+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 3 10 LastLast

Thread: Is the moon artificial?

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks

Default Re: Is the moon artificial?

Hollow ? You mean like a giant Ferero Rocher ?? With a soft ganache centre perhaps ?

I too read the 'rang like a bell' comment somewhere, (John Lear?) and subsequently read somewhere else that this was not an accurate quote and it did not happen.

Actually, this was one of the first times I remember thinking to myself, 'how can you believe anything you read?'

Someone says with complete authority that it 'rang like a bell' then someone else says this did not happen.

Personally I agree with operator. If you throw a grain of sand at a BELL even, would it ring like a bell? I doubt it.

Shall we have a bit of fun with maths ? How about volume of a hollow moon, say 100m thick

Vol = 4/3 PI r2 3 - 4/3 PI r1 3 where r1 and r2 are the inner and outer diameters

= 4/3 * 3.14 * 3476 000m 3 - 4/3 * 3.14 * 3475 900 3

= 1.75925 x 10 20 - 1.759099 * 10 20

= 1.518 x 10 16

Now Mass = Volume x Density So.. what shall we make the moon out of ? Iron ? that's 7.86 Kg/m3

So if it was say, a hollow death star space station for example, it would weigh around 100 000 000 000 000 000 kg

Say a round 100 thousand billion tons (UK billions) . And how many tons did the apollo craft weigh ??

So you see, a grain of sand hitting a bell is not far out. You'd need good ears for that one

Note if it was made of cheese.. this figure would reduce to approx 18 thousand billion tons... If it was made out of cardboard, around 8 thousand billion tons

If the skin was only 10 metres thick..this brings it down nicely to 15.18 x 10 15 or 9 thousand billion tons for iron
    Last edited by Kulapops; 1st December 2010 at 16:05.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kulapops For This Post:

morguana (2nd December 2010)

3. Link to Post #42
    Thanks

Hmmm.... no further comments ? I quite enjoyed this little sum...

Is it the prospect of actual maths and actual science that drives away comment?

I know.. unverifiable speculation threads wins out over common sense every time

Well, that and gossip and bickering, those are pretty popular too. Do I need to call someone a name to light a fire on this thread ?

Dale.. I thought you'd be back at least for comment....

Perhaps I could go the other way with my calculations.. if the moon only weighed several hundred tons... or maybe even a thouasand... it would ring... then we could work out how thck the skin would be....

But seeing as the moon is probably a lot heavier, this might explain why this thread is sinking, sinking, sinking

Best wishes...

what exciting news do we next have to peruse ?

4. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

I'm new to this forum (been just browsing for some time) so if this info has already been posted then forgive me, but there are two great books to read along these lines for anyone who might care to check them out (and hasn't already):

- Who Built the Moon?, Christopher Knight/Alan Butler
    - Our Mysterious Space Ship Moon, Don Wilson

5. Link to Post #44
    Thanks

That's one heavy spaceship !

6. Link to Post #45
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Kulapops (here)
    That's one heavy spaceship !
    In more ways than one

7. Link to Post #46
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 times in 239 posts

Quote Posted by Kulapops (here)
    Dale.. I thought you'd be back at least for comment....
    Hello, and I do apologize. No final thoughts from me, as I tend not to be mathematically gifted.

I highly appreciate your contribution of logic and reason to this thread; I had started it a couple months back (nearly forget I started it!) and was hoping to hear a good bit of science from both sides of the spectrum.

I do suppose I can come up with a bit of a final thought.

In my opinion, the moon is not entirely hollow, though it contains many cavernous regions. Much like Mar's moon, Phobos, had been recently shown to have. Throughout recorded history, many interesting reports have surfaced, providing a possibility that activity may be occurring on the lunar surface; though I haven't the slightest on who, or what, may be up there!

8. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

Thanks for returning Dale. I thought I'd try to help you with your research.

I must admit, I hadn't thought about this logically till I read Operator's comment. Thanks Operator. The notion of the moon 'ringing' is highly poetic.. but when you look at the sums.. it's highly improbable

The first FACT that people are unlikely to have in their heads is that the moon is 3476 000 metres in diameter

Any object that size is going to be very heavy , whatever it is. Even if it was a sheet of paper. To construct a spacheship 3 million metres in diameter is probably beyond the desire of most races.

Just thinking what the parking charge is on that thing already ??!!!

K

9. Link to Post #48
    England Avalon Member HURRITT ENYETO's Avatar
    Over the Moon Under the Sun. Manchester UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,333 times in 531 posts

It appears that force equivalent to 11.5 tons of TNT could make the moon "ring like a bell"
    Quote from article below:

It occurred at 8:09 p.m. EST, April 14. The S-IVB struck the Moon with a force equivalent to 11 1/2 tons of TNT. It hit 85 miles west northwest of the site where the Apollo 12 astronauts had set up their seismometer. Scientists on Earth said, "the Moon rang like a bell."
    http://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/pg15.htm

Another interesting piece on the moon:
    http://keelynet.com/unclass/luna.htm

Hurritt
    Last edited by HURRITT ENYETO; 2nd December 2010 at 00:27.
    The Universe at its heart is a Phantom.
    God sleeps in the Minerals, Awakens in Plants, Walks in the Animals and Thinks in Man.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HURRITT ENYETO For This Post:

Fredkc (2nd December 2010), Ross (2nd December 2010)

11. Link to Post #49
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 times in 339 posts

I don't know if the moon is hollow....but it almost certainly shouldn't be there according to known science. Its a mystery.

With regards to the moon "ringing like a bell" that was a figure of speech used by NASA geologists at the time to describe the fact that there were geological tremors from one side of the moon to the next for the few hours after the moon was struck by the satellite. That was strange.

The Moon is the largest satellite in proportion to its host planet in the Solar System (not including Pluto and Charon).

The Sun is around 93 million miles from Earth, the moon a bit under 300 thousand miles--Millions of our moon could fit into the the Sun so different are they in size....and yet the distance is such, that the moon covers the surface of our sun in Eclipse to a degree of perfection that is almost inexplicable.

The moon circles the earth in an almost perfect circle, with very little variation. There is close to no elipse. This is not consistent with a gravitationally "captured" body. That would have to be an elipse. The moon revolves once per orbit around Earth...such that the same side faces this planet at all times. Incredibly strange.

So the explanation our brilliant scientists came up with was that the moon was once part of primordial earth and that some sort of impact broke it free of this planet...and placed this huge chunk into a circular orbit around Earth. That would make sense except that the composition of lunar rocks doesn't seem to match the oldest known rocks on the Earth.

There is much more about how strange our moon is....

My guess: Maybe not a spacecraft but possibly towed into place when this garden/zoo was being set up in the first place.

Just a Theory
    “Someday after mastering winds, waves, tides and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. And then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will discover fire.”
    ~Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hiram For This Post:

HURRITT ENYETO (2nd December 2010)

13. Link to Post #50
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 times in 1,362 posts

Maybe the moon is a giant mothership.

Why do we only ever see one view of it - doesn't it rotate? Maybe I need to do some googling.

The barriers of your belief will form the bars which imprison your mind.

14. Link to Post #51
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,321 times in 10,234 posts

The moon should definitely NOT be facing the earth the way it does. IIRC, the shape and the level of deformation of the planet (moon) rules out a mis-centered mass, which is what it takes to have one side face us, with no rotation. The two things do not agree, whatsoever.

Either the moon is artificial or it was manipulated by someone....to be as it is today.

Besides the potential size matching and gravity lensing effect. Ie, if the moon resonates then the earth does so with it-and vice-versa. Matched resonances.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

rgray222 (14th October 2020), Spellbound (26th October 2018)

16. Link to Post #52
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 times in 339 posts

Quote Posted by Teakai (here)
    Maybe the moon is a giant mothership.

Why do we only ever see one view of it - doesn't it rotate? Maybe I need to do some googling.
    The Moon Does rotate...it just rotates on it's axis one time...perfectly...as it orbits the Earth. Therefore the same side faces the planet Earth at all times. Its difficult to describe verbally but you can mimic it quite easily with a tennis ball.

Carmody is quite correct that there is no current scientific explanation as to how its there at all--no plausible one anyway.
    “Someday after mastering winds, waves, tides and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. And then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will discover fire.”
    ~Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

17. Link to Post #53
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hiram (here)
    The Moon Does rotate...it just rotates on it's axis one time...perfectly...as it orbits the Earth. Therefore the same side faces the planet Earth at all times. Its difficult to describe verbally but you can mimic it quite easily with a tennis ball.

Carmody is quite correct that there is no current scientific explanation as to how its there at all--no plausible one anyway.
    Thanks, Hiram. I can't picture what you're saying, though - I'm going to have to go and find an animation.

18. Link to Post #54
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 times in 414 posts

Quote Posted by Teakai (here)
    Thanks, Hiram. I can't picture what you're saying, though - I'm going to have to go and find an animation.
    Hold a tennis ball, or similar, (a tomatoe or orange would do), in your hand, hold it still and stand still, then, rotate your body with your feet, in a circle. The ball follows your movement but stays still in your hand. This is the rotation that Hiram is talking about.

Ross
    Last edited by Ross; 2nd December 2010 at 04:21.

19. Link to Post #55
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ross (here)
    Hold a tennis ball, or similar, (a tomatoe or orange would do), in your hand, hold it still and stand still, then, rotate your body with your feet, in a circle. The ball follows your movement but stays still in your hand. This is the rotation that Hiram is talking about.

Ross
    Thanks, Ross - but what I don't understand is that if the moon rotates on it's axis, then all sides of it should face the earth at some time during its trip around the earth - shouldn't it?

I do remember that lesson at school - but I didn't get it then either

20. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

glue a string to a ball. Spin the ball, on the string, around your head.

The ball is connected to the string and always has the same side, the string side, facing you. The ball does not 'roll' in the air.

It's the same as cat spinning. When you are hanging on to the cat's tail, spinning it around your head - you are always looking at the cat's ass. (deadpan delivery)
    Last edited by Carmody; 2nd December 2010 at 05:13.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Hiram (3rd December 2010)

22. Link to Post #57
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    glue a string to a ball. Spin the ball, on the string, around your head.

The ball is connected to the string and always has the same side, the string side, facing you. The ball does not 'roll' in the air.

It's the same as cat spinning. When you are hanging on to the cat's tail, spinning it around your head - you are always looking at the cat's ass. (deadpan delivery)
    So then the moon doesn't rotate (or spin) on its axis at all? It just goes around with it's axis in a fixed postion relative to the earth (the string tied from me to the cat) on it's orbit around the earth?

Have I got that right?
    Last edited by Teakai; 2nd December 2010 at 05:30.

23. Link to Post #58
    Thanks

you got it. Nothing we know of does this, except for the moon. That, however, requires that the moon have an offset mass at it's center and overall offset, dictated by it's shape. One that is so offset (from a perfect sphere) that the physical deformation would be notable, yet the moon does not have that required shape, at all.

24. Link to Post #59
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    you got it. Nothing we know of does this, except for the moon. That, however, requires that the moon have an offset mass at it's center and overall offset, dictated by it's shape. One that is so offset (from a perfect sphere) that the physical deformation would be notable, yet the moon does not have that required shape, at all.
    Hmmmmm, so it could be a giant spaceship after all?

And thanks muchly for the astronomy lesson.
    BTW - my cat hates you

25. Link to Post #60
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 times in 414 posts

Quote It's the same as cat spinning. When you are hanging on to the cat's tail, spinning it around your head - you are always looking at the cat's ass. (deadpan deli
    Am I the only one whos laughing...good one!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 3 10 LastLast