+ Reply to Thread
Page 2245 of 2703 FirstFirst 1 1245 1745 2145 2195 2235 2245 2255 2295 2345 2703 LastLast
Results 44,881 to 44,900 of 54047

Thread: Here and Now...What's Happening?

1. Link to Post #44881
    Language
    germanic
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,851 times in 3,178 posts

Default Re: Here and Now...What's Happening?

Just watched this movie.
    Touched me in ways i... bathed in tears, still.
    If you haven't seen it, do so. It is... beautiful.

Pssst! Here. All of it.
    Last edited by meeradas; 23rd April 2015 at 08:39.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to meeradas For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Carmody (25th April 2015), Flash (23rd April 2015), Jean-Marie (23rd April 2015), Krist (23rd April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (23rd April 2015), Violet (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

3. Link to Post #44882
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,182 times in 1,657 posts

Beautiful weather (had my coat ready, hey weather man ), faraway sound of a song:

What else?

Solidarity march of all colours in Brussels, mourning the recent wave of victims of the Mediteranean sea.

They are holding symbolic coffins. Simultaneous with EU-member states gathering again in Brussels, now as we speak, to (also) discuss boat refugees problem. Current ideas: sea patrol, internet patrol (apparently tickets for these boats can be booked via Facebook) and several member states accomodating refugees in solidarity with Italy and Greece.

Totally unrelated but recently brought up in the village...Women should be more visible on fora and news sites, so the following article (infra) finds. About 70% of people voicing their opinion online are men. Women are more hesitant (and hence invisible) especially in the stereotype male domains of technology and science. Read more in the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...to-change-that

Closing with the first few lines I picked of from the new Stromae song, not so much a Twitter ad:

L'amour est comme l'oiseau de twitter,
    on est bleu de lui seulement pour 48h.
    D'abord on s’affini ensuite on se follow.
    On en deviens fêler et on fini solo.

I find it hard to translate to English, machines do an even worse job. Need a bit a help with it.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Violet For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Fairy Friend (23rd April 2015), Flash (23rd April 2015), Jean-Marie (23rd April 2015), Krist (23rd April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

5. Link to Post #44883
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,698 times in 8,940 posts

Funny Violet about women and forum. With many women not posting anymore and we were already few here, I felt desolated, like a rare specie. And I do find it difficult at time to post in an entirely male thread for example (although I won't stop myself). The energy is definitely different and ONCE AGAIN (complaining of society here), our/my voices are tiny.

So, I wrote to Bill Ryan for another purpose and also told him about my feelings.

Although this forum here is most probably the most women friendly on the WEB.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Axman (23rd April 2015), Jean-Marie (23rd April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (23rd April 2015), Violet (23rd April 2015)

7. Link to Post #44884
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,171 times in 13,485 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    Funny Violet about women and forum. With many women not posting anymore and we were already few here, I felt desolated, like a rare specie. And I do find it difficult at time to post in an entirely male thread for example (although I won't stop myself). The energy is definitely different and ONCE AGAIN (complaining of society here), our/my voices are tiny.

So, I wrote to Bill Ryan for another purpose and also told him about my feelings.

Women on the whole are more impressionable than men, and unless they had an education where they were taught early to participate in all aspects of life and to question everything it is just not in their nature.

Less so when the corporate world targets them with their huge advertising machine.

So they rely on the guys to do that questioning for them, which leaves them free to carry on with their task of grooming and shopping.

When the world stops enabling dumb women and women step forward on their own accord and start participating in creating a better world we will see the transformation process speed up beyond our wildest dreams.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Axman (23rd April 2015), Jean-Marie (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), Violet (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

9. Link to Post #44885
    Thanks

Quote Posted by meeradas (here)
    Just watched this movie.
    Touched me in ways i... bathed in tears, still.
    If you haven't seen it, do so. It is... beautiful.

Pssst! Here. All of it.
    Thanks for this and it means another memory lane for me. I was friends with a French woman in my London days Hermine Demoriane) who became a tightrope walker, and Philippe had been her teacher. She was a housewife at the time with a young daughter, married to poet Hugo Willians.
    She started out with the wire in her garage, thirty cm (1') above the ground then gradually placed it higher and higher. I watched her perform one Saturday afternoon, above the Camden Lock (dirty water canal) in London, wearing silk chiffon robes which were blowing in the wind, with hundreds of people watching.
    Quite a feat for a housewife with a dream.
    Last edited by ulli; 23rd April 2015 at 13:28.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), JRS (24th April 2015), meeradas (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), Violet (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

11. Link to Post #44886
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ulli (here)

Women on the whole are more impressionable than men, and unless they had an education where they were taught early to participate in all aspects of life and to question everything it is just not in their nature.

Less so when the corporate world targets them with their huge advertising machine.

So they rely on the guys to do that questioning for them, which leaves them free to carry on with their task of grooming and shopping.

When the world stops enabling dumb women and women step forward on their own accord and start participating in creating a better world we will see the transformation process speed up beyond our wildest dreams.

I cannot agree less. Come on Ulli, I have seen so many educated and bright women, in life and the corporate world, who still would shut up in front of the assertive verging on agressive male that I cannot agree with what you say.

The problem is much more complex than this in my views

1. Women have to work twice as hard in the male world to have half the recognition. They get fed up and tired.
    2. Women have to change their innate behavior in order to "produce wealth" in the capitalistic world, because of the male dominance. They get fed up with this.
    3. Women are left with the house chores and the children manufacturing, education and often feeding/clothing/roof (at least part of it), they get very tired.
    4. Women are demanded (not asked, it is an imposition of society) to remain pretty, Young and sexy despite being very tired - if not they are thrown out like old rag (ok guys, not everybody is in that situation, bur it is quite frequent). They are very tired to be considered as merchandise or house slaves.
    5. Women are in a less advantageous economical situation than men (because of child raising and manufacturing and because of 30% less revenue on average for and equivalent job in Canada). So they are not as free in their endeaviours.
    5. Women have learned, through experience, that fighting, trying to achieve, getting better, nurturing, helping, etc. does not pay. So yes, they start relying on often unreliable guys.

And last but not least

6. Women compete with one another, mostly the dumb ones who do not see the value of following smart ones, being dumb to start with. And often women will destroy each other, because of this competition, instead of helping. I am talking here of North America and Europe. I do not know how it is elsewhere. Why do they compete? Because of scarcity: scarcity of Financial well being, scarcity of male respect, scarcity of other women's appreciation, and scarcity of decent males altogether. Many males like dumb women, it is less difficult... in appearance, at first.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Jean-Marie (23rd April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (23rd April 2015), Violet (23rd April 2015)

13. Link to Post #44887
    Thanks

I cannot agree less. Come on Ulli, I have seen so many educated and bright women, in life and the corporate world, who still would shut up in front of the assertive verging on agressive male that I cannot agree with what you say.

The problem is much more complex than this in my views

1. Women have to work twice as hard in the male world to have half the recognition. They get fed up and tired.
    2. Women have to change their innate behavior in order to "produce wealth" in the capitalistic world, because of the male dominance. They get fed up with this.
    3. Women are left with the house chores and the children manufacturing, education and often feeding/clothing/roof (at least part of it), they get very tired.
    4. Women are demanded (not asked, it is an imposition of society) to remain pretty, Young and sexy despite being very tired - if not they are thrown out like old rag (ok guys, not everybody is in that situation, bur it is quite frequent). They are very tired to be considered as merchandise or house slaves.
    5. Women are in a less advantageous economical situation than men (because of child raising and manufacturing and because of 30% less revenue on average for and equivalent job in Canada). So they are not as free in their endeaviours.
    5. Women have learned, through experience, that fighting, trying to achieve, getting better, nurturing, helping, etc. does not pay. So yes, they start relying on often unreliable guys.

And last but not least

6. Women compete with one another, mostly the dumb ones who do not see the value of following smart ones, being dumb to start with. And often women will destroy each other, because of this competition, instead of helping. I am talking here of North America and Europe. I do not know how it is elsewhere. Why do they compete? Because of scarcity: scarcity of Financial well being, scarcity of male respect, scarcity of other women's appreciation, and scarcity of decent males altogether. Many males like dumb women, it is less difficult... in appearance, at first.
    I don't see contradiction here. You just took the ball and ran with it further than I did. And I was making my comments based on observations of the world around me.
    Remember here in Latin America they are just emerging from third world status
    and grooming and shopping is their number one priority once they have spare cash.
    Of course there is also that 10% sector which aims to get higher education.
    I thought in the western countries equal pay had long been legalized.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Flash (23rd April 2015), Jean-Marie (23rd April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), Violet (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

15. Link to Post #44888
    Thanks

Equal pay has been legalised but it ain't happening. I see it daily.

A position is offered, a man is offered X money, the woman much less, and she takes it because she has to feed her kids of because there is nothing else, or.... In fact, the way it is being done is that there is a range of salary, women being offered the bottom end of the range. And presumably having equal pay. And if they want true equal pay based on their education and experience, they can go work elsewhere. The only place equal pay works efficiently is in governments and their subsidiaries.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Fairy Friend (24th April 2015), Jean-Marie (23rd April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (23rd April 2015), Violet (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

17. Link to Post #44889
    Thanks

Jimmy Carter left the Southern Baptist church after sixty years, because of inequality teachings between men and women.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...0v.html?stb=fb

Women and girls have been discriminated against for too long in a twisted interpretation of the word of God.

"I HAVE been a practising Christian all my life and a deacon and Bible teacher for many years. My faith is a source of strength and comfort to me, as religious beliefs are to hundreds of millions of people around the world. So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an unavoidable decision when the convention's leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be "subservient" to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service."
    More at link....
    Last edited by ulli; 23rd April 2015 at 16:05.

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Flash (23rd April 2015), JRS (24th April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), PurpleLama (23rd April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), spiritwind (24th April 2015), Violet (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

19. Link to Post #44890
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,011 times in 106 posts

Here and now... MUSHROOMS!

Lots... of... mushrooms
    Son of Winter and Stars. [ツ]

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mikelodium For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Jean-Marie (24th April 2015), JRS (24th April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Selkie (24th April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (23rd April 2015), Violet (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

21. Link to Post #44891
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Mikelodium (here)
    Lots... of... mushrooms
    Wow! I smell a business opportunity.

<3

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Jean-Marie (24th April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (23rd April 2015), Violet (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

23. Link to Post #44892
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,182 times in 1,657 posts

Equal pay has been legalised but it ain't happening. I see it daily.

A position is offered, a man is offered X money, the woman much less, and she takes it because she has to feed her kids of because there is nothing else, or.... In fact, the way it is being done is that there is a range of salary, women being offered the bottom end of the range. And presumably having equal pay. And if they want true equal pay based on their education and experience, they can go work elsewhere. The only place equal pay works efficiently is in governments and their subsidiaries.
    Same here. Not even sure government has equal pay.

By number 6, it was a R-o-f-l over your list. That whole text came straight from your heart, I can see it in the words. And with Ulli on it, spot on
    Last edited by Violet; 23rd April 2015 at 20:09.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Violet For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Jean-Marie (24th April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

25. Link to Post #44893
    Thanks

I agree with Flash that the burden women carry becomes tiring after a while.
    Something most men don't seem to quite understand, as they willingness to battle it out has no limits.

I believe now that the real culprit behind the human condition is neither a cabal,
    nor reptilians, but testosterone.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Flash (23rd April 2015), Jean-Marie (24th April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

27. Link to Post #44894
    Thanks

I agree with Flash that the burden women carry becomes tiring after a while.
    Something most men don't seem to quite understand, as they willingness to battle it out has no limits.

I believe now that the real culprit behind the human condition is neither a cabal,
    nor reptilians, but testosterone.
    ROLFING here

Conspiracies based on testosterone levels evaluation, would be interesting to measure lol

But.... I love testosterone, at least some of it for sure! That is what our main problem is, women! the appreciation of testosterone.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Jean-Marie (24th April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (24th April 2015)

29. Link to Post #44895
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mikelodium (here)

Lots... of... mushrooms
    I made a mushrooms soup yesterday, completely home made - I had bought a mix of delicious different kinds of dried mushrooms in a big jar. Everybody liked it (Mini, her boyfriend, the boy I keep during the week, me).

Cooking dinner right now, the rest of the soup will be serve too.

Your mushrooms look reaaaalllly good. I would definitely use them if you were to sell them to me as Paula posted idea.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Jean-Marie (24th April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (23rd April 2015)

31. Link to Post #44896
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

No words ... I luv you ladies ... simply want to have a little mirth as I am known to do ...

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Flash (23rd April 2015), Jean-Marie (24th April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (23rd April 2015), Wind (24th April 2015)

33. Link to Post #44897
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 times in 560 posts

I am a women and I have been on this forum for quite some time. I have never had problems posting here even if this is basically a male forum. I just can't get into the male vs female thing anymore, I see we are all people attempting to figure out what the hell is going on here, and this goes beyond gender. The male vs female thing is old paradigm in my opinion and I just will not go there, been their done that let's move on. I see this as a form of whining sorry but I do, let's blame....... and polarize so we can play the victim. The divide and conquer thing just get's a person in a weak position. We all need to see each other as human beings and stop pointing fingers and going past old unfair patterns, I am so over that.
    Let's move on, shall we.
    Last edited by 3(C)+me; 23rd April 2015 at 22:28.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 3(C)+me For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Jean-Marie (24th April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), RunningDeer (23rd April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (23rd April 2015), Wind (24th April 2015)

35. Link to Post #44898
    Thanks

Quote Posted by cccme (here)
    I am a women and I have been on this forum for quite some time. I have never had problems posting here even if this is basically a male forum. I just can't get into the male vs female thing anymore, I see we are all people attempting to figure out what the hell is going on here. The male vs female thing is old paradigm in my opinion and I just will not go there, been their done that let's move on. I see this as a form of whining sorry but I do, let's blame....... and polarize so we can play the victim. The divide and conquer thing just get's a person in a weak position. We all need to see each other as human beings and stop pointing fingers and going past old unfair patterns, I am so over that.
    Let's move on, shall we.
    I know from I first hand experience that the gender duality issue is the fastest way to
    get into trouble on Avalon.
    I promise I won't mention Jimmy Carter again, and why he left his religion.

But since you are the one suggesting to move on, maybe you would also indicate the direction?

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Flash (23rd April 2015), Jean-Marie (24th April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), RunningDeer (24th April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), Wind (24th April 2015)

37. Link to Post #44899
    Thanks

Quote Posted by cccme (here)
    I am a women and I have been on this forum for quite some time. I have never had problems posting here even if this is basically a male forum. I just can't get into the male vs female thing anymore, I see we are all people attempting to figure out what the hell is going on here. The male vs female thing is old paradigm in my opinion and I just will not go there, been their done that let's move on. I see this as a form of whining sorry but I do, let's blame....... and polarize so we can play the victim. The divide and conquer thing just get's a person in a weak position. We all need to see each other as human beings and stop pointing fingers and going past old unfair patterns, I am so over that.
    Let's move on, shall we.
    I agree in principle but do see your post as moralizing us.

Don't you see that while writing about parameters that are still somewhat true on day to day life in America, we were having fun? Humour is the first step of letting go quite often.

Second, I agree, this is an old paradigm. Malheureusement, this paradigm is still vastly used by most of the humans on this planet. Deciding to not mention it ever again will not change the situation, and I must say mentioning it does not do much good either. But. the first changes usually occur through awareness. By seeing what is, just what is, nothing else than what is. Then we can change. Same for racism, same for bullying in school, same for being the bully, same for everything.

So, glad you are so over it. I am happy for you.

in the meatime, I really want to be able to name what is, and having fun doing it (despite the difficult facts) without having a moral lesson on it.

Women bitching at women.
    Last edited by Flash; 23rd April 2015 at 22:36.

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Jean-Marie (24th April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), PurpleLama (24th April 2015), RunningDeer (24th April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (24th April 2015)

39. Link to Post #44900
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 times in 560 posts

Ullie, this was not directed at you or Carter. Some people have to act due to the inequality if they see. But this inequality is systematic. I just can't see how bashing ANYONE is helpful at this time. If your treated unfairly then act on it. Women can be just as mean and dictatorial then men, I have seen it first hand so men do not have the upper hand on manipulative and cunning behavior, both sexes can and do play that game.

40. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 3(C)+me For This Post:

1inMany (24th April 2015), Jean-Marie (24th April 2015), JRS (24th April 2015), meeradas (24th April 2015), RunningDeer (24th April 2015), Sierra (24th April 2015), ulli (23rd April 2015), Wind (24th April 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2245 of 2703 FirstFirst 1 1245 1745 2145 2195 2235 2245 2255 2295 2345 2703 LastLast