+ Reply to Thread
Page 2332 of 2703 FirstFirst 1 1332 1832 2232 2282 2322 2332 2342 2382 2432 2703 LastLast
Results 46,621 to 46,640 of 54050

Thread: Here and Now...What's Happening?

1. Link to Post #46621
    United States Avalon Member Elainie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,549 times in 787 posts

Default Re: Here and Now...What's Happening?

Quote Posted by Calz (here)
    Quote Posted by Elainie (here)

NDE's ( I'e had one, my oldest daughter has had one) are a different story.
    I have not had a NDE so I simply have to go on what so many others testify to.

I mentioned it was one of (perhaps *the*) favorite topic of mine over many years.

I expect the biggest reason the topic was so appealing to me for so long is that it brought home the idea that life goes on.

Once you reach the point of realizing there is no reason to fear death ... you become empowered to approach your current life much differently.

.... then came the "don't go into the white light" ... stuff (documented in various threads here).

Perhaps it is no more than once you have grown into learning something it is merely time for your next challenge???

I don't know.

Anyway ... I didn't wish to back myself into a corner of debunking a long held personal belief. I continue to try to remain open minded to everything yet no longer offering complete belief in anything (or anyone).

NDE was first popularized with Dannion Brinkley. Don't think he was the first to bring it to public awareness but rather the first to really move the concept to mainstream.

He experienced 3 NDE's.

From memory only, his 3rd experience was different than the first two and he was quite troubled about what had happened. I don't remember the source of that and so I started to see what I could find.

This interview (going back about 3 years now) was after his 3rd NDE but I have yet to find where the idea of his negative experience on the 3rd time came from.

Interesting enough to share here (and now) though.

Perhaps lumping NDE together with all "new age" is not correct ... perhaps this is outside that which has been "created" or "promoted" by the Vatican/Jesuit claim???

I was a little girl when I saw my first movie on NDE's. I believe it was called Life After Life~ Raymond Moody . My oldest had an NDE when she was 3.5 years old (1994). She remembers it clearly. I had one in 1997 and afterwards read everything I could put my hands on about NDE's. Dannion B's books were a great resource for me (also my husband at the time, his ex became friends with Dannion). There were some similarities to Dannion's experiences (what I call the gatekeepers, tall blonde Nordic beings) that I found interesting. My experience was not fearful, I was not taken to a light, I was in a tunnel though and met with this being. That evening when I was alive and well, I received a visit from this being as well. It's a fascinating subject, I don't have concrete beliefs about, including the light "trap". I like to gather data from various sources and compare. Right now I work with people who have gone the ibogaine route for addictions and it's fascinating to hear some of what they report. It's also very unsettling because many have described what sounds like a soul recycling unit.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Calz (7th October 2015), Caren (9th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Jean-Marie (8th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), RunningDeer (7th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), ulli (7th October 2015)

3. Link to Post #46622
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,265 times in 2,136 posts

During a dream, I was wandering around, probably off planet, just exploring. Finding an open door, I walked trough. Immediately the door closed, a loud buzzing noise started and I was surrounded by what appeared to be small robots or greys. Was this my interpretation of the light trap (and memory erasure process)?

Realizing I had stepped into a trap, I sent a call for help to ET friends. No help arrived. When I called upon my own power to escape the trap, I was immediately set free.

Years later I heard stories about the light trap.

When croaking time is here, I plan to not rush into the light, but maintain a strong intent to return home to Source.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 7th October 2015 at 19:29.

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

animovado (7th October 2015), Calz (7th October 2015), Caren (9th October 2015), Elainie (7th October 2015), fourty-two (8th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Jean-Marie (8th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), Meggings (7th October 2015), RunningDeer (7th October 2015), Selkie (7th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), transiten (7th October 2015), ulli (7th October 2015), WildOrchid (7th October 2015)

5. Link to Post #46623
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

It's also very unsettling because many have described what sounds like a soul recycling unit.

Not sure how appropriate it is to suggest in this thread but Shane (the Ruiner) has said that was Draco technology which has now been removed???

Perhaps, as many have long suggested, this time period (end of the (or one of the) cycles) things will be dramatically different very soon?

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

dan33 (7th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Jean-Marie (8th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), Ron Mauer Sr (7th October 2015), RunningDeer (7th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), ulli (7th October 2015)

7. Link to Post #46624
    United States Avalon Member Elainie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,549 times in 787 posts

Quote Posted by Calz (here)

It's also very unsettling because many have described what sounds like a soul recycling unit.

Not sure how appropriate it is to suggest in this thread but Shane (the Ruiner) has said that was Draco technology which has now been removed???

Perhaps, as many have long suggested, this time period (end of the (or one of the) cycles) things will be dramatically different very soon?

Well for starters one would need to have a belief in Dracos as ruling overlords to buy into that particular belief system.

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Calz (7th October 2015), Carmody (7th October 2015), dan33 (7th October 2015), fourty-two (8th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Jean-Marie (8th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), RunningDeer (7th October 2015), Selkie (7th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), transiten (7th October 2015), ulli (7th October 2015)

9. Link to Post #46625
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,201 times in 1,429 posts

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dan33 For This Post:

Calz (7th October 2015), Caren (9th October 2015), Curt (7th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Jean-Marie (8th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), RunningDeer (7th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), transiten (8th October 2015), ulli (7th October 2015)

11. Link to Post #46626
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

This just for fun (unless it actually happens):

Quote Thanks to ''Back To The Future, Part II,'' we know the Cubs will win this year's World Series.
    The Chicago Cubs (baseball team for those around the world) ... have not won a world series championship since 1908.

The are into the playoffs this year (starting tonight).

What would be the odds of the movie prediction actually coming true???

So many people talk this and that about the illooneys putting hints about the future into movies ... do they control sports too???

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

Carmody (7th October 2015), Curt (7th October 2015), dan33 (8th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Jean-Marie (8th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), PurpleLama (10th October 2015), RunningDeer (7th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), ulli (7th October 2015)

13. Link to Post #46627
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,321 times in 10,234 posts

More than anything, it would be a case of the collective steering into an expected moment.

Us steering our future to that moment, as we had been infected with the idea of arriving there.

Holographic universe, with no time, all time is happening at once, etc. It is based on intelligence as self reflective information patterns and flows.

Don't give power to those who hide yours from you so they can get you to believe it is theirs.

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    Define real.

Define reality.

Good luck with that.

Gets right back to the idea of all is now on a 2D timeless field....history is sensation, recollection, artifact and artifice, it is all we 'measure' ..as scientists cannot measure 'now', no matter how they try. It cannot be done. all measurement is historical, all recollection, all memory, all act as reaction, is historical....there is no now, as everything contains a component of the now 'fulcrum 2d sheet pairing/moment'.

And thus projection...... is future.

It's a 2D timeless quantum field/sheet, all connected, where micro differential is the entire manifold system. Intelligence and information, no difference.

It is not a simulacrum, in that sense, no. It simply is what is, in this space and place, in this view. since we all project reality, our future, from analysis of all that is history, in this giant 2D quantum differential sheet of now, what you believe is real, what you project is real. Due to coupling effects, some modicum of regularity is available, in the fabric of intelligence and in the geometry of angular vibrations and their couplings - that we call elements.

Time, space, gravity, all easy concepts. etc. Remember how much energy is said occupies one light bulb sized volume of empty space. Enough to boil the earth's oceans. Infinitesimally small differentials in the 'atoms', or in this case, prima-matter, dark matter, and so on..... this defines space-time and gravity, atomic lattice structure, etc.

We (our idea of reality) are a resonant bubble of dimensional leakage coming off the 2D dimensional dual vortex (in/out) fulcrum point in each atomic particle.

This, of course, directly leads to the understanding that we are a mirror of ....an angle of...a sub resonance of...an uber/meta resonance of.... we are analogous to.......to......!..other dimensions, other energetic patterns.
    Again, reality is a differential, it is not a singular absolute. One vs other, all relative.

No absolutes.

This was just stated to be the situation:

Perfectly accurate clocks turn out to be impossible

Quote Can the passage of time be measured precisely, always and everywhere? The answer will upset many watchmakers. A team of physicists from the universities of Warsaw and Nottingham have just shown that when we are dealing with very large accelerations, no clock will actually be able to show the real passage of time, known as "proper time".

The ideal clock is merely a convenient fiction, as theorists from the University of Warsaw (UW) and University of Nottingham (UN) have shown. In a study published in the journal Classical and Quantum Gravity they demonstrate that in systems moving with enormous accelerations, building a clock that would precisely measure the passage of time is impossible for fundamental reasons.

"In both theories of relativity, special and general, it is tacitly assumed that it is always possible to construct an ideal clock - one that will accurately measure the time elapsed in the system, regardless of whether the system is at rest, moving at a uniform speed, or accelerating. It turns out, however, that when we talk about really fast accelerations, this postulate simply cannot apply," says Dr. Andrzej Dragan from the Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw.

The simplest clocks are unstable elementary particles, for example muons (particles with similar properties to electrons but 200 times more massive). Usually, muons decay into an electron, muon neutrino, and an electron antineutrino. By measuring the decay times and averaging the results for muons moving slowly and those moving at nearly the speed of light, we can observe the famous slowing down of the passage of time: the faster the muons are moving, the less likely the experimenter is to see them decay. Velocity therefore affects the clocks' observed tempo.

What about acceleration? Experiments were performed at CERN in the late 1970s, measuring the decay time of muons undergoing circular motion accelerations even as great as billions of billions of times the acceleration of Earth's gravity (10^18 g). Such acceleration was found to have no impact on the disintegration times.

The Polish-British group of theorists from the universities of Warsaw and Nottingham, on the other hand, were looking at the description of unstable particles moving in accelerating motion in a straight line. The key point for their analysis turned out to be a fascinating effect predicted in 1976 by the Canadian physicist William Unruh.

"Contrary to intuition, the concept of a particle is not completely independent of the observer. We all know the Doppler Effect, for example, which causes a photon emitted by a moving source to appear bluer to an observer toward which the source is approaching, but redder to one it is receding from. The Unruh effect is somewhat similar, except that the results are more spectacular: in an certain area of space, a non-accelerating observer sees a quantum field vacuum, whereas an accelerating observer sees many particles," explains Dr. Dragan.

The equation describing the Unruh effect says that the number of particles visible within a quantum field varies depending on the acceleration experienced by an observer: the greater the acceleration, the more of them there are. These non-inertial effects may be due to the movement of the observer, but their source can also be a gravitational field. Interestingly, the Unruh effect is very akin to the famous Hawking radiation emitted by black holes.

The unstable particles which the physicists from the universities of Warsaw and Nottingham treated as a fundamental clocks in their analysis decay as a result of interactions with other quantum fields. The theory says that if such a particle remains in a space filled with a vacuum it decays at a different pace than when in the vicinity of many other particles interacting with it. Thus if in a system of extreme acceleration more particles can be seen as a result of the Unruh effect, the average decay times of particles such as muons should change.

"Our calculations showed that above certain very large accelerations there simply must be time disorders in the decay of elementary particles. And if the disturbances affect fundamental clocks such as muons, then any other device built on the principles of quantum field theory will also be disrupted. Therefore, perfectly precise measurements of proper time are no longer possible. This fact has further consequences, because losing the ability to accurately measure the passage of time also means problems with the measurements of distance," explains Dr. Dragan.

Until now it has been assumed that the concepts of time and space may lose their traditional senses only when certain phenomena predicted by hypothetical theories of quantum gravity begin to play a vital role. It is believed that the necessary conditions prevailed in the vicinity of the Big Bang.

"In our paper, we show that for problems with the measurements of space-time to arise, such extreme conditions are not needed at all. Time, and therefore space, most likely cease to be accurately measurable even in today's Universe, provided that we try to carry out the measurements in systems moving with great acceleration," notes Dr. Dragan.

The results from the physicists from Warsaw and Nottingham mean that at sufficiently high accelerations, the operational capabilities of any theory built on the notion of time, and thus also space, will be disrupted. This raises interesting questions. If in extremely accelerating systems we cannot build a clock that measures time accurately, is this exclusively a fundamental flaw in our measurement methods? Or maybe something is happening directly to time itself? And do properties which cannot be measured accurately even make physical sense?

Modern accelerators can accelerate particles with accelerations several orders of magnitude higher than in the experiments of the 70s. Thus today we can carry out experiments in which the Unruh effect should be visible - and so changes in the decay time of particles triggered by acceleration should be observable, too. The conclusions of the Polish-British group of physicists on ideal clocks will thus soon be verified.

"If our predictions are confirmed experimentally, many things related to our understanding of space-time, the passage of time, and its measurement methods will have to be rethought from scratch. It could be... interesting," concludes Dr. Dragan with a smile.
    Last edited by Carmody; 8th October 2015 at 10:34.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

14. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

araucaria (8th October 2015), Calz (8th October 2015), dan33 (8th October 2015), fourty-two (8th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Jean-Marie (8th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), moekatz (8th October 2015), PurpleLama (10th October 2015), RunningDeer (7th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), skyflower (8th October 2015), ThePythonicCow (8th October 2015), ulli (7th October 2015)

15. Link to Post #46628
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,075 times in 1,638 posts

I have read many books like Raymond Moodys about NDE and memories from earlier lifetimes.

I instinctively avoided the "Don't go into the white light" thread, can't prove anything but I trust my teachers from the mediumcourse who help displaced spirits go into the light.

There's a TV-program "The Unknown" in Sweden where spirits that still are hovering in our dimension disturbing pples daily life in more or less dramatic ways, are lovingly guided to the "other side" and asked to go "into the light". Then again some spirits are just loving family memebers who are allowed to visit now and then.
    Last edited by transiten; 10th October 2015 at 17:43.

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to transiten For This Post:

araucaria (9th October 2015), Calz (8th October 2015), Caren (9th October 2015), dan33 (8th October 2015), Elainie (8th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), Ron Mauer Sr (8th October 2015), RunningDeer (8th October 2015), Shannon (10th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), ulli (8th October 2015), Wind (9th October 2015)

17. Link to Post #46629
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,173 times in 13,485 posts

Our Internet modem is faulty and has smoke coming out of it, so for now tethered to my cell phone.
    Both my MacBook Air also gave up the ghost in recent weeks. The newer one lost the hard drive, and the older one lost a few keys to function, including the back space. Both have battery issues, but here in Costa Rica the local Apple service rip us off to the tune of 150% above the U.S. prices so I always intended to use EBay and find a local Apple service guy, but never succeeded.
    My current planet transit is still Uranus square sun, so none of this comes as a surprise.
    I guess I will just have to fork out and pay Apple whatever they ask me.

18. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

araucaria (9th October 2015), Calz (8th October 2015), Caren (9th October 2015), dan33 (8th October 2015), Dennis Leahy (8th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), RunningDeer (8th October 2015), Selkie (8th October 2015), Shannon (10th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), transiten (8th October 2015)

19. Link to Post #46630
    Thanks

20. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

araucaria (9th October 2015), Calz (8th October 2015), Curt (8th October 2015), dan33 (8th October 2015), Dennis Leahy (8th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), moekatz (8th October 2015), RunningDeer (8th October 2015), Selkie (8th October 2015), Shannon (8th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), tessfreq (9th October 2015), transiten (8th October 2015)

21. Link to Post #46631
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ulli (here)
    Our Internet modem is faulty and has smoke coming out of it, so for now tethered to my cell phone.
    Both my MacBook Air also gave up the ghost in recent weeks. The newer one lost the hard drive, and the older one lost a few keys to function, including the back space. Both have battery issues, but here in Costa Rica the local Apple service rip us off to the tune of 150% above the U.S. prices so I always intended to use EBay and find a local Apple service guy, but never succeeded.
    My current planet transit is still Uranus square sun, so none of this comes as a surprise.
    The technician came and installed a new modem/router.
    But we still have no Internet other than the phone, as coincidentally a fiber optic cable on the Atlantic side of Costa Rica is faulty since last night and the entire eastern half of the country is currently without Internet.
    What I don't understand is why that made our modem short-circuit and nearly burst into flames.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Caren (9th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), RunningDeer (8th October 2015), Selkie (8th October 2015), Shannon (8th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015)

23. Link to Post #46632
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,601 times in 1,987 posts

The technician came and installed a new modem/router.
    But we still have no Internet other than the phone, as coincidentally a fiber optic cable on the Atlantic side of Costa Rica is faulty since last night and the entire eastern half of the country is currently without Internet.
    What I don't understand is why that made our modem short-circuit and nearly burst into flames.
    Maybe there was a power spike of some kind? What I'm thinking is a burst of pizo-electricity from the earth.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

araucaria (9th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), RunningDeer (8th October 2015), Shannon (8th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), ulli (10th October 2015)

25. Link to Post #46633
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 times in 220 posts

The other day, I was having lunch with an old friend I haven't seen for many years.
    The conversation drifted to a UFO sighting I had while out with her and another friend many years back. I mentioned about the strange light when it happened, many years ago, and they just brushed it off laughing back then. The other friend assured me it was a satellite falling out of orbit.

I told this friend during lunch, that I was dead serious, that it couldn't have been a satellite because it flew up in the blink of an eye.
    She was shocked to hear this from me, and asked me if I believed there was life out there.

I told her of course, because it would be insane that we would be the only intelligent life in an universe as vast as ours.

She told me that I was talking scary talk, and wanted me to stop.

It hit me then, why we don't have full blown official disclosure. I saw the face of the sleeping populace.

Maybe this slow leak style is actually a merciful method.

26. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to skyflower For This Post:

araucaria (9th October 2015), Caren (9th October 2015), dan33 (10th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), M-Albion-3D (9th October 2015), Ron Mauer Sr (9th October 2015), RunningDeer (8th October 2015), Selkie (8th October 2015), Shannon (8th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), ulli (8th October 2015)

27. Link to Post #46634
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

To my surprise, I recognized a graphic I made on the YouTube sidebar. Lily Earthling sent my chart along to the interviewer rather than post a photo of herself.

28. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

araucaria (9th October 2015), dan33 (10th October 2015), Dennis Leahy (9th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), Limor Wolf (9th October 2015), Selkie (8th October 2015), Shannon (8th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), skyflower (8th October 2015), ulli (8th October 2015)

29. Link to Post #46635
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    To my surprise, I recognized a graphic I made on the YouTube sidebar. Lily Earthling sent my chart along to the interviewer rather than post a photo of herself.

Were you given credit? You should have been, just for the sake of correctness, even if you don't care one way or the other.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

dan33 (10th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), RunningDeer (8th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), skyflower (9th October 2015), ulli (8th October 2015)

31. Link to Post #46636
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Selkie (here)
    Were you given credit? You should have been, just for the sake of correctness, even if you don't care one way or the other.
    She doesn't know me. I only posted on Avalon and suggested anyone that wanted a copy to drag it to their desktop. There's an updated version she hasn't seen. It's her material. It was hard for me to see it and I figured it was the same for others. (original below) Half of her graphics are hand written and hard to see. For some, the presentation may interfere with her message.

Last edited by RunningDeer; 9th October 2015 at 12:56.

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

dan33 (10th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), Selkie (8th October 2015), Shannon (8th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), skyflower (9th October 2015), ulli (8th October 2015)

33. Link to Post #46637
    Thanks

Ah, I see...thanks for the clarification

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

dan33 (10th October 2015), RunningDeer (8th October 2015), Shannon (8th October 2015), ulli (8th October 2015)

35. Link to Post #46638
    United States Moderator (on Sabbatical) Shannon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 times in 1,211 posts

Hey I just want to say thanks for the condolences from all you guys, really meant a lot and I'm glad I have this place to share bits of my life with, happy or sad...you're a great bunch of people and I love all you guys ***hugs****

36. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Shannon For This Post:

araucaria (9th October 2015), Bluegreen (8th October 2015), Calz (9th October 2015), Caren (9th October 2015), dan33 (10th October 2015), Dennis Leahy (9th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), meeradas (9th October 2015), RunningDeer (8th October 2015), Selkie (8th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), skyflower (9th October 2015), transiten (10th October 2015), ulli (8th October 2015), Wind (9th October 2015)

37. Link to Post #46639

Tom brought out his planetary software for this weeks Pele report.

The new moon and Sun are in Libra, and dark moon Lilith, North Node of the moon & Mercury (stationing direct tomorrow) -Hurray!!!! are all conjunct in Libra this weekend.

Love

Nora

38. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Post:

3(C)+me (9th October 2015), araucaria (9th October 2015), Calz (9th October 2015), dan33 (10th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), RunningDeer (9th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), skyflower (9th October 2015), transiten (9th October 2015), ulli (9th October 2015), Wind (9th October 2015)

39. Link to Post #46640
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Quote Posted by skyflower (here)
    The other day, I was having lunch with an old friend I haven't seen for many years.
    The conversation drifted to a UFO sighting I had while out with her and another friend many years back. I mentioned about the strange light when it happened, many years ago, and they just brushed it off laughing back then. The other friend assured me it was a satellite falling out of orbit.

I told this friend during lunch, that I was dead serious, that it couldn't have been a satellite because it flew up in the blink of an eye.
    She was shocked to hear this from me, and asked me if I believed there was life out there.

I told her of course, because it would be insane that we would be the only intelligent life in an universe as vast as ours.

She told me that I was talking scary talk, and wanted me to stop.

It hit me then, why we don't have full blown official disclosure. I saw the face of the sleeping populace.

Maybe this slow leak style is actually a merciful method.
    It certainly is, skyflower. I sometimes examine how I would react to an alien walking through the door (never mind through the wall!): it’s not because I am open to the idea that it would necessarily be all that straightforward. Think how hard it is to conduct normal business with someone with a facial or other deformity or someone with an odd name like Dumbass. The acclimatization has been going on in more than just the obvious ways too. In country areas round here, you will rarely if ever encounter a black person. I remember as a child, the first black men I saw were running the Olympic 100 m final on TV. And I still recall the strange fascination at the first one I spotted 100 m away in the street. Society as a whole has progressed in leaps and bounds, but that just means the entire bell curve has moved along, with its median position and its extremes. There are still plenty of kids whose only ‘comfortable exposure’ will be tennis or soccer stars on TV. While some people are cavorting with lions and tigers, others are still scared of a mouse, or of dogs, from Rottweilers to poodles. And so many still treat the opposite sex as an alien species, with little understanding.

We are talking about a very primitive survival instinct picked up in the plains of Africa that we need to learn to overcome. I can’t help thinking that the reptilian aspect of one group is merely how the reptilian brain processes a presence that puts a person on high alert. Should we override that defence mechanism, and if so how? The question dissolves into the habitual issue of trust. Most humans you can trust, but there are just enough scoundrels out there to make things really awkward. Are the nasty lookers all nasty? Are the beautiful humans all beautiful people? By our earthbound standards, it can’t be that simple. But are our earthbound standards operative here, or is beauty in the eye of the beholder? Actually, beauty in the eye of the beholder is our earthbound standard. A primitive view of blacks is that they all look indistinguishably ugly; a more evolved view of the same population is that they all look as different from each other as whites, and with the same variety and quality of beauty and plainness as whites. All that has changed is the perception, from the strange uniformity to the familiar mixture. But meanwhile the moral quality of both groups has improved as they move away from racist crimes and misdemeanours towards comfortable cohabitation and mixing.

Building trust through communication is like filling a canal lock with water: when the level on the inside reaches the level on the outside, first up and then down (or vice versa), you can open the lock and allow free passage, but not before. The same ship can sail at a different altitude than before.

40. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Calz (9th October 2015), genevieve (10th October 2015), Krist (9th October 2015), RunningDeer (9th October 2015), Sierra (11th October 2015), skyflower (10th October 2015), transiten (9th October 2015), ulli (9th October 2015), Violet (10th October 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2332 of 2703 FirstFirst 1 1332 1832 2232 2282 2322 2332 2342 2382 2432 2703 LastLast