+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GALEX Confirms Nature of Dark Energy

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default GALEX Confirms Nature of Dark Energy

New results from NASA's Galaxy Evolution Explorer and the Anglo-Australian Telescope atop Siding Spring Mountain in Australia confirm that dark energy (represented by purple grid) is a smooth, uniform force that now dominates over the effects of gravity (green grid). The observations follow from careful measurements of the separations between pairs of galaxies (examples of such pairs are illustrated here).Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
    (The green grid lines "gravity" looks to me like galaxies jumping up and down on a trampoline...)

Quote http://www.universetoday.com/85816/g...f-dark-energy/

GALEX Confirms Nature of Dark Energy
    by Nancy Atkinson on May 19, 2011

A five-year survey of 200,000 galaxies, stretching back seven billion years in cosmic time, has led to one of the best independent confirmations that dark energy is driving our universe apart at accelerating speeds. The survey used data from NASA’s space-based Galaxy Evolution Explorer and the Anglo-Australian Telescope on Siding Spring Mountain in Australia.

The findings offer new support for the favored theory of how dark energy works — as a constant force, uniformly affecting the universe and propelling its runaway expansion. They contradict an alternate theory, where gravity, not dark energy, is the force pushing space apart. According to this alternate theory, with which the new survey results are not consistent, Albert Einstein’s concept of gravity is wrong, and gravity becomes repulsive instead of attractive when acting at great distances.

“The action of dark energy is as if you threw a ball up in the air, and it kept speeding upward into the sky faster and faster,” said Chris Blake of the Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia. Blake is lead author of two papers describing the results that appeared in recent issues of the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. “The results tell us that dark energy is a cosmological constant, as Einstein proposed. If gravity were the culprit, then we wouldn’t be seeing these constant effects of dark energy throughout time.”

Dark energy is thought to dominate our universe, making up about 74 percent of it. Dark matter, a slightly less mysterious substance, accounts for 22 percent. So-called normal matter, anything with atoms, or the stuff that makes up living creatures, planets and stars, is only approximately four percent of the cosmos.

The idea of dark energy was proposed during the previous decade, based on studies of distant exploding stars called supernovae. Supernovae emit constant, measurable light, making them so-called “standard candles,” which allows calculation of their distance from Earth. Observations revealed dark energy was flinging the objects out at accelerating speeds.

his diagram illustrates two ways to measure how fast the universe is expanding -- the "standard candle" method, which involves exploded stars in galaxies, and the "standard ruler" method, which involves pairs of galaxies. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

Dark energy is in a tug-of-war contest with gravity. In the early universe, gravity took the lead, dominating dark energy. At about 8 billion years after the Big Bang, as space expanded and matter became diluted, gravitational attractions weakened and dark energy gained the upper hand. Billions of years from now, dark energy will be even more dominant. Astronomers predict our universe will be a cosmic wasteland, with galaxies spread apart so far that any intelligent beings living inside them wouldn’t be able to see other galaxies.
    (Read more at above link)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oceanz For This Post:

D-Day (1st June 2011), ExomatrixTV (28th January 2024), mojo (1st June 2011), Steven (1st June 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,505 times in 5,654 posts

Default Re: GALEX Confirms Nature of Dark Energy

Thank you for posting. I really want to learn as much about this subject. The recent Stephen Hawking video on Nat Geo discussed dark energy/matter and was interesting as well. In my own sightings I have recorded a black enegry/matter that is associated with the UFO, I posted it on an earlier thread. Other times I have seen this dark energy moving above and around me. My videographer friend in Italy filmed this same type of dark matter in conjunction with his UFO sightings. It could be related to how the ET's phase shift into this dimension. Below I submit 3 clips my original which shows the dark matter and my two friends video clips. I actually didn't know there was dark matter showing up until my friend analyzed my footage and uploaded his findings to youtube. I recommend you watch that clip first and then go to my clip and see if you can spot the dark matter. Finally check out my friends longer clip from Italy. I'm curious why I haven't heard other UFO researchers sharing information on black shadows/matter/energy associated with UFO's. I'm keeping my eyes open to attempt filming more of this very interesting subject.

Last edited by mojo; 1st June 2011 at 03:04.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

D-Day (1st June 2011), ExomatrixTV (28th January 2024), oceanz (1st June 2011), Steven (1st June 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,135 times in 21,071 posts

Default Re: GALEX Confirms Nature of Dark Energy

• Biggest Study Ever Confirms Dark Energy But Also Finds Something Intriguing:

0:00 Dark energy discovery
    1:20 New data release confirms so many things!
    2:30 Three stages of the universe
    3:40 Sudden appearance of dark energy 3.8 billion years ago
    4:48 Equation of state confirmed and calculated
    6:02 New data confirms the universe will not rip apart
    7:05 Definitive confirmation for dark energy and answers to how universe expands
    8:05 Strange additional discoveries and suggestions that models are wrong
    9:00 Conclusions
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Harmony (28th January 2024), Inversion (29th January 2024), Vangelo (28th January 2024)

+ Reply to Thread