+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 4 7 LastLast

Thread: How many avalonians have/own or watch TV ?

1. Link to Post #61
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 times in 254 posts

Default Re: How many avalonians have/own or watch TV ?

We have numerous tvs in the house with hundreds of channels. I don't have a lot of time to watch but I love "The Big Bang" and "Three and a Half Men" and we watch tons of movies. I also eat meat, sugar, processed foods and lots and lots of chocolate. Oh and I love love love Red Bull (especially with vodka)!!

How's that for unenlightened
    Life is what it is. How you perceive it creates your reality.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Carolin For This Post:

<8> (5th September 2011), DoubleHelix (5th September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (5th September 2011), GCS1103 (5th September 2011), ghostrider (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (5th September 2011), mosquito (5th September 2011), pickle (5th September 2011), Poly Hedra (5th September 2011), the trojan (5th September 2011)

3. Link to Post #62
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

I have a TV in the house only ever gets used for a couple of channels on satellite tv for a few hours of a weekend, and thats usually edge media, never bother watching the main channels, i listen to the radio a lot at work as it helps me keep awake on long drives during the night

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dark skies For This Post:

GCS1103 (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (5th September 2011)

5. Link to Post #63
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,739 times in 1,371 posts

Haven't watched TV in years, don't listen to the radio either, it's just as bad. Mind you, I did watch some of the world cup last year. If I had a working TV, I'd watch the rugby world cup, but I'm not sure that it will be screened here in China, might have to find a net source.
    The internet can be pretty bloody awful too, but I mostly use it for email, Avalon, and watching any old comedy TV shows I can find, along with films.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosquito For This Post:

58andfixed (5th September 2011), GCS1103 (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (5th September 2011), modwiz (5th September 2011)

7. Link to Post #64
    United States Avalon Member atlantianferret's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a TV with a PS3. I do not have TV service. It has been 6 years since I have had it. Several have followed this idea and have not had anything bad to say.

You Jones a little at first buts couple of months into it you wonder how you had time to watch it so much.

I keep a TV for entertainment such as movies and games from time to time. The really good part is my daughter is not being raised by the tube.

AF

"Tell me where is fancy bred, Or in the heart or in the head?"

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atlantianferret For This Post:

58andfixed (5th September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (5th September 2011), GCS1103 (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (5th September 2011), modwiz (5th September 2011)

9. Link to Post #65
    Thanks

I own a TV but have no service. Own a radio, but quite dusty as well. When I came to the realization that we were not being told the truth on ALL news channels, and that regular programming was conditioning society, I still was compelled to watch, as if drawn. So I canceled cable TV and have no antenna. Its been 6 months. Best thing I ever did.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennsky For This Post:

58andfixed (5th September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (5th September 2011)

11. Link to Post #66
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

I have a family of four and I do not impose my *vote* on the others.

I can offer "advice" of a parent ... but I am not into a heavy hand.

That said I like watching dvds (I like movies which if patient enough to wait til they come out on dvd cost 1$ to rent instead of the theatres costing over 50$ with treats). I still like watching sports on occasion (but not nearly as much as when I was young).

I held off the flat screens as long as I could (until others broke down) as with the usa gov taking away analog triggered a red light. No doubt what was bad has gotten worse.

BUT ...

Free will includes family members. All I feel comfortable with is giving advice ... for better or worse.

Kudos to those that have done without

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

DoubleHelix (5th September 2011), enfoldedblue (5th September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (5th September 2011), GCS1103 (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (5th September 2011), mosquito (5th September 2011), pickle (5th September 2011), ponda (5th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (5th September 2011)

13. Link to Post #67
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

I have a tv, the weather channel, and the golf channel are the only two stations I watch...there's too much life to live to be sitting watching mind programing commercials.... come on go in debt, your hungry go eat here, this new furniture would look good in your house, come on down and go further in debt.....every now and then you can catch a program between commercials....oh yea it's the same program over and over, just different titles and players....
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (5th September 2011), GCS1103 (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (5th September 2011)

15. Link to Post #68
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,265 times in 2,136 posts

No TV connection to the outside world since the year 1999.
    The TV is connected to a DVD player.
    TV irritates me for some reason.
    I would rather pick out what feels important from the info and disinfo on the internet.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

58andfixed (5th September 2011), Calz (5th September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (5th September 2011), GCS1103 (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (5th September 2011), Mark Aldebaran (5th September 2011), mosquito (5th September 2011), Spirithorse (5th September 2011)

17. Link to Post #69
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

Quote Posted by seantimberwolf (here)
    Hi guys,
    I will openly admit i watch t.v. quite regular,
    Weather it be at my friends or at home if my family have it on, and My girlfriend who is onto this kind of stuff that we all know and love.
    She still gets sucked into the media like a puppet, realty t.v. the soaps i get exposed to it all for at least a few hours a day.
    Now the questions i want to ask you guys are these:

1# do you think this is affecting me
    2# how do you think it is affecting me
    3# should i try and stop this and how can i avoid the media influence

Thanks for your support guys, this is a matter that has been on my mind for some time.
    Kind regards
    Sean
    If you look at it as the ptb's illusion tool to sell you things you don't need, and manipulate your emotions to march at whatever drum beat they want for the day, I think TV would only strengthen and confirm your resolve to do without it whenever possible.... just my opinion. I have no doubt the signal from TV affects your mind/spirit , just stay on guard against the corporations agenda to keep you in a neverending shoppin line...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

GCS1103 (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (5th September 2011), Mark Aldebaran (5th September 2011)

19. Link to Post #70
    United States Avalon Member Ivanhoe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,840 times in 1,861 posts

I watch football, baseball, track and field, golf because I use to participate in those sports and I truly enjoy them.
    I also watch movies (the older the better, especially 30's and 40's stuff) and a few new shows like NCIS.
    I watch some PBS programming also.
    Listen to a lot of "oldies" radio, but my favorite stations are the ones that provide classical music/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivanhoe For This Post:

Lord Sidious (6th September 2011)

21. Link to Post #71
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 times in 432 posts

I've been around computers since 1973.

I purchased my first PC around 1983/4.

I've been on the Internet since 1995-ish.

Around 1993-ish the rules in the house all TV commercials were to be muted out, even if company was visiting.

Since my hubby gave me the boot in March 1999, I've NOT had TV. I've seen a lot of personal relationships flush, and it seemed that at least one of the two involved were heavy TV abusers.

For me the release from TV was a great opener for candle-light evenings & meditation.

I get all my radio shows, audio books, PDF's, documentaries & movies through the Internet -- currently torrents.

I used to share out movies [from 2000 to 2007] using approximately 400+ Gbytes per month, approximately equal amounts out as well as down.

After being cyber-hacked three times in a row, I've mellowed out my file swapping -- mostly documentaries, and a big C2C collection.

I briefly scan about one newspaper per month. My favourite magazine is National Geographic.

My vehicle has a MP3 player which usually has some downloaded talk shows or an audio book in it.

I watch at least two documentaries each day and at least 1 hour of talk show or some audio book.

I'm on the Internet at least 8 hours a day. I'm a big user of Wikipedia.

Most of my browsing is related to financial issues, be they price/time charts, financial reports, financial web-sites, some mechanism for filtering trading activity, or news related items.

I have some 6-8 Terabytes of files off-line, to re-watch subsequently or to share with friends.

A big motivator was the removal of deep degrees of ignorance that I grew up in, deep curiosities of many topics that began with UFO's & crop circles, and to reduce the likelihood of being side-swiped by some burgeoning trend that could be developing in my ignorance of it.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 58andfixed For This Post:

Calz (5th September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (6th September 2011), GCS1103 (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (6th September 2011), mosquito (5th September 2011), norman (5th September 2011), the trojan (5th September 2011)

23. Link to Post #72
    Thanks

Have a tv. Watch movies or my fave - Fashion Police - when I have a quiet evening. But this doesn't occur so often. The kids will watch a bit of tv while I am cooking - usually 'Cars' or a Hayao Miyazaki movie. It's actually safer than having them go freerange, as when 5.30 pm hits, they start climbing up the walls and jumping off stuff and I wouldn't cope with the screams and bruises!
    I listen to classical music when the kids haven't turned the all the dials in myriad directions and lost abc fm.

I put black tourmaline all over the tv (which the kids sometimes try to eat) and all over the wi-fi set up. Not happy about the amount of tv, but it could be worse.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tigressa For This Post:

GCS1103 (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (6th September 2011)

25. Link to Post #73
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,816 times in 1,436 posts

It seems that most people are opting for the internet these days but the threat from corporate giants means that our days of 'internet freedom' may be limited - or are they already?

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

58andfixed (5th September 2011), norman (5th September 2011), pickle (5th September 2011)

27. Link to Post #74
    UK Avalon Member Mark Aldebaran's Avatar
    Thanks

I moved to the US some twenty years ago, and in that time I've been given three TVs.
    It normally goes something like this: "Did you see the game last night?" "No, I don't have a TV."

Word gets around and a couple of days later someone turns up with a 'spare' TV, which I am too polite to refuse.
    First I bought a VCR, then a DVD player (which died about 5 years ago). Let me know if you want a good TV.

I do watch movies (computer drives projector and stereo, great for opera) and keep up with (mainly alternative) news on the computer.
    Mainstream news is a joke. They haven't yet mentioned that the economy is obviously about to walk off a cliff.

On the rare occasions I come across a newspaper (in a diner), I rip out the crossword page and throw the rest.
    "Oh, man. Look at those cavemen go... " David Bowie.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Aldebaran For This Post:

58andfixed (5th September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (6th September 2011), Lord Sidious (6th September 2011)

29. Link to Post #75
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

Jay Wiedner suggests we have been having a remarkably free access to knowledge via the net and that, based on past history, might be shortlived.

Net has many pitfalls and wrong paths to be sure ... but it also has allowed us to information worldwide at lightspeed that (short of telepathy) has been unprecendented in this "cycle".

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

58andfixed (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (6th September 2011), Muzz (5th September 2011), ponda (5th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (5th September 2011)

31. Link to Post #76
    United States Avalon Member ClandestineDisclosure's Avatar
    Thanks

I own a TV. I don't watch it. When it's on, it grates on my nerves. The infernal thing is a sewer pipe in more ways than one.
    I own computers.
    I own Video Production gear and produce / shoot / edit my own stuff...which I post on YouTube and burn to DVD and the occasional BluRay.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ClandestineDisclosure For This Post:

58andfixed (5th September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (6th September 2011), Spirithorse (5th September 2011)

33. Link to Post #77
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

I have a tv but don't watch it much at all, prefer the internet, even that has changed since project avalon. . . just don't get an satisfaction at all. I did hear about the plasma tv's not good..... so nice to be part of a family of like mined people. Senso

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Senso For This Post:

35. Link to Post #78
    United Arab Emirates Avalon Member mahalall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 times in 591 posts

The look on the growling TV licencing man's face is priceless, when he sees you've not got an aerial.

(UK annual TV licence 145.50 don't pay then off to court)

36. The Following User Says Thank You to mahalall For This Post:

37. Link to Post #79
    Ireland Avalon Member Poly Hedra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 times in 349 posts

Great thread, Over the years on and off I've lived for a few years at a time without a TV. Its such a liberating feeling. I always remember going to somebodies house and they'd have the tv on and I would find myself mezmerized by all the pictures and sounds coming from this box that everyone in the room was fixated on.

At the same time I have watched my fair share of rubbish. I have never really owned a tv but I would be in a house share where some one else had a TV.
    I dont own a TV now and I'm certain I never will again. but I did in my last place, when I was living in my own city I moved into an unfurnished house. My mum helped me to move in.
    When she realised I had no TV she said, oh no, what are you going to do? I'll get you a tv, I tried to explain that I was fine, I didnt need one.

Any way a few days later she called with an old TV. Now, to get internet with my provider I automatically got cable TV, in fact you cant get internet without cable tv coming as part of the package.
    I found I would turn on the TV in the morning while I was wakeing up thinking I'll turn it off after an hour. Over the course of about 6 months I got caught up in watching TV again. One week I realised I had watched Jeremy Kyle a few times that week! So I rang the provider and told them I wanted my cable cut off, they offered me 3 months free cable. I was caught off guard with that and I agreed, for a few weeks and realised they had pulled a fast one on me. I rang them back and just said get rid of it now please.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Poly Hedra For This Post:

58andfixed (7th September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (5th September 2011), Lord Sidious (6th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (5th September 2011)

39. Link to Post #80
    Thanks

We have had no TV stations at all in our house for so long my 2 oldest boys 15 & 13 have never seen a television show in our house, I asked the oldest boy if it bothered him when his friends talked about TV shows he has never seen and has no idea of and he said "not at all, from what they describe I don't seem to be missing anything at all"

Scott
    Formerly Known as Aztar
    Spectrum Radio Network co-Host

40. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Post:

58andfixed (7th September 2011), DoubleHelix (5th September 2011), Ernie Nemeth (5th September 2011), Fred259 (15th September 2011), Ineffable Hitchhiker (6th September 2011), Limor Wolf (7th October 2011), Lord Sidious (6th September 2011), Mark Aldebaran (9th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (5th September 2011), Spirithorse (5th September 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 4 7 LastLast