+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: Good & Bad, does it really exist ?

1. Link to Post #61
    Great Britain Avalon Member bilko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 times in 256 posts

Default Re: Good & Bad, does it relly exist ?

I think the answer to your question is in the question itself.
    Good and bad are contrasting situations, one exposes the other.
    We create our lives around our perception of the contrast.

Our ultimate aim is growth through experience, to know our selves.
    If something is "good" or "bad" for too long then there is no movement, no expansion, no growth, and so we become stagnant. Or at least our life experiences do.
    Thankfully we are propelled by all other cycles of life in and around us, but without change or contrast exposing new experiences, the lessons in life; we die a little inside.

Emotions play a huge part in our perception of the contrast, without them the cognitive brain would have no problem recognizing the opportunities that experience present to us.

So; where do emotions come from and what is their function?
    I was going to mention instinct but i feel that is more of a trigger than than the emotion itself. Are emotions a chemical reaction in the brain or is that what causes the emotion?

Are emotions the contrast in their essence?
    Is that a separate question lol?
    Last edited by bilko; 18th June 2011 at 03:15.
    Today is a precious gift, thats why its called the present

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bilko For This Post:

Tony (18th June 2011)

3. Link to Post #62
    Great Britain Avalon Member bilko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 times in 256 posts

Default Re: Good & Bad, does it really exist ?

Forgive my brainstorming about emotions but i feel they are part of the answer.
    I would like to think that instinct is what triggers emotions in matters of the body. Fight or flight and all sub categories included with preservation and communication with our bodies and our environment.
    I would also like to think that emotion is the nudge our souls or spirit give us to act upon a situation in matters of spiritual growth.
    I would like to think that emotion is how we craft our lives by raising or lowering our vibration and sending that message if you will into the universe and beyond.

So how does emotion fit in with an explanation of "good" and "bad"?
    Hmm.... I don't think it does directly.

Ok, i have it...
    Good and bad do not exist not as tangible things although we knew that.
    I can see Good and Bad like the Schrödinger's cat experiment.
    You never know until you look!
    It is impossible due to circumstance, perception, chemical imbalances in people etc, etc.
    Good and bad are simply mile markers on the path of life.

Phew!, now i can go to bed at last.

Good

"DOH"!
    Today is a precious gift, thats why its called the present

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bilko For This Post:

Tony (18th June 2011)

5. Link to Post #63
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Dear Bilko,
    I love your thought process! Understanding the emotions is the key, without the conflict of foot on ground there would be no progression. The light reveals the shadows.
    If the light is bright enough, there are no shadows! The nature of the emotions are wisdoms.

All the best

Tony

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony For This Post:

bilko (18th June 2011)

7. Link to Post #64
    Norway Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by araucaria (here)
    Crownme
    I just chanced on some of your other posts on Davidallany's Women will lead thread in which you give some details of where you are coming from. I can see how my 'girl next door' thing must have hit a very raw nerve. I am very sorry about what happened to you. I did not know. I am sure you can find support from Avalon members, myself included, but please understand that these all guns blazing posts are not the way to go about it. Please try addressing single points in non-aggressive language and we can take it from there. You have been the victim of aggression and need to move away from that way of dealing with issues. It may take some time.
    all best wishes to you
    araucaria
    well waves o/

i asked by mail to be removed from this site but seems i still have acount, so i thought why the hell not leave a short message to whoever that cares to read

see i said that it wasnt it and you still say it hit a raw nerve ? you have a difficulty reading and understanding how words and sentences work? sorry just had to be alittle snippy at that one
    look even if you are reading my threads, who are to say that defines me ? do you really think you can draw forth all my emotions and experiences through my life just by reading a few sentences about me and make up the rest ?

im just throwing the question out there. if i said i hated women and like to slap them around, would that make you happy ? or just by saying this sentence now you assume that i actually do that ?
    and by that notion know for a fact that i do that ? without any shred of evidence ?

to tell you the truth i love women and men alike. i want them to sucseed in each their own way. i do not lie, i say that both ones does stuff.

but alas as you say...

"I just chanced on some of your other posts on Davidallany's Women will lead thread in which you give some details of where you are coming from. I can see how my 'girl next door' thing must have hit a very raw nerve. I am very sorry about what happened to you."

here you even know aparantly for a fact that a girl next door have hurt me ? or some girl are the reson for why i ask and write....

even though you know not a shred about who i am behind this screen...

and no you didnt hit a nerve , as i said i love both genders of humanity. i see Man&Woman for what they are. and the evergrowing potential in both to make this planet a joyous one. but it takes both...

418but aparantly you know where i come from so i have no say in who i am...

and about my language. why is that your main focus ? and not the issue in the thread ? why are you assulting me and denying what i say and make your own truth about me ?

look i speak as i speak and i dont judge no one else if they speak a language bad or good or are a master. as long ias i am understood with the message i dont care how it is copnveyed to me. and if someone have a problem with how i word myself they will ask if they feel it is really important stuff. and then i can try and explain more.

but if you feel you must atack me for some reson of opinion to judge me. go right ahead. i will not judge you for that.

but please respect my right to tell you when something that arent true about my beeing is being written about me..

you can try and cage me however you want, i will outgrow that cage and seek new experiences.

i wont be satisfied with just looking to get a good job, lots of cash, marry , get a kid then i can just die couse i did my duty..

im sorry if this comes of like bad but, i dont care for that kinda stuff. i have more i want to experience in a lifetime than just those 4 basic things job/marry/kid/die. oh yeah mabye win the lottery so that you can furfill your dreamhouse and/or hobby.

im sorry but ive outgrowned that one. so i dont care about that aspect. i want to grow. experience. learn. find my own happyness, not the one you tell me to have. i want to shine as who i am, not as the shadow you tell me i am.

but by all meens, read all what ive written, get mad and judge me, yell your oppinion at me. get me banned. i dont relly care

this is the last message anyway sooo many meenies humans on this forum :/

i dont wanna use half my time here arguing about who i am , taht is really booring, i live my life everyfrikkinday , i want something else than drama and this everhunt of judging who i am.

so to avoid drama i leave then you can finds someone else to drama with

i wish you all a safe and wonderous jurney, safe travels and wonderful experienses. to sum that up

---------Namaste---------

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crownme For This Post:

araucaria (25th June 2011)

9. Link to Post #65
    England Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Good & Bad, does it really exist ?

Hey,

I have a somewhat controversial philosophical view on Good and Bad's subjectivity.

To get technical, I would say that the reasons any human will label anything as good or bad is actualy objective, but is based on variable human genetic predispositions and how the enviroment effects behaviour because of this - hence the subjectivity - alow me to explain:

The very basis of all morality does lie in emotional perception.

Compassion is the stem of what we consider to be good comes from.

It all really comes down to Harmony. This point is very important.

Quote noun /ˈhärmənē/ 
    harmonies, plural

1.The combination of simultaneously sounded musical notes to produce chords and chord progressions having a pleasing effect
    - four-part harmony in the barbershop style
    - the note played on the fourth beat anticipates the harmony of the following bar

2.The study or composition of musical harmony

3.The quality of forming a pleasing and consistent whole
    - delightful cities where old and new blend in harmony

4.An arrangement of the four Gospels, or of any parallel narratives, that presents a single continuous narrative text

5.Agreement or concord
    - man and machine in perfect harmony
    (Being someone that scientificaly see's how everything is interconnected, and work the same way as each other: I find it to be no coincedence that harmonious notes are refered to as such because they sound "good" when played together, and non harmonious notes sound "bad". )

Back on topic, an action that promotes the most possitive emotional responces from the most people, will be considered the "good" thing to do. Hence harmonious.

Likewise, an action that promotes the most negative emotional responces from the most people would be considered the "Bad" thing to do. Hence division.

Inside our brain we have something called mirror neurons, when you see something happen to someone else, your brain itself cannot actualy subconciously tell the difference between you and another person. (Ever wondered why you flinch if you see someone else get cut, for example?)

This is what alows us to build a sense of sympathy, comparing what happened to someone else with something that happened to you. We can even go further then this and use our imagination to see what it would be like when something that happens to someone else would feel like to us, even if we have never experienced it before. This is called empathy.

Whenever you perceive anything, basicly, 3 things happen in your brain - a chain of events if you will.

First, you relate it to everything you know/remember -> this creates an emotional responce depending on what we know/remember -> then we create intent and take action (or not) based on the emotional responce.

Well, we all know how what we know or remember is based on our enviroment, eg. someone who is raised in a Christian household in the middle of no where, and is not subject to any other point of veiw, is going to be a Christian - like it or lump it. That's all they will understand metaphysicaly. The same can be said for racism or any form of thought for that matter. It gets alot more complicated when people are subject to opposing views ofcource, and the choice on what to believe will depend on many things: how self-aware one is, if one understand maths and logic, how set in it's ways the brain is, but I don't want to go off on a tangent so we will keep it simple for now.

Using this example of the Christian brought up in the middle of no where, he will always see that which Christianity teachs as Good, as Good. This belief is subjective in the sense that it will oppose what a child abused all his life will see as Good, but it is completely objective in the sense that anyone brought up in exactly the same way will believe exactly the same thing.

God vs. Devil - Good vs. Evil - "Possitive" vs. "Negative" - "Light" vs. "Dark"

They are all the same thing:

Harmony vs Division.

The better someone's understanding of emotions, enviroment, themselves and how they work: the more relevant their understanding of what Good and Bad is will be.

So yes, physicaly, Good and Bad does not exist per se.

It is a label people give things.

But the reasons behind why people hand out these labels is objective, the subjective aspect being their understanding of what is most harmonious.

Harmony and Division, the very basis of Good and Bad, does exist though. They are intristic ways in which nature "express' itself" so to speak. The wiser choice, if you want something to work, is Harmony.

Someone made the point about Dark not existing, it's just the absence of Light and so on. This is an intresting way of looking at it, and I see the benefits of doing so. In this sense we could say that division does not exist per se, it is just the absence of Harmony. Sometimes I think people are too wrapped up in which belief is most probable. I think people should instead start asking themselves which belief is the most beneficial. Because we can never really know anything.

To leave you all with a simple analogy:

Our bodys are made of loads of cells working together in Harmony. There does happen to be an exception where cells start working in discord, becoming divided from the "motives" of the rest. It's what humans call cancer, and I'm sure any sane person would label cancer as "bad", if anything.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4