+ Reply to Thread
Page 1955 of 2703 FirstFirst 1 955 1455 1855 1905 1945 1955 1965 2005 2055 2455 2703 LastLast
Results 39,081 to 39,100 of 54046

Thread: Here and Now...What's Happening?

1. Link to Post #39081
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,201 times in 1,429 posts

Default Re: Here and Now...What's Happening?

Love Stefan Zweig and his style.

AMOK by Stefan Zweig / Amok Time by Gene Rodenberry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amok_(Stefan_Zweig_book

The first book i've read it from him was The Eyes of My Brother, Forever, 1922 (Original title: Die Augen des ewigen Bruders)

The Royal Game or Chess Story or Chess (Original title: Schachnovelle; Buenos Aires, 1942) – novella written in 1938–41,
    i've never forgotten.

Last edited by dan33; 16th April 2014 at 20:13.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dan33 For This Post:

1inMany (16th April 2014), araucaria (17th April 2014), Carmody (17th April 2014), chocolate (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (16th April 2014), Flash (16th April 2014), meeradas (17th April 2014), Shezbeth (18th April 2014), ulli (17th April 2014), Wind (16th April 2014)

3. Link to Post #39082
    United States Avalon Member 1inMany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,938 times in 2,119 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    Oh, that's right Strat - you're a mechanic. I'll take this to your thread you started on cars a while ago. Thanks!

And, 1inMany, is that really you in your avatar? I love that it is a belly laugh, throw back the head photo - and you kinda look like a young Meryl Streep in that photo.

Dennis
    Yes, Dennis, it's me. Thank you, I love Meryl Streep. M had me laughing pretty hard, and she had her phone out at the same time, and there it was. I have changed so much physically in the past 6 months, apparently corresponding to the many changes inside, that I get tired of looking at the "old" me. Thought I would look at the "new" me for awhile. Which means, y'all get to also. Like it or not. Haha

Much Love,
    Life is a road we don't travel alone. But everyone's on their own journey home.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 1inMany For This Post:

araucaria (17th April 2014), Carmody (17th April 2014), chocolate (17th April 2014), dan33 (22nd April 2014), Dennis Leahy (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (17th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), PurpleLama (16th April 2014), ulli (17th April 2014), Wind (16th April 2014)

5. Link to Post #39083
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

And, 1inMany, is that really you in your avatar? I love that it is a belly laugh, throw back the head photo - and you kinda look like a young Meryl Streep in that photo.
    It is her, but not her hawtness.

6. Link to Post #39084
    United States Avalon Member 1inMany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,938 times in 2,119 posts

Oh, for crying out loud. Hahahahaha

Actually, I didn't need the blush, but I needed the chuckle. Here and now, I'm wound a little tight. Must need a beer. Or ... maybe I need a vacation. Teenage energy is some strong ****.

After explicitly, in a roundabout way, in no uncertain terms, mostly, explaining to a certain someone that I do not want to be having "family" get-togethers, it appears that Little One has been excited to come to see me for Easter this weekend. In other words, somehow word got to him that we are doing a family thing on Saturday. I will not disappoint this child, not after the life he has led already. So Easter it is. But I'm not sure how much more clear I need to be in the future with a certain someone. I thought it would be clear if I said, "No, I don't want to do Easter. And the girls really don't want to go to your house for Easter, it's just too much traveling for a dinner, and they would just rather stay here..." Now he will be here, with everyone else...

Dammit.

How in the heck did I go from here and now, and in my center, to stress? This will not do.

Last edited by 1inMany; 17th April 2014 at 01:27.
    Life is a road we don't travel alone. But everyone's on their own journey home.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 1inMany For This Post:

araucaria (17th April 2014), Carmody (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (17th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), meeradas (17th April 2014), ulli (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

8. Link to Post #39085
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,322 times in 612 posts

I have had dizziness while working tonight !!
    Just like my head was turning a bit....
    It happen 3 times between 19:30 to 20:45 ....
    Is the moon still affecting us today like 2 days ago Ulli ?
    I've read that we are entering in the Great Attractor soon (Source: La Presse Galactique English Traduction: On Blogspot)
    and it is just after I read it that it begins to do it in my head ....

If you check the English link you will see an astrological chart.

Have you heard about it ?
    What do you think ?
    We are one !

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nat_Lee For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), araucaria (17th April 2014), Carmody (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (17th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), meeradas (17th April 2014), ulli (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

10. Link to Post #39086
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by 1inMany (here)
    ... 1inMany, is that really you in your avatar? ...

Dennis
    Yes, Dennis, it's me. ... I get tired of looking at the "old" me. Thought I would look at the "new" me for awhile. Which means, y'all get to also. Like it or not. Haha

Much Love,
    Someone commented in a PM the other day that I look young, and I realize I am still using an image from about 3 years ago - and I now have a beard. I need to get a new picture of me uploaded, now that I'm an old fart. :~)

Dennis

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), araucaria (17th April 2014), Carmody (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (17th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), meeradas (17th April 2014), Nat_Lee (17th April 2014), ulli (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

12. Link to Post #39087
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Interesting how as it evolves – not the interpretation but the actual planetary positions – astrology makes room for us old farts. Leafing through my ‘Hand book’, I see that Neptune conjunct Pluto ‘has not happened to anyone since the 1890s’. I wonder just what Victorian quirkiness was involved here. And Pluto opposition Neptune does not concern any of us, so we are all getting a rest from something else as well. On the other hand, us baby boomers and elders from our fifties on have been/will be running through Pluto sextile, square then trine Neptune, which all sounds pretty mystical and other-worldly. So I guess there are so many of us for a good reason. Maybe we are the people in that Greek cartoon of the politician preaching eleutheria (freedom), while standing on a plank over a cliff edge. The plank is held in place by his audience, who are about to walk away. That picture was worth 39 words, but I can’t find it. Try this one instead (it’s Maundy Thursday after all).

Name:  Greece_the_Bill.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  182.0 KB

This is a messy, imperfect post and Ulli will doubtless have something to add. Thank you to her for that, and to Carmody for putting perfection in its place. Emmanuel Lévinas says, ‘Man’s perfection is his perfectibility’. Dead right he is – and of course dead wrong for summing it up so… perfectly Leonardo was another surprising practitioner. He never finished anything, and for the Last Supper, not only did he famously draw inspiration from the imperfections of the wall surface, he chose the moment when the evening went pear-shaped and the conspiracy theorists set to work.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), Carmody (17th April 2014), Dennis Leahy (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (17th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), ulli (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

14. Link to Post #39088
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    What I'm trying to say with my earlier post (second last) is that you cannot simply buy wisdom by flipping a nickel at it. You have to live it, and that means all it's myriad colors, both the horror and the beauty..... and find your own balance point within.
    More on perfection. Jorge-Luis Borges describes The Invention of Morel, a novella by Adolfo Bioy Casares, as being perfect, i.e. everything in place with no loose ends, both narratively and fictionally. It is the story of how a fugitive on a now desert island discovers that he is witnessing a hologram, with people coming and going who are not actually there, except on a spring tide that triggers the projection. He contrives to get into the technical area, where he manages to put the machine on record in order to insert himself into a scenario chatting up the heroine whose every move and word he knows by heart.

There is of course a gaping hole in all this perfection. This story was written thirty or forty years before video cassette recorders came on the market, and for anyone who has tried to operate one of those, this guy has to throw the mother of all magic switches to get this machine to work, ‘flipping a nickel at it’ if you will. Nothing is ever complete or seamless, as the sculptor Rodin knew well. He liked to show just bits and even the seams from his plaster casts.

Name:  Auguste-Rodin-Meditation-sans-bras-platre_gallery_carroussel.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  11.9 KB

These are not flaws but indications of the technical area, the backshop that makes anything possible. What you see is the result of what you don’t see. In other words, our 3D world is a projection from a higher dimension.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), Dennis Leahy (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (17th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), ulli (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

16. Link to Post #39089
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,159 times in 13,484 posts

Quote Posted by araucaria (here)
    Interesting how as it evolves – not the interpretation but the actual planetary positions – astrology makes room for us old farts. Leafing through my ‘Hand book’, I see that Neptune conjunct Pluto ‘has not happened to anyone since the 1890s’. I wonder just what Victorian quirkiness was involved here. And Pluto opposition Neptune does not concern any of us, so we are all getting a rest from something else as well. On the other hand, us baby boomers and elders from our fifties on have been/will be running through Pluto sextile, square then trine Neptune, which all sounds pretty mystical and other-worldly. So I guess there are so many of us for a good reason. Maybe we are the people in that Greek cartoon of the politician preaching eleutheria (freedom), while standing on a plank over a cliff edge. The plank is held in place by his audience, who are about to walk away. That picture was worth 39 words, but I can’t find it. Try this one instead (it’s Maundy Thursday after all).

This is a messy, imperfect post and Ulli will doubtless have something to add. Thank you to her for that, and to Carmody for putting perfection in its place. Emmanuel Lévinas says, ‘Man’s perfection is his perfectibility’. Dead right he is – and of course dead wrong for summing it up so… perfectly Leonardo was another surprising practitioner. He never finished anything, and for the Last Supper, not only did he famously draw inspiration from the imperfections of the wall surface, he chose the moment when the evening went pear-shaped and the conspiracy theorists set to work.
    I never finish anything either. I have Saturn (obstruction) in Virgo (ultimate details)
    And I'm always being haunted by my imperfections.
    So how is this for putting the dot on the i and crossing the t of your imperfect post??

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), Dennis Leahy (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (17th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

18. Link to Post #39090
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ulli (here)

I never finish anything either. I have Saturn (obstruction) in Virgo (ultimate details)
    So how is this for putting the dot on the i and crossing the t of your imperfect post??
    ... imperfect. I hoped you might tell us something about those transits, never mind

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), Dennis Leahy (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (17th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), ulli (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

20. Link to Post #39091
    Thanks

What I'm trying to say with my earlier post (second last) is that you cannot simply buy wisdom by flipping a nickel at it. You have to live it, and that means all it's myriad colors, both the horror and the beauty..... and find your own balance point within.
    More on perfection. Jorge-Luis Borges describes The Invention of Morel, a novella by Adolfo Bioy Casares, as being perfect, i.e. everything in place with no loose ends, both narratively and fictionally. It is the story of how a fugitive on a now desert island discovers that he is witnessing a hologram, with people coming and going who are not actually there, except on a spring tide that triggers the projection. He contrives to get into the technical area, where he manages to put the machine on record in order to insert himself into a scenario chatting up the heroine whose every move and word he knows by heart.

There is of course a gaping hole in all this perfection. This story was written thirty or forty years before video cassette recorders came on the market, and for anyone who has tried to operate one of those, this guy has to throw the mother of all magic switches to get this machine to work, ‘flipping a nickel at it’ if you will. Nothing is ever complete or seamless, as the sculptor Rodin knew well. He liked to show just bits and even the seams from his plaster casts.

These are not flaws but indications of the technical area, the backshop that makes anything possible. What you see is the result of what you don’t see. In other words, our 3D world is a projection from a higher dimension.

Ok, here is a bit of perfection for you. At least for those who believe me.
    In November of 1974 I was in New York and had my first taste of what it felt like to be celebrated.
    And I could not face returning to my office in London. So I changed my ticket and booked a one week stay
    in what was then the Miramar Beach hotel in Barbados. While waiting for my flight at JFK I bought several books,
    And the one I opened as soon as I had fastened my seatbelt was Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle.
    And while anticipating my one week trip to a tiny island called Barbados (a trip which turned out to become the ultimate life changer) I was reading the first page of Cat's Cradle which was about a guy sitting on a tiny plane headed to the tiny island of San Lorenzo.
    And my London favorite eatery had also been called San Lorenzo, an Italian restaurant in a tiny street called Beauchamp Place, where I ended up (7 years later) renting a shop just two doors away, and which I closed it down in 1982 to move all of my life and possessions to 'my island in the sun' (yes, that song by Harry Belafonte was also about Barbados) only to discover that even the later parts of the Vonnegut novel matched my three D reality...the frozen years, before getting rescued by my Costa Rican prince.
    And thus began a regular pattern of sitting on planes and discovering parallels and syncronicities between real life and fiction.
    It doesn't get more perfect than that.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), araucaria (17th April 2014), Dennis Leahy (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (17th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), Kalamos (17th April 2014), Playdo of Ataraxas (17th April 2014), Snowflower (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

22. Link to Post #39092
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ulli (here)

... imperfect. I hoped you might tell us something about those transits, never mind
    Oh, you mean Neptune sextile Pluto? I have one, as do all my contemporaries. Mine is exact, Pluto at 15' Leo, and Neptune at 15' Libra, _perfect_ 60' angle.
    And when Pluto had moved on 60', it hit my natal Neptune when I was in my mid-twenties, opening a stargate which gave me a vision of what I am doing now...writing imperfectly about the perfect cosmic mathematics.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), Dennis Leahy (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (17th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

24. Link to Post #39093
    Thanks

Just to distract a bit....1902 photo by Edward Steichen of Rodin's 'the Thinker'.
    There was once an Avalon member who used this sculpture as his avatar.

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), araucaria (17th April 2014), dan33 (20th April 2014), Dennis Leahy (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (17th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), Snowflower (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

26. Link to Post #39094
    Thanks

You wouldn’t catch me doing any thinking with my right elbow on my left knee – pretty excruciating. G.B. Shaw adopted this pose in the nude for a photograph that Rodin used for his bust. But then, I don’t seem to recall any of Shaw’s thinking either

Neptune sextile Pluto: ‘During this time many aspects of the life you have known will pass out of existence, leaving you in a position to make a new start at a new level’. Sounds about right for a birth chart.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), dan33 (22nd April 2014), Dennis Leahy (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (17th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), ulli (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

28. Link to Post #39095
    Thanks

Wanted to share this nice little busy beaver movie, to give everyone inspiration for rebuilding their comfy nests.
    Last edited by ulli; 17th April 2014 at 11:13.

29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), araucaria (17th April 2014), dan33 (23rd April 2014), Dennis Leahy (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (18th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), genevieve (17th April 2014), Snowflower (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

30. Link to Post #39096
    Thanks

Oh, and this one is for all those perfectionists still running loose on the planet

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), araucaria (17th April 2014), Dennis Leahy (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (18th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), Shezbeth (18th April 2014), Snowflower (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

32. Link to Post #39097
    Thanks

...and one last suggestion:

for Americans who like organic food and want to make retirement plans...
    Think Russia.

http://rt.com/news/russia-import-gmo-products-621/

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

1inMany (17th April 2014), dan33 (23rd April 2014), Dennis Leahy (17th April 2014), eaglespirit (18th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), Snowflower (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

34. Link to Post #39098
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,169 times in 1,448 posts

Source: Watch on Vimeo

Richard is the fascinating story of a travelling piano tuner who chooses to live outdoors. Shot in London, the film takes an alternative look at someone who treats the entire city as a home. Richard is part of the film series 'England Your England'.

Hope all is well.
    Last edited by chocolate; 17th April 2014 at 13:34.

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chocolate For This Post:

1inMany (18th April 2014), araucaria (17th April 2014), dan33 (23rd April 2014), eaglespirit (18th April 2014), Flash (18th April 2014), genevieve (17th April 2014), meeradas (17th April 2014), Nat_Lee (21st April 2014), ulli (17th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

36. Link to Post #39099
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,316 times in 10,234 posts

Piano tuners are a different breed. It's about how they have to hear, what they have to hear, and to do it by ear. I've never met a 'normal' piano tuner.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

1inMany (18th April 2014), araucaria (17th April 2014), dan33 (23rd April 2014), eaglespirit (18th April 2014), Flash (19th April 2014), PurpleLama (17th April 2014), ulli (18th April 2014), Wind (17th April 2014)

38. Link to Post #39100
    Thanks

Piano tuners are a different breed. It's about how they have to hear, what they have to hear, and to do it by ear. I've never met a 'normal' piano tuner.
    Yes, and what they don't have to hear. They're listening to intervals, measuring the silence.

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

1inMany (18th April 2014), Carmody (18th April 2014), dan33 (23rd April 2014), eaglespirit (18th April 2014), Flash (19th April 2014), ulli (18th April 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1955 of 2703 FirstFirst 1 955 1455 1855 1905 1945 1955 1965 2005 2055 2455 2703 LastLast