+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions to make this forum more real.

1. Link to Post #21
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,593 times in 941 posts

Default Re: Suggestions to make this forum more real.

Go on Fox..............say "Thanks" to someone.

It doesn't hurt a bit, and you'll feel better for it!

2. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member Providence's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by fox.mulder (here)
    I’ve been reading forum posts for about a year now on Project Avalon. This latest Elenin fad has really been laughable. We should go back and list all the people who made all these assurances about elenin and post them and their comments and laugh. The guy who was the pilot who flew up to the comet to check it out comes to mind as one of the more funny ones.
    I just want to comment about the tone of your opening comment (in quotes above). Everyone has the right to post information that they feel may be relevant and useful to the members of the forum, even the Elenin posts, and we have the right to decide if it is relevant to us. And whether or not it turns out to be relevant or even it it turns out not to be based in truth, I think it's the wrong attitude for us as members to want to taunt them for their previous posts. This attitude, lack of tolerance and disrespect, is what is damaging the integrity of the forum, not the thanks button.

3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Providence For This Post:

Curt (10th September 2011), Daft Ada (10th September 2011), DoubleHelix (10th September 2011), Elle (10th September 2011), Fred Steeves (10th September 2011), Heyoka_11 (10th September 2011), Ivanhoe (10th September 2011), jagman (10th September 2011), Kage (10th September 2011), Lily de Cuir (10th September 2011), Lord Sidious (10th September 2011), Mandala (10th September 2011)

4. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,484 times in 2,851 posts

I think the diversity of this forum is the most amazing thing about it. The science- based, the spirit-based, those who are seeking and those who think they know, all co-existing, if not uneasily, then at least in relative peace and respect. I've also been an Admin on bb forums and know the difficulty of maintaining such, given the propensity of egos to clash. I wouldn't change a thing here.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Elle (10th September 2011), Fred Steeves (10th September 2011), Heyoka_11 (10th September 2011), OnyxKnight (10th September 2011), pickle (10th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (10th September 2011), sygh (10th September 2011), Syl (10th September 2011), ulli (10th September 2011)

6. Link to Post #24
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,589 times in 355 posts

I didn't say a moderator I said administrator as in I own half the forum. If Moderator was what you meant to say Rahkyt, just for correctness

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daft Ada For This Post:

Robert J. Niewiadomski (10th September 2011)

8. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

No, I meant Admin. I've been a 'half-owner' as well. Also been moderator on multiple forums. My point was that I like Project Avalon Forums exactly for the things that make it a wild and crazy place.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Fred Steeves (10th September 2011), jagman (10th September 2011), OnyxKnight (10th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (10th September 2011)

10. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,548 times in 931 posts

Seriously , killing the thank button wasnt the main theme of the thread.
    An LOL, and an agreement.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OnyxKnight For This Post:

jagman (10th September 2011)

12. Link to Post #27
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Ahh ok so then you really do understand the problems mate, Wouldn't it be wonderful if a formula could be achieved that could please all of the people all of the time. I have given hours of thought to it, but I can't see it's possible simply because of the different views of the people on the forums, one thing can always be guranteed, if you say black someone will say white.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daft Ada For This Post:

jagman (10th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (10th September 2011)

14. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

And that is life ... that is the subjectivity of our interactions, the quantum perception of our difference. Isn't it wonderful? I used to debate and get mad and write long things and quote and go back and forth but experience taught me that its ok and actually wonderful for opinions to exist. I also used to be a university lecturer who thought he was teaching the truth. But if I knew back then what I know now ... I would apologize to all my students in advance for the crap I was hired to indoctrinate them with.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Argos (10th September 2011), Fred Steeves (10th September 2011), jagman (10th September 2011), OnyxKnight (10th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (10th September 2011)

16. Link to Post #29
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

it's the wisdom that comes with age my friend, the world is full of twenty year old experts, I have one calling me a liar in another thread at the moment. truth is i am not often right and mostly I am wrong again, but these days I am more than happy to admit it. I come to these forums to learn. My true knowledge on most of this stuff wouldn't fill a teacup, but I have internal intuition to inform me when something just does not have a ring of truth about it, when I get those warnings I usually just watch and read and allow time to pass and then in time it all becomes clear. Granted, occasionally I am still human and something is so outrageous I just have to speak out, and then of course everyone jumps down my throat, but at my age I really don't care

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daft Ada For This Post:

Elle (10th September 2011), Fred Steeves (10th September 2011), jagman (10th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (10th September 2011), winnasboy (10th September 2011)

18. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,696 times in 822 posts

I’ve been reading forum posts for about a year now on Project Avalon. This latest Elenin fad has really been laughable. We should go back and list all the people who made all these assurances about elenin and post them and their comments and laugh. The guy who was the pilot who flew up to the comet to check it out comes to mind as one of the more funny ones.

Anyway, to make this forum a bit more realistic and to filter out the crap, maybe the following ideas may work,

(1) When someone is interviewed and just gives verbal testimony, we don’t automatically treat what they say as true unless they give us something really physical and beyond reasonable doubt. For example Inelia, Bob Dean and even Bills orb photos could all have been fabricated. Yet the general poster responds as though everything they say is true. This feeds the ego and attracts more nutters to post.

(2) If we remain open, sceptical and respectful to all pure testimonies then we don’t fuel the ego. For example should another Inelia video come out, we watch it, if it is pure word testimony then we should respond like …”hey that was interesting, I’m open to what you are saying, but at this point I am sceptical and won’t add that to my belief folder just yet. Have a nice day.”

(3) If posters have had a personal experience that confirms a testimony then good for them. There is no need to post a testimony confirmation unless you have something real and physical to offer. This is because testimony confirmations can be fabricated as well and also feeds the ego of the original poster.

(4) If posters know that their testimonies will not be automatically believed by readers then there is no ego feeding and should reduce the amount of false testimonies and only leave those of good quality.

(5) Kill the thank post option. This is the ultimate ego trip.
    Hi Fox..

To hang out people to laugh at them, it's the worst idea i heard so far.. Dont take it to hard though, its just coming from me i think..

About:
    Quote The guy who was the pilot who flew up to the comet to check it out
    I never opend that post, because i know when i see it, it's not a post for me. You don't have to click on them either, you know

P.s The only time i wrote about Elenin in a thread "i" did not start. I told people i dont belive in them comets untill they hit me in the head.(more or less)

Much love to you Fox....

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to <8> For This Post:

Fred Steeves (10th September 2011), Heyoka_11 (10th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (10th September 2011)

20. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

lol and that is freedom of a sort. i have a healthy respect for those with that kind of intuition, it is a unique and quite useful gift. i thought i saw you elsewhere stating that you weren't interested in the spiritual side of things, so i suppose in your view intuition and spirituality are two different things ... two different types of knowledge, perhaps? keeping an open mind and wanting to learn is the best way to be ... i try to keep my teachability index high also. trying to be right all the time is just so tiring.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Fred Steeves (10th September 2011), OnyxKnight (10th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (10th September 2011)

22. Link to Post #32
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Well, Yes I did say that, but perhaps a better and more truthful statement would have been that while I do believe in some spiritual things, that's not whet I am here for and I don't want it crammed down my throat at every turn and I really don't think it's the answer to everything. Some people have addopted it like another religion and I have no time for that either. Now having said that, I have nothing whatsoever against anyone who wants to talk spiritualisme all day long, but I would ask that they do it where it is wanted and it's in context of the particular thread.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Daft Ada For This Post:

24. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,548 times in 931 posts

Quote Posted by Daft Ada (here)
    it's the wisdom that comes with age my friend, the world is full of twenty year old experts, I have one calling me a liar in another thread at the moment.
    It doesn't feel nice being offended, does it?

Take the experience and learn.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to OnyxKnight For This Post:

Elle (10th September 2011)

26. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,426 times in 839 posts

Quote Posted by Fred S. (here)

Anyway, that's my two cents. I do agree totally with you that we should not accept things automatically at face value,
    Sooooooooooooo, does that mean your two cents aren't worth a plug nickel?
    Last edited by Orph; 10th September 2011 at 17:40. Reason: What Fred said was funny

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Orph For This Post:

28. Link to Post #35
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

"When there is a division between the observer and the observed there is conflict but when the observer is the observed there is no control, no suppression. The self comes to an end. Duality comes to an end. Conflict comes to an end." Jiddu K.

So... here's a great training ground and challenge for all types of egos (and they're infinites -lot of work to do yet-). lol :D

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elle For This Post:

Fred Steeves (10th September 2011), Lord Sidious (10th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (10th September 2011)

30. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member jagman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,322 times in 1,900 posts

Good post Fox! I think the legitimacy and integrity of Avalon are important issues! And i have to admit
    I enjoy the thanks button lol (uh oh there goes my ego ) But has for more rules I will leave you with a
    Quote from Isaac Newton " nature is pleased with simplicity"

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jagman For This Post:

Fred Steeves (10th September 2011), Heyoka_11 (10th September 2011), Lord Sidious (10th September 2011)

32. Link to Post #37
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 times in 653 posts

me? The thanx button is more like an acknowledgement that I have read the content of the discussion, along with some sort of agreement. It also helps me correlate my own thoughts when the discussion continues... what I've read, what I haven't read, who said what, etc... No gang member thing.

As far as the comet goes, I didn't follow that thread; I did however, read a bit of what "that guy" who claimed he traveled to the comet wrote. I had a good chuckle too. Was thinking while reading -more along the lines of other such friviality I might write like, "Life as a Pocketbook", or "I Roasted Marshmellows with The Ghost of Stalin." Content like that does muck up the real from the surreal tho... point well taken. Yes, there was a comet, ya know? But the comet was no big secret held back by the PTB, or the PTA for that matter.

Live and learn, that's what I say. Can't discern without falling on ur face a few times. A good healthy dose of humble pie never hurt anyone. Takeing ourselves too seriously is just as dangererous as not serious enough.
    Last edited by sygh; 10th September 2011 at 14:50.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sygh For This Post:

Elle (10th September 2011), Fred Steeves (10th September 2011), Heyoka_11 (10th September 2011), jagman (10th September 2011), Lord Sidious (10th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (10th September 2011), Sebastion (10th September 2011)

34. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 times in 516 posts

Anyway, to make this forum a bit more realistic and to filter out the crap, maybe the following ideas may work,

(1) When someone is interviewed and just gives verbal testimony, we don’t automatically treat what they say as true unless they give us something really physical and beyond reasonable doubt. For example Inelia, Bob Dean and even Bills orb photos could all have been fabricated. Yet the general poster responds as though everything they say is true. This feeds the ego and attracts more nutters to post.

(2) If we remain open, sceptical and respectful to all pure testimonies then we don’t fuel the ego. For example should another Inelia video come out, we watch it, if it is pure word testimony then we should respond like …”hey that was interesting, I’m open to what you are saying, but at this point I am sceptical and won’t add that to my belief folder just yet. Have a nice day.”

(3) If posters have had a personal experience that confirms a testimony then good for them. There is no need to post a testimony confirmation unless you have something real and physical to offer. This is because testimony confirmations can be fabricated as well and also feeds the ego of the original poster.

(4) If posters know that their testimonies will not be automatically believed by readers then there is no ego feeding and should reduce the amount of false testimonies and only leave those of good quality.

(5) Kill the thank post option. This is the ultimate ego trip.
    I think this is an Important post you brought up.

We have to be careful not to inhibit or be detrimental to the learning process. The paradox being how to influence a clear and concise process while not setting any sort of requirement to how people reach and understand this process.

To truly establish what you consider more factual and less bias opinion on material is to simply make your threads and allow those who recognize your process to adapt and grow. Anything in the sorts of authority rules over mentoring guidance cripples peoples experience and thus shuts them out in interacting and learning.

As much as we want to see more "appropriate" examples of critical thought, the burden is ultimately on you to set the example and stick with it no matter how much people do not respond and reflect. Its the only way things will change in a favorable view. And people should be attracted to your views.

Effectiveness is the measure of truth. Its not a divide between truth and crap. Its more important to appreciate the interaction. Setting boundaries on interaction is perhaps the greatest fault we can commit when it comes to progress IMO. We all have variant degrees of knowledge to share and its truly a specific process about what we give and take from each other considering we all think differently. Its this ability to think differently that is both the greatest and weakest ability to grow and expand.

You make good points about the ego. But removing the ability to genuinely show appreciation for thoughts because people have the ability to abuse their expressions toward others and create guilt, does not give people any responsibility. Thats whats so great about this forum. People here seem to work hard at being responsible for their words and/or actions. I think it would be sad to take that ability and effort away in an attempt to force good behavior.

Overall your assessment is really mature IMO. I just think we should be careful of not making examples out of anyone and just keep setting them ourselves. Good Manners is a thing about confidence and so its a touchy subject when it comes to forcing it on people. We all react sometimes when trying to truly express our views in a balanced way. General understanding and patience is the best tools over any sort of rules or requirements.

Peace
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to firstlook For This Post:

Elle (10th September 2011), Heyoka_11 (10th September 2011), Lord Sidious (10th September 2011), sygh (10th September 2011)

36. Link to Post #39
    United States Avalon Member ClandestineDisclosure's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Fred S. (here)

When it comes to psychic type things especially, how do physical proofs back up claims?
    Fred
    My thoughts -- exactly. I used to look at people who communicated with - ahem - 'entities' from other dimensions (or what ever one prefers to call them) as crazy people.

Then, when I had psychic event (whatever) with entities, THAT's when my opinion changed. I still think some of them are crazy; so, discernment still plays even after my experiences.

The whole point is that there is nothing physical to show someone that what you're saying is true. I fond myself in a dilemma after my experience. I knew it to be true; but, I also knew that everyone wants proof. After all, who would believe me? Do I share it with others and risk ridicule; or, not?

My hyper-inflated 2 cents

:-)

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ClandestineDisclosure For This Post:

Elle (10th September 2011), Fred Steeves (10th September 2011), Heyoka_11 (10th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (10th September 2011)

38. Link to Post #40
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

"True perfection seems imperfect... but is perfectly itself." Lao Tzu

To thank is a great exercise for our empathic muscle... if it is real of course. Otherwise, done for mere "statistics competition" is just so hilariously silly, nothing more nor less -seeing this from outside- and irrelevant except for those "inside the competition". In my case I thank 'cause I'm incredible lazy to write... but my laziness doesn't affect my 'gratitude muscle', and that thank option helps me to keep it in 'healthy' condition o.O lol (if that makes some sense) :D

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elle For This Post:

Curt (13th September 2011), Fred Steeves (10th September 2011), Heyoka_11 (10th September 2011), Robert J. Niewiadomski (10th September 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast