+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TECHNOCALYPS: A prophetic 2006 documentary about transhumanism

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 times in 752 posts

Default TECHNOCALYPS: A prophetic 2006 documentary about transhumanism

Here is a documentary about how fast technology is growing and how humans will create machines that will be so intelligent, that basically will take over eventually.

seko
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 4th June 2018 at 01:24. Reason: the video that seko embedded was taken down... please see my post #2 below

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seko For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (4th June 2018), Noelle (4th June 2018), Star Tsar (4th June 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,543 times in 32,789 posts

Default Re: TECHNOCALYPS: A prophetic 2006 documentary about transhumanism

This absolutely has to be bumped.

It's just a little thought-provoking that this documentary about Transhumanism was published 12 years ago, in 2006.

Here's a summary: (not my own)

~~~

Are we prepared for dealing with the prospect that humanity is not the end of evolution? Technocalyps is an intriguing three-part documentary on the notion of transhumanism by Belgian visual artist and filmmaker Frank Theys. The latest findings in genetics, robotics, artificial intelligence, bionics and nanotechnology appear in the media every day, but with no analysis of their common aim: that of exceeding human limitations.

The director conducts his enquiry into the scientific, ethical and metaphysical dimensions of technological development. The film includes interviews by top experts and thinkers on the subject worldwide, including Marvin Minsky, Terence McKenna, Hans Moravec, Bruce Sterling, Robert Anton Wilson, Richard Seed, Margareth Wertheim, Kirkpatrick Sale, Ralph C. Merkle, Mark Pesce, Ray Kurzweil, Rabbi Youssouf Kazen, Rael and many others.
    • Part 1: Transhuman

Part 1 gives an overview of recent technological developments (biogenetics, artificial intelligence, robotics, implants, nanotechnology), and prognoses made by leading scientists about the impact of these developments in the near future.
    • Part 2: Preparing for the Singularity

In this part advocates and opponents of a transhuman future are weighed against each other. Prognoses are offered about when we can expect the transhuman revolution, and how people are already preparing for it.
    • Part 3: The Metaphysics of Technology

This part covers the metaphysical consequences of the new technological revolution. On the one hand, scientists are starting to use metaphysical concepts to describe the impact of their research. On the other, a surprisingly large number of scientific projects are inspired by religious aspirations.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Bo Atkinson (4th June 2018), Jayke (4th June 2018), Mike (4th June 2018), Noelle (4th June 2018), onevoice (8th June 2018), Star Tsar (4th June 2018), sunwings (4th June 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,543 times in 32,789 posts

Okay, a further bump.

I came across this because of the standalone clip I looked for and found (which I posted here) of a cat which was wired to show scientists on a lab monitor what its eyes were seeing.

I knew that was public sector research, but I didn't know how old it was. That clip came from this documentary, TechnoCalyps.

So then I found and posted all the three parts, above. NOW, I'm watching the entire thing.

Be warned. I'm only a small way into Part 1, but OMG, this is hard to watch. Not because it's gruesome. Because the many truths it contains are VERY VERY uncomfortable to face and think about. (And, again, remember: this was made in 2006.)

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (4th June 2018), Jayke (4th June 2018), Mike (4th June 2018), Noelle (4th June 2018), Star Tsar (4th June 2018), sunwings (4th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,442 times in 21,492 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Be warned. I'm only a small way into Part 1, but OMG, this is hard to watch. Not because it's gruesome. Because the many truths it contains are VERY VERY uncomfortable to face and think about. (And, again, remember: this was made in 2006.)
    There is a strong, persistent, element of the brain washing, propaganda, imposed on humanity ... reducing us, in our minds, to being just mechanical or biological or genetic or physical or emotional or mental creatures.

It is important to our overlords that we do not realize all that we are.

Thus our enslavement continues, down through the ages.
    It's turtles layers, all the way down, and up, at least as far as the eye can see.
    May we have the vision, the awareness, to see further.

===

The Transhuman A.I. Singularity meme is a major psyop. Yes, electronic, digital, intelligence is running past our puny minds, just as the physical power of our machines ran past our puny bodies, in prior centuries.

But the fear of this "singularity" that is being instilled in us is blinding us to our higher selves, just as fear of the Vengeful God of the Old Testament blinded our devout religious ancestors for thousands of years.

The movie "The Matrix" was one of the more successful instruments of this psyop.

===

Part way into the 3rd part of these videos, they discuss the Hindu concept of higher self.

But this is done with an explanation of this higher reality as being like the virtual reality of a computer simulation, with images such as the following of a Hindu practitioner, and with a transition into the extent to which electronic gadgets have been enthusiastically accepted by some people in the Orient.
    Thus is any chance of a real connection with our higher self discouraged in the eyes of most Westerners who might view this video series.

Fear not. We are more than our bodies, or genetics, or minds.

===
    It's turtles layers, all the way down, and up, at least as far as the eye can see.
    ... self organizing, self-replicating layers ... as above, so below.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 4th June 2018 at 09:27.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th June 2018), Bo Atkinson (4th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th June 2018), Jayke (4th June 2018), Noelle (6th June 2018), onevoice (8th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,667 times in 638 posts

If this is a two horse race between biological and technological evolution then there is only one winner?

If you don´t believe trans humanism will win out, then just look at the Mobile Phone revolution. It has had a tsunami affect on society. Just how many people are walking around now with an old Nokia in their back pockets (It´s just Bill and the other 0.01%) ? What is coming is a digital asteroid wrapped up inside an apple box.

This documentary is brilliant, but quite simply terrifying as well. Next time you enter a high rise building look how at many people are waiting to take the lift/ elevator compared to the number of people opting for the stairs. Don´t expect the human population to reject this jump into the future, when faced with a daunting climb of biological/spiritual evolution.
    Last edited by sunwings; 4th June 2018 at 11:11.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th June 2018), Noelle (6th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Bo Atkinson's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,507 times in 829 posts

Thanks for the vids. I just jumped into part 3, to see the ‘devotional’ take…. I’m sure the whole series is highly worthy, but all too haunting from my AI encounters. Or what else might better define certain experiences. I just want to share the observation that evolutionary rationalizations appear dominant, but that… Besides, beyond and surprisingly before evolution, (as a theme which was introduced to humans), there has been this extraordinary word ‘involvation’. A word somewhat suggesting an opposite mission for consciousness.

I am gratefully dizzied, to find more, extensive download-enabled books to study! Naturally, this forum, already has had two search pages full of threads with the word ‘hylozoics’. (The apparent source stemming from Pythagoras.)

Excerpt The Basic Esoteric Dictionary http://www.laurency.com/

HUMANITY, STAGE OF The fourth of man’s five stages of development.
    "The most distinguishing trait of the humanist is his striving after common sense, a prerequisite for acquiring causal intuition. He can no longer, like the mystic, lose himself in the ineffable, but demands above all clarity in everything and facts for everything. His firm determination to comprehend reality and life despite everything compels him always to seek further... When he has come to the Sokratean realization that man cannot know anything worth knowing, he is ready to receive the esoteric knowledge.
    "In the old days, he would then have been chosen to be initiated into some secret knowledge order. Nowadays he is given the knowledge in a mental system of the fundamental facts of existence, which his reason compels him to accept as the only tenable working hypothesis." K 1.34.19f

HYLOZOICS (Gr. hyle, ‘matter’, and zoe, ‘life’) ‘Spiritual materialism’ or the doctrine that matter is the necessary basis of all consciousness. The system of esoteric knowledge formulated by the then 46-self Pythagoras was intended to form the basis of the science of the future. In advance of other esoteric systems, hylozoics is characterized by the fact that it alone explains that existence is a trinity of matter, motion, and consciousness; it alone explains that consciousness is a quality of matter and so doing clears away subjectivism and illusionism; it alone has abstained from vague symbolism and has instead strived after scientific exactitude and unambiguous terminology. In order to achieve this exactitude hylozoics in its explanations starts from the matter aspect.
    The modern formulation of hylozoics was presented by Henry T. Laurency in The Philosopher’s Stone in 1950 and contains as essential elements the following doctrines: the self is a primordial atom (monad), all the forms of nature are envelopes for monads, all consciousness (also the highest cosmic consciousness) is product of an evolution that pervades everything in the cosmos, there are seven basic laws of life, and mankind (every human individual) goes through five chief stages of development. (K 1.4, 5.3f, 7.2)

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bo Atkinson For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th June 2018), Noelle (6th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

I just keep thinking of what Linda M. Howe was told.....that 29 humans in Japan Aug, 2017 were killed by the 4 robots they had made. Does anyone know if this is REALLY true!

Hopefully, those of us here on Avalon DO realize who we REALLY are.....that way we put the "overlords" in their place with no power over us!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th June 2018), Noelle (6th June 2018), sunwings (5th June 2018), ThePythonicCow (4th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 times in 1,632 posts

Insightful documentary.

At about the 40-minute mark in the third video, we hear from mathematical physicist and cosmologist Frank Tipler.

Humans in the far future will be primarily virtual humans. Virtual humans will get into tiny spaceships, travel to the distant stars, colonize those nearby stars and start the same process again. What will happen is the universe will be slowly but surely converted from its current dead matter state to a living matter state. In the far future, the entire universe will be one gigantic computing machine.

I am having a tough time understanding how that would work, how we, as virtual humans, would go out into the universe to convert it from a dead matter state to a living matter state. And what if other planetary civilizations beat us to it?

Tipler theorizes we are already in a computer simulation. In this 2017 presentation to game developers/programmers, he discusses the physics/math behind his theory. He also thanks his gaming audience for their part in our future immortality.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), onevoice (8th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

I would offer that the Universe already IS one giant computing machine. We don't even know how many universes there are & our part in it must be very small, as humans, if other species can come in & do with us what they will.

I guess that is why we must wake up & take back our sovereignty.....I think of George Kavassilas' work in that respect. According to Jerry Wills, who went through the "door" at Amaruru in Peru, the universe WE live in was created by another who was "tinkering" trying to find out their own origin & purpose.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Noelle (6th June 2018)

+ Reply to Thread