+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 6 LastLast

Thread: Food Foresting

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 times in 812 posts
    Last edited by Ilie Pandia; 26th October 2011 at 04:46.
    Why not now?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

Maria Stade (27th October 2011), Marianne (24th August 2011), Rainbowbrite (10th June 2011), Ramdass528 (3rd June 2011)

3. Link to Post #22
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 times in 479 posts

Default Re: Food Foresting

Awesome, thank you so much. My wife is watching it and says thanks The world is full of solutions.

Namaste, Steven

4. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Anyone know what kind of worms can survive very deep freezes like 20 below for 4 months? our ground freezes to 6 feet. My lasagna beds need them but I don't know what kind to get... there are no worms in these parts.. I dont worry about them infesting the land, as some purests do as most of the land around here can't sustain a worm... not enough humus to feed on.

5. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 times in 1,148 posts

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    Anyone know what kind of worms can survive very deep freezes like 20 below for 4 months? our ground freezes to 6 feet. My lasagna beds need them but I don't know what kind to get... there are no worms in these parts.. I dont worry about them infesting the land, as some purests do as most of the land around here can't sustain a worm... not enough humus to feed on.
    This resource might help answer your questions: Worm Composting Canada
    http://www.wormcomposting.ca/

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

edina (29th August 2011), nomadguy (10th June 2011), panopticon (7th December 2011)

7. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)

Oy thats a toughy, II think one way to do this is indeed composting, Kobashi style composting produces a lot of heat, and you centralize all of this process even heating water tube-sprials that are buried in the mounds to then soak the excess food waste when it gets dry, if you have a fire ~a wall for this mound to lean against is also a good idea, so you really need to look at constructing this into the current way you heat your home as it is now.
    ~ (mainly excess greens) as food for the worms.

here are a couple of ideas that you can gather insight from

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yu2kw91uuGA

and

https://youtube.com/watch?v=96fSX...586372329970E3

and

https://youtube.com/watch?v=446WshBQW-4

THINK INTEGRATION
    If you also have a Cold frame garden going on already put this into the system,

Above is a cold frame for sprouting I spotted on the permaculture site today.

Also Solar heating(fresnel lens then tank the heated water in an ideal spot IE LOW),
    plus the hot air from your cooking could be ventilated into your compost area.

So in review of these topics,
    One can vent the hot air underneath a deck lets say
    and you make a hole in the deck where you can pile your compost Say uner you house int he basement or something like that (make sure it is clean compost, no animal, all greens mainly, with very few fruit waste deposits)
    Design the hole to have enough space so that you can surround your pile with hay bales, and you then add mushroom juices(dry mushrooms ground up then added to warm water) to your hay bales,
    and add bean juices(been sprout rinse water, or beany juices from a meal) to your bales over time, I also like to add coffee excess. This gives much needed nutrients to the whole system and should speed up the process for quicker heating or decomposition.
    Now if it is REALLY cold add water tanks surrounding the pile then the bales outside of that, so it will be layered,
    Form the inside out > compost then water tanks and then hay bales. All of which is in >In your deck hole. And it is lower than the floor and you added vents to force warm air down there from kitchen cookery or some other hot air source.
    and if you can put your hot water pipes through there.

Does this sound like it has some value ? Please feel free to poke at this and correct me if I am off anywhere or add your points if. I am truly thinking it out with you all.

Cheers
    C...
    Last edited by Ilie Pandia; 26th October 2011 at 04:49.
    Why not now?

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

Cjay (11th June 2011), edina (29th August 2011), Maria Stade (27th October 2011), panopticon (7th December 2011), Rainbowbrite (10th June 2011)

9. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Thanks guys, I already do Bokashi composting and I have started a thread on it.....

as far as running pipes with hot water... I don't thinks so.
    We get 20 and 30 below for many weeks here in the winter.. one slip up and the whole thing freezes and breaks.. besides, we escape this time of year and head for Mexico..

...Just got to find durable worms... or none at all.

that guy with the neat cold frame cellar.... is almost laughable for our climate...he says zone 6 . we are 3 to 4... varying year to year. We freeze to 6 feet below ground level and I suppose that if you are really industrious and creative you can make it work... but I tell you when its 20 and 30 below folks just dont go out side much at all and with wind chill we get down to 40 below, easy... and its very windy here generally. I doubt it can be done without using electicity around here unless it were somehow structured into the basement of the house facing a south slope where the house would be a huge insulating factor above it. My husband says our basement will never freeze as long as someone is living in the house... so i put a root cellar down there.

We plan to build a green house, maybe next year.. that will extend our growing season by 4 weeks on each end of the season. the north side will be lined with black water barrels for heat retention and part of the roof will be insulated..... cold frames can do it for about that long too. If you want longer you have to heat artifically....

We will have a sun room on the south side of the house and once we move in we should be able to grow a numbe of things there year round... being able to heat it with the wood stove in the living room on real cold days/nights just by opening the windows between the rooms. We will also have insulation panels to fit into the windows come sunset.

but none of this answers the question about worms surviving the winter.. I left my question on the website that cjay provided. .. them being way up in Canada maybe they know...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Cjay (11th June 2011), edina (29th August 2011), panopticon (7th December 2011)

11. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

If you find out anything about cold hearty worms, please post that info here.
    Cheers!
    Why not now?

12. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Last edited by Ilie Pandia; 26th October 2011 at 04:50.
    Why not now?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

Cjay (15th June 2011), edina (29th August 2011), panopticon (7th December 2011)

14. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

300 Year Old Food Forest in Vietnam

This is one of the little extras on the DVD title "Establishing a Food Forest" with Permaculture teacher Geoff Lawton. Whilst Geoff was in Vietnam he discovered a 300 year old Food Forest built on 2 acres of land and still functioning well in the same family 28 generations later.
    More info: http://www.ecofilms.com.au/

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

edina (29th August 2011), Maria Stade (27th October 2011), panopticon (7th December 2011)

16. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

2,000 Year Old Food Forest in Morocco

One of the extras featured on Geoff Lawton's DVD "Establishing a Food Forest" the Permaculture Way
    available from www.permaculture.org.au

Last edited by Cjay; 15th June 2011 at 08:12.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

edina (29th August 2011), Maria Stade (27th October 2011), panopticon (7th December 2011)

18. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

Vermicomposting Trench - All Natural Fertilizer Factory for Your Garden!

A Canadian guy (judging by his accent) discusses composting with worms in a trench. If you live in an extremely cold climate, make the trench deeper than your ground freezes so worms can stay warm in winter and add plenty of straw or other insulating material on top.

Quote This is a system I came up with back in the summer of 2008, when I was attempting to process hundreds of pounds of food waste provided by a local restaurant. Let me first point out the fact that I in NO way am claiming to have "invented" trench composting - this is just my twist on it. My trenches have worked really well thus far - and the '08 summer food waste extravaganza was particularly impressive (the next summer I used manure as my main material). It's a great way to grow plants and put your composting worms to good use in the garden - and avoid the hassle of trying to separate out the worm compost!

more information: http://www.RedWormComposting.com

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

20. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cjay (here)
    2,000 Year Old Food Forest in Morocco

One of the extras featured on Geoff Lawton's DVD "Establishing a Food Forest" the Permaculture Way
    available from www.permaculture.org.au

This one is my personal favorite, in a slightly closer latitude to the poles there is a different variety of plants and trees that are a group that always go together like this in more temperate oasis forests. IE like Apples, Cherries, Peach, blackberries, currants, grape, strawberries etc (to name a few in the group) And this is very noticeable in the North west or northern California.
    Why not now?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

panopticon (7th December 2011)

22. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Last edited by Ilie Pandia; 26th October 2011 at 04:52.
    Why not now?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

Cjay (25th July 2011), panopticon (7th December 2011)

24. Link to Post #34

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

Cjay (25th July 2011), panopticon (7th December 2011)

26. Link to Post #35
    New Zealand Avalon Member etheric underground's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,918 times in 540 posts

Great inclusion nomad guy.
    A question for you??
    An old tribal trick that has been past on to me, which many seem to scoff at
    but I find quite intriguing is this........
    to grow any thing to coinside with you and whoever eats from your garden
    you should place the seeds of what it is your intending to grow in your mouth for 8 minutes
    the seeds will absorb your D.N.A, you then place these seeds into mother earth.
    Your vegetables or fruit will grow a specific way according to the needs of the person who transmuted there saliva.
    In affect you have fruit and veg that will adapt to your D.N.A and give you what your body requires perfectly.
    Have you heard this before ???

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to etheric underground For This Post:

Cjay (25th July 2011), edina (29th August 2011), Gardener (8th November 2011), sygh (30th October 2011)

28. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

Yes I have only described to me was that you only had to do this for a minute or two. The saliva would help break down the timing mechanism of the seed so that it would germinate sooner than later and your DNA is in it as well. And while the seed is in your mouth the frequency that is your DNA is recorded or transmitted to the seed. I cannot say that I had a lot of luck with this technique. And to add we can blame some hungry squirrels and/or slugs or earwigs for that as they ate my seedlings.
    Why not now?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

etheric underground (23rd July 2011)

30. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

Default Re: Food Foresting ; Foresting Strategies for Drylands

Foresting Strategies for Drylands
    Here are some notes I came up with during a coffee break. SLOPE is a huge ally for creating a food forest environment.

So referring the above sketch, groves of trees on slopes mtns and perhaps even flat have a way of slowing cloud traffic and wick more precipitation down from cloud masses and dew vapor then they leaves or needles direct the water to the best possible potential spot. Or "superposition". The larger effect I am attempting to express is complex cloud convection cycles are created by tree masses.

Here is a quick way to alter a slope for the purpose of reforestation, bioremediation or food foresting and permaculture gardening.

------

This article had originally spurred my interest
    http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.co...-drylands.html

Water Catchment Strategies for Drylands: Swales
    3/11/2007 01:17:00 PM | Author: DJEB
    By Douglas JE Barnes

Last edited by nomadguy; 25th August 2011 at 03:42. Reason: forum went wacky
    Why not now?

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

Cjay (25th August 2011), edina (29th August 2011), panopticon (7th December 2011), sygh (30th October 2011), wolf_rt (24th December 2011)

32. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Last edited by Ilie Pandia; 26th October 2011 at 04:57.
    Why not now?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

panopticon (7th December 2011)

34. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Why Food Forests? by Angelo Eliades October 21, 2011 permaculture.org.au
    http://permaculture.org.au/2011/10/21/why-food-forests/
    Why not now?

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

Maria Stade (27th October 2011), panopticon (7th December 2011), sygh (30th October 2011)

36. Link to Post #40
    Ilie Pandia

I've disabled most of the video embeds in this thread.

There were so many that were causing problems with loading the thread in a browser.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilie Pandia For This Post:

Marin (26th October 2011), nomadguy (26th October 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 6 LastLast