refuse to listen to any leave no trace concepts, getting lost, inability to self rescue, trashing camps, trenching tent pads, its all there.

I am sure there are some really great boy scout leaders, hopefully yourself.

But if you wonder why the rangers always contact your group, the above is some clue. They are not really your friends, they are sniffing out potential problems. Be impeccable and you'll have none.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artemesia For This Post:

Lord Sidious (22nd May 2011), Miller (23rd May 2011)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,819 times in 790 posts

Quote Posted by Artemesia (here)
    Quote Posted by Jean-Marie (here)
    I almost don't want to share this with you, but among land management agencies and their 'enforcement' and visitor contact employees, the Boy Scouts are some of the most dreaded wild place users ever. Size limit violations, overzealous egotistical parent supervision who refuse to listen to any leave no trace concepts, getting lost, inability to self rescue, trashing camps, trenching tent pads, its all there.

I am sure there are some really great boy scout leaders, hopefully yourself.

But if you wonder why the rangers always contact your group, the above is some clue. They are not really your friends, they are sniffing out potential problems. Be impeccable and you'll have none.
    I am an Assistant Scoutmaster with the oldest troop in the USA. We practice "Leave No Trace". As an adult "trained" leader I follow the scout Oath, Law and Promise. Children learn what they live. I have seen in some other troops issues that you mention. The rangers where we camp love us and every camp out the boys will do a service project for the area. I have one son that is an eagle scout and two that need one more badge and a project. They live a service to others life and Volunteerism and Community Service we practice weekly.

Not All Scouts are as you mention. Some of us Follow the rules and teach the program as it was intended to be taught.

15. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

What great lists!

All I can think to add would be medicinal herbology. We still need the sciences, along with consciousness, harmonics, etc. And our real history, if we ever truly find it out.

I love the gift-based culture idea in theory, although I wonder how that would work in practice?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lifesong For This Post:

Chuck (27th May 2011), dukes4monny (23rd May 2011), InTheBackground (23rd May 2011), Miller (23rd May 2011)

17. Link to Post #10
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

how to create something to cator to a need , how to modify an item created for a different purpose and adapt it to fulfill a current requirement

looking at an everyday object and seeing its potential use, other than what its manufacturers intended

necessity the mother of invention

€=[Post Update]=€

hence the popularity of the macgyver series, appeals to our more creative side

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

alxz (23rd May 2011), InTheBackground (23rd May 2011), Miller (23rd May 2011)

19. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lifesong (here)

I love the gift-based culture idea in theory, although I wonder how that would work in practice?
    Charles Eisenstein gives a great description of 'living in the gift' in the video below.
    In practice, viewed from our existing paradigm, it can seem hopeless when we think about 'gifting', but we already do this for our 'nearest and dearest', we do / give things for them without any expectation of something in return, so it is only a very small step for the mind to see everyone / everything around us as our 'nearest and dearest'.
    Obviously, our banks and utility companies aren't (yet) going to turn around and say "don't worry about paying your mortgage / bills because you helped Joe Bloggs with something", but I now see a clear distinction about what I do once I have satisfied my jailers requirement for money.
    Gifting starts off with the concious mind, it's a deliberate act, and the ego requires a payment of sorts......a simple 'thanks' keeps it happy. It's it a bit like learning to drive, when we start off, everything is done consciously.......after doing it for some time, the act of driving is taken over by the subconscious mind, and the same thing does happen with gifting. When gifting happens subconsciously, the ego is no longer involved in the process and no thanks are necessary.......in fact I find that in these situations, if money is offered as some kind of reward it can get quite difficult.......this is something that I still struggle to deal with.
    Since I have switched to a more gifting way of life, I have also been the recipient of some truly wonderful and unexpected gifts.........

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dukes4monny For This Post:

Miller (23rd May 2011)

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by bluestflame (here)
    how to create something to cator to a need , how to modify an item created for a different purpose and adapt it to fulfill a current requirement

looking at an everyday object and seeing its potential use, other than what its manufacturers intended

necessity the mother of invention[COLOR="red"]

Love this one, and am trying to incorporate it into our everyday lives more and more. I let my 11 year old son modify an old bike last year, and he had a blast doing it. Very creative work. It ended up deep blue with silver and gold stars and speckles.

It's funny, my mate and I both come from similar backgrounds -- grew up with very little -- and it has affected us in opposite ways. He initially bought into the "it's only good if I buy it new and pay a lot of money for it" and is slowly working his way out of it, while I bought into the "I can make it myself and make it better" mindset. I like to buy used items or "found" items, and reenergize them and repurpose them. It makes me happy.

To all of the above, I would add:

Appreciating and deriving joy from the natural world, and helping them to discover that they are a part of it

Sky-gazing

Awareness of all, to the minutest detail

Living in the moment, with an eye for the big picture

How to love, purely (and without projecting neediness/desperation/needing to manipulate) ... to just love -- This above all others
    Last edited by InTheBackground; 23rd May 2011 at 15:06.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InTheBackground For This Post:

bluestflame (23rd May 2011), Chuck (27th May 2011), Miller (23rd May 2011)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

I agree with chiquetet, children will always copy the parent.. From the moment of birth( possibly at conception) the child starts taking on the parents vibrational levels of existence. Can't make a child eat healthy when then parent doesn't, Can't make a child meditate when you don't

The key is the word "make" you can't force them they must be self motivated, make there own freewill choice
    So leading by example is the way to show the children how growing a garden can be fun, how meditating can feel great, and eating healthy gives your sheath nutrition etc.

Parents are the education system, if we wait for the power control grid to give us there version or even allow them to run "our" version it will be slowly pushed back to the same victim hood training and not for empowerment

Great thread W1ndmill

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hummingbird For This Post:

dukes4monny (23rd May 2011), Miller (23rd May 2011)

25. Link to Post #14
    TimelessDimensions

Teach them (children) whatever they request at the time..

We have two-ears and one mouth.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TimelessDimensions For This Post:

Miller (23rd May 2011)

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

I don't think we need to teach our children anything.

There are some things we can help them remember, and a whole lot of things they can help us remember.

They usually 'know' way more than we do.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happyexpat For This Post:

ketturah (27th May 2011), Miller (10th June 2011)

29. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,634 times in 412 posts

All the above plus:

How to choose a mate (for the older teenage kids)

I would start with suggesting to them that they observe their prospective partner while he/she is stressed, not when they are trying to impress. For what emerges while under duress is most likely what they'll be married to. lol

Or another method is to get their prospective partner drunk and watch what is hidden underneath conditioned personality. heheheh

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck For This Post:

Miller (10th June 2011)

+ Reply to Thread