+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inflation is a pretty bitter pill

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,488 times in 1,724 posts

Default Inflation is a pretty bitter pill

Inflation is a pretty bitter pill for those who did things "Right" and paid their debts / avoided debts. Politically it's a nonstarter, at least as an explicit policy goal. If you want to take a relation of violent extortion, sheer power, and turn it into something moral, and most of all, make it seem like the victims are to blame, you turn it into a relation of debt. Naked Capitalism talks to David Graeber about his book Debt: The First 5,000 Years.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/...d-graeber.html

I might add, if Aristotle were around today, I very much doubt he would think that the distinction between renting yourself or members of your family out to work and selling yourself or members of your family to work was more than a legal nicety. He’d probably conclude that most Americans were, for all intents and purposes, slaves.

Bonus Graeber classic: Are You An Anarchist ? The Answer May Surprise You !

http://theanarchistlibrary.org/HTML/...rise_You_.html

Gaia

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaia For This Post:

Corncrake (28th August 2011), shadowstalker (28th August 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,716 times in 8,943 posts

Default Re: Inflation is a pretty bitter pill

I totally agree with your slaves views Gaia. When we do not have choices, are completely brainwashed and need to thank whomever for the right to live, there is a problem. Corruption is rampant, lies all around and we should still thiink that it is the path to go.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Gaia (28th August 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,488 times in 1,724 posts

Default Re: Inflation is a pretty bitter pill

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    I totally agree with your slaves views Gaia. When we do not have choices, are completely brainwashed and need to thank whomever for the right to live, there is a problem. Corruption is rampant, lies all around and we should still thiink that it is the path to go.
    I do wonder if the banking sector has discreetly encouraged media figures to rail against inflation. After all, economists mostly see moderate inflation as pretty benign, and certainly far better than deflation. But ask an average Joe and he'll say that inflation is the number one threat to the economy after all, his money is worth less ! And it's certainly in the banks' interest to support the Glenn Becks and Ron Pauls of the world who spread this irrational fear...

I am in agreement with Sartre and those guys who opined that most of us are a great deal freer than we commonly imagine ourselves to be.

Kindest regards my dear friend

Gaia

+ Reply to Thread