Page 68 of 168 FirstFirst 1 18 58 68 78 118 168 LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 3352

Thread: Sun Stuff: What's up!

1. Link to Post #1341
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

Default Re: Sun Stuff: What's up!

Solar update from spaceweather.com:

Quote M-CLASS SOLAR FLARES: Big sunspot AR1899 is crackling with M-class solar flares. Because the active region is approaching the sun's western limb, however, none of these flares are squarely Earth directed. Geoeffective solar activity is expected remain low this weekend.
    And from SolarHam:

Quote Updated 11/23/2013 @ 13:30 UTC
    Solar Update / M-Flares
    Good morning. Solar activity increased to moderate levels. A pair of low level M-Class flares (M1.1 @ 02:32 UTC, M1.0 @ 12:57 UTC), along with several C-Class flares were observed around new sunspot 1904. The newly numbered active region is located in close proximity to sunspot 1899 in the northwest quadrant. Both regions are rotating towards the west limb and are no longer in a good geoeffective position for Earth directed eruptions. There will remain a chance for moderate solar flares within the next 24 hours. All other visible regions remain stable. Stay tuned to SolarHam.com for the most up to date information.
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

gaiagirl (3rd December 2013), InTheBackground (25th November 2013), panopticon (25th November 2013), Rocky_Shorz (29th November 2013), Sidney (23rd November 2013), Wind (23rd November 2013)

3. Link to Post #1342
    UK Avalon Member loveoneanother's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by loveoneanother (here)
    Can i just throw this one out there because it's a question that keeps rolling around in my mind and i haven't had the time (or the knowledge) to be able to work it out

If today is Saturday November 23rd and comet ISON goes around the Sun on Thursday November 28th, when is the last day, within this timeframe, to be looking at the 'backside' of the Sun for any possible directly Earth-facing sunspots that could rotate round into a directly Earth-facing position ?

Thanks
    (Ok guys, one at a time please )

I spent most of the afternoon yesterday trying to figure out the 'backside' stuff looking for the answer to my own question and i think i've got it now.....yay !

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say (with very little confidence i might add) i think the sunspots that are currently on the Earth-facing disk (plus one more.....1890..... currently approaching the south-east limb) are the sunspots that could come into play if there's any major flaring going on as ISON swings around the Sun.

I think with all the talk of X-flares and grid shutdowns etc, it was a valid question to be asking and i'm satisfied that i now know when and where to be looking on the Sun over the next few days.

I know the regular posters on this thread will be keeping us all updated as and when stuff happens which is great but now and then i can't help myself and i just have to get that ol' crystal-ball out and give it a rub

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to loveoneanother For This Post:

Caren (26th November 2013), InTheBackground (24th November 2013), MorningSong (24th November 2013), panopticon (25th November 2013), Rocky_Shorz (29th November 2013), seleka (24th November 2013), Sidney (24th November 2013), skamandar (24th November 2013), Wind (24th November 2013)

5. Link to Post #1343
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

The Sun now has two south poles!
    By Robert On November 24, 2013 · 5 Comments

Undergoing one of its oddest magnetic reversals on record.

Solar activity is stranger than in a century or more, say solar scientists, with the sun producing barely half the number of sunspots as expected and its magnetic poles oddly out of sync.

Normally, the sun’s magnetic north and south poles change polarity about every 11 years. During the reversal, the sun’s polar magnetic fields weaken, drop to zero, then re-emerge with the opposite polarity.

But in this cycle, the sun’s magnetic poles are out of sync. The sun’s north magnetic pole reversed polarity more than a year ago, giving it the same polarity as the south pole.

“The delay between the two reversals is unusually long,” said solar physicist Karel Schrijver at the Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Center in Palo Alto, Calif.

The polar reversal takes place as the Sun’s magnetic field moves north or south from the equator, eroding the existing pole as it does, explains Todd Hoeksema, a scientist at Stanford University’s Wilcox Solar Observatory.

Phil Scherrer, who works with Mr Hoeksema, said: “The north pole has already changed sign, while the south pole is racing to catch up.

It looks like a complete field reversal could be “no more than three to four months away,” said Mr Hoeksema in early August.

The flip could send “ripple effects” throughout the solar system, causing geomagnetic storms, which, in turn, can cause radio blackouts and interfere with satellites.

Here’s the scoop
    Here’s the scoop, says Dr. E. Kirsten Peters:

The sun has two big cycles of change. First, the number of sunspots – dark regions on the surface of the sun – wax and wane over time. That’s something you may have once learned in science class. But another cycle that’s less well known is that the magnetic poles of the sun swap places, north to south. Both of these changes occur on a cycle of about 11 years.

I recently talked about the sun to Dr. Michael Allen, a colleague of mine in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Washington State University. Allen explained to me that the sun’s magnetic field is in the process of decaying to zero. In the coming weeks it will reorganize itself with north and south poles fully reversed.

What was the north pole of the sun has actually already become a south pole. That means that at the moment the sun has two south poles.
    That configuration “will likely change soon and the poles will be fully reversed,” says Allen.

The changes the sun is going through mean the sun is producing more cosmic rays. That translates into more impressive shows of the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) which you may see lighting up portions of the night sky on clear nights.

Dr. E. Kirsten Peters was trained as a geologist at Princeton and Harvard. Her column is a service of the College of Agricultural, Human and Natural Resource Sciences at Washington State University.

http://highlandstoday.com/list/highl...rays-20130925/

http://news.sky.com/story/1169107/su...n-within-weeks

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...83940409194498

Thanks to Winona Campbell, Ryan Hendrix, Gordon and John Zielinski for these links
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Caren (26th November 2013), InTheBackground (25th November 2013), panopticon (25th November 2013), Rocky_Shorz (29th November 2013), seleka (26th November 2013), Wind (25th November 2013)

7. Link to Post #1344
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,008 times in 2,305 posts

Can i just throw this one out there because it's a question that keeps rolling around in my mind and i haven't had the time (or the knowledge) to be able to work it out

If today is Saturday November 23rd and comet ISON goes around the Sun on Thursday November 28th, when is the last day, within this timeframe, to be looking at the 'backside' of the Sun for any possible directly Earth-facing sunspots that could rotate round into a directly Earth-facing position ?

Thanks
    Hey L1A,

Sorry for the late reply. Maybe this will help.

I don't think there's any hard and fast rule here I'm afraid as it varies with latitude of said observed feature on solar surface.

26.24 days is a full rotation at the equator + Earth's orbital movement.

Try the wiki page on it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_rotation

Also Universe Today had an article on it a while back:

###

Does The Sun Rotate?
    by Fraser Cain. March 13th, 2012

The rotation of the Sun is kind of hard to pin down. That’s because a day on the Sun depends on which part of the Sun you’re talking about. Confused yet? It kept astronomers puzzled for years too. Let’s look at how the rotation of the Sun changes.

A spot on the equator of the Sun takes 24.47 days to rotate around the Sun and return to the same position. Astronomers call this sidereal rotation period, which is different from the synodic period – the amount of time it takes for a spot on the Sun to rotate back to face the Earth. But the Sun’s rotation rate decreases as you approach the poles, so it can actually take 38 days for regions around the poles to rotate once.

The Sun’s rotation is seen by observing sunspots. All sunspots move across the face of the Sun. This motion is part of the general rotation of the Sun on its axis. Observations also indicate that the Sun does not rotate as a solid body, but it spins differentially. That means that it rotates faster at the equator of the Sun and slower at its poles. The gas giants Jupiter and Saturn also have differential rotation.

And so, astronomers have decided to measure the rotation rate of the Sun from an arbitrary position of 26° from the equator; approximately the point where we see most of the sunspots. At this point, it takes 25.38 days to rotate and return to the same spot in space.

Astronomers also know that the interior of the Sun rotated differently than the surface. The inner regions, the core and the radiative zone, rotate together like a solid body. And then the outer layers, the convective zone and photosphere, rotate at a different speed.

The Sun and the entire solar system orbits around the center of the Milky Way galaxy. The average velocity of the solar system is 828,000 km/hr. At that rate it will take about 230 million years to make one complete orbit around the galaxy. The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy. It is believed that it consists of a central bulge, 4 major arms, and several shorter arm segments. The Sun and the rest of our solar system is located near the Orion arm, between two major arms, Perseus and Sagittarius. The diameter of the Milky Way is about 100,000 light years and the Sun is located about 28,000 light-years from the Galactic Center. It has been suggested fairly recently that ours is actually a barred spiral galaxy. That means that instead of a bulge of gas and stars at the center, there is probably a bar of stars crossing the central bulge.

So when someone asks you what the rotation of the Sun is, ask them which part.

Source

###

Hope this helps.

-- Pan

Having re-read the question and your own response, you're already sorted, so I'll buggar off and get some sleep...
    Last edited by panopticon; 25th November 2013 at 14:05.
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Caren (26th November 2013), loveoneanother (26th November 2013), mab777 (25th November 2013), Rocky_Shorz (29th November 2013), seleka (26th November 2013), Wind (26th November 2013)

9. Link to Post #1345
    UK Avalon Member loveoneanother's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by panopticon (here)

Hey L1A,

Sorry for the late reply. Maybe this will help.

-- Pan

Having re-read the question and your own response, you're already sorted, so I'll buggar off and get some sleep...
    Hello Panopticon.....thanks very much for the reply.....it was much appreciated (i was feeling a little isolated there for a minute.....eek! )

I'm reluctant to take advantage of your kindness in replying to me but could you please maybe throw some light on this for me

I've been carrying on with my solar learning and have learned that since November 20th there were 3 x M-class and 31 x C-class flares all located on the western limb ? I haven't got enough knowledge to know whether that's a normal amount of activity or not, it just seems like a lot going on in one area in a short span of time to me. The reason i'm asking is because the solar updates recently have been saying that solar activity has been at low-levels and i'm getting confused. What constitutes high-levels of activity

Any pointers would be much appreciated as always but please don't feel any obligation to reply to me again. You've already helped me more than enough which i'm very happy about
    Last edited by loveoneanother; 26th November 2013 at 03:01.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to loveoneanother For This Post:

Caren (26th November 2013), panopticon (26th November 2013), Rocky_Shorz (29th November 2013), seleka (26th November 2013), skamandar (26th November 2013), Wind (26th November 2013)

11. Link to Post #1346
    Thanks

I've been carrying on with my solar learning and have learned that since November 20th there were 3 x M-class and 31 x C-class flares all located on the western limb ? I haven't got enough knowledge to know whether that's a normal amount of activity or not, it just seems like a lot going on in one area in a short span of time to me. The reason i'm asking is because the solar updates recently have been saying that solar activity has been at low-levels and i'm getting confused. What constitutes high-levels of activity
    I don't know if you've come across the Australian Governments Bureau of Meteorology Space Weather site. It has a heap of information that might be helpful to you in coming to understand the conventional view of what the Sun is and how solar scientists think it works.

There's a page there showing the last 23 solar cycles which might be of help:
    http://www.ips.gov.au/Educational/2/3/1

A site that has a few plots that I like the layout of is:
    http://www.tesis.lebedev.ru/en/sun_flares.html

Use the calendar on the left to go to a day of interest.

As has been said in this thread before it looks like we're in a double peak cycle and while not unusual should be interesting to watch.

The forecasts didn't predict it and just shows how much we don't know about our own star. Check out the sunspot number prediction versus observation on IPS as an example:
    http://www.ips.gov.au/Solar/1/6

Hope that's helpful.

-- Pan

Just as an after thought I'd best give the iSWA link as I forget sometimes:

http://iswa.ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080/IswaSystemWebApp/
    Last edited by panopticon; 26th November 2013 at 10:59.
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

loveoneanother (26th November 2013), Rocky_Shorz (29th November 2013), Sidney (26th November 2013), skamandar (26th November 2013), Wind (26th November 2013)

13. Link to Post #1347
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

We got a bit excited over a month ago when the Sun became active again, but now it is absolutely dead again. Unless we will be seeing more sundiving comets then it means that there won't be much to report.

Last edited by Wind; 26th November 2013 at 16:59.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Caren (26th November 2013), mab777 (26th November 2013), panopticon (26th November 2013), Rocky_Shorz (29th November 2013), seleka (26th November 2013)

15. Link to Post #1348
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,921 times in 4,417 posts

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    We got a bit excited over a month ago when the Sun became active again, but now it is absolutely dead again. Unless we will be seeing more sundiving comets then it means that there wont' be much to report.

YAY, caz I don't need anything messin with my already emotional state these days.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

Rocky_Shorz (29th November 2013), seleka (26th November 2013)

17. Link to Post #1349
    United States Avalon Member seleka's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 times in 295 posts

Quote Posted by Sidney (here)
    We got a bit excited over a month ago when the Sun became active again, but now it is absolutely dead again. Unless we will be seeing more sundiving comets then it means that there wont' be much to report.

YAY, caz I don't need anything messin with my already emotional state these days.

you & me both, sista! I didn't know how much it affected me until it stpped. Fascinating that the sun has 2 south poles.... how is that even possible since like repels like? Seems like it would rip it apart.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seleka For This Post:

Rocky_Shorz (29th November 2013), Sidney (26th November 2013)

19. Link to Post #1350
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,921 times in 4,417 posts

Quote Posted by karika (here)
    Quote Posted by Sidney (here)

you & me both, sista! I didn't know how much it affected me until it stpped. Fascinating that the sun has 2 south poles.... how is that even possible since like repels like? Seems like it would rip it apart.
    I know Right? lol it seems the more info we get, the more questions that arise.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

Rocky_Shorz (29th November 2013)

21. Link to Post #1351
    Thanks

Quote Posted by karika (here)
    Information from 2003 talking about the 2000 event when the Sun had 2 North Poles.
    http://science1.nasa.gov/science-new..._currentsheet/

As part of the solar cycle the Suns poles flip.

-- Pan
    Last edited by panopticon; 27th November 2013 at 07:58.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

mab777 (27th November 2013), Rocky_Shorz (29th November 2013)

23. Link to Post #1352
    Thanks

Look at this!

Coronal Mass Ejection and Comet ISON

A prominence erupted off the southwest limb Tuesday evening and generated a bright coronal mass ejection (CME) that is now visible in the latest LASCO imagery. The plasma cloud appears to be directed to the west and away from Earth. Comet ISON continues to approach the Sun and is now visible in the latest LASCO C3 imagery. More imagery is needed, but it is very possible that a portion of this CME could sweep past the comet. What will happen next? Stay Tuned for updates. Via SolarHam.

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

CD7 (27th November 2013), Conchis (27th November 2013), enfoldedblue (28th November 2013), Heart-2-Heart (27th November 2013), InTheBackground (27th November 2013), mab777 (27th November 2013), Nickolai (27th November 2013), skamandar (28th November 2013)

25. Link to Post #1353
    Thanks

Sun is reacting again... Looks like another CME.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

enfoldedblue (28th November 2013), greybeard (28th November 2013), InTheBackground (28th November 2013), mab777 (28th November 2013), Rocky_Shorz (29th November 2013), Sidney (28th November 2013)

27. Link to Post #1354
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

pretty cool vid of comet ISON on a Thanksgiving diet...

28. Link to Post #1355
    Thanks

Looks like a CME?

Last edited by Wind; 29th November 2013 at 21:34.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Bob (29th November 2013), greybeard (29th November 2013), InTheBackground (30th November 2013), seleka (2nd December 2013), Sidney (30th November 2013)

30. Link to Post #1356
    Thanks

That looks like a big blast!

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

greybeard (30th November 2013), Heart-2-Heart (30th November 2013), InTheBackground (30th November 2013), seleka (2nd December 2013), Sidney (30th November 2013), skamandar (30th November 2013)

32. Link to Post #1357
    Thanks

... And the Sun is smiling.

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

greybeard (30th November 2013), InTheBackground (30th November 2013), Kalamos (30th November 2013), MorningSong (30th November 2013), Rocky_Shorz (30th November 2013), seleka (2nd December 2013), Sidney (30th November 2013), skamandar (3rd December 2013)

34. Link to Post #1358
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

Two Earth-facing sunspots have turned beta-gamma according to spaceweather.com

Quote CHANCE OF FLARES: Earth-facing sunspots AR1907 and AR1908 have 'beta-gamma' magnetic fields that harbor energy for moderately strong flares. NOAA forecasters estimate a 25% chance of M-flares and a 5% chance of X-flares on Nov. 30th.

Sunspots AR1907 and AR1908 have 'beta-gamma' magnetic fields that harbor energy for M-class solar flares. Credit: SDO/HMI
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

greybeard (30th November 2013), panopticon (30th November 2013), Rocky_Shorz (30th November 2013), Wind (30th November 2013)

36. Link to Post #1359
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

... And the Sun is smiling.
    happy to see ISON go... just noticed they had it as pink on the blast chart...

37. Link to Post #1360
    Thanks

Is this a bug?

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

greybeard (3rd December 2013), InTheBackground (4th December 2013), mab777 (3rd December 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 168 FirstFirst 1 18 58 68 78 118 168 LastLast