+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Are there 'A's here that do martial arts?

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 times in 248 posts

Default Are there 'A's here that do martial arts?

I thought I'd start this thread, because I'm quite into martial arts (no expert though), and I thought it'd be interesting to find out what you think of certain styles etc.

Here's my experience -

Ishin Ryu:

When I was very young I did a style called IshinRyu, I don't really remember much to be honest, but am curious to know if anyone else did this. You don't hear much about it these days.

Wado Ryu:
    I did this for about three years when I was in my mid teens, but I left because I didn't feel it was very effective for the most part in the real world, or maybe my instructor was just poor?

Shotokan:
    at the start of my 20's, I decided to try a different style. I felt Shotokan was the best of the three karate styles. I nearly got to black belt, but as any good martial artist will tell you, belts are good for holding your trousers up, and that's about it.

Black belt doesn't mean you're definitely good at it. I learned this when I was two belts away from black, and I decided to quit. This was partially due to my Sensei making me pay for lessons when I was on tour, and I just couldn't keep up the payments though. Even though I felt it was the best karate style I had experieced, I could see big gaps with the style.

Ninjutsu:
    Recently, as in the last year or so, I've been training in Ninjutsu, learning both Ninpo and Jujutsu.

This is the first style where I feel a lot of ground is covered, and the techniques are very well thought out, and amazing when executed correctly. I consider this to be the style for me, and would be surprised if that changes in the future.

What I also like about it, is that it doesn't have this 'I can destroy you' mentality. Its more like, I'll do anything to avoid a fight, but if I have to defend myself or my family, I can do it well. There's a big spiritual side to it, and its helped me develop my personality and attitude for the better (a bit like this place!).

Ok well that's it. I'd love to se what you guys and girls come back with!

Cheers,
    ND

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to New Dawn For This Post:

Anna (3rd June 2011), christian (31st May 2011), Cjay (31st May 2011), DoubleHelix (31st May 2011), g.k.r (31st May 2011), ghostrider (31st May 2011), Hummingbird (2nd June 2011), Isthatso (1st June 2011), jimbojp (31st May 2011), Karma Ninja (31st May 2011), Lord Sidious (31st May 2011), MMA_Fan (31st May 2011), Positive Vibe Merchant (6th June 2011), Rainbowbrite (31st May 2011), wegge (31st May 2011), yaksuit (31st May 2011), YUPANQUI PUMA (6th June 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Are there 'A's here that do martial arts?

lord sid is the one to talk about this with

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to g.k.r For This Post:

Cjay (31st May 2011), Lord Sidious (31st May 2011), New Dawn (31st May 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

the way of the dragon for me kung fu on an of since 1972.

Butcherman

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butcherman For This Post:

Cjay (31st May 2011), New Dawn (31st May 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 times in 479 posts

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu since a long time. And Yoga with my wife

Namaste, Steven

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steven For This Post:

Cjay (31st May 2011), DoubleHelix (31st May 2011), New Dawn (31st May 2011), yaksuit (31st May 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    Germany Avalon Member christian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,119 times in 2,959 posts

I've been doing some Aikido, Wing Chun, Wun Hop Kuen Do, Capoeira, Jiu Jitsu, Iaido and I do this as a dance, a play, I get uncomfortable when not moving enough. I figure our bodies are made to move since stoneage, contemporary man doesn't have to move a lot and hence many diseases, stress related syndroms etc. might occur because of this.

Every form, properly done, is for me simply a way to "talk your body for a walk", I feel good sweating during the training and feel relaxed and comfortable afterwards. It's a way of taking care of the vessel and if you want to interact with physical 3d reality, you most commonly need your body to do it, so I care about it, still knowing that it is only borrowed.

I'm not much interested in the actual fighting aspect, because in a serious fight there are so much more important factors than having learnt a certain technique, it might help though. After all, I consider spiritual development more important and as is said in the Art of War by Sun Tzu, the best fighter is unknown, achieves his victories without a [physical] fight, without anybody noticing it or being famous among the people.

I don't like to beat people up and don't like to be beaten up, when I really have to fight, I become a savage-caveman and it gets really dirty. There's no way I could engage in a training fight, because necessarily that would mean to hold back and to profane a very serious thing. Wrestling is an exception, because you don't really hurt each other, because you don't hit the other. I've spent half a year in Mongolia, people of all ages wrestle on the streets in the countryside just for joy, I lost most of the time, the guys there are really good at that
    Last edited by christian; 31st May 2011 at 12:12.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to christian For This Post:

Cjay (31st May 2011), Hummingbird (2nd June 2011), Lord Sidious (31st May 2011), New Dawn (31st May 2011), yaksuit (31st May 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    Australia Avalon Member DoubleHelix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 times in 438 posts

I've done various amounts of Boxing and Kick Boxing throughout my time but the only martial art I really got into was Zen Do Kai.

Zen Do Kai is a freestyle martial art that originated down here in Australia, the thing that really drew me towards Zen was that it incorporates so many different Styles. Some of the forms of fighting style included Muay Thai boxing, Brazilian Jujitsu, Judo, Karate and various types of weaponry. One of the most beneficial aspects of Zen I found was the emphasis on a) avoiding conflict b) self defence and c) defending against weapons i.e. knife attacks. It also operated with a belt system that went as high as 10th Dan

Another cool thing I found about this martial art was that anybody interested in persuing a career in the UFC could find all aspects covered in this one martial art.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DoubleHelix For This Post:

christian (31st May 2011), Cjay (31st May 2011), Lord Sidious (31st May 2011), New Dawn (31st May 2011)

13. Link to Post #7
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Been doing tai chi for 10 years or so. I love it!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimbojp For This Post:

Cjay (31st May 2011), New Dawn (31st May 2011)

15. Link to Post #8
    Great Britain Avalon Retired Member Anno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 times in 567 posts

I did some Preying Mantis Kung Fu in my early 20's but didn't like how it was totally focussed on the external. All western martial arts seem to suffer the same and I haven't bothered since. I truly do not believe that Westerners can learn true martial arts until they learn the inner half first. Chi/Ki, centering and the understanding that there is no opponent. I'm not interested in being macho and learning how to break arms in 12 ways. If I ever want to beat someone up, I'll buy a baseball bat. Quicker and cheaper.

Recently I've been learning about the philosophy and religious roots of Aikido. Which isn't really a Martial Art, but an Art of Peace. I'm tempted to learn the external but if you look at what masters say, including O'Sensei, the external movements are a road to the inner knowledge, which I already have. And according to Aikido, if I am at one with the Dao and acting accordingly (Dharma), then I am invincible and don't need any external form. I just need to 'be'.

So now I've decided to take up Archery as a Martial Art, in that it is a method for practising centering, be-ing and the focus of the will. I may start practising the physical Aikido but from my first paragraph you can understand why I don't like most western teachers.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anno For This Post:

christian (31st May 2011), Cjay (31st May 2011), New Dawn (31st May 2011)

17. Link to Post #9
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Quote Posted by New Dawn (here)
    I thought I'd start this thread, because I'm quite into martial arts (no expert though), and I thought it'd be interesting to find out what you think of certain styles etc.

Here's my experience -

Ishin Ryu:

When I was very young I did a style called IshinRyu, I don't really remember much to be honest, but am curious to know if anyone else did this. You don't hear much about it these days.

Wado Ryu:
    I did this for about three years when I was in my mid teens, but I left because I didn't feel it was very effective for the most part in the real world, or maybe my instructor was just poor?

Shotokan:
    at the start of my 20's, I decided to try a different style. I felt Shotokan was the best of the three karate styles. I nearly got to black belt, but as any good martial artist will tell you, belts are good for holding your trousers up, and that's about it.

Black belt doesn't mean you're definitely good at it. I learned this when I was two belts away from black, and I decided to quit. This was partially due to my Sensei making me pay for lessons when I was on tour, and I just couldn't keep up the payments though. Even though I felt it was the best karate style I had experieced, I could see big gaps with the style.

Ninjutsu:
    Recently, as in the last year or so, I've been training in Ninjutsu, learning both Ninpo and Jujutsu.

This is the first style where I feel a lot of ground is covered, and the techniques are very well thought out, and amazing when executed correctly. I consider this to be the style for me, and would be surprised if that changes in the future.

What I also like about it, is that it doesn't have this 'I can destroy you' mentality. Its more like, I'll do anything to avoid a fight, but if I have to defend myself or my family, I can do it well. There's a big spiritual side to it, and its helped me develop my personality and attitude for the better (a bit like this place!).

Ok well that's it. I'd love to se what you guys and girls come back with!

Cheers,
    ND
    I would stick with what you are doing now.
    Is it togakure ryu?
    Connected to Steven K Hayes?
    My sensei taught me a fight avoided is a fight won.
    I very rarely get past verbal, people can tell I am not messing.
    I prefer to not fight, but if I have no choice, then I prefer to devestate.
    The thing I loved most about ninjutsu is that it is a blanket art really, encompassing so many other things.
    There is something in it for everyone and women can excell at it due to the skills not requiring strength or size to excute them successfully.

Let's see Sho Kosugi in action.
    Obviously there is a lot of hollywood in this, but there is a core of truth.
    The old ninja really did have hand held flamethrowers and flash grenades.
    The use of shuko aka ''climbing claws'' is misportrayed, they are a sword defence weapon and for close quarters fighting, not necessarily for climbing, although you can use them for that too.
    The kusarigama is real, the ninja to is real, though they don't swish as you sweep with them and the shuriken and shaken are real too.

Last edited by Lord Sidious; 31st May 2011 at 13:36.

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Here is a very interesting video from the same movie.
    You can see Sho Kosugi executing the Kuji in mudras.
    Plus, the weapons you see include shuko, ninja to, shaken and shuriken and spikes.

19. Link to Post #11
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Not reacting.........not reacting..........then strike at the right moment! No hesitation, no fear.....know stillness.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

christian (31st May 2011), Cjay (31st May 2011), Davidallany (17th June 2011), Hummingbird (2nd June 2011), Lord Sidious (31st May 2011), New Dawn (31st May 2011), yaksuit (31st May 2011)

21. Link to Post #12
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,152 times in 2,815 posts

Boom Boom Akka Lakka Lakka Boom.......Bushak and if that dont make them run nothing will

22. Link to Post #13
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Thanks for your input everyone.

Lord Sidious, "Is it togakure ryu?
    Connected to Steven K Hayes?"

Erm, I don't know too much about that yet, but its part of Genbukan. My sensei trained with a grandmaster (I think the last living but not sure). I noticed in the clip the bit where he grabs the sword with the palm of his hands, that was the only bit that I know we'd never do. You only get one shot to get that right, and its not worth the risk

Regarding the comment about the western attitude, I couldn't agree more, but I'm happy to say my sensei has kept up the true tradition of the ninja, and I've already learned so much in a short space of time.

I can't do the backflips yet though
    Last edited by New Dawn; 31st May 2011 at 15:22. Reason: note to self: check spelling before posting! :)

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to New Dawn For This Post:

Anno (31st May 2011), Cjay (31st May 2011), Lord Sidious (31st May 2011)

24. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Erm, I don't know too much about that yet, but its part of Genbukan. My sensei trained with a grandmaster (I think the last living but not sure). I noticed in the clip the bit where he grabs the sword with the palm of his hands, that was the only bit that I know we'd never do. You only get one shot to get that right, and its not worth the risk

Regarding the comment about the western attitude, I couldn't agree more, but I'm happy to say my sensei has kept up the true tradition of the ninja, and I've already learned so much in a short space of time.

The grandmaster of the nine schools is Masaaki Hatsumi.
    You guys are associated to the togakure ryu, trust me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaaki_Hatsumi

25. Link to Post #15
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lord Sidious (here)

Thanks LS. Yes I know the guy you're talking about, he's very good, I saw a tv episode on him once, truly amazing man. I'm learning from a pupil of Grandmaster Tanemura Sensei, another very amazing man, and very spiritual. Do you know who I mean?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to New Dawn For This Post:

Cjay (31st May 2011)

27. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Thanks LS. Yes I know the guy you're talking about, he's very good, I saw a tv episode on him once, truly amazing man. I'm learning from a pupil of Grandmaster Tanemura Sensei, another very amazing man, and very spiritual. Do you know who I mean?
    Aha, you are with a totally different crowd, not associated with ninjutsu so much at all.
    The only surviving schools are togakure, iga and koga.
    I came across another one, but I am not sure it is genuine.
    Kushin ryu.

28. Link to Post #17
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Aha, you are with a totally different crowd, not associated with ninjutsu so much at all.
    The only surviving schools are togakure, iga and koga.
    I came across another one, but I am not sure it is genuine.
    Kushin ryu.
    Hmmm, not sure about that Mr LS, it seems quite ninjutsu to me. We're talking about a 2000 + old art, so its got to be relatively connected. I've learned about the gaurds, Sabaki Gata, Bokken etc, erist lockcs, the evasion with all the rolling, and in those clips you showed, the Seiza stances are performed the same etc.

Who knows! It's very good anyway! Im going to have the opportunity to train with Grandmaster sometime soon too, can't wait for that!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to New Dawn For This Post:

Cjay (31st May 2011), Lord Sidious (31st May 2011)

30. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Anno (here)
    I may start practising the physical Aikido but from my first paragraph you can understand why I don't like most western teachers.
    I guess you don't like a lot of things going on on our planet, yet you participate.
    I'm just saying, you could be in a Aikido-Dojo, learn something and get some inspiration and still stay true to your self while doing that. That's how I get along with my local Kung Fu Dojo.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christian For This Post:

Cjay (31st May 2011), yaksuit (31st May 2011)

32. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

That's beyond me as well... only in dreams

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christian For This Post:

Cjay (31st May 2011), New Dawn (1st June 2011)

34. Link to Post #20
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,157 times in 529 posts

got a yellow belt in karma sutra ....does that count.

i learnt three styles...hidden dragon...fighting monkey....and bitch slap.....
    Last edited by manny; 31st May 2011 at 18:20.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast